IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 32: So There Was this Cat Who Knew A Squirrel Who Knows Anna...

HerNameIsBuffy

Comfort TV-Gilmore Girls, Leverage, Librarians, Psych, Monk, the Closer, Rizzoli and Isles, Good Omens, and Signed, Sealed and Delivered.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Am I the only one with no attention span for movies?  Any youtube video over 20 minutes I know I'll have to play twice because I'll have been doing eight other things while watching it.

I like some movies (but yeah, I'm pretty much always also internet-surfing at the same time) but I don't have a 'default' list because I prefer watching something I haven't seen before.  I love documentaries.  If I want background noise but don't want to pay close attention I usually put on the tv news or NPR.  

• Upvote 6

I don’t have the attention span for movies either.  To be honest, if I’m alone, I don’t watch anything, but in the evenings my husband and I will put the tv on.  M*A*S*H and White Collar are my go to’s.  

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Comfort TV-Gilmore Girls, Leverage, Librarians, Psych, Monk, the Closer, Rizzoli and Isles, Good Omens, and Signed, Sealed and Delivered.

A reboot of Leverage is coming to IMDB in July, without Timothy Hutton.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3

Comfort TV for me is Gilmore Girls, West Wing, the UK show Hustle, or old Simpsons episodes from the first 10 or 15 seasons. Comfort movies are the Parent Trap, Juno, Aladdin, 10 Things I Hate About You.

I noticed quite a few West Wing fans in here, did anyone else watch the staged performance they did just before the 2020 election in a “go vote! Register to vote! Here’s how to vote!” special?

going back a few pages because I’m catching up after the intensity and busyness of leaving my own (ex)husband - I didn’t watch a whole lot of Duggar episodes, not enough to think deeply about how problematic they were, but aside from the sheer size of the family, I was drawn in by the names. I frequently commented on how ridiculous the J theme was and especially poor Jinger. The first discussions I had online about them was in a baby name forum, where there was (probably still is) a “rename the Duggars!” game of taking the next letter in the alphabet to the poster before you, and coming up with (better) names for 10 boys and 9 girls. That same forum had a few members who were obviously also members here, and criticism of them and their religion came up a fair bit, as did the name freejinger. So from there, I came here, and learnt a lot about how deep their damage goes. The weird J names seem superficial and unimportant now, but that was where my interest in them started.

• Upvote 12

We somehow ended up with 38 episodes of Major Crimes on the DVR. I did some investigating and found the very first episode; it's been fun to watch how the characters develop, although the whole thing was pretty tight from the very first episode.  

The other enjoyable part is seeing actors show up for an episode or two who ended up as regulars in the NCIS franchise. 

Michael Weatherly (currently on Bull, but was Anthony DiNozzo on NCIS) does a turn as a personal "guide/trainer" for wealthy women. 

Necar Zadegan (currently Special Agent Hannah Khoury on NCIS: New Orleans) is a hilariously verklempt  wealthy Jewish mob wife who is being "serviced" by the Micheal Weatherly character. 

Vyto Ruginis plays a detective whose son is in a robbery gang;  Ruginis currently has a recurring role on NCIS Los Angeles as affable retired KGB agent Arkady Kolcheck and father of Anna Kolcheck (Callan's girlfriend). 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Jeremy Hartono got married here in the US and the Duggars attended. They were seen happily throwing rice at the new couple. JB, Michelle and at least one unmarried Duggar boy were spotted by me.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 10

20 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Apologies if this was posted previously but this link to a story about Josh contains parole board information about Jim Bob's pal and Josh's pedophile counselor, James Hutchens.  Interestingly includes his lengthy sob story, including his attempt to kill himself by jumping from the top bunk in his cell.  

You guessed it.  He was framed!  And it must have been his wife's grandson who looked at those photos. 

These people cannot be rehabilitated.  I'd say odds are very high Josh will follow a path similar to this guy's.  With the exception of the wife dumping him. 

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/a-closer-look/a-closer-look-josh-duggars-history-of-child-sexual-abuse/

From the top bunk!?!?!?  Did he manage to break a toenail?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

8 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

34 days till more PARKER! Not that I’m keeping track or have a countdown on my phone. That would be weird. :shifty-kitty:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Always watch TV:

General Hospital

Gilmore Girls

Little People, Big World

The Little Couple

Yellowstone

Always watch movies:

Harry Potter series

Twilight Series

Armageddon

The Day After Tomorrow

• Upvote 4

I just stumbled into one of my default movies.  The Towering Inferno (on Prime now).  I’m a sucker for Irwin Allen disaster movies.  

• Upvote 10

Any Guardians of the Galaxy fans?  Hubs turned me on to it.  Rarely watch it beginning to end, but dropping in for any part is always entertaining. Visual and musical feast. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Alisamer said:

That's what default movies are for! You've seen them, you know them (my sisters and I can pretty much quote the entire Princess Bride), you don't have to pay attention to them, but they are something pleasant and familiar to have on in the background while you do whatever. Like clean house, assemble Ikea furniture, organize things, do crafty things, put up holiday decorations, or whatever. My sister's kitchen is open to her family room, so she'll have something on TV while cooking or cleaning, and she has a smaller TV up in her craft room where she'll put on a default movie or run a bunch of crafty youtube videos while she's making whatever she's making. 

Even if I'm paying attention to a movie I'm knitting or drawing at the same time, or walking on the treadmill or something. I watch more youtube than anything these days, but I still have my hands occupied doing something. 

I think lots of people do this with podcasts, maybe? But I really need something visual, even if I'm not actively looking at it much of the time. Sometimes I'll play music through the whole house when cleaning, but if I'm going to be only in the living room I'll pop in one of my default movies. 

Oh yes! We put on While You Were Sleeping every year when we’re putting up the Christmas tree, and A Christmas Story (“Ralphie!”) as we’re taking it down...

I’m something of an anniversary movie watcher. Like, I usually watch The Longest Day on June 6 (I have memories of watching it with my dad, a WWII vet, when I was little) and Independence Day on July 4.

Go-to “comfort” movies include Pride and Prejudice (both the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle and the Keira Knightly versions) and Sense and Sensibility (oh, that velvety voice of Alan Rickman). Several Tom Hanks’ movies are on that list, too.

Frankly, lately, instead of default movies, my go-to background noise is a podcast, like you mentioned, which range from exvangelicals (Mindshift, Christian Rightcast, etc.) to history (Mike Duncan) to weird science (Sawbones). How would you categorize Behind the Bastards?

ETA to add to television talk: We’ve been working our way through detective series, one or two episodes per night, since since everything started to shut down in 2020. Most of Hill Street Blues, all of Colombo, several UK series (Endeavour, Lewis, Shetland, Hinterland, currently on the 10th season of Death in Paradise).

Edited by refugee
Added question.
  • Upvote 3

On 6/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Speaking of TV shows and pedophiles, I see connected to the link that I posted above that Drake from "Drake and Josh" was arrested today for inappropriate contact with a child.    

Apparently it was "attempted endangerment of a child and disseminating matter harmful to juveniles" from an internet chat room in 2017.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/drake-bell-arrest-former-drake-josh-star-charged-with-attempted-child-endangerment-1234769550/amp/

• Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Howl said:

Any Guardians of the Galaxy fans?  Hubs turned me on to it.  Rarely watch it beginning to end, but dropping in for any part is always entertaining. Visual and musical feast. 

Like dobby’s death scene (book and movie) I cry every time at Yondu’s death. “I’m Mary Poppins Y’all!!!”

• Love 10

Ahhhhhhh the Loki show is almost here, and the Black Widow movie, finally!!!!

I don't have default movies.  I'm not much of a rewatcher of things, even stuff I like.  I don't think I've seen any film more than 5 times.  (That was Infinity War and every time was in theatre.  One of these days I should see it again but I'm in no rush because I have a good memory and it seems more interesting to experience new things.)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Comfort TV means stuff from my childhood or before. Basically 90% of the content of METV, Antenna, or Decades. Some favorites:

Mary Tyler Moore

Both Bob Newhart and Newhart

Frazier (probably my all-time favorite, at least the first six seasons)

Batman

Perry Mason

Dick Van Dyke

All in the Family

Are You Being Served

BBC adaptations of British classics. I enjoy some of the older ones, even though the production values are less than lavish. You can often spot future stars (Anthony Hopkins in a War and Peace I recall watching in first run, Mollie Sugden in a 1970s Emma, Patricia Routledge in a 1970s Sense and Sensibility).

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I have default tv too. Generally Law and Order, or Law and Order Criminal Intent is on. I have dreadful tinnitus and have the tv on 24/7 to mask the awful sounds. My tinnitus sounds like a woman screaming, sirens, or the smoke alarm going off.

• Love 18

6 hours ago, refugee said:

currently on the 10th season of Death in Paradise).

How do you feel about binge watching it? My mom just introduced me to it, and I like it, but it’s SO formulaic that I don’t really want to watch too many episodes close together.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

How do you feel about binge watching it? My mom just introduced me to it, and I like it, but it’s SO formulaic that I don’t really want to watch too many episodes close together.

It _is_ formulaic (one of our cliches is that the guilty party is never the first suspect or most obvious suspect), but we’re on the 4th detective now, and each has had his own personality and quirks, which has added some variety, even though one of the themes of the show is the clash of cultures (meaning 3 British and 1 Irish detective working with police officers from this French-islander culture). The show seemed quite lighthearted (for a murder mystery) through season 8, with a few sad or dramatic moments, like the departure of detective #1, and then something changed. It got a bit darker in season 9, a little more graphic in showing the murders (very mild compared to some shows, of course). The episode we watched last night from season 10 actually surprised us!

But for the most part, it’s been good “veg” material (doesn’t take a lot of brain to watch), actually incorporated some decent character growth along the way, and has been something of a stress reliever. Beautiful landscape, too. Actually filmed in the Caribbean, even though the island is fictitious.

Edited by refugee
Typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, WarriorJane said:

Mrs. Reber is definitely uncomfortable and that's a good thing.   That means that maybe there is a little part inside her that can think for herself and knows this is not right and should not be normalized.  Maybe if she remains uncomfortable every day until the trial,  she will start to think that her headship is an idiot who makes bad decisions and has no regard for herself or their daughter. And maybe, just maybe, she'll one day realize that the patriarchal system she is helping to sustain is dangerous bullshit.   Or maybe, and what I'm really hoping for,  her daughter is watching all this and will be inspired to run far far away from it.   #freethereberdaughter

At least it seems Mrs. Reber has her head on a swivel with Josh around.  Which, is unnecessary if you are able to follow your instincts and act on them; in patriarchy that is difficult.  Idk how these weenie men get ahold of such power in their small pond.               Anyway, it's good she's on alert and not trusting in the lord or some bs. I feel really bad for the daughter.  So much for protecting your sahd from harm, huh? 

• Upvote 3

On 5/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, Antimony said:

While this cheerful countenance shit is totally the wheelhouse of so many fundie subsects, most everything in Sybil should be taken with a pillar of salt since the entire book is suspect and unethical. 

Oh yeah, I read the, um, anti-Sybil? book as well. It's actually more interesting than Sybil itself.

But the background of the mom isn't really part of the whole Sybil-shenanigans. 

• Love 1

For those of you who said Sense and Sensibility, there is a special feature where Emma Thompson did a lovely commentary while the movie plays.  Its actually quite soothing.  I think you can find it on Youtube.

I work in I.T. from home, and lots of times I have routine/rote work to do thats boring and takes a long time.  Usually it needs only half my attention, so to help me get through the tedium I will play faves I've watched alot, that only take the other half of my attention.  But they really help the time go by.   I am going to mash together tv and movies on my list. 

Hook

Labyrinth

Goonies

Are you Being Served?

Good Omens

Star Trek TNG/DS9

Almost any Shirley Temple movie. 

Admitting to some reality junk here.... all the Below Deck seasons.  ?‍♀️

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

Thanks for posting this. I remember hearing that they might do this but I had no idea they did and it has a premier date. Going to binge the dvds before this airs. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Destiny said:

34 days till more PARKER! Not that I’m keeping track or have a countdown on my phone. That would be weird. :shifty-kitty:

One of my kids is so excited about the reboot. She adores Parker! But she also has always admired Hardison and has long been a real fan of Spencer. She used to do “extra” work and got to see him (the actor, I mean, whose character in The Librarians I can’t remember the name of) at work in an episode of The Librarians, if I’m remembering right. I think he was on location with them the day she worked. The only thing I remember clearly from her being in on a Librarians episode was that she was part of a gang of extras chasing one of the main characters through the woods as part of a nightmare sequence. I’ve watched “her” episodes of various shows filmed in the area with her so she could point out to me which shadowy or background person she was, Lol! Very thrilling for her, though, to work in the same space as the people she loves to watch on the screen. And great pay for a long day of alternately sitting around and filming, better than minimum wage, and she said they were fed well.

Interestingly, she worked one bar scene in another show (she was a bartender and was directed to flirt with another extra in the background while main character dialog was going on in front of them) but most of her work was cut, sigh. Some of the extras were supposed to look like they were smoking. She said they had these godawful herbal fake cigarettes, and of course all the “alcoholic” drinks weren’t alcoholic. She told me what they were (clever substitutes that look like the real thing), but I’ve forgotten.

I’ve loved the “behind the scenes” glimpses she’s given me. She’s got a full-time job now and hasn’t got time to do extra work these days, but it sure sounded fun and fascinating at the time.

Edited by refugee
Remembered another detail.
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic