IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 32: So There Was this Cat Who Knew A Squirrel Who Knows Anna...

HerNameIsBuffy

@church_of_dog, when “The Waltons” was first on TV, Richard Thomas was on a talk show and explained that the reason why the names were changed from the Spencers of “Spencer’s Mountain” (and Clay-Boy was changed to John-Boy, and so on) was because of screen rights issues: there had been a movie version of the original novel (called Spencer’s Mountain) in 1963, and someone else owned the rights to the original name.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

59 minutes ago, Hane said:

@church_of_dog, when “The Waltons” was first on TV, Richard Thomas was on a talk show and explained that the reason why the names were changed from the Spencers of “Spencer’s Mountain” (and Clay-Boy was changed to John-Boy, and so on) was because of screen rights issues: there had been a movie version of the original novel (called Spencer’s Mountain) in 1963, and someone else owned the rights to the original name.

I loved the Waltons so much I remember being really excited to learn of the original movie and wow....I think Patricia Neal is a great actress in other things, but Michael Learned will forever be the one and only Olivia for me.

Looking back I think Olivia and John modeled a very healthy marriage, unusual for it's time.  He absolutely respected her, the love was real, and they were still hot for each other after all those years and all those kids.  If I were going to marry into a fictional family that would be the one.  I would be Mrs. Jim-Bob....but an anti-Michelle.  

• Upvote 14

Sorry if this has already been posted. This is from the husband of one of Clark Wilson’s daughters. The father in law he’s talking about in this post is Clark Wilson. I know Jake Wilson has already commented on this topic as well. I also want to say this guy is a PP Anderson humper now. If just goes to show proof that once you are in one cult, you are more likely to join another cult. Even after you’ve gotten out of that first cult and know that cult was wrong and harmful. 

7FDA39E1-CEA8-4B76-8E3C-B93FF0597C6B.jpeg

I want to add that Elizabeth Schrock Pearl actually liked His post. Which surprised me since she’s Gabe Pearl’s second wife. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 17
  • Thank You 19
  • Love 1

On 5/31/2021 at 11:48 AM, Dandruff said:

Jim-Bob Walton was appealing, unlike...

I haven't seen all of the reunion movies, but I know that in the Thanksgiving reunion in 1993, Jim-Bob's character was still alone in life, even as all of his siblings had found their spouse (or at least a significant other to suck face with onscreen.) Did they match him with somebody in the later reunion movies or was he alone forever?

• Upvote 1

@Mama Mia, if you have ME-TV in your area -and you should if you have cable or satellite or decent antenna service-  The Waltons comes on at noon Monday through Friday.  That is, unless your TV market is small.  Most larger markets will have ME-TV, Antenna TV and COZI. They are on a sub channel of the regular broadcast networks so that they should  be available through whatever means you get the broadcast networks.  Fortunately, they only show one a day. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries airs  three episodes of Monk on weekdays starting at 1 PM, except they skip episodes. They started the first season late last week (last Friday, IIRC, and this afternoon at 3, they showed episode 13.  ETA:  It just occurred to me that The Waltons might be streamed on Paramount +.

Richard Thomas' dad was the son of a coal miner from Paintsville, Kentucky which is not all that far from Loretta Lynn's hometown.  

Also we were talking about fireflies, if anyone is interested in seeing the synchronous fireflies, you can see them in the Great Smoky Mountains NP at Elkmont, IIRC, or at Congaree Swamp NP just outside of Columbia SC.  You need reservations to see them at Congaree and possible at Elkmont as well.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sorry if this has already been posted. This is from the husband of one of Clark Wilson’s daughters. The father in law he’s talking about in this post is Clark Wilson. I know Jake Wilson has already commented on this topic as well. I also want to say this guy is a PP Anderson humper now. If just goes to show proof that once you are in one cult, you are more likely to join another cult. Even after you’ve gotten out of that first cult and know that cult was wrong and harmful. 

7FDA39E1-CEA8-4B76-8E3C-B93FF0597C6B.jpeg

I want to add that Elizabeth Schrock Pearl actually liked His post. Which surprised me since she’s Gabe Pearl’s second wife. 

It seems to me that he is taking a shot at the father of the fifth Unidentified victim’s father. For all accounts people have said he is horrible. Kudos to him though for not revealing the victim. One small decency. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
*unidentified
  • Upvote 9

Whoa, part of me is applauding him for calling out Jboob.. 

but he had already lost me when he said children, not singular.. just don’t comment on this. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

Whoa, part of me is applauding him for calling out Jboob.. 

but he had already lost me when he said children, not singular.. just don’t comment on this. 

That is definitely PP’s influence talking. He thinks you should have more than one child. There are other things he says in there that sounds like PP too. 

• Upvote 4

@JermajestyDuggar  James Weeks has some terrible beliefs as well but it is good that some fundies are actually publicly speaking out against Josh's actions and JB's continuous support of Josh.  

• Upvote 15

50 minutes ago, fundiefriday said:

@JermajestyDuggar  James Weeks has some terrible beliefs as well but it is good that some fundies are actually publicly speaking out against Josh's actions and JB's continuous support of Josh.  

Definitely. He seems to be a follower of Steven Anderson now. I hope it’s short lived. Because Anderson’s cult is even more openly hateful than Gothard’s. Especially of the LGBTQ community. They hate the month of June and will all post the most hateful stuff all month long because of pride. 

2 hours ago, Irishy said:

He lost me at ‘disgustingly effeminate’. Still, it’s pleasing to see them turn on the Duggar’s like this. 

I am guessing that is also Anderson’s influence. PP thinks so many things are effeminate. He hates skinny jeans and the color pink on men. He called a pastor “Pastor polka Dot” for the longest time because the pastor wore a men’s shirt with polka dots on it. He thought polka dots were too effeminate for a man. He said he would take his belt to his teen sons if they wore skinny jeans. He’s even made a sermon saying Jesus wore pants. Everyone knows that’s not true. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Bethy said:

I haven't seen all of the reunion movies, but I know that in the Thanksgiving reunion in 1993, Jim-Bob's character was still alone in life, even as all of his siblings had found their spouse (or at least a significant other to suck face with onscreen.) Did they match him with somebody in the later reunion movies or was he alone forever?

He never married but as he told Mary Ellen, when she said he lived like "a gyspy in that old hangar" (not a word I would use, it's a quote) "I want a home and family, too.  You don't know how much."

Yes, I know WAY too much about the reunion movies and while lack of continuity usually bothers me to an unhealthy degree I am able to fanwank it away for the Waltons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 2

@Mama Mia,  The Waltons is  on at Noon in the Eastern time zone and 11 Central time.  I don't know about Mountain or Pacific, etc, though. 

• Thank You 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yes, I know WAY too much about the reunion movies and while lack of continuity usually bothers me to an unhealthy degree I am able to fanwank it away for the Waltons. 

I have been known to go on rants about this.  I've spent way too much time thinking it.  It's not just normal lack of continuity.  It is bad to a special degree, and beneath the dignity that I have personally , and maybe even creepily, assigned to both Richard Thomas and John Boy Walton. 

For instance, a peek at the description for A Walton Easter shows John & Livy celebrating their 40th anniversary---in 1969???   John Boy was born in about 1918---most of the kids were born before 1929.  So, either John & Livy were living in sin for a decade, or something is very very wrong.  Also, I don't believe that Grandma Walton could have lived to see the moon landing.

Unpleasantness at work right now. I am hiding out here.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I have been known to go on rants about this.  I've spent way too much time thinking it.  It's not just normal lack of continuity.  It is bad to a special degree, and beneath the dignity that I have personally , and maybe even creepily, assigned to both Richard Thomas and John Boy Walton. 

For instance, a peek at the description for A Walton Easter shows John & Livy celebrating their 40th anniversary---in 1969???   John Boy was born in about 1918---most of the kids were born before 1929.  So, either John & Livy were living in sin for a decade, or something is very very wrong.  Also, I don't believe that Grandma Walton could have lived to see the moon landing.

I honestly think because it's so off I was able to ignore it and see it as time travel.  Because you're absolutely right, it's not just a little off it's like off by a generation.  But I love me some Jim-Bob and Erin and Elizabeth...and Ben the visionary.

I mean they're grieving Virginia and wanting another baby in one of the movies when Virginia would have been old enough to have her own babies in the original timeline.  Deep breathing and going back to fanwanking it as Walton's time travel.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I honestly think because it's so off I was able to ignore it and see it as time travel.  Because you're absolutely right, it's not just a little off it's like off by a generation.  But I love me some Jim-Bob and Erin and Elizabeth...and Ben the visionary.

I mean they're grieving Virginia and wanting another baby in one of the movies when Virginia would have been old enough to have her own babies in the original timeline.  Deep breathing and going back to fanwanking it as Walton's time travel.

Wait, who was Virginia? I remember Olivia thinking she was pregnant and it was instead menopause. I loved Jason. I thought he seemed so kind and laid back. He actually reminds me of my husband now that I think of it. Wait a minute, Virginia was Ben's daughter? I didn't know she died! I knew the shows pretty well but never saw the subsequent specials. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They also apparently forgot that Jason and Cindy had another kid Charlie. I guess he died too? 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

They also apparently forgot that Jason and Cindy had another kid Charlie. I guess he died too? 

John Curtis was missing, too.  They just had Clay and Katie her kids with Jonesy.  And that throw away line was ridiculous to explain Jonesy's absense...he was in Vietnam teaching them how to care for their animals.  He was in the service in the story line but had to throw in a line to sanitize it.

• Upvote 5

This is possibly my favorite thread drift ever. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 5

7 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Thank you for this.  I thought I was the only one who noticed the timeline in the later Waltons' specials was way off.  For instance, in the special that took place in 1969, wasn't Elizabeth returning home from the Peace Corps, which she joined right after recently graduating from college?  As the youngest child and born in the late 1920s, she would have been in her late 40s/pushing 50 in 1969.  The 1969 Peace Corps/recent college graduate storyline would have been more applicable to eldest missing grandchild John Curtis, who if I remember correctly, was born in 1940.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Jason was married to Toni. Ben was married to Cindy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

36 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Thank you for this.  I thought I was the only one who noticed the timeline in the later Waltons' specials was way off.  For instance, in the special that took place in 1969, wasn't Elizabeth returning home from the Peace Corps, which she joined right after recently graduating from college?  As the youngest child and born in the late 1920s, she would have been in her late 40s/pushing 50 in 1969.  The 1969 Peace Corps/recent college graduate storyline would have been more applicable to eldest missing grandchild John Curtis, who if I remember correctly, was born in 1940.  

I’m in the club of being driven nuts by the timelines in the specials. It was especially annoying because they did such a good job in the series of following real ages and growth and shifts in the social and economic landscape. There were lots of good storylines that could have addressed the changes of post-war US life and with the “ kids” moving through adulthood.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Unfundie said:

Jason was married to Toni. Ben was married to Cindy.

Oh, your right.

• Upvote 2

The time thing of the reunion shows makes me crazy. It really throws things off.. I mean, by the time John Boy had his twins, he would have been 50 or older..

And Erin divorced her husband, but when they got married, John boy's voice over talked about the love that was as strong as the day they married...

Loved Toni and Jason's names for their kids... Patsy Cline Walton, Roy Clark Walton, etc..

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Judy Norton Taylor (Mary Ellen) talked about their reunion movie that was done in 1993. She said that CBS wanted to do reunion movie & have it centered around JFK being killed & how the family handled it. She did talk about the time line not making any sense. She also said that the actors on the show (the ones old enough to remember JFK’s death talked about where they were & how they felt). 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic