IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 32: So There Was this Cat Who Knew A Squirrel Who Knows Anna...

HerNameIsBuffy

I don't think it's an accident that thread drift here went to a place of wholesome Waltonness....a little mental break from the horror.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 11

The Waltons and the furbaby pictures are nice breaks from the horror of the charges he's facing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

Boy am I glad I wasn’t a Waltons fan. I was a Little House on the Prairie fan. That was more my taste. Even as a kid, I was a huge stickler for correct timelines. All of those changes in the Waltons reunions would have made me crazy.

• Upvote 9

I felt like with both series though, they did too many seasons. I lost interest in the Walton's when Olivia left for an illness, and Rose came into the picture. The same with Little House. I was not a fan of  Little House- A New Beginning. But Shannon Doherty when she was little, so super cute. Another older show that I loved was Eight is Enough. I thought the step-mom was so pretty and nice and I had a huge crush on Ben. I also loved firefighter shows- Emergency 51 (hellooooo Johnny Gage!) and Code Red. There is a pic of me somewhere, maybe 5? wearing an Emergency 51 toy fire hat and carrying my Fisher Price medical kit. ? And I liked Andrew Stevens so much on Code Red I sent him a fan letter and he sent me an autographed picture. Oh my god I was boy-crazy. 

• Upvote 13

I never watched either the Waltons or Little House. My parents preferred that my sister and I watch Canadian content and that it be educational. Other kids got to rent Disney flicks, we watched films about wildlife, history or famous painters. It should go without saying that we were not the cool kids lol. My mom was horrified that my friend’s parents let her watch Barbie and Rockers as it had no educational merits. 
That said, Little House would have made me crazy as I gather it didn’t exactly follow the books. It still bugs me when tv shows deviate wildly from the books they are supposedly based on. I’m also still not one of the cool kids but now it doesn’t bother me. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Boy am I glad I wasn’t a Waltons fan. I was a Little House on the Prairie fan. That was more my taste. Even as a kid, I was a huge stickler for correct timelines. All of those changes in the Waltons reunions would have made me crazy.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever actually watching the Waltons. I vaguely remember being in the room while it was on, and them all saying good night at the end or whatever, but I don't think I ever paid attention to a single episode. Weird. I liked Little House ok, I'd watch it if it was on but didn't mind if I missed it. 

Frankly just about anything short of the worst horror movies would be a nice break from what he's facing. 

Does anyone else have "default" movies? Like, I don't know what I want to watch, so I'll throw this on. I have a few of those, and a few "if it's on, I watch it" movies.

One of those "if it's on, I'm watching it" movies for me and my sisters is Romancing the Stone. Has been for decades! 

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever actually watching the Waltons. I vaguely remember being in the room while it was on, and them all saying good night at the end or whatever, but I don't think I ever paid attention to a single episode. Weird. I liked Little House ok, I'd watch it if it was on but didn't mind if I missed it. 

Frankly just about anything short of the worst horror movies would be a nice break from what he's facing. 

Does anyone else have "default" movies? Like, I don't know what I want to watch, so I'll throw this on. I have a few of those, and a few "if it's on, I watch it" movies.

One of those "if it's on, I'm watching it" movies for me and my sisters is Romancing the Stone. Has been for decades! 

Shawshank Redemption 

Pride and Prejudice

Mean Girls

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Shaun of the Dead  :zombie:

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My “default” movies:

The Producers (the original)

I Love You to Death

Raising Arizona

Fargo

Young Frankenstein 

Little Women (the Katharine Hepburn one)

David Copperfield (the WC Fields/Edna May Oliver one)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I love hearing everyone's default movies. Mine are:

Ghost Ship

Interview With The Vampire

The Lost Boys

Labyrinth

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Princess Bride

Willow

and sometimes The Dark Crystal or Underworld, or the 1980's Transformers, The Movie. 

There are others that if they happen to be on I'm cool with watching them (most Disney movies, for example) but those are the ones I reach for if I just can't figure out what I want on, and I don't want to have to pay attention. 

If I have the ability to pay attention I might choose an MST3K episode or something by Tim Burton. 

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 2

I’m old enough to remember Little House and The Waltons in first run, but my mother limited our TV consumption, so we didn’t watch The Waltons and only saw part of the first season of Little House (I was a huge fan of the books, but outgrew them about the time the show started). My family’s go-to shows were Masterpiece Theater, Mary Tyler Moore. Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett. Anything else I saw in summer reruns. 

Default movies - I’m a huge fan of old movies, especially classic musicals, so most of those will cause me to pause the channel changer. Special favorites below:

Singing in the Rain

Wizard of Oz

Yankee Doodle Dandy

anything starring Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly

Back to the Future

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Sound of Music

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

My default movies are Sound of Music, Pitch Perfect, any Disney/Pixar cartoon, or Simpsons. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I felt like with both series though, they did too many seasons. I lost interest in the Walton's when Olivia left for an illness, and Rose came into the picture. The same with Little House. I was not a fan of  Little House- A New Beginning. But Shannon Doherty when she was little, so super cute. Another older show that I loved was Eight is Enough. I thought the step-mom was so pretty and nice and I had a huge crush on Ben. I also loved firefighter shows- Emergency 51 (hellooooo Johnny Gage!) and Code Red. There is a pic of me somewhere, maybe 5? wearing an Emergency 51 toy fire hat and carrying my Fisher Price medical kit. ? And I liked Andrew Stevens so much on Code Red I sent him a fan letter and he sent me an autographed picture. Oh my god I was boy-crazy. 

I'm only in my mid-30s but my dad got me watching Emergency! when I was in high school and I still watch it when I find it on one of the retro channels. And yes, Randolph Mantooth was one of my celebrity crushes, or at least the version of him that existed 30 years earlier as Johnny Gage. Same with James MacArthur, Danno from the original Hawaii 5-O. When ever one of my parents asks me something which has an obvious 'no' answer, to this day I answer with "Negative, Rampart." 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 3

Default Movies:

Battleship, Star Trek First Contact, any REALLY bad sci-fi movie on IMDb or YouTube (there are some really awful ones I love), Failure Is Not An Option: A Flight Control History (YouTube), Go, Flight parts 1 & 2. 

Ok, I'll admit...I'm decidedly strange and have strange tastes in movies...

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

One of my favorite movies is Moonstruck.  Every actor (except Nicholas Cage) is perfect.  Cage is just okay, but the pure enjoyment I get from watching everyone else more than makes up for him.

ETA:  Of course, Princess Bride, Shawshank Redemption, and Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth)!

Edited by EmmieJ
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The only default movie I can think of right now is Heathers. 
Sweet Rufus on a cracker I’m nuts 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

My default movie used to be Empire Records, but I haven't watched it for ages since it isn't on any of my streaming services and I'm too lazy to dig out DVDs.
Current defaults: Shawshank Redemption, Pitch Perfect, Bridesmaids, Zodiac.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It still bugs me when tv shows deviate wildly from the books they are supposedly based on.

Ditto movies based on novels.  I don't regret missing Dances With Wolves on the big screen; the book was great. 

30 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.  There are no other movies.

*Clears throat*  Rock 'N Roll High School

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

I guess my default movie is "The Miracle of Bern" (am a huge German football fan, it's about the W. German world cup win in 1954, though I have to ff through a couple of bits). Otherwise, it's TV: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek (Original series first, always), Inspector Morse, early South Park episodes.

If I'm really desperate, I go for Prisoner: Cell Block H. Best dodgy yet awesome Aussie series ever.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Default movies...I have a few...

Airplane!, The Blues Brothers, The Naked Gun, Smokey and the Bandit, My Beautiful Laundrette, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and 2 (I love Groot! And Chris Pratt is mighty fine. *drool*)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

defaults 

Any Harry movie

Any Marvel (disney) movie Mainly Thor 3 

The First two Mummy movies

When my child is around

greatest showman 

cartoon grinch 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Ghost and dirty dancing

pride and prejudice ( Colin firth)

passenger ( needs to be watched at least three times)

anything with Colin firth in it really!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic