IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 8: Time's Most Insufferable

nelliebelle1197

They need to be careful trying to project influence that they no longer have.  The stage after people noticing that is frequently either being thought ludicrous or a bully.  

• Upvote 5

On 3/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, adidas said:

I usually loathe this writer but she put forward an interesting perspective re Cambridge vs Sussex statements.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/mockery-over-harry-and-meghans-ukraine-statement-highlights-issue/news-story/31b3a74f33316660f22f5b2baea9fcd0

Thanks for posting the link. I tend to get impatient with the Sussexes precisely because their pronouncements are almost always pompous and shallow. It does seem, as this author suggests, that they are trying to cling to the “diplomatic importance” that they gave up when they stepped back as senior royals. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

I can't get impressed with that, sorry. That took absolutely no energy or sacrifice; they signed a piece of paper.  Is it just me or is Meg slow losing the baby fat?

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 9

36 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

Is it just me or is Meg slow losing the baby fat?

Wow what a progressive remark for 2022. Well fucking done. 

• Upvote 11

On 2/25/2022 at 4:10 AM, louisa05 said:

They’ve done nothing. Their charity barely took in any money and didn’t give out any substantial donations. They gave lip service to some random causes. I don’t recall that they’ve even done that in regard to racism issues…unless you count publicly claiming everyone they know is racist. 

I suspect this is the usual machinations of Hollywood PR buying attention for clients. As was the “dress of the year” award for the bird poop frock. 

If anything they've really made a mockery of issues of racism. As another half white half BIPOC I won't question Meghan's personal experiences with racism because there's no question she's had to deal with it, and she is allowed to feel and perceive her experience without criticism. And as someone who is lighter skinned and half white its a weird place of some privilege over your BIPOC family and community but still being too BIPOC in other circles. Its a hard and weird place to be. But she's not just sharing her personal experiences and leaving it at that.

But instead she has labeled herself some sort of revolutionary leader of the cause and that she represents all poor and downtrodden BIPOC women. Not only that but she continues to try to glorify supposed poverty she grew up with using stereotypes and clueless anecdotes that show how economically privileged her upbringing really was in comparison to the groups she's trying but failing to cosplay. That wouldn't be a problem of she hadn't tried to insist she was something she wasn't and that because of these false claims of belonging, that alone was enough to make her some great hero changing the world to help. Almost every statement she's made has made a mockery of real poverty and real daily life for the vast majority of BIPOC especially because she continues to claim an impoverished background she didn't have and instead has made up what comes off as honest to God cringy satire some MAGA SM wannabes would create to mock the clueless liberal elite only she thinks she's being serious and genuine. She hasn't done a thing for race and gender issues or for BIPOC women in poverty like she thinks she has. Everytime she opens her mouth she sets real activists and real work toward bettering women and girls worldwide especially those who are BIPOC and or low income.

She didn't have to crown herself the queen of the poor BIPOC women but she did and as such she deserves to be criticized for her failure to accomplish anything other than making a laughing stock pretending to relate to the very real, very crushing issues poor BIPOC women and girls face every day.

Everytime she gets an award intended for those bringing change and helping BIPOC, low income and or women for doing nothing but existing, she takes the cause back another huge leap. If MM is the darling of rising up from the ghetto and becoming the next Mother Theresa then clearly BIPOC poor and women aren't suffering and being discriminated against. She's disgustingly blind tobger own privilege and as a force in society is no different than any of the other elite.

Our people and young women and girls especially deserve a better "leader" than MM. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

18 hours ago, viii said:

Wow what a progressive remark for 2022. Well fucking done. 

I thought we could snark here.  Oh well.  I'm fat, if that helps.  

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Fuck You 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

I thought we could snark here.  Oh well.  I'm fat, if that helps.  

You’re free to snark all you please but that doesn’t mean people won’t call you on your bullshit comments. I thought we received enough body comments from men that we didn’t have to deal with it from other women but I should have known better. If you want to snark at Meghan Markle, there are a thousand other things you could snark about then her weight. 

• Upvote 6

You know, honestly, I didn't think of it as snark;  people said the same thing when my daughter's baby was 6 months old.  When you are in your late 30's, the baby weight is slower to disappear.  If I could take back the "snark" comment I would, but you caught me off guard and I didn't reply responsibly.  I'm sorry.  I didn't like Meghan when she first appeared on anybody's radar, and I got trounced for that so I just didn't say much.  Since I have a weight issue, I will comment that I would have worn a more flattering dress, because she appears to consider her appearance important.

• Fuck You 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

You know, honestly, I didn't think of it as snark;  people said the same thing when my daughter's baby was 6 months old.  

So instead of thinking “gosh what an awful comment someone made to me when my daughter was 6 months old,” you took it to mean it’s acceptable to body shame others for the same thing? 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

They didn't say anything to me, they said it to my daughter when HER youngest was 6 months old.  At that time, no, I didn't feel all body shamed and neither did she.  Body shaming wasn't a terrible term in those days, it was simply a comment.  And it's still just a comment.  And I didn't body shame, I made a comment here, at FJ, where I have seen worse.  I am having a PET scan on Thursday to see where my cancer decided to recur, so I'm not going to get on my knees and grovel.  

• Fuck You 1

I'm sorry that you're going through cancer treatments right now and I wish you nothing but the best for that but that is not a valid excuse as to why you made a shitty "comment". It's body shaming, whether you said it to Meghan's face or posted it here on FJ because guess what - there are probably a lot of people on this board that are either a) similar sizing to Meghan or b) also had a baby less than a year ago and your "just a comment" has now made them feel horrible about themselves. Just because you've seen worse on FJ doesn't give you a right to contribute to the vitriol. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

I'll give you that, and for that I do humbly (seriously) apologize.  I verbally don't like Meghan and what she's done, and I allowed that dislike to override anything else in my head.  I'm obviously not thinking straight.  If I am able to, I will delete.  If not, then a moderator might want to.  I only aimed at Meghan.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

If I am able to, I will delete.  If not, then a moderator might want to.  I only aimed at Meghan.

This is more informational to posters, but we don't usually redact or edit posts for people except in very unusual circumstances.  We discussed it and this situation did not qualify.  

The discussion seems to have moved on and would not make sense if we changed the beginning post.  Thank you!  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

On 3/13/2022 at 3:06 AM, zee_four said:

the groups she's trying but failing to cosplay

I love that phrase.   Yeah, what bothers me is that Meghan in many ways had a very privileged life, even if she grew up biracial in a racist world and wasn’t a millionaire. Instead of acknowledging her privilege and using it to make her point about those less fortunate, she tries to pretend that she was poorer and more disadvantaged than she really was.

She could have so easily taken the line of, “I was well-educated and well-dressed and [discriminatory act] still happened to me. Imagine how much worse it is to the poor woman who didn’t finish high school and can’t afford nice clothes”  She could have found common ground with those less fortunate by addressing the importance of a good mother or whatever.  She could legitimately talk about her discomfort with racist remarks.   She didn’t have to pretend to have had experiences that she didn’t have, much less represent herself the “champion” of anything other than herself.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

….. would be a great new thread title. We are due for a new one anyway.

Harry and Meghan 9: trying and failing to cosplay

Because it’s also very true on several levels. H has had one of the most privileged upbringings and lives in the world. And while he undoubtedly faced difficulties, his sob stories just show a stunning disconnect between his perception and reality. Millions of parents have bad relationships with their in laws, suffer from (mental) health problems, go through extremely ugly divorces or die in horrific/traumatic circumstances (we don’t all have to walk behind a coffin through streets full of people- I will give him that). His position is not as special as he thinks it is and he needs to accept that after decades he won’t get special treatment around it. Just like having to give up the privileges that come with working in the family business. It doesn’t matter if you quit or were pushed or got fired. It doesn’t matter if it was unfair. 
And both look rather pathetic at this point pretending they are some sort of better than the rest royals, carrying any significance in the political or humanitarian sphere. They missed to chance to build up a strong positive reputation like Diana when it comes to their causes and work ethic. Their comments and books and whatever use their titles at desperate length because it helps them sell it to fans, but their titles significance is basically on the same level as Fergies when she sells another diet or romance novel. They are deluded in thinking their titles underline their words and action with any power. Those days are gone. So they are also cosplaying royality and the influence those titles can have if executed in the realm of the mix between monarchies as political spheres and the works.

And on a different note- isn’t it interesting that H cannot visit his grandfather’s memorial (where he very probably would have gotten police protection because it’s going to be an event full of important people) but go to the Netherlands to promote Invictus? I don’t know if the Netherlands have a different way of handling private armed security and the sharing of confidential/delicate informations than the UK. I am not surprised and I actually think it’s a blessing. It will spare us a month overanalysing every interaction, every wrinkle in clothes, every raised eyebrows or strained smiles and how the women wore this and that to emphasise this or that about what they really think…..

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

….. would be a great new thread title. We are due for a new one anyway.

Harry and Meghan 9: trying and failing to cosplay

Because it’s also very true on several levels. H has had one of the most privileged upbringings and lives in the world. And while he undoubtedly faced difficulties, his sob stories just show a stunning disconnect between his perception and reality. Millions of parents have bad relationships with their in laws, suffer from (mental) health problems, go through extremely ugly divorces or die in horrific/traumatic circumstances (we don’t all have to walk behind a coffin through streets full of people- I will give him that). His position is not as special as he thinks it is and he needs to accept that after decades he won’t get special treatment around it. Just like having to give up the privileges that come with working in the family business. It doesn’t matter if you quit or were pushed or got fired. It doesn’t matter if it was unfair. 

And both look rather pathetic at this point pretending they are some sort of better than the rest royals, carrying any significance in the political or humanitarian sphere. They missed to chance to build up a strong positive reputation like Diana when it comes to their causes and work ethic. Their comments and books and whatever use their titles at desperate length because it helps them sell it to fans, but their titles significance is basically on the same level as Fergies when she sells another diet or romance novel. They are deluded in thinking their titles underline their words and action with any power. Those days are gone. So they are also cosplaying royality and the influence those titles can have if executed in the realm of the mix between monarchies as political spheres and the works.

And on a different note- isn’t it interesting that H cannot visit his grandfather’s memorial (where he very probably would have gotten police protection because it’s going to be an event full of important people) but go to the Netherlands to promote Invictus? I don’t know if the Netherlands have a different way of handling private armed security and the sharing of confidential/delicate informations than the UK. I am not surprised and I actually think it’s a blessing. It will spare us a month overanalysing every interaction, every wrinkle in clothes, every raised eyebrows or strained smiles and how the women wore this and that to emphasise this or that about what they really think…..

Yes! Thank you just and @EmCatlynfor eloquently and concisely hitting the nail on the head! That's exactly how I feel but haven't been as brilliant as communicating. That's my precise issue with MM. I also feel duped for trying to support her at first as another mixed race woman whose been through the working class-middle class cycle most of my life and always try to acknowledge the privilege I've been blessed with, especially compared to the abject poverty my dad grew up in as a Native and that almost all of his ohana still battles, and that he and my aunties raised me when I bounced back and forth between my parents growing up. I desperately wanted her to succeed, only to see the mockery she's made of very real issues putting them back a decade easily..

But onto the fun stuff like titles!That would be a first after 6 years (in and out admittedly) and about 2 maybe 3 before as a lurker. Moving on up! Could I suggest something like "Cosplaying the poorz" maybe?

I'd be much more impressed if they were just cosplaying Harry Potter or Dr. Who, although I'm sure Megs would have a super exaggerated and cringe attempt at a British accent. An A list Hollywood feature length film megastar she was not. I mean there's nothing wrong with being a meh C list standard cable show one shot. I happen to watch a lot of meh standard cable shows and can't act my way out of a paperbag. I wasn't even a good tree, and being 6 feet tall and compared within the context of a public middle school Wizard of Oz production that's saying something. 

But yeah, almost anything would be better than cosplaying a poor woman of color from the inner city trying to out Angelina Jolie Angelina Jolie in the most tone deaf way possible... except cosplaying a Nazi, but hubby already has that covered. 

Come to think about it maybe they really are a match made in privileged elite hell's new wanna be woke department. Perfect for each other.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

This going to the Netherlands business… Protection Shit!  He’s got to have start fulfilling those Netflix deals soon and it’s probably likely The Dutch will let him film and Also I have no doubt a way to stick it to the British government and by association his family by implying how much more accommodating and great this other country is! His entitled immense yet fragile ego can’t stand  being denied anything so petty revenge is up his alley. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, zee_four said:

wanna be woke department.

I kind of like this as a new thread title too. You and @EmCatlynare spot on about MM, imo.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think it's likely he's not entering the UK because it will interfere with his dumb lawsuit. 

I'm guessing Harry *has* to go to the Netherlands to film Invictus. He hasn't produced anything else for Netflix so far and they'll be wanting their money's worth. They were supposed to be producing a cartoon called Pearl about a young girl who time travels to visit famous women throughout history, but there seem to be a lot of delays with it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

(we don’t all have to walk behind a coffin through streets full of people- I will give him that)

I was four when the firefighters brought my grandfather out of his house, where he'd died of smoke inhalation/heart attack. The wind picked up the blanket covering his purple face. I turned into my mother's coat, but I didn't scream or break down.

I was five when I was taken to the open casket viewing of a parish priest who had died in a horrible car crash. Again, I went up to the casket and said a prayer.

I was eight when I was taken to my other grandfather's funeral, who'd died of cancer. 

These people were much beloved by me and my family just as Diana was by her family. 

Death is part of life. I simply do not understand why it was so traumatizing for Harry to follow the casket through the streets. He was surrounded by support. 

Death has to be met and understood at whatever age it's encountered by the person left behind. Yes, you can miss them. Yes, you can grieve them, but acceptance is needed to move forward. Yes, you can hold a grudge against whoever/ whatever you think caused it to happen. But nothing will bring that person back, and you must accept that, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 7

27 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I was four when the firefighters brought my grandfather out of his house, where he'd died of smoke inhalation/heart attack. The wind picked up the blanket covering his purple face. I turned into my mother's coat, but I didn't scream or break down.

I was five when I was taken to the open casket viewing of a parish priest who had died in a horrible car crash. Again, I went up to the casket and said a prayer.

I was eight when I was taken to my other grandfather's funeral, who'd died of cancer. 

These people were much beloved by me and my family just as Diana was by her family. 

Death is part of life. I simply do not understand why it was so traumatizing for Harry to follow the casket through the streets. He was surrounded by support. 

Death has to be met and understood at whatever age it's encountered by the person left behind. Yes, you can miss them. Yes, you can grieve them, but acceptance is needed to move forward. Yes, you can hold a grudge against whoever/ whatever you think caused it to happen. But nothing will bring that person back, and you must accept that, too.

This is such a narrow minded view. I understand these people were beloved by you and your family, but the rest of the world didn't care about them. Harry could never escape his grief as everywhere he went, people were screaming about his mother. There is a HUGE difference to losing a loved one and losing a public figure. I just don't understand how people can try to compare the two of them. 

Funerals are hard enough for children. I know adults who have remarked how difficult they found it to be in a funeral procession as a child and that was in a church or funeral home. That wasn't walking down Main Street London with literally millions of people watching, measuring and criticizing your grief and emotions. 

Harry has made a lot of mistakes and there is plenty to snark on when it comes to him but when it comes to the death of his mother when he was a child, I just don't understand why some people have to turn it into a pissing competition. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic