IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 8: Time's Most Insufferable

nelliebelle1197

Just to respond to some of the comments in the previous thread:

I don’t actually know how much damage Harry can or cannot do to the monarchy.  I have read different analyses, and I think no one really knows.  I agree that you can’t judge what a generation will do when it gets older.  So whether or not Harry’s antics will hurt the monarchy is hard to tell.  There are indeed other factors, especially with the Commonwealth, that are more important.

What I do know is that Harry is in a position to consider that his actions and statements may reflect poorly on his father, his brother, and the monarchy in general.  He may be stupid, but he hasn’t been living under a rock.  Whether or not he can do real damage, Harry must know that some of his actions or statements could hurt the monarchy and that the monarchy is his father and brother’s careers.

We keep coming back to Harry’s selfishness.  It’s not unusual for siblings to try to upstage one another, but it is rather childish.

On the possibility that the recent jaunt to NYC was part of some Netflix thing, I wouldn’t be surprised at all.  

• Upvote 2

The WSJ had this interesting article on the Sussexes and their content. I'm not sure I agree with all of it - I think they may be writing off the Sussexes' contents a little early, as they haven't really proven themselves bad value for money. They've made some good hires. 

But it does highlight the uncomfortable fact that any deal signed was likely done more with an eye for a payload of potential dirt than for the potential of Archwell's production team. 

• Upvote 1

I choked on my coffee reading the thread title.

I tip my hat.  🎩

(Also, I'm predicting a Netflix series created out of a few of these psuedo-tours over the next few months.)

• Upvote 3

I think the fact that Harry has seen the RF survive a lot of previous "scandals" and still keep the members in the future has overly encouraged him. Even things so simple as divorces and remarriage were probably a big thing back in those days. So he thinks his approach will be accepted, because give a decade or so and seemingly no one cares of it's in keeping with the times.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Xanariel said:

The WSJ had this interesting article on the Sussexes and their content. I'm not sure I agree with all of it - I think they may be writing off the Sussexes' contents a little early, as they haven't really proven themselves bad value for money. They've made some good hires. 

But it does highlight the uncomfortable fact that any deal signed was likely done more with an eye for a payload of potential dirt than for the potential of Archwell's production team. 

Thanks for the link.  It’s a good thoughtful article. It summarizes a lot that I didn’t know about the long process by which Meghan and Harry put together their deals with the entertainment industry.

I particularly liked the following quotes:

In essence, to escape a life under the microscope, they chose a different microscope.

And

[Archewell is] a company that will, in its words, “share impactful content that unlocks action.” 

So far, that has meant safe, feel-good programming. 

Archewell isn’t going to produce the next “Chucky,” as one business associate described it, but the team is trying to avoid programming that seems overly earnest.

And

While producing “The Me You Can’t See,” Mr. Kamen was approached by the producers of the Broadway musical “Diana.” It was being filmed for release on Netflix—the kind of adaptation Mr. Kamen’s company had done to great acclaim with the blockbuster musical “Hamilton.” He passed on the opportunity, worried that Prince Harry would be angry with him if he got involved with a show about his mother.

Mr. Kamen never mentioned to Prince Harry how he had passed on the project, but now he doesn’t know if the prince would have cared. After all, the prince and his wife soon signed their own deal with Netflix.

Very illuminating.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Xanariel said:

I think they could be very good value for money in the terms of Netflix and Spotify IF they are able to produce meaningful content outside their own hubris. If they are the meaningful content carrier it’s nothing but a big vanity project. Pearl might turn out to be such a great project. And what I miss is a better understanding what their personal input into those projects actually is. Pearl was not written by them as far as I know. They picked the idea and make it happen. That’s really really good, there are lots of promising projects they could use this support. But that’s very different than being in front of the camera or behind it, or having the idea! And with all the sympathy I do have for them, they should better stick with producing aka making great projects happen. They could massively support BIPOC, female, LGBTQ actors, screenwriters, artists, writers…..  but right now Netflix and Spotify is mostly a stage for themselves doing good.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

In essence, to escape a life under the microscope, they chose a different microscope.

There is literally no other option, though. As much as Harry has argued about privacy and whatnot, it's something completely out of his reach and always will be, no matter what decisions he makes. Harry cannot escape being famous, simply because of who he is. Even if he tried to fade away, there's always going to be people interested in every move he makes. 

I don't think he can be faulted for capitalizing off that, since there's a difference between choosing your microscope and having your microscope chosen for you (ie having to announce to the media when your wife goes into labor vs announcing the birth of your child on your terms). 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, viii said:

There is literally no other option, though. As much as Harry has argued about privacy and whatnot, it's something completely out of his reach and always will be, no matter what decisions he makes. Harry cannot escape being famous, simply because of who he is. Even if he tried to fade away, there's always going to be people interested in every move he makes. 

I don't think he can be faulted for capitalizing off that, since there's a difference between choosing your microscope and having your microscope chosen for you (ie having to announce to the media when your wife goes into labor vs announcing the birth of your child on your terms). 

I think the fundamental argument is very valid. Harry did nothing to be famous. He is and there will always be some interest in him. 
BUT he chooses not only to capitalise on it, but keeps it alive with everything in his power.  They could have easily decided to only notify after the birth. Would that have gone down well? Probably not, but it was still an option. Just as they decided not to do the photo op. Instead they said that would announce when she went into labour only to announce some muddy wording after the baby was born anyway.  
After stepping back, the hype was big but in the last months they lived pretty much off the radar and in 90% only appeared when they chose to do so. H&M can have much more privacy than many believe, they choose to be public personas though. Which is fine, but being in the public eye comes with intrusions, bad press, gossip, mean headlines and crazy speculations. That’s the price they all pay at one point. And there is definitely an alternative, so no, it is not out of his reach but he doesn’t want to life the kind of life that gives you that.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, viii said:

I'm not sure that really is the case though. 

If they chose to go and live in some out of the way state, far from the media and Hollywood blitz, and stopped all press releases, interest would die down sooner or later. They're not the only royals currently living in America. It would also be far easier to secure an isolated ranch or similar area than be guarded 24/7 in a bustling city. 

Certainly, the Cambridge kids will soon be approaching their teenage years, as the children of the next king, and that always hogs the spotlight from the older generation. See Andrew and Edward, who had scant attention compared to William and Harry even as working royals (until Andrew thrust himself into a most unsavoury limelight). 

Harry himself told a reporter, before meeting Meghan, that he knew he had only "a smallish window when people are interested in me before George and Charlotte take over". He wanted to make the most of the attention before he lost it. 

They wouldn't be anywhere near as rich as they are now, and they may no longer get attention for their causes when they wanted it. But it would be quite possible for them to sink into gradual obscurity.

It's just that - as they made clear in their own website before yanking it down - it wasn't so much about the privacy. It was about the fact that they didn't see why they weren't allowed to have taxpayer-funded perks while also getting to cut multimillion-dollar deals on the side.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

Gonna leave that here, because I think that’s one of the rare occasions Kate is utterly glamorous and on trend/modern. 
No one can convince me, H&M aren’t looking at the event and feel slightly regretful about their decision. If they had stayed, they so would have been there as well. And I think they miss that.

Spoiler

06973A22-3D4D-4BD9-B52B-BF5AD02685FF.thumb.jpeg.3408cb9c7283f735fd969e3d2b1d7289.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Meghan may have genuinely believed that these types of high profile Lux events, hobnobbing with Top Stars were going be her new normal and needy Harry did nothing to set her back down to Earth.  In reality glamorous gowns and star studded premiers  like this are only a small  part of a Royals life and work. 

• Upvote 3

Harry and Meghan can probably go to any movie premiere they desire so I'm not sure why they'd be so envious over this one? 

I agree that this is a rare time that Kate knocks it out of the park. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 5

40 minutes ago, viii said:

Harry and Meghan can probably go to any movie premiere they desire so I'm not sure why they'd be so envious over this one? 

I agree that this is a rare time that Kate knocks it out of the park. 

I think Harry is in a trickier position than Meghan because by leaving England, he’ll probably rarely be invited to events that showcase British projects (James Bond is their super spy after all), and since he’s not American, he not going to be asked to represent projects that are specifically American either.

Long-term, Meghan will be able to leverage the move better than Harry will.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

I think Harry is in a trickier position than Meghan because by leaving England, he’ll probably rarely be invited to events that showcase British projects (James Bond is their super spy after all), and since he’s not American, he not going to be asked to represent projects that are specifically American either.

Long-term, Meghan will be able to leverage the move better than Harry will.

When they left royal life in England for the life of celebrities in Hollywood, they left his world and moved into hers.  Naturally the move will be much easier for her in every way.

On the other hand, Harry seems to have disliked his life as a royal and has found the Hollywood alternative appealing.  As a celebrity he has to hustle more, but he doesn’t have to defer to anyone.  He may prefer the life of an expatriate where he can keep center stage to being in England where he was never going to be “first” in importance and yet would never have full control over his life.

He may get homesick and miss certain things, but he’s hardly the first person to move to another country for better opportunities.  😉  In the long run he may miss some things but still not regret the move or wish to go back for more than a visit.

As for being invited to events that showcase “British” things, I think he would have as much a chance (or more) of being invited to such an event as the average British media personality living in the US.  And he would always be the highest ranking Brit. 

• Upvote 1

@EmCatlyn but will he be able to live with the fact that he actually has to hustle for the rest of how long he wants that to go on? What if the public is cancelling him/them? Or rejects his actions specifically because he his British? Talking US public here, because the rest is already lost. I don’t know how true it is, that US veterans complained that he would hand out military medals in the US and that their criticism was deleted. And honestly, why would you take a mere captain in the British military for such a job? Could be complete bollocks though, I find it hard to keep up with the US based criticism and discussion around them or rather, I am not interest enough in their relationship with the US public.

To rise up into the ranks of the Gates, Clooneys and Obamas doesn’t happen in just 5 years. And they put tons of work and effort in it to build a profile. Their professional competence came first and was the strong fundamental from what they drew the trust of people into their charitable projects and causes. And they had to campaign for their causes (often with a way more narrow scope than H&M) for a long time to be taken seriously. There were years of work till it really paid off for them and they were seen as those great philanthropists. H&M want it all and they want it now.

• Upvote 2

I think majority of the US still loves them and applauds them for leaving. I think majority of the UK either doesn't care or hates them. I don't see the US cancelling him/them for a bit - and they'll love him even more because he is British. Americans love accents, lol. 

Harry and Meghan have the chance to become like the Gates/Clooneys/Obama's. Harry's birthright as a prince automatically gives them a leg up and they have the opportunity now to cement their position in the celebrity/humanitarian world. However - they need better advisors if they're going to do that. They need to actually figure out what the eff is going on with Archewell and develop it appropriately. They need to focus on their work and let that stand for their fame, rather than spilling family tea. So who knows if they'll get there - at this rate, it's unlikely. They need better advisors and PR ASAP but somehow I feel like they feel they know best so... c'est la vie. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

@EmCatlyn but will he be able to live with the fact that he actually has to hustle for the rest of how long he wants that to go on? What if the public is cancelling him/them? Or rejects his actions specifically because he his British? Talking US public here, because the rest is already lost. I don’t know how true it is, that US veterans complained that he would hand out military medals in the US and that their criticism was deleted. And honestly, why would you take a mere captain in the British military for such a job? Could be complete bollocks though, I find it hard to keep up with the US based criticism and discussion around them or rather, I am not interest enough in their relationship with the US public.

To rise up into the ranks of the Gates, Clooneys and Obamas doesn’t happen in just 5 years. And they put tons of work and effort in it to build a profile. Their professional competence came first and was the strong fundamental from what they drew the trust of people into their charitable projects and causes. And they had to campaign for their causes (often with a way more narrow scope than H&M) for a long time to be taken seriously. There were years of work till it really paid off for them and they were seen as those great philanthropists. H&M want it all and they want it now.

I don’t know anything about Harry handing out military medals in the US, but I would understand complaints.  However, handing out medals for athletic competitions or humanitarian deeds would seem just fine.

My impression is that their humanitarian “accomplishments” so far are limited, and that they are getting as much criticism as applause.  These private plane trips to talk about global warming suggest that they don’t “walk the walk,” and their recent suggestion that vaccine developers should just give their vaccine “recipes” (Harry’s word) to the poorer countries has been criticized as somewhat stupid. (It is not just the formula but the materials and the equipment, etc. that is be needed.)  In general, I think people like the glamour but don’t take them seriously.

As for having “to hustle,” right now he seems to enjoy it.  Down the road he may not, but that’s true of many of us when we change jobs and/or where we live.  There is often a period during which we are very happy and then the change may not seem as wonderful. Who knows?

The thing is, Harry has a choice.  As others have said, he could have pursued a quiet, private life and not needed to “hustle.”  I am sure that if they had presented the BRF with a plan to “semi-retire” and live quietly somewhere but be available for occasional public appearances on behalf of the monarchy, he would have had “security” while serving the crown and possibly an allowance from Charles to help out with their security when they were private. They might not have had a huge house with it’s own gym and playground, but they could have a much better house than most people, just living off what Diana left.  They chose the public, hustling, make-yourself-important life.  If they don’t go overboard and spend more than they earn, they can always cut back.

Edited by EmCatlyn
Typos
  • Upvote 6

On 9/30/2021 at 11:05 AM, tabitha2 said:

I think it’s only Rabid Diana groupies and serious Royal watchers who really spend serious time thinking about and following  this couple. 

Truth. Most people I know are only vaguely aware of who they are if they’re aware at all. 

• Upvote 1

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle flew back from their trip to New York on a private jet provided by the company that made Cindy Crawford the richest supermodel in the world.

Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson, Kelly Clarkson and Heidi Klum have all had beauty product lines with direct marketing company Guthy-Renker earning them millions of dollars.

Source: The Daily Mail

Although one should always take the Daily Fail with a big grain of salt, they are probably correct that the plane was lent to the couple by the “infomercial” company.

Records show the 10-seater airplane is owned by Guthy-Renker's 'GRP Aviation LLC' but is also rented out to charter service Clay Lacy 

Clay Lacy told DailyMail.com there was no record of the jet being chartered last weekend, meaning the flight was likely provided to the couple by Guthy-Renker.

That does not mean, of course, that Meghan is planning to introduce her own beauty line or even that the company is, as the DM suggests, “courting” her.  I think it is possible that the company provided the jet as a courtesy to one of their clients or as a way of supporting the event(s) H and M were participating in or something else.

What I find interesting, though, is how comfortable Harry and Meghan seem to be about traveling on someone else’s dime.  Aside from the global warming issue, this is another example of their entitlement.

I seem to remember that the Duke of Windsor and Wallis were much given to accepting expensive favors.  (Hint to Harry: this isn’t what most of us mean by self-supporting.) 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Truth. Most people I know are only vaguely aware of who they are if they’re aware at all. 

Most people I know are only vaguely aware of the Duggars also.  And the Kardashians.  And their own state’s members of Congress.

The interesting thing is that when they do notice public figures, many people develop strong opinions based on very few facts: usually what news they notice first, or what their friends have to say, etc.  It really amazes me how some people go from not knowing/caring to being strongly partisan for one person or another. 

If most folks were truly indifferent to celebrities and semi-celebrities, there wouldn’t be so much stuff about them in the media.    And we would not have much to talk about on FJ. 😉

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic