IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 32: So There Was this Cat Who Knew A Squirrel Who Knows Anna...

HerNameIsBuffy

@Satan'sFortress, Richard Thomas starred in two semi autobiographical works (“The Waltons” and the movie “Red Sky at Morning,” based on the novel of the same name), and one of the authors said, “He played a better me than I did!”

Several years ago, I saw him outside the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station with his son and refrained from squeeing at him.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, Cam said:

Yes, Duggars were presented as Walton-esque. Just hearing the dad being called Jim Bob makes you think of John Boy. 

“Keeping sweet” is huge for the women in the FDLS Warren Jeffs cult. No other emotion permitted for them. Our patriarchal society in general enforces something of a diluted concept of this as it does not embrace women who express anger. 

Names like “Jim Bob” are common in the American South and other rural areas.  I think “John Boy” is different, since it is a variant of “John Junior.”  

Women not being allowed to express anger is more a Southern than a Northern thing in the US.  I always find it refreshing when I visit New York and New Jersey and I hear women shouting when angry. ?

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Satan'sFortress, Richard Thomas starred in two semi autobiographical works (“The Waltons” and the movie “Red Sky at Morning,” based on the novel of the same name), and one of the authors said, “He played a better me than I did!”

Several years ago, I saw him outside the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station with his son and refrained from squeeing at him.

I thought he did a decent job in “It” as well.

Wasn’t The Waltons taken from the same autobiographical work (by Earl Hamner?) as the movie Spencer’s Mountain? That film made a huge impression on me, that scene where the old grandpa is walking around on the mountainside while the dad (and oldest son?) is felling a tree. Too deaf to hear the shout of warning, and not spry enough to get out of the way. I only saw that movie once, decades ago, but I still remember that scene.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

What I always found so amazing & kind of funny about Richard Thomas was he was raised in New York City he’s parents were ballet dancers & teachers who ran a ballet company. I wonder if he ever dreamed of escaping to the mountains of Virginia, & one of his best knows roles is someone who lived in the mountains of Virginia & dreamed of being a writer in New York City. 

I saw a photo of his father (he passed away in 2013 & he is his father’s clone)  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

I found the original Duggar special by accident.  I was just looking for something interesting to watch.  They seemed happy and loving, had cute kids, no debt, were living their principles, everyone understood their role, and - last but not least - there was no apparent conflict.  They got along with each other and appeared to get along with everyone else.  It was perfect watching after a long day at work, dealing with the usual annoyances of life.  Yeah, they were a little weird, and the outfits were a joke, but they didn't care and that made it a little more interesting.

If they had been presented as a fictional family, vs. a real life one, would people have kept watching?  If so, how would the criticism have differed?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

What I always found so amazing & kind of funny about Richard Thomas was he was raised in New York City he’s parents were ballet dancers & teachers who ran a ballet company. 

I took a class or two in their studio around 40 years ago.  Richard walked be the classroom while I was taking a class.

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

What I always found so amazing & kind of funny about Richard Thomas was he was raised in New York City he’s parents were ballet dancers & teachers who ran a ballet company. )  

I took a class or two at their studio about 40 years ago.  (Yeah, I'm old!)  Richard walked by the classroom while I was there. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

On 5/29/2021 at 5:48 AM, ADoyle90815 said:

It's been years since I've seen this, as I remember watching this show when I was younger.

Was she in Star Trek. I think the original and then one season of TNG as the dr when dr crusher was having her babies in real life? I’m talking about the lady in the thumbnail. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

The Rosalyn Shays character in L A Law was so hated and despicable, and you just were not sure how much destruction she was going to create or how long it would go on for. Her demise down the elevator shaft was completely unexpected, most especially because it did not happen at the end of the episode left as a cliff-hanger type “does she or does she not survive” kind of thing until the following week.

No, the dramatic plunge freak accident comes about ten minutes in to the one-hour show. There was zero build up or suspense about it. It was a shock. And then suddenly a lot of angst you were feeling about the law firm was gone. And you were just so. glad. she. was. dead.

Lol......or is that L a law......

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Not streamed, I don't think, but here on the East Coast, the Waltons is on nightly, beginning at 11, on the Hallmark Drama channel. They usually run the entire series through, about 3-4 episodes per night, then the follow up movies, then begin again. 

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 8

20 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I need brain bleach to rid that from my mind.  I. Love. John. Boy. Walton. There, I said it. I love John Boy Walton. And Richard Thomas in that role is one of the most perfect casting choices ever.  He was so, so good.  I do not care for any of the episodes after Richard Thomas left---and as good as Richard Thomas was, Fake John Boy was the worst.  And now, I will pretend that Fake John Boy never existed and that no one will ever again use JB and John Boy in the same breath.

As an aside, to this day, I have a special, deep fear of house fires because of the fire episode.  I must have been about 7 or 8 when that aired and it was very disturbing to me.

Keep in mind that one of the younger Walton children was actually named Jim-Bob!

Also someone mentioned Earl Hamner and Spencer's Mountain.  Yes that was what the Waltons tv show was based on.  In Hamner's story the first name of the patriarch and also the eldest son was Clay, so they were Clay (dad) and Clay-Boy (son).  Just doesn't roll off the tongue like John-Boy, or is that because we got used to it?

I grew up with almost zero experience of the US east, outside of New York City.  In the early '90s I was sent for work to the National Boy Scout Jamboree held at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.  Other than getting to see fireflies for the first time, my favorite non-work memory of the trip was renting a car to drive to and around Schuyler, VA, where Earl Hamner grew up and where his story was set.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 5

5 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Keep in mind that one of the younger Walton children was actually named Jim-Bob!

Jim-Bob Walton was appealing, unlike...

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

7 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Other than getting to see fireflies for the first time...

I still remember getting to see real* fireflies. It was almost surreal to see little lights flashing on and off, just like in all the books and movies. 

*The only fireflies I ever saw before that were on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 12

I remember seeing fireflies for the first time when on a cross country trip to visit my mom's relatives in Indiana when I was a child, and it wasn't until Kansas that we saw them for the first time. I thought they were neat looking, and even got to catch them in my aunt's backyard.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 9

One of the things I miss about Kansas is fireflies (*lightning bugs in that neck of the woods)

In the summer, where I lived, there were nights when it would be almost psychedelic the sky was so full of them.

Millions of blinking fairy lights.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 11

On 5/29/2021 at 6:31 AM, formergothardite said:

The issue with our society is that they were automatically labeled wholesome because they are white Christians. They were pretty blatant with the crazy from the first show. Mom and Dad always walking in front while a line of matching children follow. It was shown very young children were assigned the task of being a buddy. The narrator even listed off the long list of chores assigned to each buddy, and it was essentially parenting. It was down right disturbing to hear Michelle say she only took care of the babies until they weaned and then she passed them off to a child. The girls all had to wear long dresses and were shown constantly working while the boys were shown getting to play.  But they got a pass as wholesome background noise all because they are white Christians. 

No one needed to know anything about Gothard to be able to pick up that these parents were treating their children in a terrible way. I get why people just viewed them as quant and harmless, but it reveals a great deal about our society that they were viewed that way. If they weren’t white and were another religion they probably wouldn’t have gotten a pass as being wholesome. People would have noted the extreme beliefs. 

Have you seen "Doubling Down with the Derricos"?  Their "dress code" for their kids isn't as extreme as Duggars 1.0, but otherwise they appear to be a black version of the Duggars from 15 years ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 1

The Derricos love dancing and singing.

And, even though they are religious and clearly wanted a large family, she has a condition leading to the multiple births.

As per the show again, they were thinking of home schooling, but for convenience and practical reasons vs. religion.

The kids get to do activities. Daughter was going to do a film school camp away from home.

When grandma came to live with them and help them and COVID hit, dad and grandma plus kids still got it. They had been taking cautions (or so it appeared) bc littlest little had heart issues and grandma was there. They isolated them in one room as best as I could see and behaved as appropriately as i could see via the show.

I looked up their church in Las Vegas. It's the oldest black church in Nevada? or Vegas... some type of historical significance. The views of the founding pastor were pretty harsh. There's
a new one.

Otoh, major sense of community and home. Again, when littlest was needing surgery they had a special service.

They aren't Black Duggars 2.0.

Maybe crazy in there, but different and not completely apparent yet.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

My curiousity about the Duggar’s started when I saw them and saw no affection between the parents and the kids. Then I saw the stupid side hug and it got me so revved up seeing all these little kids with zero affection or comfort in their daily life. 

even I now I hug and kiss my mum and dad, my siblings and my kids can’t get away from me. 

Jboob and Moochelle have a lot to answer for. 

I hope that the other kids think about when they have their own kids and how they were starved of love and affection. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

We've come a long way with the Duggars.. I remember going through a thread a day while we were waiting for Jill to deliver Izzy, and now we can't even be bothered to stay on track with Josh being accused of a federal crime.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dandruff said:

I  Yeah, they were a little weird, and the outfits were a joke, 

I remember early watching, and there would be bags of clothing left at the side of the Duggars' van after church services. Yet they would dress everyone in identical clothing...(those horrible red dresses with huge white collars!)  how did that happen? I know Jana sewed, but you'd have needed several bolts of cloth to make that many frumpers!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

We've come a long way with the Duggars.. I remember going through a thread a day while we were waiting for Jill to deliver Izzy, and now we can't even be bothered to stay on track with Josh being accused of a federal crime.

I don't understand this paragraph. When Josh was incarcerated and then arraigned, the mods could barely keep FJ going because it was getting hammered by so many people posting. I imagine that will resume after counsel for the defense gets done reviewing the evidence and starts making motions. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I don't understand this paragraph. When Josh was incarcerated and then arraigned, the mods could barely keep FJ going because it was getting hammered by so many people posting. I imagine that will resume after counsel for the defense gets done reviewing the evidence and starts making motions. 

Agreed, there's not too much that can be said right now while we wait. 

Do we know if Anna has been to visit him with the children yet?

• Upvote 4

On 5/30/2021 at 3:04 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Women not being allowed to express anger is more a Southern than a Northern thing

I'm from Alabama, and that's news to me.  We may not start out screaming at the top of our lungs, but we do not suppress  our anger.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, RosyDaisy said:

I'm from Alabama, and that's news to me.  We may not start out screaming at the top of our lungs, but we do not suppress  our anger.

Can confirm.  Source:  Southern grandma.  And my yankee mom could beat any fundy woman at keeping sweet.  (Clearly it skips a generation.)

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Tbf when hanging out on FJ waiting for a birth there is usually a ton of thread drift about personal birth stories, etc.   Ditto for weddings and sharing wedding stories.  When it comes to this there isn't a lot to say until further developments.

I expect a huge spike in this topic's activity whenever something new comes up.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

One of the things I miss about Kansas is fireflies (*lightning bugs in that neck of the woods)

In the summer, where I lived, there were nights when it would be almost psychedelic the sky was so full of them.

Millions of blinking fairy lights.

Thanks for bringing back some very happy childhood memories.  As a little girl I thought they were all somehow related to Tinkerbell and considered them my friends.

Although, I also thought a spot of light shining on my glossy wallpaper was Tinkerbell and we'd have conversations where I'd tell her my secrets, so clearly I was looking for friendship in all sporadic light sources.  Wow - seeing it in type I realize how weird I was...but I did stop thinking the reflection on my wallpaper was sentient before my mom became concerned, so there's that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 19

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic