IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 32: So There Was this Cat Who Knew A Squirrel Who Knows Anna...

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

Thanks for posting this. I remember hearing that they might do this but I had no idea they did and it has a premier date. Going to binge the dvds before this airs. 

My kids convinced me to binge-watch Leverage with them when it was streaming some years back. We started with the first episode and worked our way all the way to the last episode. Is it streaming on any services now? I’ll have to look that up. Our DVD player bit the dust a few years ago.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, refugee said:

My kids convinced me to binge-watch Leverage with them when it was streaming some years back. We started with the first episode and worked our way all the way to the last episode. Is it streaming on any services now? I’ll have to look that up. Our DVD player bit the dust a few years ago.

Check Amazon/IMDbtv.  This is a Dean Devlin production and there is a whole app/channel on Roku called Electric Now that his projections can be viewed on including Leverage and The Librarians.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 6/2/2021 at 7:40 PM, JordynDarby5 said:

They also apparently forgot that Jason and Cindy had another kid Charlie. I guess he died too? 

Somebody else already corrected that it was Ben and Cindy but yes - I watched the 80s reunion movie and was like "Oh no! This kid's gonna die too!" because obviously they were grieving Virginia and were childless in the '93 reunion, so this kid had to die too, right?

Come to find out there were a lot of plot holes between the 80s and 90s reunions. I did some research on it at the time. Apparently the original network canceled the show (in fairness, it had really jumped the shark when they brought in fake John-Boy and Olivia went to the TB sanitarium ad infinitum) but another network realized there was still money to be made and they made the 80s reunion movies. Many things happened - Virginia was a happy, thriving toddler and baby Charlie was born. Mary Ellen remarried (this was her marriage to Jonesy) but flipped their Jeep on their honeymoon and because of the extent of her internal injuries, she was told it would never be safe for her to have children - and because she was technically divorced, she'd been told she could never adopt, John Curtis got lost in the woods and was visited by Grandpa Zeb who helped guide him to safety. I can't remember if Erin's wedding to Paul Northridge happened on the show or on one of the 80s movies, but I do remember that he seemed to be a very ordinary working-class guy back then. Fast-forward to '93 and the original network picked the show back up. They played fast and loose with the things that had happened in the 80s with the other network. Where did Clay and Katie come from if Mary Ellen couldn't give birth or adopt? Why couldn't they at least MENTION John Curtis? Say he was away at school or something, or give him a quick cameo like they did with Amy Godsey? Erin started out the 90s divorced, but there are multiple mentions of how well-off she must be and how well her children are cared for because the Northridges have money. Virginia was dead, and Charlie never existed. It was kind of mind-numbing. It might be better to just skip from the original series to the '93 reunion.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, Four is Enough said:

And Erin divorced her husband, but when they got married, John boy's voice over talked about the love that was as strong as the day they married...

It's right up there with LHOTP - in the episode where Albert gets addicted to morphine and Pa has to detox him, at the end there's a voiceover from Laura saying that he went on to become a doctor and return to practice in Walnut Grove, but then in Look Back to Yesterday he dies of something unspecified (I always assumed leukemia) and then the whole town gets blown up at the end of the series.

From the standpoint of a writer I'm assuming they were just looking to take everybody's happily ever after and throw it over a cliff to create tension - Ben and Cindy having their fertility/grief issues, Jason and Toni's marriage on the rocks because of his career, Jim-Bob alone forever, Mary Ellen functioning as a single mom while Jonesy is in Vietnam, Erin being single and getting hit on by the guy from the school where she's subbing. Only John-Boy and Elizabeth are giddy in love in the '93 reunion. Happily ever after for everyone doesn't make for engaging TV.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Thanks for posting this. I remember hearing that they might do this but I had no idea they did and it has a premier date. Going to binge the dvds before this airs. 

Leverage is one of my favorites.  I was glad to see that they got most of the actors back.  I was pissed to read that it started filming in Louisiana in August 2020.  Despite the pandemic I would have been tempted to see if I could have caught a peek of a few of the actors.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, refugee said:

Some of the extras were supposed to look like they were smoking. She said they had these godawful herbal fake cigarettes, and of course all the “alcoholic” drinks weren’t alcoholic.

Back in 1998 there was a big settlement between tobacco companies and the US government. In addition to funding those ubiquitous anti-tobacco commercials, it also dictates that non-tobacco products are used in films and television. Since then, all smoking materials used in tv or movies have been herbal (not cannabis, but herbal). Not one of the thousands of "cigarettes" smoked during Mad Men were real.

My default tv show is The Simpsons. 20 years ago it was whatever documentary was on Discovery, A&E, History Channel, etc. at the moment, but then they shifted to majority reality programming and I stopped watching. I'll admit The Deadliest Catch was great television (RIP Captain Phil), but I've only got time for one reality fishing show, and now there are dozens. Ever since FXX started running The Simpsons 5 days a week, I leave the tv on that channel.

My default movies (if they're on tv I'll watch, even if there are commercials) fall into 3 categories: 80s (Real Genius, Ferris Bueller, +), Marvel (The Avengers, Black Panther, +), or violent (Fight Club, The Godfather, +). I'm not sure what this says about me, besides that I've been watching movies for a long time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:07 AM, EmmieJ said:

A reboot of Leverage is coming to IMDB in July, without Timothy Hutton.  

Already counting down! Can't wait to see Parker, Hardison, Eliot and Sophie! And meet Hardison's sister! Too bad about Hutton but not surprised with the rape claim against him. Noah Wyle will be on the show who was on the Librarians with Christian Kane who played Jacob Stone on that show. Parker showed up as a Lady of the Lake. Hurley showed up as Ray aka the Library in an episode and Molly from the Carnival Job showed up in the Haunted House episode on the Librarians.  

• Upvote 5

On 6/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Am I the only one with no attention span for movies?  Any youtube video over 20 minutes I know I'll have to play twice because I'll have been doing eight other things while watching it.

I have found I have less attention span as I've gotten older. I used to LOVE to go to the movies 20 years ago, that was our go to Friday date night. Now I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a theater (way before COVID) and I don't even know the last new release I saw. I feel like it's been at least 5 years. I will sometimes sit and watch one of my old favorites though if I'm not feeling well or the weather is really crappy and I'm off work. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, Antipatriarch said:

I love Liv Tyler! She was wonderful in "That Thing You Do!" which is one of my faves in general.

That Thing You Do is one of my faves. I've been trying to find it streaming so I can have my kids watch it but no luck. I have it on DVD but our DVD player died and honestly, we don't use it enough to buy a new one. 

On 6/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

Sweet Home Alabama, Dirty Dancing, Road House, Shawshank Redemption, the Indiana Jones series, Matilda, Moana, Pitch Perfect

Oh yes! Sweet Home Alabama! Another fave. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, hand holder said:

I have quite a few now that I think about it!

Dirty Dancing

Most Marvel movies

Harry Potter

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Sweet Home Alabama

Bring it On

Clueless (my "Sick day" movie)

Love & Basketball

Drumline

Ever After

Cheaper by the Dozen

Like Mike

That Thing You Do

I could go on....my family loves movies.

Love & Basketball! My sister and I had this movie on repeat. I haven't seen it in a few years. Might have to have a watch. 

• Upvote 3

Has anyone been to a movie theater since Covid? Been seeing alot of movie previews. It feels so weird not going to the movies in a year! We had a $1.50 theater for older movies, but sadly it didn't survive with no business.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

A couple of nights ago, Working Girl (Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford) came on. Haven't seen it in YEARS. Wanted to watch but it was going to be on till 2 and I needed to go to bed... I just wanted to hear her say about Sigourney Weaver's "bony ass"...

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Has anyone been to a movie theater since Covid? Been seeing alot of movie previews. It feels so weird not going to the movies in a year! We had a $1.50 theater for older movies, but sadly it didn't survive with no business.

My daughter and I went a few weeks ago. Masks are required unless you are sitting eating or drinking and we had to buy our tickets online. Only certain seats were available and there were several empty seats on either side of our 2. Everyone was spread out nicely and I loved it. I wish it could be like that all the time.

3 minutes ago, Kailash said:

My daughter and I went a few weeks ago. Masks are required unless you are sitting eating or drinking and we had to buy our tickets online. Only certain seats were available and there were several empty seats on either side of our 2. Everyone was spread out nicely and I loved it. I wish it could be like that all the time.

Eta: if you are sitting but not eating or drinking you have to wear a mask. Not sure if that was clear. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I'm not a movie person but that makes sad.  I hate to see businesses like that going out of business.  We had what they called a dollar theatre near my house when I was growing up and you could pay $1 and camp out all day.  Cannot tell you how many times as a kid my friends and I would spend the whole day sitting through viewing after viewing of Grease, Rocky, and the Bad News Bears.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

We have one theatre in my little city and it's on the verge of going under. It's been in business for 107 years. I will be so sad if it goes down. I actually worked at it part-time for fun for about five years - COVID laid me off from there and now that they're back up and running, they're only running 4 nights a week so just the owners are working. They can only have 30 people with our current health order so it's not really feasible. 

If everything goes according to our re-opening plan, they should be back to business by end of July with zero mandates. Hoping they can hold on until then, it's one of my happy places! I miss the theatre so much. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 9

6 minutes ago, viii said:

We have one theatre in my little city and it's on the verge of going under. It's been in business for 107 years. I will be so sad if it goes down. I actually worked at it part-time for fun for about five years - COVID laid me off from there and now that they're back up and running, they're only running 4 nights a week so just the owners are working. They can only have 30 people with our current health order so it's not really feasible. 

If everything goes according to our re-opening plan, they should be back to business by end of July with zero mandates. Hoping they can hold on until then, it's one of my happy places! I miss the theatre so much. 

I felt the same way about a little family owned restaurant near the house.  During quarantine every time I drove by I'd hold my breath and was relieved to see the sign saying they were still open for take out /delivery.  I don't go out to eat or order in very often, but they have the worlds best cream of chicken with rice soup and strawberry pancakes and if you happen to order them together they don't treat you like the weirdo you are.  

I was so pleased they made it through the pandemic without closing.  I don't know the owners but whenever we've been there they've been so friendly I just would have hated to see them lose their business.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Movie theaters in my area were shut down for quite a while. Theaters that didn't go out of business have finally reopened, but I still don't feel like leaving my house (quarantining has been so easy for me, I feel like was born to quarantine).

My solution was to purchase a ticket to see In The Heights at my local movie theater (during the day when seats are plentiful) but I will stay at home and watch it on HBO Max. This allows me to support the movie (via my ticket purchase) without diminishing my status as a recluse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 19

15 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

(quarantining has been so easy for me, I feel like was born to quarantine).

Me too.  I feel guilty for having been kind of relieved to have so much time with a built in excuse to avoid social obligations.  I'm having a few people over next month, and while I'm happy to do it another part of me misses my reclusive nature being acceptable for once.

There is definitely a subset of people like us who had not only an easier time of quarantine than others, but an easier time with quarantine than our regular lives.  

Not sure if this is true for anyone else here, but I can't be the only person in the world who is more likeable via text and email than in person.  If I could go through life and communicate only through written word I'd be much happier.  I used to think it was strange that some people who are warm, charming, and funny irl come off so stilted and terse in email and text.  I would wonder why they can't just type the way they talk and be themselves?  Then I realized I'm the same in reverse and I know some people who love me wish I were as easy to talk to in person as I am via type.  Humans are weird.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
riffles
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 20

21 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

Movie theaters in my area were shut down for quite a while. Theaters that didn't go out of business have finally reopened, but I still don't feel like leaving my house (quarantining has been so easy for me, I feel like was born to quarantine).

My solution was to purchase a ticket to see In The Heights at my local movie theater (during the day when seats are plentiful) but I will stay at home and watch it on HBO Max. This allows me to support the movie (via my ticket purchase) without diminishing my status as a recluse. 

My version of this is that when covid hit, I went and bought myself a $100 gift certificate to each of the two restaurants in my [tiny] town.  Just to keep supporting them even if I wasn't going to be out and about as a customer for a while.

One of them got used up within a few months what with takeout and the occasional outdoor meal (and sometimes indoors as well).

The other one I finally used up just last week!

I'm a "born to quarantine" person as well!

BEB6857D-DB3D-4568-9D18-F6934604A12A.jpeg.9efef1c476121e98cae58e7f1e602549.jpeg

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 20

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic