IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 44: Michelle wearing a stupid skirt over leggins which is not news at all

HerNameIsBuffy

3 hours ago, Sops2 said:

They may be at an ugly Christmas sweater party, but why is Ben wearing a Saltire (Scotland flag) beanie?

There can't be many of these in Arkansas thrift shops

You’d be surprised, I bet… Scotland, and the highlands in particular, are a very popular destination for tourists from the US. I did a hiking vacation n 2019, based out of Inverness. I lost count of the Americans I encountered who were there for an “Outlander” tour, and most of them were 40ish, White women from Southern/Midwestern states. I can easily believe someone from NWA grab that hat on vacation, especially since the cool summer temperatures can catch someone from the US off guard. (No judgement against Outlander fans - I’m currently reading the new sets book, but didn’t plan my trip because of the books or show).

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Was he around for their trip to the UK? 

Seewald is a German name, but maybe it's an interest in family history? That's a stretch, though, as I don't think they've mentioned being interested in family history. 

A German last name doesn’t mean that all of his ethnic heritage is German.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Jessa posted a video from the ugly christmas sweater party. Here is who I saw at the event:

• Jim Bob, Michelle
  • Anna, all Ms
  • Jana
  • JD, Abbie, Grace
  • Jessa, Ben, kids
  • Joe, Kendra (who did not dress for the event), and kids
  • Josiah
  • Jed, Katey
  • Jason
  • James
  • Jackson through Josie

Not there: Dillard family, Vuolo family, Lauren and Bella, Forsyth family, Justin and Claire

I did not listen to the audio, so references could have been made to why people were not there. 

Tyler was also there, as was Jonathan Harnoto. I listened to the audio and Jessa didn’t say anything about anyone who wasn’t there. 

• Thank You 5

Ben and Jessa gave his parents a trip to Scotland and England for their 25th anniversary in 2019. Maybe they brought him back a souvenir.

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 1

48 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Tyler was also there, as was Jonathan Harnoto. I listened to the audio and Jessa didn’t say anything about anyone who wasn’t there. 

I was including Tyler in the Jackson through Josie line. Dude is so tall now I did a double take. And yeah, Laura and another couple were there as well as Jonathan. 

• Upvote 3

Jessa and family seem to have moved into their new house judging by the video. You could only see the kitchen, but it looked nice and spacious. I thought it was funny that she did a commercial break mid video - that was her own promotion of some natural type deodorant/body wash. Then back to the ugly sweaters. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Jessa and family seem to have moved into their new house judging by the video. You could only see the kitchen, but it looked nice and spacious. I thought it was funny that she did a commercial break mid video - that was her own promotion of some natural type deodorant/body wash. Then back to the ugly sweaters. 

That's her old house

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

About the ad, I posted in the Seewald's thread that Native won't be partnering with Jessa anymore due to complaints about her homophobia.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 7

Love that Ivy’s ugly sweater involves wearing a collar that looks like what Michelle used to dress the girls in according to 1990 IBLP frumpstandards.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 12

On 2/2/2022 at 3:46 PM, theotherelise said:

Jessa posted a video from the ugly christmas sweater party. Here is who I saw at the event:

• Jim Bob, Michelle
  • Anna, all Ms
  • Jana
  • JD, Abbie, Grace
  • Jessa, Ben, kids
  • Joe, Kendra (who did not dress for the event), and kids
  • Josiah
  • Jed, Katey
  • Jason
  • James
  • Jackson through Josie

Not there: Dillard family, Vuolo family, Lauren and Bella, Forsyth family, Justin and Claire

I did not listen to the audio, so references could have been made to why people were not there. 

Lauren was at the party and probably Bella too. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

Well having visited Jinger in California (not that you’d know it from Jinger’s Instagram) Jason is now in Keystone enjoying some winter sports. When do these people find time to work??

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Idlewild said:

When do these people find time to work??

Lololololololololol!

Seriously, though, how this many adults manage to afford to travel like they do and not work boggles the mind.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

@neuroticcat They say they never received any form of payment for their involvement in IBLP. I think this is a lie- while I don’t think they made big bucks from their appearances ( but did benefit from other speaking engagements and appearances ) I do think they were paid even if it was free attendance for all the family at events and discounted ALERT fees etc.

If what they say is true, then their distancing of ‘we only believed bits of it, we follow God not man’ sounds even less believable- they were willing to put themselves out physically and financially year after year to appear at IBLP  events?  Duggars like cash and free stuff too much.

Edited by Idlewild
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, Idlewild said:

@neuroticcat They say they never received any form of payment for their involvement in IBLP. I think this is a lie- while I don’t think they made big bucks from their appearances ( but did benefit from other speaking engagements and appearances ) I do think they were paid even if it was free attendance for all the family at events and discounted ALERT fees etc.

Exactly. Even if they got just free meals and a free camping spot at Big Sandy during family camp, that is still a "form of payment"

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

NBC released their IBLP article - pretty benign actually but maybe will be news to people unaware.

Yeah, I was kind of underwhelmed by this article, especially given the long ass statement IBLP published to their site. But I guess maybe they were just trying to get ahead of it in case it was explosive…

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

That article was extremely anti-climatic. It basically sounded dated - yes, creepy old guy leader was called out me-too style - over 3 years ago. yes, internet killed the church revival camp star. yes, men having more power than women and children helps creepy creepers creep. yes- any kind of authoritarian movement attracts disillusioned people looking for structure. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

If anyone is interested, Emily Elizabeth Anderson, Jane Doe III, in the lawsuit against Bill Gothard, published her story on her Facebook page, Thriving Forward, last night.  It’s too long (8 parts) to screenshot and post here, but it’s pretty insightful about what happened to girls/women at IBLP headquarters.  I figured some of you here might find it interesting.  

It definitely makes me wonder if any of the Duggar girls were victims of his as well since we know they spent time at some of his camps.  I really hope none were - that would be doubly awful to be victims of both their own brother and BG.  

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

I hope you will allow me a quick walk down memory lane. I remember when 19KAC was quite popular on TLC sometime in the 2000's. It was the same time Jon/Kate/8 was also the rage, and Jon&Kate were renewing their wedding vows. I worked in an elementary school at the time. Several teachers were thoroughly enamored by both shows. The teachers projected their love of children and their concern for the welfare and education of all children onto the TV images TLC promoted of both families. They used words like "sweet" "adorable" "so much fun!" "comical" when talking about Duggars and Gosselins.

It sickened me that these pretty terrific teachers were so duped. I grew up in a large Catholic family and before I was 10, I saw how much thankless work it was caring for a large, poor, very dysfunctional family. I also knew how skewed reality TV was. It was rather disappointing to find that teachers of all people didn't grasp the fakeness of these shows. 

I never spoke up because living in a small town has its own cult-like existence. Better to be silent.

Years later I came across FJ, not sure how. But it was such a relief to know others saw the true colors of Duggar beliefs. 

If you've ever seen the video for "No Rain" by Blind Melon, that's what it felt like meeting up with FJ. [Video description: A young girl wearing a homemade bee costume and large glasses does a tap dance routine; the audience laughs, the girl runs away in tears. She wanders through a city, dancing for a bunch of different unimpressed people. Eventually, she peeks through a gate, astonished, opening it join a group of "bee people" of all shapes and sizes dancing joyfully in a large green field.]

• Upvote 19
  • Love 13

Cross posted from Anna and Josh thread...

Looks like we now know the infamous letter writer.  The one who left the letter in the homeschooling book about Josh's molestations about the same time as Alice was informing Oprah?

Kayleigh Holt.  It was in the summary judgement issues today dismissing the sister's lawsuit against the last two defendants for improper redaction.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 15

33 minutes ago, sndral said:

I was just going to link an article reporting the summary judgement https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2022-02-09/judge-dismisses-duggar-sisters-suit-over-records-release

I don’t know much about the Holts, was Kayleigh the Holt Josh was originally slated to marry?

Yes, that was her.  Talk about dodging the bullet of a lifetime.

And Alice is said to also be related to the Bobye Holt and the letter writer.  Alice is said to have passed away in the last few years.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

That must be really frustrating that the court acknowledges that the report shouldn’t have been released, but since it wasn’t intentional harm, and it was a government agency - they aren’t liable. No one else gets that kind of protection, and they had a city  lawyer review the request, so the ignorance of the law claim seems unfair.

Most interesting was the amount of extensive disagreement among the sisters, and the judges irritation with it.  I’d assume they’d all have different recollections and experiences - but what were they fighting about? Or maybe I misunderstood that section. 

• Upvote 7

So just to be clear, the Duggar women lost their lawsuit.  Not because Arkansas was right to give out the police reports but because even though they were criminally incompetent they were doing it with good intentions and misunderstood the law.

The Duggars lost the case, but the courts agreed that the reports should never have been released.

I feel pretty sorry for them, worst of all worlds.

Not my sympathies are not with JB/M/JailDuggar but with the sisters who are completely innocent of everything, used by their parents, abused by their brother, had their private lives splashed across the media which it turns was illegal, but don't get compensation.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic