IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 10: Even Less Relevant to the BRF

Coconut Flan

Somebody said

However, according to people who knew Meghan when she was young, she was inspired by Diana’s style and compassion in her humanitarian work as a young girl.

Meghan reportedly owned Diana’s biography, felt her death in a “keenly personal way” and cried watching her funeral.

In his book ‘Meghan: A Hollywood Princess’, renowned royal biographer Andrew Morton said that, according to family friends, Meghan was “intrigued” by Diana and saw her as a role model.

She started collecting clothes and toys for less privileged children with her friend Suzy Ardakani, a move that was inspired by Diana.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1408236/meghan-markle-princess-diana-oprah-interview-royal-family-prince-harry-idolised-spt

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Culture/meghan-markle-wanted-princess-diana-20-childhood-friend/story?id=54172226

Morton interviewed Markle’s teenage friends who claim Markle was crying as they watched the funeral for Diana in 1997.

If true it would indicate some level of awareness.

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I would hope most people care about someone  dying horrifically and needlessly and unexpectedly leaving 2 children motherless Even if they have a lot going on in their lives.   If the people around you weren’t capable of that empathy that’s very sad. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Anyone interested in current events or The BRF or pop culture would have been following the Charles and Diana saga. I was 16 as well and knew the the basics of what was going on. 

My 14-15 year old Christian school students at the time of her death knew all about it and her. And they were somewhat sheltered. It was huge news all over. Our troll is smoking crack on this one. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

If true it would indicate some level of awareness.

Again, I'm sure she was aware. It was all over the news. Whether she decided to dedicate her life to becoming a new Diana--that's another matter.

Some royalist really admired Diana. Many other see her as unstable, uneducated, and deeply troubled. I didn't know her, so I can't say. But not everyone thinks she was a great model for a modern princess.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

My 14-15 year old Christian school students at the time of her death knew all about it and her. And they were somewhat sheltered. It was huge news all over. Our troll is smoking crack on this one. 

Thank you!

I guess it takes critical thinking skills to understand the difference between "hearing something on the news" and "deciding to become the new Diana."

I suppose there were slavish Diana lovers, but Meghan? She was young, beautiful, and ambitious, and probably had many other things to think about at 16.

I can see her trying to become the new Madonna, or Mariah Carey. Certainly not a stodgy, unstable, royal like Diana. Actually, who would have wanted to be the new Diana? Her life wasn't enviable.  Isolated in the Palace, married to an adulterer, supremely uneducated and unintellectual, she wouldn't be many people's role model.

• Move Along 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This reminds me a bit of the time when a photo of Meghan with some magazine that had Kate on the cover was shared, after she had claimed to not really have known much about Harry and his family. Found it:

https://www.news24.com/amp/you/royals/news/old-photo-resurfaces-showing-meghan-markle-posing-with-a-magazine-that-has-kate-middleton-on-the-cover-20210518

I don‘t get why she feels the need to lie about this. It‘s not a crime being interested in royalty. I wouldn‘t have blamed her. 

Oh and that little story about learning how to curtsy spontaneously just minutes before meeting the Queen? Yeah, right… 🤣

• Upvote 5

On 7/18/2022 at 8:33 PM, SoSoNosy said:

This seems to be a credulous news source, for the most part.  I saw this article when I was skimming other local news (I know this isn't what you would call local).

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/prince-harry-meghan-markle-sought-24520501

The story that Harry and Meghan want to see themselves as Diana’s heirs and  thought their Australian tour showed they had “Diana magic” is hardly new.  It also has a lot to support it, including H & M’s own statements. (Small aside: I bet all this “I am my mother’s son” stuff is one of the things that gets on his brother’s nerves.)

It is impossible to know what really goes on in other people’s minds, but I do think that (for different reasons) Harry and Meghan have felt inspired by what they see as Diana’s legacy.  I don’t fault them for that, though I agree with Bolton that they may be missing the point that Diana worked very hard.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Again, I'm sure she was aware. It was all over the news. Whether she decided to dedicate her life to becoming a new Diana--that's another matter.

Some royalist really admired Diana. Many other see her as unstable, uneducated, and deeply troubled. I didn't know her, so I can't say. But not everyone thinks she was a great model for a modern princess.

Thank you!

I guess it takes critical thinking skills to understand the difference between "hearing something on the news" and "deciding to become the new Diana."

Aww changing the goal posts... I was responding to, "she was too young to remember". There is also a difference between "old enough to remember" and "decided to dedicate her life to becoming a new Diana".

Anyway, there's nothing that says a new Diana has to be unstable, uneducated and a bad role model, necessarily.

In theory, a beloved princess could be happy and reasonable and kind.

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 11

I don’t think that her statement about not really knowing about them is wrong per se. She, like us, would only know what’s in the public sphere and about 75% is mere speculation. Of course she didn’t know about them as private individuals. Or the real inner working of the monarchy. She would have had a very distorted view. Maybe more rose coloured than what many long term watchers would expect, but I don’t doubt it would be a MASSIVE culture shock for everyone.

This is a classic example of when they say things that can be interpreted in different ways. They are happy with the easily drawn conclusions because it fits their narrative but it’s always possible to say- wait a minute that’s not what we actually said/meant and than they can feel unfairly judged and hated. That’s why I take almost everything they claim with a grain of salt. A bigger one than just the usual -obviously there is always a PR angle with everything we get by celebrities/royals/other vips….

• Upvote 5

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that all of the kids who idolized Diana and wanted to be her wanted to be a popular princess with a fairytale wedding, get flattering photos taken and nice things written about them while hugging babies and wearing fancy dresses for charity, and have a hairdresser and make up artist to make sure you  look always good.  If they'd thought about it, probably none of them wanted the funny looking prince who has phone sex with another woman, the stressful tight schedule with forced smiles  and no privacy, all the rules and security, lack of freedom or  the occasional bad press.

It's the idea of Diana that people idolized, more than the nitty gritty version.

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 7

On 7/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, Jackie3 said:

I was unaware Prince Andrew was long dead. I thought he was still alive and screaming at his servants. He sounds like his treats them horribly. Has Tom Bower written a book about him? 

I hope Tom's book show that Harry was "upset" a lot--upset about Christmas photos, upset about the Jubilee--since that seems to be the desire outcome. Everyone wants him upset and unhappy! Serves him right for wanting a different life. 

I'd advise you to join you daughter and her high school classmates at their "top ranked school"... but on second thought that would be ridiculously unfair. To both the teenagers and the teachers. By chance do you have any elementary school age children? Preschool age would be ideal. That might be more in line with your gaping deficits in the most rudimentary basics in the English languages, which according to everything you've ever posted here, is your native and only tongue. I normally would never judge someone based on this, for countless reasons including but not limited to there being a number of types of intelligence, but you have the unearned and blind hubris to judge teachers and other educators as being worthless compared to what you believe is your own superior capabilities... which are, in reality at best, laughable  incompetence. You're too pathetic and not remotely close to bring witty, subversive or even nasty enough to be even rubbish satire or a preteen's first attempt to troll.

For example "some" is a word that means part of but not all. So when you use PA and Princess Margaret as your two examples and I say some of your examples have been long dead, and your response, where you try to mock me saying that you didn't know PA was dead..  that means

you either think Margaret is still alive or your literacy is at such a low level you'd fail standarsized testing aimed at American 1st graders. 

I'm going with the latter. 

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Thank you!

I suppose there were slavish Diana lovers, but Meghan? She was young, beautiful, and ambitious, and probably had many other things to think about at 16.

I can see her trying to become the new Madonna, or Mariah Carey. Certainly not a stodgy, unstable, royal like Diana. Actually, who would have wanted to be the new Diana? Her life wasn't enviable.  Isolated in the Palace, married to an adulterer, supremely uneducated and unintellectual, she wouldn't be many people's role model.

You are right, about all of it. Everything.

May the rest of us continue gossiping now?

• Haha 13

7 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My 14-15 year old Christian school students at the time of her death knew all about it and her. And they were somewhat sheltered. It was huge news all over. Our troll is smoking crack on this 

I'm about 5 years younger than MM and even in the rural mountain town I lived in, teen girls knew of Princess Di and more importantly Will and Harry. One of my friends had a huge crush on Prince Harry and even though I wasn't I helped her write them letters and send them in, something we still laugh about. 

Edited by zee_four
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, zee_four said:

I'm about 5 years younger than MM and even in the rural mountain town I lived in, teen girls knew of Princess Di and more importantly Will and Harry. One of my friends had a huge crush on Prince Harry and even though I wasn't I helped her write them letters and send them in, something we still laugh about. 

Many of those girls adored William. The more look-aid drinking ones wanted to save the whole family. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, louisa05 said:

My teenage daughter at the time (a year older than Meghan) was all over the Diana news and funeral.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

My teenage daughter at the time (a year older than Meghan) was all over the Diana news and funeral.  

Your daughter and I are the same age and I remember being devastated at her death. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Melbelle said:

The Body Language Guy did an analysis of a video of H&M from their UN event.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye75UdJ7NPY

That was interesting. I’m not a body language expert, but just in a slight defense of both of them, I do think Harry is used to the concept of “no PDA while working (i.e. official public appearances)” that the Queen and Philip and William and Kate followed/ow. Meghan could view PDA as “no big deal” and be annoyed that he won’t treat the way he does in private in public. 
I doubt there’s trouble in paradise, but more likely this is another instance where they just have never been able to reconcile their two different backgrounds and expectations. How that will play out in the future remains to be seen.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Yup, I think he‘s reading too much into it. Body language experts often do, if you ask me. And this one is very biased. He really loathes Meghan and adores William & Kate to no end. It gets too much even for me. 😄

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

I doubt there’s trouble in paradise, but more likely this is another instance where they just have never been able to reconcile their two different backgrounds and expectations. How that will play out in the future remains to be seen.

Good point about Harry being used to no PDA in public as a result of his royal upbringing and one does have to consider that being in the RF, he would be raised from a very young age to follow rules of how to conduct oneself in public that were a lot stricter compared to the average person, even in his own homeland.   

Regarding the death of Diana, I remember Mr. No telling me from the news and I was just shocked.  It seemed very surreal at the time.   

• Upvote 2

What bothers me about the interaction is it's very clear that Harry doesn't want to hold her hand in this situation, at that moment.  Regardless of how they each feel about PDA in general or how they were raised to view it, it's clear that he is uncomfortable with holding her hand at that moment.  In my opinion he looks bothered when she grabs his arm back and then proceeds to hold it with two hands.  I genuinely feel sorry for him in that moment, because he's clearly not interested in PDA right then.  His bodily autonomy should be respected.    

(Full disclosure, I've only watched the video on mute as I have very noisy children playing around me right now, but after watching their interaction in the video, this is my view of what's happening.)

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Anyone interested in current events or The BRF or pop culture would have been following the Charles and Diana saga. I was 16 as well and knew the the basics of what was going on. 

I was also 16 at the time, an American in California and followed the Royals closely. Even if I didn’t have a grandmother who followed them religiously, I still would have been aware and know the gist of it. Many of my friends were not very into the royals but pretty much all of them knew the basic goings-on. William was hugely popular with girls my age because he was handsome and a Prince-exactly what we were raised to want with all those Disney movies! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think it's interesting how Wills and Kate can fly around on private planes to award environmental prizes. The papers say little or nothing about this hypocrisy. In fact, Wills uses helicopters (a huge polluter) just to travel around the UK!

When Harry and Meghan fly private, though, it's in all the papers. A mixed race woman flying private! Drives'em crazy.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

A sample of Bowers book for those interested. 

https://www.overdrive.com/media/9114429/revenge

Interesting! I love how her father--a white guy-- decides there was no racism in Los Angeles during Meghan's childhood. Good to know, white guy! I'll tell all the BIPOC folks they are just making stuff up!

In fact, Bower decides that race wasn't an issue in Los Angeles in the 90s at all. It's great that this white boomer from LA has decided this for everyone else.

I think the Hollywood Schoolhouse would be quite amused to hear Bowers call them a "favored creche." Because everyone uses that term in LA.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I think it's interesting how Wills and Kate can fly around on private planes to award environmental prizes.

As of now, they haven‘t. You might want to wait with the bitching until december. 😉

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic