IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 19: Leaning on the Everlasting Gwen

Coconut Flan

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

This would be the most concerning for me if I was a member... The holy days seem to be very important to RF members, so to have a leadership team unable to handle then without videos would bother me 🤔

Does anyone know when they started observing their "Days of Awe"?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

Does anyone know when they started observing their "Days of Awe"?

Do you mean the dates for this year specifically or do you mean how many years ago the church started celebrating them?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Do you mean the dates for this year specifically or do you mean how many years ago the church started celebrating them?

How many years ago.  It's a pretty odd practice for a bunch of mainly gentiles.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

How many years ago.  It's a pretty odd practice for a bunch of mainly gentiles.

Someone who has known of RF for longer might be able to answer on the Days of Awe specifically, but RF has celebrated (albiet on their own dates and in their own ways) the Jewish Holy Days from the beginning. It was one of the things that drew in my family, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

8 hours ago, Blue said:

This would be the most concerning for me if I was a member... The holy days seem to be very important to RF members, so to have a leadership team unable to handle then without videos would bother me 🤔

Today's service consisted of quite a bit of music, followed by a clip of a video from Gwen, and then rounded off with testimonies. I find it VERY odd that they rely so heavily on her videos in lieu of a live speaker. I know they've used them in the past, but they also had access to live sermons. I didn't see Elizabeth but Michael was involved in the music.

Can any former members expound on the purpose of regular testimonies? Are they meant for visitors or to remind current members of how awesome things are in "that place"? I notice that they talk about "this message" and "this place" a LOT in testimonies, and it's always about how no other church has what they have there. I would expect current members to already know how great the place is, so I can't help wondering if it's a recruitment tactic or a retention tool, or both.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, freefromthin said:

Today's service consisted of quite a bit of music, followed by a clip of a video from Gwen, and then rounded off with testimonies. I find it VERY odd that they rely so heavily on her videos in lieu of a live speaker. I know they've used them in the past, but they also had access to live sermons. I didn't see Elizabeth but Michael was involved in the music.

Can any former members expound on the purpose of regular testimonies? Are they meant for visitors or to remind current members of how awesome things are in "that place"? I notice that they talk about "this message" and "this place" a LOT in testimonies, and it's always about how no other church has what they have there. I would expect current members to already know how great the place is, so I can't help wondering if it's a recruitment tactic or a retention tool, or both.

When I was a member testimonies tended to be on wednesdays and sermons with lessons on Saturday. Occasionally if Gwen was out of town we would do testimonies on Saturday. In the 10+ years I was a member, I do not remember a single sermon from a leader other than Gwen. Other leaders would give testimonies and open services, but I only remember full sermons from Gwen. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 12

4 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

When I was a member testimonies tended to be on wednesdays and sermons with lessons on Saturday. Occasionally if Gwen was out of town we would do testimonies on Saturday. In the 10+ years I was a member, I do not remember a single sermon from a leader other than Gwen. Other leaders would give testimonies and open services, but I only remember full sermons from Gwen. 

With that being said...do you think there is an expectation for Elizabeth to give sermons like Gwen did or to just let the videos do the talking and then offer up encouragement for the church to go on as she has been doing? I'm really curious about this. It's been mentioned several times that hearing Elizabeth speak is like hearing from Gwen, but she hasn't given a sermon from what I've seen.

• Upvote 6

Just now, freefromthin said:

With that being said...do you think there is an expectation for Elizabeth to give sermons like Gwen did or to just let the videos do the talking and then offer up encouragement for the church to go on as she has been doing? I'm really curious about this. It's been mentioned several times that hearing Elizabeth speak is like hearing from Gwen, but she hasn't given a sermon from what I've seen.

I would think that is the expectation. Elizabeth was the young adult leader for as long as I remember and she would give talks at youth gatherings, but i can’t think of a time she did for a sabbath service. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Just now, RFsurvivor said:

I would think that is the expectation. Elizabeth was the young adult leader for as long as I remember and she would give talks at youth gatherings, but i can’t think of a time she did for a sabbath service. 

Thanks for answering my questions.

• Upvote 5

Just now, freefromthin said:

Thanks for answering my questions.

No problem! It’s also been a while since I personally left so somethings may have changed in the meantime such as the ability for Gwen to get a divorce 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

No problem! It’s also been a while since I personally left so somethings may have changed in the meantime such as the ability for Gwen to get a divorce 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh yes, I remember her dissertation on divorce. I wish I had it archived somewhere because sometimes it feels like I imagined it. Seems like it changed right around the time that she was either considering getting a divorce or had already filed.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, freefromthin said:

Oh yes, I remember her dissertation on divorce. I wish I had it archived somewhere because sometimes it feels like I imagined it. Seems like it changed right around the time that she was either considering getting a divorce or had already filed.

I remember when that happened and I actually took screenshots of the whole thing because I was shocked. It was so different from everything else and I had a feeling something was about to happen. Those screenshots are dated April 2018. If I remember correctly, she filed in winter 2017 and it was around then that the new stance was made public.

I am not sure if what they currently have on the page below is the same as what I screenshot back in 2018, but it’s just as long as I remember 🙄 

https://www.remnantfellowship.org/divorce-and-remarriage/

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

"Man is the one who has distorted the Scriptures, leaving oppressed people in burdensome situations, or if allowing divorce, have shamed those involved to an extent where they are once again oppressed."

I wonder if she realized what she was saying when she wrote this. From what I understand SHE took a VERY STRONG stance AGAINST divorce in the past, yet this doesn't come across as an admission of any wrongdoing on her part.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

57 minutes ago, freefromthin said:

I wonder if she realized what she was saying when she wrote this. From what I understand SHE took a VERY STRONG stance AGAINST divorce in the past, yet this doesn't come across as an admission of any wrongdoing on her part.

Some words condemning divorce from Gwen’s History of the One True God, Volume III: God-Fearing Families, Copyright © 2017  — the same year she filed for divorce from her husband of 40 years and the year before she married Tarzan.

2E3F7BBA-A81A-4AEF-8C2E-22843D6885A9.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 13

1 minute ago, SayonaraLara said:

Some words condemning divorce from Gwen’s History of the One True God, Volume III: God-Fearing Families, Copyright © 2017  — the same year she filed for divorce from her husband of 40 years and the year before she married Tarzan.

2E3F7BBA-A81A-4AEF-8C2E-22843D6885A9.jpeg

Thank you for this! I remember the teaching about no divorce but nothing in writing. I love that it’s in her own book!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, SayonaraLara said:

Same book. Same theme. Same hypocrisy.

476889F4-56CC-462C-808C-A5523EB54DF7.jpeg

Please backup this pdf so that we have it to prove that Gwen changed her tune 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, SayonaraLara said:

Same book. Same theme. Same hypocrisy.

476889F4-56CC-462C-808C-A5523EB54DF7.jpeg

"The Remnant affirms the sanctity of marriage. A Remnant marriage by definition is one where a man and a woman are both believers; therefore, they have put God, Christ and His Church first. Both are idol free and truly believe in putting others above themselves, and as a result, they are never egocentric, always looking inward, and never projecting fault onto others, which creates a marriage that is full of peace, tranquility, love and respect. Unity and harmony are expected as God’s will is first in both the husband’s heart and the wife’s heart."

It seems like this definition of marriage directly contradicts the scripture that she referenced in her book. She was SERIOUSLY FULL of contradictions.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, freefromthin said:

"The Remnant affirms the sanctity of marriage. A Remnant marriage by definition is one where a man and a woman are both believers; therefore, they have put God, Christ and His Church first. Both are idol free and truly believe in putting others above themselves, and as a result, they are never egocentric, always looking inward, and never projecting fault onto others, which creates a marriage that is full of peace, tranquility, love and respect. Unity and harmony are expected as God’s will is first in both the husband’s heart and the wife’s heart."

It seems like this definition of marriage directly contradicts the scripture that she referenced in her book. She was SERIOUSLY FULL of contradictions.

Its called mocking God, and this is what they do.  Its disgusting and very dangerous. Eventually God will take care of it and destroy, in his own way and time.........

Clearly, God has given a huge warning to these people.  

Edited by finacial ice
  • Upvote 4

We need Bob to explain to us why the stance on divorce has changed.  He seems to have an answer for everything (except for the things we want to know).

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I wonder if Tedd had an issue with her switching her stance. I know it’s been eluded to that Gwen wasn’t happy with some business issues but the timing  seems like it was when she brought Joe into the picture. 

• Upvote 6

This is completely off-topic but I couldn't find an answer on the Remnant website. What do they believe about communion? Do they practice it? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

We need Bob to explain to us why the stance on divorce has changed.  He seems to have an answer for everything (except for the things we want to know).

Yes! I was thinking about that this morning and I'm wondering if something hinky was going on. Gwen and Joe must have had something going even before she divorced David and rewrote her Bible to accommodate her wishes. The divorce and the remarriage were so close together that she wouldn't have had time to develop a relationship with Joe in between.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, freefromthin said:

Both are idol free and truly believe in putting others above themselves, and as a result, they are never egocentric, always looking inward, and never projecting fault onto others

In other words they aren’t human. No one can live up to these standards. And if Gwen truly put others first, she wouldn’t have died on the way to a Trump rally. Trump is the very definition of being selfish, egocentric, never looking inward and absolutely always projecting faults onto others. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

34 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

Yes! I was thinking about that this morning and I'm wondering if something hinky was going on. Gwen and Joe must have had something going even before she divorced David and rewrote her Bible to accommodate her wishes. The divorce and the remarriage were so close together that she wouldn't have had time to develop a relationship with Joe in between.

Not sure if you'll recall this...but someone actually DID try to come on here and explain (I think it was in the "Divorce, What Divorce?" thread) how Gwen's marriage was over before the divorce was final in an effort to justify the fact that a relationship between Gwen and Joe had developed during that time. I am going to search and see if I can find the actual post.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

• Pathologic Antagonist changed the title to The Smith Family Tragedy Redux
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic