IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 31: Charged on 2 LaCounts

Destiny

I listened to Justin and Julia's podcast last night ("I Pray You Don't Read This Journal") or something close to that. It was so touching I burned through all three episodes. Josh's arrest and bond hearing details have unsettled Justin and Julia and they've been flooded with unresolved feelings about their fundie families of origin. I think it offers tender but raw insight into that world. Justin's family first met the Duggars when he was 15 years old.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

I forgot already who did it, but thanks for recapping Justin's podcast. Really glad you found it as interesting as I did.

Re:issues on Catholic Church...

Good gravy where are these priests coming from? Politics in sermons at Mass? They going the wrong way. Mass is absolutely not about politics but is supposed to be a time for meditation on how the Gospel is to prepare us for a life well led. I am sorry, but I agree with others who say find another church or go another way. I suppose that I have been fortunate in the church I attend on a little NA reservation.  We have a super young (he is 35) Franciscan as our priest.  He is more interested in us, individually and as a congregation than politics. But again super tiny church with active membership of less than 200. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

20 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Looking up Duggar news on Twitter, I've learned far more than I ever wanted about the SF Giants.

Ha!  I'm a SF Giants fan and everytime I see Steven Duggar or hear the announcers say his name, I wonder if he's hating on Josh Duggar right now.

• Upvote 14

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I can post more about what was said if there is any interest. 

Interest here! I'd much rather read than listen. Thank you for your recap so far!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 27

The catholic hierarchy preaching about politics is not new, but it is a throwback. Back in the day the archbishop in Boston tried to tell Catholics who to vote for prolife candidates and it was a disaster. 

• Upvote 6

On 5/11/2021 at 12:40 AM, Queen Of Hearts said:

It is true. Losing custody does not get you out of support but having your rights terminated does.  

I used to work in Child Support Enforcement in my state prior to switching to Juvenile Probation. In terms of support, the only time a parent was not responsible was when they voluntarily surrendered their rights in order for a child to be adopted by another parent (step-parent, adoptive family, grandparent) or to be freed for adoption by the Department of Social Services. Parents who's rights were terminated and their child was in foster care, the other parent or a third party but were not freed for adoption were still responsible to provide for the child and thus mandated to pay child support. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

@Sullie06 I hated the 2 years I did in JP, not because of the kids, but because of the parents. No one wants to believe little Johnny/Jenny isn't the perfect little student and that the kid has serious issues they never observed/willfully ignored. 

• Upvote 6

Wonder how Anna is coping with the current circumstances.  It may be a plus that Josh can't live with her because of the kids, but she also (if I'm understanding correctly) can't leave town because Josh is entitled to visitation with the kids.  Sounds like she's stuck until Josh pleads or his trial ends.  In the meanwhile, I imagine she might be getting tired of listening to him.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, I'm sure you are right, I just got it mixed up. I wrote it up late last night, sorry.

No need to apologize! I had to listen to that part twice because I kept getting thrown off by the name Jim, thinking Jim Bob. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

@Sullie06 I hated the 2 years I did in JP, not because of the kids, but because of the parents. No one wants to believe little Johnny/Jenny isn't the perfect little student and that the kid has serious issues they never observed/willfully ignored. 

Yes the families are the hardest part. We always joke around with our Adult Criminal PO's that they have one client, we have the whole damn family. I do love working with most of the kids themselves though. We'll see if I stay in juvenile long term though...

• Love 5

20 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Wonder how Anna is coping with the current circumstances.  It may be a plus that Josh can't live with her because of the kids, but she also (if I'm understanding correctly) can't leave town because Josh is entitled to visitation with the kids.  Sounds like she's stuck until Josh pleads or his trial ends.  In the meanwhile, I imagine she might be getting tired of listening to him.

I know it’s mostly because she’s seemingly pregnant all of the time, but why are Josh’s transgressions always brought to light during the odd years, when Anna is pregnant? If there’s a higher power, it is particularly cruel to good, ole Anna-

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, amaznmom2u said:

I forgot already who did it, but thanks for recapping Justin's podcast. Really glad you found it as interesting as I did.

Re:issues on Catholic Church...

Good gravy where are these priests coming from? Politics in sermons at Mass? They going the wrong way. Mass is absolutely not about politics but is supposed to be a time for meditation on how the Gospel is to prepare us for a life well led. I am sorry, but I agree with others who say find another church or go another way. I suppose that I have been fortunate in the church I attend on a little NA reservation.  We have a super young (he is 35) Franciscan as our priest.  He is more interested in us, individually and as a congregation than politics. But again super tiny church with active membership of less than 200. 

I agree about Justin's podcast. I listened to it (while working, so missed some details) this morning. I will need to listen to the others but need to wait until my kids aren't home. 

I go to a very large (5 masses every weekend; 4 priests) catholic church. The 4 priests are vastly different, one was from a very large  farm family, he was the baby and was allowed to go to college and become a priest (he is pushing 80, I think), one is a young newbie (less than 10 years as a priest), one is a refugee (can't figure his age- 50ish?) and the head priest is 50, from the area. None of them have talked politics besides to say to vote and the church says any covid vaccine is ok to get. They in tune with the coronavirus and urge people to wear the masks, stay safe and get vaccinated (they have very strict distancing and mask policies, our church has not had an outbreak from the church; unlike other denominations in the area). Like you said, all 4 priests are interested in all of us individually and as a community. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 10

Came across this on a Twitter thread discussing why Christians and Evangelicals in particular don't want to come to terms with why people really leave the church.  Then this exchange happens: 

The "Josh Duggar didn't do anything wrong" wing-nut brigade is marching briskly along. 

• Disgust 7
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 60
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Came across this on a Twitter thread discussing why Christians and Evangelicals in particular don't want to come to terms with why people really leave the church.  Then this exchange happens: 

The "Josh Duggar didn't do anything wrong" wing-nut brigade is marching briskly along. 

seriously? some of these asshats are saying the pictures are ultrasound photos? The ultrasound photos I have of my kids are the 2d kind where you kind of get a blob/baby shape. All 3-d ultrasound pictures I have seen are of the baby's face. But none of this matters because Darren Mays is an idiot and just wants to excuse bad, criminal behavior. UGH!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 19

Almost tempted to re open Twitter (deleted acct ages ago cause it is a cesspool) and graphically explain what Josh watched. Very tempting but I won't.

The ignorance no longer astounds me, just saddens me. 

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Interest here! I'd much rather read than listen. Thank you for your recap so far!

Can we separate the podcast writeups and/or give Justin his own page? Pretty sure he would be up to a qna about his life as a fundie and life afterward. (He has probably discussed the manchild as much as he cares to at this point).  I think more than just Duggar snarkers would be interested in "Escape from Fundie Mountain" (thread title?)

• Upvote 17

13 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

The ignorance no longer astounds me, just saddens me. 

I agree. I find the the trumpians and the fundies sadden me. All we can do is keep voting and getting more to vote to fight the political stuff but as for the fundies, all we (society) can do is keep calling it out and hope people find sites like this and open their eyes.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Also interested. I read the Reddit AMA in fascination.  I’m interested in the podcasts, but their length puts me off. Appreciate any recaps! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Wonder how Anna is coping with the current circumstances.  

I wonder how Mrs. Reber is coping with her current circumstances.

You just know Josh is all smarmy and cheerful and totally ignoring the circumstances that lead him to her home.  If I'd been forced to take someone like him in, knowing full well he was a extra creepy pedophile, I'd be sickened and frightened and feel like a prisoner in my own home. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 15

I'm just gonna leave this here.  My niece sent this link.  I don't know who this psychic is.  A lot of what he says is already known.

Spoiler

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 5

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I find the the trumpians and the fundies sadden me.

I've given up on them. The fact that so many are also COVID conspiracists and anti-vaxxers leads me to think that their own delusions will ultimately, uh, limit their future influence on the rest of us. 

• Upvote 20
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

He was sent to a church member's home to "dig out a pond"--apparently something that's done in Arkansas for homes with ponds that don't hold water. The sludge is dug out with a shovel. Josh was isolated in a building on the man's property (the man lived nearby and brought him meals but didn't talk to him) for weeks while he was digging.

I have to say--that seems pretty cruel. I had heard the pond story, but didn't realize that he lived there for weeks in solitary confinement. I've always particularly hated Josh since the first show I saw, but that is a lot for a young person.  Although maybe he secretly enjoyed his time alone in the shed away from his billion siblings?

• Upvote 24

My town has a Catholic Church with 3 priests. The church as been extremely careful with Covid they have increased the number of services they have & members have to sign up before hand & if they miss a service they can’t go to the next one. However, even with all these provisions back in mid November one of the priests (the youngest one) ended up with Covid. They had to cancel all services because they didn’t want in danger their members. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I see Anna praying feverishly day and night for the judge to see Josh as a good Christian man who made a mistake and is forgiven by Christ's love. Yes, I do think Josh living away from Anna is the best thing for her right now. But I do believe, for the time being, that she is letting her kids see Josh as much as possible.

1 hour ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I wonder how Mrs. Reber is coping with her current circumstances.

You just know Josh is all smarmy and cheerful and totally ignoring the circumstances that lead him to her home.  If I'd been forced to take someone like him in, knowing full well he was a extra creepy pedophile, I'd be sickened and frightened and feel like a prisoner in my own home. 

She has no choice but to obey her husbands wishes. I wouldn't be surprised if JB offered the Rebers some form of compensation for taking Josh in until he either pleads guilty or his trial is over and done with. I do feel for her because her whole life had to be rearranged completely for months, possibly a year, because Josh is living in her house. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I've given up on them. The fact that so many are also COVID conspiracists and anti-vaxxers leads me to think that their own delusions will ultimately, uh, limit their future influence on the rest of us. 

I've given up on them too, and one of those I've given up on is one of my remaining living sisters.  I just can't anymore.

• Sad 4
  • Love 31

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic