IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 10: Even Less Relevant to the BRF

Coconut Flan

On 7/6/2022 at 1:22 AM, just_ordinary said:

But I absolutely can see different scenarios where HMTQ did not give them permission to use Lilibet and was surprised and not too happy about it and H&M thought she did all of it. I can be down to mere semantics.

Here are some other scenarios:

• the Queen blinks back tears of joy when she learns the name
  • The Queen is too busy with Boris Johnson to give it much thought
  • The Queen meditates on the matter and decides it's ridiculous to expect adults to ask her permission about names.
  • The Queen and Harry watch the BBC together and laugh about all the outrage.
  • The Queen shouts with joy, "Finally, a baby named after me!"
  • The Queen says "Bugger all this bloody fuss, it's just a name!"
  • The Queen feels a burst of love towards Meghan and starts texting her every day Meghan feels super-important and her self-confidence enrages a segment of the public.
  • Move Along 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 2

LOL! How delusional can a person be to think Harry & Meghan are some sort of special favourites of the queen who she has all the giggles with about everyone else after their numerous public attacks on the institution she presides over?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

LOL! How delusional can a person be to think Harry & Meghan are some sort of special favourites of the queen who she has all the giggles with about everyone else after their numerous public attacks on the institution she presides over?

Agreed. I’m sure the queen is sheltered from some of it, but she probably shakes her head and says, “What IS he thinking?!”

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

The Queen is not some lonely older woman desperate for affection and company with Harry and is children the only light in her joyless  existence much less in need  his protection. I’d think  the Sussex’s actions over  several years would rather worry her, sadden her, anger her, confuse her and just wear on her always waiting  for what H&M are going to pull next. 

• Upvote 4

Actually, from what I've read, all the royals are pretty lonely people. They rely on their servants for companionship.

Think about it. There are a big group of people the royals wouldn't consider befriending. You and I, for example. People with "new money." (Kate's family was wealthy long before Party Pieces). Clerks at Fortnum and Masons.  

The remaining group of aristocrats they *might* become friends with. But these folks still have to call them "ma'am" or "sir", still must bow or curtsey, and may very well be intimidated by them, or interested in using them for their influence. Not a recipe for a close friendship!

Reportedly, the Queen insists being called ma'am by everyone around her, and would never agree to skip the courtsy. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if she was lonely.

But no, she isn't like the abandoned, neglected elderly lying in nursing homes around Britain. She's far more fortunate than that. She eats off solid gold cutlery and has dessert plates worth hundreds of pounds! (too bad she doesn't donate some of them to those nursing homes, they could be sold and provide a lot of comfort).

It's great that so many people know how the Queen thinks and feels. It seems like the consensus is that she is "offended." I think that's is possible of course. It's equally possible that she is thrilled. Most likely, she doesn't care nearly as much as the people here! She's 96, probably with some level of cognitive decline, and reportedly trying to "tie things up." She may not be as offended as everyone wishes.

And even if she is offended, who cares? It's not her kid.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 3

On 7/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

(Still would have stayed clear of Lilibet.)

That is you. Everyone is different, and can name their kid as they please. 

Why do people think that H&M would make the same naming choices as they would? Every couple will do things differently. 

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that H&M wouldn't care what you named your kid, and would respect your freedom of choice. That's actually a pretty mature way to think.

• Downvote 1

Anyone else have very little interest in Harry and Meghan but is following this thread purely for the bickering and trolling about STUFF THAT NONE OF US KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT REALLY!!!???

Just me?? 🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 23

Absolutely! But the image of her Majesty giggling while watching TV with Harry and weeping tears of joy while shouting  and being Meghan’s BFF is  purely Trollettas fan fiction. It’s not based on what we know of the situation and what we know of character of the persons involved. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

That is you. Everyone is different, and can name their kid as they please. 

You don‘t say.

Funny how you tend to just assume the Sussexes‘ view on things and even praise them for being „mature“ when you have absolutely no idea if they would snark about my kid‘s name or not. Reads like fan fiction to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

You claim parents can name their child as they please but should they? Little Adolph Dahmer Jones might  or Butterfly Rainbow Sparkle might disagree which is why some countries most certainly do have naming rules. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Anyone else have very little interest in Harry and Meghan but is following this thread purely for the bickering and trolling about STUFF THAT NONE OF US KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT REALLY!!!???

Just me?? 🤣🤣🤣

*raises hand

YES! I've followed the BRF since I was very young; I remember when Prince Charles was invested as Prince of Wales, I was about 11 at the time. I avidly read the Marion Crawford books (The Little Princesses, etc) and everything else about the royals both present and past that I could get my hands on at the library. At one point I thought it would be amazing to marry into the family--Prince Andrew (gag me now) or Prince Edward would do, I didn't want to marry the heir to the throne, too much responsibility. LOL. But seriously, think of the access I'd have had to palaces and castles and stately homes, OMG. As a very amateur historian, I'd have been in heaven (well, until I realised what a horrific human Andrew turned out to be).

In 1981 Charles visited the US before his marriage to Diana; my mother and I went to Colonial Williamsburg, a stop on his tour, and got to shake his hand! 😮 And of course like millions of others, we got up at 4 in the morning to watch the wedding, and then later, sadly, Diana's funeral. I cried for a week when she died. 

Harry and Meghan? Well, I did watch the wedding, though not at 4 am. I waited til it aired again later in the day. I'm too old for those early hours now.😆 But otherwise, I haven't really followed them much, especially once they dumped their jobs in the BRF and moved to the US. I'm not here to snark on them much, can't be bothered. But I'm enjoying the hell out of the comments here, especially the ones made with such AUTHORITEH! as if they were right there in the very room when something happened, eyes peeled and ears attuned.

Far better than television these days, this stuff. Cheers, all. 🍻

Edited by Loveday
Riffles
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

You claim parents can name their child as they please but should they? Little Adolph Dahmer Jones might  or Butterfly Rainbow Sparkle might disagree which is why some countries most certainly do have naming rules. 

Lilibet and Adolph are the same?

In this country, we enjoy the freedoms provided by the First and Fourteenth Amendments. I don't aspire to live in a country without these protections. With very few exceptions. we can name our children as we please.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Just me?? 🤣🤣🤣

We'll never know what the royals are thinking.

I want to comment on Harry calling the UK his home, despite living in California. I'm originally from California, but I live in Maryland now, and likely will for a very long time, if not the rest of my life. It saddens me, as California is my home. I miss California a lot, every day really. 

But my husband has his dream job here and are kids were both born here and are going to school here. Maryland is what is right for us and our family, even if I don't think of Maryland as my home. 

So I understand how Harry might feel. He would prefer to live in the UK because that's where he was raised and he's attached to it, but he has moved for a variety of reasons that he feels are right for him and his family. 

Personally, I would be very hurt if someone told me it was weird to think of California as not my home. It just is. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I want to comment on Harry calling the UK his home, despite living in California. I'm originally from California, but I live in Maryland now, and likely will for a very long time, if not the rest of my life. It saddens me, as California is my home. I miss California a lot, every day really. 

But my husband has his dream job here and are kids were both born here and are going to school here. Maryland is what is right for us and our family, even if I don't think of Maryland as my home. 

So I understand how Harry might feel. He would prefer to live in the UK because that's where he was raised and he's attached to it, but he has moved for a variety of reasons that he feels are right for him and his family. 

Personally, I would be very hurt if someone told me it was weird to think of California as not my home. It just is. 

Let me repeat that I was not saying Harry shouldn’t think of the UK as his home.  I said I understood how he felt, that it is part of his identity.

Where I was trying to get to in my comment was that Harry isn’t exactly “homeless” when he is not in the UK.  He has a second home which he seems to prefer at the moment. Since his argument that he “can’t go home” without special police protection has never been convincing to me—I think it’s either paranoia or a ploy for attention—I have to snark a little at the “poor little prince” with two homes who feels ill-used because he isn’t getting the “protection” he wants to feel comfortable in the UK.

I was not in any way suggesting that there is something wrong or odd about feeling that where you were born and raised is “home.”  

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

Where I was trying to get to in my comment was that Harry isn’t exactly “homeless” when he is not in the UK.  

Did Harry say he was homeless? Not sure where that was coming from. 

I can certainly understand feeling adrift and out of place living in an entirely new country. But it's more than that. Not only is he used to English ways and English language, he is used to Royal ways and now he is a private citizen.

Although he lives in a gorgeous part of the world, he must be experiencing a lot of changes and adjustments. I'm not sure I understand why this is something to snark about. You are scraping the bottom of the snark barrel here lol!

Edited by Jackie3

If he is really homesick adrift and the like well it’s a case of be careful of what you wish for and act in haste repent in leisure  as He chose this whole new world and now has to make the best of it.  He has Millions, a lux mansion, two healthy children and Meghan to rely on so I suppose he will muddle through somehow :)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Personally I don't care what H &M named their children but IMO, they can't have it both ways. Either "we named our kids to honor the queeen" or "we named our kids whatever the hell we want regardless of what the stuffy old queen thinks." Can't have both at the same time.

• Upvote 11

II used to follow a blog called The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor; she stopped posting a few years ago but the conversations are all still there.  Those people were Royal Followers, capitalized, and some of them had inside knowledge.  I am sure that is where I read that royal baby names were approved by Her Majesty.

• Upvote 4

I loved that blog! Those people both knew the most obscure trivia about what Swedish Princess in 1832 wore what necklace and had very very funny Royal fashion snark.  If  a certain piece of info was mentioned there chances are there is a basis in truth.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Personally I don't care what H &M named their children but IMO, they can't have it both ways. Either "we named our kids to honor the queeen" or "we named our kids whatever the hell we want regardless of what the stuffy old queen thinks." Can't have both at the same time.

But it’s not that simple. There’s a huge difference in their eyes between the queen and Granny. I can’t even imagine trying to balance the two. I think Harry can have disagreements with the institution of the royal family and yet have a fierce love for his grandmother that has been a major maternal figure in his life since he was a child. At the end of the day, though, Granny IS the head of the institution that he disagrees so vehemently with. It’s a messy situation. 

As for the queen approving baby names, everything I’ve read suggests that it’s been informal approval. Such as “oh, that sounds lovely” (green light) or “that’s an interesting choice” (change the name ASAP). 

I also think the queen has ran out of fucks to give over the years. Things she cared about in the 70’s and 80’s don’t bother her today. When you almost reach 100, I doubt approving of baby names for a great grandchild is really that high on a priority list. 

• Upvote 7

That makes sense unless it’s say William And Kate had suddenly decided to name the tiny future King Jaxxon Braxton of Cambridge or Something else trendy. I don’t really think she cares what the rest name their kids.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

If he is really homesick adrift and the like well it’s a case of be careful of what you wish for and act in haste repent in leisure  as He chose this whole new world and now has to make the best of it.  He has Millions, a lux mansion, two healthy children and Meghan to rely on so I suppose he will muddle through somehow :)

LOL, I doubt he's regretting anything in warm, dry, sunny Montecito.

montecito.jpg.8122b13bb61a2d46d85614210c2eded3.jpg

A lot better than a huge, damp castle with bats, or a small, ancient cottage with bats. 

3 hours ago, viii said:

I also think the queen has ran out of fucks to give over the years. Things she cared about in the 70’s and 80’s don’t bother her today. When you almost reach 100, I doubt approving of baby names for a great grandchild is really that high on a priority list. 

Exactly. The extremely old generally know not to sweat the small stuff.  Besides, who knows how clearly she is thinking, anyway?  

4 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

I am sure that is where I read that royal baby names were approved by Her Majesty.

Until they are not. It's the parents choice to have the Queen "approve" the names. Harry and Meghan have chosen not to go that route.

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

But they do! They do have it both ways!

They have named their baby Lilibet because they wanted to honor the Queen, without asking her approval. (Unless they did)

They have it both ways.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

LOL, I doubt he's regretting anything in warm, dry, sunny Montecito.

montecito.jpg.8122b13bb61a2d46d85614210c2eded3.jpg

A lot better than a huge, damp castle with bats, or a small, ancient cottage with bats.

This is absolutely not royalty related and probably very petty of me. I should let it go but you keep bringing it up, so I can‘t:

It may astound you but not everyone in the world would want to live in California. Many of us like having four distinct seasons and not being surrounded by drought, forest fires & way too many gun-carrying idiots. There are many beautiful places in the world and people do not need your pity for living in Britain (which is far more interesting in landscape, climate & culture from my point of view than California) or anywhere else. For me personally, California is nice for a holiday but that‘s it. There, I said it. Sorry for that, friendly Californians. 😅

I know what you are going to say „but Harry and Meghan like it and … “. Good for them! I would just like to inform you that the rest of the world might not feel like they have been excluded from paradise just because they don‘t get to live in Montecito or anywhere in the Golden State. 

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

56 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

It may astound you but not everyone in the world would want to live in California. Many of us like having four distinct seasons and not being surrounded by drought, forest fires & way too many gun-carrying idiots. 

In the winter, there is plenty of snow only 45 minutes from Santa Barbara! They can easily experience all four seasons. This is part of what makes Santa Barbara so magical. They can ski and surf on the same day!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic