IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 31: Charged on 2 LaCounts

Destiny

On 5/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Misery Duggars, or Miserie.

La-Miserables Duggar?... (you know, to commemorate the conception while living with LaCount...)

Terrible. I know. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

58 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I've given up on them. The fact that so many are also COVID conspiracists and anti-vaxxers leads me to think that their own delusions will ultimately, uh, limit their future influence on the rest of us. 

One can only hope!

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I've given up on them too, and one of those I've given up on is one of my remaining living sisters.  I just can't anymore.

I am so sorry.

I know that people are as enmeshed in trumpism/QAnon as anyone ever was with Jim Jones or other cults but hope that she will see the light sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

She has no choice but to obey her husbands wishes. I wouldn't be surprised if JB offered the Rebers some form of compensation for taking Josh in until he either pleads guilty or his trial is over and done with. 

Compensation, or the Bobfather has kompromat on someone.  Would not surprise me.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

37 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I am so sorry.

I know that people are as enmeshed in trumpism/QAnon as anyone ever was with Jim Jones or other cults but hope that she will see the light sooner rather than later.

Many of them do and those who don't seen to have tragic endings. I hope this won't be the case here. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, postscript said:

Also interested. I read the Reddit AMA in fascination.  I’m interested in the podcasts, but their length puts me off. Appreciate any recaps! 

Same... I listened to all of the first one and half of the second several days ago but they are so long.  

4 hours ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

No need to apologize! I had to listen to that part twice because I kept getting thrown off by the name Jim, thinking Jim Bob. 

Oh, that's what must have confused me. I thought he was referring to Jim Bob.

• Upvote 1

Am I recollecting wrong but didn't the Rebers say they only have dial up? How is the daughter able to conduct piano lessons via Zoom/FaceTime? I suppose she could have an unlimited data plan on her phone, but what prevents Josh from walking in on a lesson? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

Am I recollecting wrong but didn't the Rebers say they only have dial up?

They only have a mobile hotspot through their cellular plan. I'm speculating that they're so far out that their options are wifi through their phones or satellite internet.

• Thank You 8

6 hours ago, amaznmom2u said:

I forgot already who did it, but thanks for recapping Justin's podcast. Really glad you found it as interesting as I did.

Re:issues on Catholic Church...

Good gravy where are these priests coming from? Politics in sermons at Mass? They going the wrong way. Mass is absolutely not about politics but is supposed to be a time for meditation on how the Gospel is to prepare us for a life well led. I am sorry, but I agree with others who say find another church or go another way. I suppose that I have been fortunate in the church I attend on a little NA reservation.  We have a super young (he is 35) Franciscan as our priest.  He is more interested in us, individually and as a congregation than politics. But again super tiny church with active membership of less than 200. 

My mother and her siblings were raised Catholic.  My uncle was a divorced, remarried man who was excommunicated back in the 70's.   Shortly before his death, he was inpatient for cardiac problems and his long term roommate was a Baptist Minister.   Apparently they had a lot of conversations about religion because my Uncle decided to convert to Baptist.  When he was failing in health, those old Catholic rites and rituals came forward and he voiced his disappointment that he was not able to receive last rites.  His second wife went to the local Catholic priest and asked if an exception could be made and was told absolutely not.  But, a few days later the priest called her back and said that an exception could be made if they would donate $5000 to some fund or parish need.   Uncle said Hell No.  The Baptist minister performed my Uncle's funeral service, and delivered a very hell and brimstone sermon about how corrupt other religions could be and that Uncle had been born again and was truly in Heaven.  It was kind of funny watching the family of Catholics, most of them lapsed but still Catholic squirm in their seats.    I went up to the pastor afterwards and told him I loved his sermon.    He laughed a little and said "Tough Audience."  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 22
  • Love 2

Maybe Anna won't name the next kid an M name. Maybe she'll change the theme! THAT would be exciting!

My ideas

IhateJosh

Joshisanass

WhydidIlistentomyparents

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 27
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

My mother and her siblings were raised Catholic.  My uncle was a divorced, remarried man who was excommunicated back in the 70's.   Shortly before his death, he was inpatient for cardiac problems and his long term roommate was a Baptist Minister.   Apparently they had a lot of conversations about religion because my Uncle decided to convert to Baptist.  When he was failing in health, those old Catholic rites and rituals came forward and he voiced his disappointment that he was not able to receive last rites.  His second wife went to the local Catholic priest and asked if an exception could be made and was told absolutely not.  But, a few days later the priest called her back and said that an exception could be made if they would donate $5000 to some fund or parish need.   Uncle said Hell No.  The Baptist minister performed my Uncle's funeral service, and delivered a very hell and brimstone sermon about how corrupt other religions could be and that Uncle had been born again and was truly in Heaven.  It was kind of funny watching the family of Catholics, most of them lapsed but still Catholic squirm in their seats.    I went up to the pastor afterwards and told him I loved his sermon.    He laughed a little and said "Tough Audience."  

My husband was raised Methodist. He had a couple of strokes last year. He was really impressed by the care he received at our Catholic Hospital. He told my priest that he wanted to convert. My priest told him that was just the stroke talking. ? 

I would would never presume to judge anyone who left the Church, and I would also likely discourage people from seeking to convert. I have been really blessed with my personal experiences with Catholicism, but I am not blinds to problems in the Church. ?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 17

6 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

My husband was raised Methodist. He had a couple of strokes last year. He was really impressed by the care he received at our Catholic Hospital. He told my priest that he wanted to convert. My priest told him that was just the stroke talking. ? 

I would would never presume to judge anyone who left the Church, and I would also likely discourage people from seeking to convert. I have been really blessed with my personal experiences with Catholicism, but I am not blinds to problems in the Church. ?

That is a good Priest. If he were someone like JRod, he would be counting the "won over soul"

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

My grandmother got mad at a priest over my uncle getting in (deserved according to him) trouble at Catholic school and left the church. She went to a Lutheran church for the rest of her life.  When she was on hospice care, my aunt who married a Catholic and returned to the Catholic Church in adulthood wanted her to be anointed. (It is not called last rites).  Hospice called a local parish and a priest cane and did it, no questions asked. 

My father returned to the church three weeks before he died. The priest at the local parish (in the most conservative diocese in America, TM) came to the house and spoke privately with him and that was all that was required. Another priest from a different parish anointed him at hospice. That priest taught my brother and I in our Catholic high school and knew our family wasn’t Catholic.  My brother called him and asked and told him dad had recently returned to the church. No other questions were asked. No money changed hands in either case.

But these stories don’t fit the narrative and never get told. 

• Upvote 17
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Just read a comment by someone called Outlandish History on Christina Randall's YT video about Josh. The user said that GM Mary was her Sunday School teacher and that she brought her to the Duggar house one day. Before they went in, Mary said that they lived in an "odd" way which concerned her, but that her job was to be Grandma. If this comment is legit, it would certainly explain why Mary helped out so much and why she tried to have alone time as much as possible with her grandkids. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 5

15 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My grandmother got mad at a priest over my uncle getting in (deserved according to him) trouble at Catholic school and left the church. She went to a Lutheran church for the rest of her life.  When she was on hospice care, my aunt who married a Catholic and returned to the Catholic Church in adulthood wanted her to be anointed. (It is not called last rites).  Hospice called a local parish and a priest cane and did it, no questions asked. 

My father returned to the church three weeks before he died. The priest at the local parish (in the most conservative diocese in America, TM) came to the house and spoke privately with him and that was all that was required. Another priest from a different parish anointed him at hospice. That priest taught my brother and I in our Catholic high school and knew our family wasn’t Catholic.  My brother called him and asked and told him dad had recently returned to the church. No other questions were asked. No money changed hands in either case.

But these stories don’t fit the narrative and never get told. 

I've got a similar one.  My dad hadn't set foot in church with the exception of baptisms, weddings, confirmations etc. his entire adult life.  At the end the Catholic hospital chaplain stopped in to see if he wanted the anointing of the sick/ viaticum he nodded and it was done, no questions asked.  

Church also had no issue with the funeral mass, and our donation was whatever was standard at the time.  There was no shakedown due to him being lapsed.  

My mom had died 4 months prior and if you want a story about being shaken down by a church her fundy lite Evangelical Free church explained to us how they knew our mom would definitely want us to tithe the estate, including the sale of the house.  I like to think the silence filled with our incredulity and rage was a fun new experience for him.

• Upvote 14
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 13

Forgive if this has been covered before. Why were Smuggar ,Anna and M6 living in a warehouse and not the huge ass house with the pool?  

• I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've got a similar one.  My dad hadn't set foot in church with the exception of baptisms, weddings, confirmations etc. his entire adult life.  At the end the Catholic hospital chaplain stopped in to see if he wanted the anointing of the sick/ viaticum he nodded and it was done, no questions asked.  

Church also had no issue with the funeral mass, and our donation was whatever was standard at the time.  There was no shakedown due to him being lapsed.  

My mom had died 4 months prior and if you want a story about being shaken down by a church her fundy lite Evangelical Free church explained to us how they knew our mom would definitely want us to tithe the estate, including the sale of the house.  I like to think the silence filled with our incredulity and rage was a fun new experience for him.

Same with dad’s funeral. I actually checked it out with my priest at the time a couple of months before he died. He had been telling me he wanted a funeral mass but would not let me call a priest to see him. I was worried it would be difficult. I learned from my priest that anyone who is a baptized Catholic can have a funeral mass regardless of their status when they die (except in the very rare care of excommunication). Worst case scenario would have been that we would have had to have the parish where he was baptized confirm that. But it was not a problem.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I have absolutely no words for that. Did they try to contact you again ?
  • Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

We

47 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Forgive if this has been covered before. Why were Smuggar ,Anna and M6 living in a warehouse and not the huge ass house with the pool?  

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think JB sold it out of the family. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I have absolutely no words for that. Did they try to contact you again ?

They did not.  We had to have the service there because she was very involved and it was her "church family" but we kicked them some money for the service, Idk how much but whatever my fundy-lite sister said was common practice and that was that.

Unrelated to the church, the neighbor from across the street handed my brother her business card as we were walking into the sanctuary for the service.  She was a realtor.  She expressed her condolences and then said she is sure my mom would want the sale of the house handled by someone who cares about the neighborhood.  

And yes, that was a dog whistle.  Bitch.

My brother didn't say one word, just crumpled her card and dropped it at his feet and we walked in like she wasn't there.  I was about to lose my shit but stayed quiet because he handled that like a boss.

Spoiler alert we didn't chose her for our realtor and the family who bought it wouldn't have met her criteria for the right kind of people for the neighborhood.  So sad for the bigot.

• Upvote 20
  • WTF 2
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Maybe Anna won't name the next kid an M name. Maybe she'll change the theme! THAT would be exciting!

My ideas

IhateJosh

Joshisanass

WhydidIlistentomyparents

Or, if she wants to stay with the M theme, here are some names that might work:

Mishegas

Mayherot

Mychildrendeservebetter

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

My ideas

IhateJosh

Joshisanass

WhydidIlistentomyparents

She could go the way of the Puritans and choose overly specific Bible verses and sayings: 

Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultery Duggar

Leave-and-Cleave Duggar

Fly-Fornication Duggar ("fly" being the old timey spelling for "flee")

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 21

I went ahead and listened to Justin’s podcasts #2&3 while helping with a small construction project - IOW, not real closely. And my wirk partner is half deaf, so I didn’t need to explain. 

I got over my annoyance at Justin’s slight vocal fry (JMHO) and by the time he described the story of Josh’s betrayal I was feeling very tender-hearted toward Justin.

IIRC, He tried to call media attention to some part of the scandal but was stymied, maybe by lack of a second source for the info.

My cold old heart fairly broke when he expressed his frustration at how cavalierly TLC execs have made bank while giving vile fundamentalist doctrine wide exposure. 

A thousand thanks to whoever brought his podcast to our attention. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic