IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 44: Michelle wearing a stupid skirt over leggins which is not news at all

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Nah, Covid has not stopped these folks at all. Plus, they own and pilot (not always successfully) their own planes.

Their planes are not suitable for an Arkansas to California trip. Unless they want to spend two days traveling in a tin can with no bathroom. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Guanabana said:

Their planes are not suitable for an Arkansas to California trip. Unless they want to spend two days traveling in a tin can with no bathroom. 

Um they used to travel all over creation and back in RVs stuffed full of people, and those even required sleeping!

And what about living in a 3 BR/2BA house with a family of 17? 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Guanabana said:

Not to mention that they all have terrible motion sickness.  That would be a rough ride cross country. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Um they used to travel all over creation and back in RVs stuffed full of people, and those even required sleeping!

And what about living in a 3 BR/2BA house with a family of 17? 

The RV and the house at least had bathrooms. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/11/2022 at 2:38 AM, TuringMachine said:

Just looked her up and it turns out these days she's very vocally against gender reveal parties, and the general idea of trying to define a baby's gender before they're even born. Quite the juxtaposition with Josh and Anna. 

What really annoys me about “gender reveals” is that they are really “biological sex reveals” since gender is a social construct. I realize that most people assign gender according to biological sex (I do myself, except when told otherwise), but when we are talking about babies in utero, what is really being “revealed” is whether it’s biologically a male or a female.

(I am sure the Duggars use “gender” as a more polite way to say “sex,” but that is incorrect usage. If you are not going to accept that gender is a cultural classification, the you should say say “sex.”)

Incidentally, somewhere earlier in this discussion someone referred to fetus cake gender reveals, and I swear for a moment I had a vision of a cake shaped like a fetus. 😁

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

Am I the only fan of Samantha Bee's show?

They did a short piece last week that was fast but hit a lot of the points we get on the Duggar's for, they mentioned; quiverful, Gothard (and his issue), the schooling issues, Nike, and how messed up they are in regards to patriarchy, plus Josh, and what was most interesting to me, they put up a image with several other quiverfull shows and actually lumped both versions of the Bates shows in with the Duggar's. While not a huge thing overall, it is good to see them actually addressing these shows and the issues with them under the surface. Also mentioned Tatertot casserole, they hit a lot of the FJ's Greatest hits against the Duggar's!

Ironically, I have never actually watched a Duggar's episode and they drug out some ancient footage, but none of the family sound like what I thought they would in my head, reading about them.

Wanted to add a link 

Edited by tankgirl
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 18
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Guanabana said:

2 days? It's less than a day to California from the east coast and Arkansas is closer than the east coast. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

2 days? It's less than a day to California from the east coast and Arkansas is closer than the east coast. 

In a jet, yes. The Dugs only own smaller prop planes. A trip that long would be drudgery in a Cessna. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

In a jet, yes. The Dugs only own smaller prop planes. A trip that long would be drudgery in a Cessna. 

I forget who was giving birth in Arkansas, but Josiah flew Lauren, Michelle and Jana from a Bates wedding home. Josiah landed on a field midway due to someone needing a bathroom break. Jana commented it would have been faster to drive.

A friend flew his upper class, 6 seater from WA to NJ. He says he would never do it again. It took too long, the child who flew with him was over it after two hours (they used the plane to fly into and out of WA from an island) it was a nightmare. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Nah, Covid has not stopped these folks at all. Plus, they own and pilot (not always successfully) their own planes.

I think in the first couple /few months of Covid in Spring 2020 they were probably concerned about it, and if Jinger was in California by then,  you weren’t even supposed to leave your county - remember? Beaches closed. Parks closed. In my area they even had fines for folks from out of the area who came without a valid reason. It SEEMS like a million years ago! Motels only for essential workers. Virtually nothing open. No restaurants to stop at.
I know Arkansas wasn’t that way - or at least not for long - I don’t think they ever had an official shut down? But even after that initial period - you still need masks to fly, at the airport, etc… which sounds really hard to add to the usual pains of traveling with little kids. I don’t know the flight age requirements but for California in general it was age 2 and up needed masks indoors (and outdoors initially) . 

Covid aside - It seems like they average seeing each other in person once or twice a year, which is a pretty fair amount given they are also juggling toddlers, pregnancies, life in general. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

What really annoys me about “gender reveals” is that they are really “biological sex reveals” since gender is a social construct. I realize that most people assign gender according to biological sex (I do myself, except when told otherwise), but when we are talking about babies in utero, what is really being “revealed” is whether it’s biologically a male or a female.

(I am sure the Duggars use “gender” as a more polite way to say “sex,” but that is incorrect usage. If you are not going to accept that gender is a cultural classification, the you should say say “sex.”)

Incidentally, somewhere earlier in this discussion someone referred to fetus cake gender reveals, and I swear for a moment I had a vision of a cake shaped like a fetus. 😁

It's not even "proper" sex reveal, as several things make up human sex. I suppose if they do both ultrasound and chromosome testing, it is a bit more certain, but just an ultrasound would not always tell the full story. 

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

It's not even "proper" sex reveal, as several things make up human sex. I suppose if they do both ultrasound and chromosome testing, it is a bit more certain, but just an ultrasound would not always tell the full story. 

Very true.  They only do ultrasounds, as far as I know.

So— amusing possible scenario.  The ultrasound said “little girl” so the “gender reveal” is all pink, and everything the baby gets is either pink or lavender. Everything is planned to raise this new precious baby as a little girl.  The baby is born and —it’s a boy.  Oops.  The ultrasound got it wrong. “Someone run and get some manly blue clothes for that baby! We don’t want him to get confused about his gender.” 

Now TLC might want to film that: “Expected a Girl but Got a Boy.  A good Christian Family joyously prepares for a little girl only to discover that the expected baby is a boy. Fortunately a cousin with boys saves the day with some hand-me-downs so the newborn won’t start his life on this earth as a transvestite. Tune in to learn how the family handles this surprise. Will they change the nursery to blue before baby gets home from the hospital? What is to be done with the pink clothing and girly toys?  Will the store take back some of those bows?  Everyone pitches in and all is well in the end.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Probable external genitalia reveal?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

On 3/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, Guanabana said:

on the mMedic Corps site Nathan Bates says he is licensed for fixed wing planes. Can they travel those distances?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, patsymae said:

on the mMedic Corps site Nathan Bates says he is licensed for fixed wing planes. Can they travel those distances?

Since he has a multi-engine rating, he could theoretically fly a larger plane that distance, but who knows what aircraft they have available to them.  I doubt the Bates' own one big enough to do that trip...it would be cheaper to fly commercial.   

• Upvote 6

On 3/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, SassyPants said:

Wait…are you saying there are pilots in the Duggar family? 😄

• Haha 16

2 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Big news, right!

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

True story. Almost 40 years ago I had an ultrasound with wolf cub 2. Doc said it was a girl. Didn't look like anything to me. Ultrasounds weren't very clear back then. Come the day, planned c section, doc pulls baby out and announces "it's a girl" . Mr. Wolf says, " no it's not, it's a boy". Indeed, it was our little Wolf boy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 15

23 hours ago, Cam said:

I like Samantha Bee and found her commentary about Too Many Duggars well done.

"The only time I feel joyfully available is when I am at a party and there are sliders".

I feel you hehehe! I always thought Michelle's "joyfully available" reference was the grossest thing.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

14 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

This joke honestly never gets old. 😂

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

On 3/17/2022 at 12:20 AM, Bad Wolf said:

True story. Almost 40 years ago I had an ultrasound with wolf cub 2. Doc said it was a girl. Didn't look like anything to me. Ultrasounds weren't very clear back then. Come the day, planned c section, doc pulls baby out and announces "it's a girl" . Mr. Wolf says, " no it's not, it's a boy". Indeed, it was our little Wolf boy. 

I’ve told this story on here before. We had family friends who had an amniocentesis and were told they were having a boy but the baby arrived with female genitalia. The parents were given counseling on raising a child with hermaphroditism but luckily this was after the point where they automatically did surgery. A few months later they found out that the lab had switched their samples with someone else- the baby was genetically and developmentally female. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, Bethella said:

I’ve told this story on here before. We had family friends who had an amniocentesis and were told they were having a boy but the baby arrived with female genitalia. The parents were given counseling on raising a child with hermaphroditism but luckily this was after the point where they automatically did surgery. A few months later they found out that the lab had switched their samples with someone else- the baby was genetically and developmentally female. 

Oh I would be livid the lab made a mistake like that. That must’ve been so stressful trying to learn everything about intersex children and worrying your child would face discrimination and bigotry and all because of a mix up. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic