IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 10: Even Less Relevant to the BRF

Coconut Flan

41 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I have never wanted to live in California, but I am fine with Harry and Meghan being happy there.  I am not sure, however, that they like it because of the weather.  I think what they like is the opportunity to be near other celebrities.  (There are other areas with great weather where they could live just as well—possibly for less.)

Or the more reasonable option is that it’s where Meghan was born and raised? But yes, let’s assume that it has to do with them wanting to be near celebrities. I’m sure that’s it. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Coconut Flan said:

.  …

After they then chose to lash out publicly after not getting their way 100% and they've landed in a nearly irretrievable situation.  I don't think they have a clue that they will need to apologize for some of their errors and behavior and that it isn't a one way street on reconciliation.  

My understanding is they feel they are owed an apology, that other people ought to “reach out” to them and be concerned about their feelings.

The Oprah interview, and the other “revelations” they came out with at the time seem to have been regarded by them as a “cry in the wilderness” for everyone to understand and sympathize and apologize.  They were probably surprised and hurt that there was no rush to make them feel better, but instead the “trial period” of their separation from the RF was brought to a close. (It was supposed to be a full year, but the announcement was made a couple of weeks before the year was up.) 

I don’t know why Harry was so angry about not getting more financial help because they always said that their purpose in stepping back as “working royals” was to make their way/earn their own money.  It is possible that H and M just didn’t realize how expensive the life they wanted to live would be.

Anyway, what it comes down to, I think, is that H & M’s expectations and those of the rest of The Firm were sort of at odds.  Neither side can see the other’s POV.  

• Upvote 4

Please. They live there because it’s the place for The Who’s who of The rich,  famous and infamous and wannabes to be seen, to Shmooze, to make deals and the like.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, viii said:

Or the more reasonable option is that it’s where Meghan was born and raised? But yes, let’s assume that it has to do with them wanting to be near celebrities. I’m sure that’s it. 

🤷‍♀️  She was not born and raised in the community in which she is now living.  The general area is pretty big, and the folks where the Sussexes now live are not the folks that Meghan socialized with a lot in her youth.

I’d guess she wanted to be near her mother, but her choice of the particular location for their home reflects identification with the “celebrity” community.  I am not snarking about it necessarily.  They are celebrities.  I just don’t think it was the California weather that led them to choose Montecito. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone who thinks they moved to California for the weather is dumb. It’s Meghan’s roots, snarky assumptions aside. 

• Upvote 2

@EmCatlyn That was pretty surprising. They literally said, in their statement, one of the reasons they decided to step back was to “work towards financial independence”, and “value the  opportunity to earn a professional income” and “having the future financial autonomy to work externally” (1st statement around June, 9th). That was when they announced they would pursue a more laid back role but would be happy to go on tours of behalf of HMTQ. In general this first statement listed very different reasons than what is discussed now, but that’s a different topic. At Sandringham it was agreed that PC would help them out financially, but it seems they expected him to continue to do so over the agreed trial period, basically till they felt they don’t need his money anymore. They can’t have been surprised to be cut off after appearing hyper successful with their big deals (Netflix & Spotify)? It was also in H&M statement after Sandringham that “there are well established independent procedures to determine the need for publicly-funded security “ (around January 18th). I really can’t understand their, or mostly his to be honest, ongoing tantrums about it. 
I am convinced he thought they could basically have a levelled up Beatrice/Eugenie status. A job, private charity work and only supporting the family once in a while, but also security 24/7, tours, financial support and front row seats. Completely ignoring that H was mostly unneeded anymore with 5 heirs all lined up. 
I am also convinced they could have achieved a lot of it, if they had been smarter about it. 
Well, that’s all old news. What I really wonder if why there is still isn’t any real output. Even 15year olds can manage to generate regular output on different platforms, that is perceived interesting and entertaining by their followers. So many people manage this as a side hustle while going to school/university/work and raising a family. With no staff. There really is no excuse for them.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, viii said:

Anyone who thinks they moved to California for the weather is dumb. It’s Meghan’s roots, snarky assumptions aside. 

But why should it not in part be about the entertaiment industry in the LA area? The said, they wanted to make their own money and she is an actress… Moving there looks like a reasonable job related decision. No snark here. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Please. They live there because it’s the place for The Who’s who of The rich,  famous and infamous and wannabes to be seen, to Shmooze, to make deals and the like.  

They seem to be good at the schmoozing and the making deals. They don't seem to be too good at the follow up.. you know, the actual doing of the work they contracted to do for the money..

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

But why should it not in part be about the entertaiment industry in the LA area? The said, they wanted to make their own money and she is an actress… Moving there looks like a reasonable job related decision. No snark here. 

I’m sure the connection side is an added bonus. It’s hard to say either way. Should Meghan have been born and raised in a small town in Idaho, I doubt they would have moved there. While we’ll never really know their true motivations for moving to California, I think it’s safe to say that Meghan’s childhood is a strong part of why they returned. 

• Upvote 3

I think that if they can generate the value of their contracts into a substantial fortune, they will likely move down to Malibu. Just a gut feeling based on working in LA in my twenties.  But they would need to spend $30 million + to get the compound they would want in Malibu.

I’m surprised we haven’t had any Spotify podcasts this summer from them. Podcasts can have both low production costs and quick turn arounds.  Their management must be pulling their own hair out - they take a percentage from the money earned.

I understand that it takes time to produce tv content, and they also are likely finding it much harder to produce tv content then they originally thought, but they could have been producing podcasts all spring and summer.  As @just_ordinary pointed out, there are plenty of  less educated, unconnected people out there that have generated such income from their own computer in their house.

• Upvote 4

It all comes down to the fact that even with his inheritance(s) and whatever money she brought to the table  they won’t have enough to live the life they live in the place they live plus pay all those lawyers they love to use liberally and PR people they blow off  indefinitely without producing something to sell. Unless they have invested wisely which good for them if so. 

• Upvote 3

On the Oprah interview show, Meghan was wearing a $5,000 maternity dress when she was due to give birth to the child that was to definitely be the last one.  Would she even wear it again?  I don't know how much money he inherited, but I have watched people spend a fortune that the general public would consider enough to fund a lifetime of luxury.  If all the money is going out and no money is coming in, that can happen.  Harry was petulant about "my father CUT ME OFF!!!".  I have flown private; it was 10 or so years ago but a short distance, pilots waiting while I attended a funeral, then back home, was $2500.  How much did they spend on their trip to the latest celebration?  I just see money and more money being spent and not much energy expended to bring money in.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, MomJeans said:

I think that if they can generate the value of their contracts into a substantial fortune, they will likely move down to Malibu. Just a gut feeling based on working in LA in my twenties.  But they would need to spend $30 million + to get the compound they would want in Malibu.

I’m surprised we haven’t had any Spotify podcasts this summer from them. Podcasts can have both low production costs and quick turn arounds.  Their management must be pulling their own hair out - they take a percentage from the money earned.

I understand that it takes time to produce tv content, and they also are likely finding it much harder to produce tv content then they originally thought, but they could have been producing podcasts all spring and summer.  As @just_ordinary pointed out, there are plenty of  less educated, unconnected people out there that have generated such income from their own computer in their house.

Meghan is meant to be bringing out her Archetypes podcast "this summer" though as far as I'm aware, no actual dates have been announced. As for Netflix, the only thing announced has been the Invictus doc but no idea when that would be released. 2022 seems to be a bit of a washout for the Sussexes entertainment-wise.

• Upvote 3

They're going to be lucky to get between 1/10 and 1/4 of the contracts at the rate they're producing content.  Those things have time limits built in and I'm sure they're running through extensions.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Most likely they were banking on Jubilee footage or a least something Royal related to keep the media interested but they were not as slick as they thought with his family and their advisors are on to their ways and now they have Jack all as a selling point. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

They're going to be lucky to get between 1/10 and 1/4 of the contracts at the rate they're producing content.  Those things have time limits built in and I'm sure they're running through extensions.

Almost all their projects—including Harry’s autobiography—seem to have been delayed.  Of course, they don’t exactly have to worry about being homeless, but I wonder if they will be able to keep the lifestyle they have if they don’t become more successful.

• Upvote 4

I think they’ll be able to keep their lifestyle but they’re going to find it harder and harder to work with people once they become known for not delivering. 

• Upvote 8

In in NYC today, the news this evening said that the duo will be in the city next week to celebrate Nelson Mandela.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

On 7/11/2022 at 4:11 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

Just a guess but I think neither Harry nor any other royal ever had to clean bat poop from the living room floor at Balmoral Castle. The bats are probably hanging in some attic or barn to sleep. It‘s not l like they crave contact with humans.

Nope,  the bats are in the house, according to reports. And they poop inside the house! It lands in the carpet, in the tapestries, ugh. Bats are fine, but bat poop is another matter. It is also a health hazard to breathe it. 

It's true, though, I doubt the royals are cleaning it up. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, tabitha2 said:

His Dad and Gran would have helped him as needed from their own funds I am very sure. 

This is great to know. I had no idea how the Queen and Charles spend their money, since I've never met them. I'm glad you do, and are willing to share this insider info. Thank you!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, LilaMae said:

Meghan is meant to be bringing out her Archetypes podcast "this summer" though as far as I'm aware, no actual dates have been announced. As for Netflix, the only thing announced has been the Invictus doc but no idea when that would be released. 2022 seems to be a bit of a washout for the Sussexes entertainment-wise.

My question is, if it’s again only one episode or if there are actually several episodes. Because one episode is still an embarrassing turn out. And especially the lack of podcasts cannot be excuse by the pandemic. With all the technology there would have been no need to meet up in real life at all. Everyone could have done their job from the safety of their homes. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

My question is, if it’s again only one episode or if there are actually several episodes. Because one episode is still an embarrassing turn out. And especially the lack of podcasts cannot be excuse by the pandemic. With all the technology there would have been no need to meet up in real life at all. Everyone could have done their job from the safety of their homes. 

A lot of actors have started podcasts about their old shows during the pandemic, which further supports your point.

• Fake Doctors, Real Friends about the series 'Scrubs' started at the end of March 2020 (note that they didn't take a pandemic induced break)
  • Drama Queens about the show 'One Tree Hill' began in June 2021
  • Welcome to our show about the show 'New Girl' began this January
  • Parks and Recollection about the show 'Parks and Recreation' began in August 2021
  • Welcome to the OC, Bitches! about the show 'The OC' started in March 2021. They uploaded videos to youtube which show that the hosts are not physically in the same place

Aaaaand now I'm wondering for how many actors that was a good way to generate some income during the pandemic.

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

It's supposed to be about the stereotypes that have been placed on women and is meant to include guests, so it must be multi-episode. It wouldn't surprise me if the amount of episodes that come out are less than Spotify originally hoped though.

I don't use Spotify, but do they usually announce in advance when a new podcast is coming out?

I hope that the lack of output from these kinds of "big name celebs" help media outlets like Netflix and Spotify realise that just because someone's a celebrity, doesn't mean that they are going to produce successful content. There are so many talented unknowns who would do great things with the opportunities that were handed to the Sussexes based on their names.

Edited by LilaMae
added more info
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Quite interesting.

The Queen's household can sexually or racially discriminate against employees, and those employees have no legal recourse. In 2010, when the most recent anti-discrimination law was passed, the Queen was STILL protected in this way.

The Queen can hire based on racial preference,  her employees can harass a Black employee, she can pay Caucasians more than BIPOC employees.  Under British law, this is all OK

The Palace doesn't have to follow safety, health, or pension laws,  the laws that are designed to protect employees. Palace employees are completed unprotected by these laws. If their work conditions are unsafe, they have no recourse to make them better.

When a major environmental laws was being passed in Scotland, the Queen's lawyers pushed until she was given an exemption.  All this was done secretly. Do as I say, not as I do, eh, Charles and Wills?

Scottish police cannot inspect the Queen's fishing boats, which she rents out. If a fugitive is looking for a place to hide, that's the place to go.

Nor can environmental inspectors.  If a boat is poorly maintained and leaking oil into the water, no one will ever know. 

The Queen is exempt from paying private taxes. Only after severe criticism did she start paying *some* taxes. She also doesn't have to give tax authorities any information. 

The Queen is immune from civil actions, and all prosecutions! This means the Queen can do illegal things, but cannot be prosecuted for them. She's literally above the law!

When she buys land, she pays no tax. When the Palace makes deposits at landfills, they pay no tax. It goes on and on.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:17 AM, viii said:

Should Meghan have been born and raised in a small town in Idaho, I doubt they would have moved there.

Montecito has a population of 8,000. It is 2 hours from LA.  Celebs do live there, but it is hardly in the buzzing epi-center of the entertainment industry. That is a couple of hours away, depending on traffic.

If you plan on going on a lot of auditions in LA, you do not want to live in Montecito. 

I've been there. It is actually a rather sleepy and boring place. I was surprised at how quiet it was. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, tabitha2 said:

Is this wrong, for some reason? Illegal? As I said above, Montecito is a really quiet place, but even if it were the center of Hollywood action, what is wrong with them making deals? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic