IGNORED

[CW: Child Sex Abuse] Josh & Anna 31: Charged on 2 LaCounts

Destiny

14 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

And that his words would be the catalyst that caused me to give up my Catholic faith.

The priest won't give a damn. He probably considers you a non-Catholic anyway. 

I told off a priest at my mother's funeral. It didn't do any good. I wanted to slap the smug right off his face. The mother had not been to Mass in years due to being housebound...he was like "well how do I know she was still Catholic?". 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 21

I found this photo of Josh and Anna's Washington DC area home in the Daily Fail.

Spoiler

Moving_Josh_and_Anna_Duggar_suburban_home.jpg.6aa7ad08c74144630d43d5bb03b41286.jpg

I assume a rental house with five bedrooms 23 minutes from downtown DC would have cost a fair amount, even though back decades ago when I lived in the DC area Oxon Hill was not was not a particularly upscale neighborhood. It may have changed, since I only get back once every decade or so now.  PRC must have been paying Josh quite well, or, he was being subsidized by his family.  (Or Josh was taking money under the table, which would have been rather problematic.) 

Anyway, it was quite a comedown from a nice house in the DC area, going to fancy parties, and rubbing shoulders with those Josh and Anna would have viewed as movers and shakers, to living in a warehouse and Josh working in that pathetic little used car lot. 

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

I was skimming through the r/DuggarSnark thread and came across a verified AMA from a guy who grew up with Joshie...Interesting and illuminating read. Now this guy has started a "podcast" on YouTube going through his journal from his time at ATI. I found it very insightful as he and his wife (both former fundies) discuss the mindset and thought processes he was going through. He also describes the golden boy and how he was set up for failure and really digs into Anna. Link to his channel in spoiler. 

I read the first AMA from this guy. It sounded like he was quoting from FJ. Anyone who uses “TLC gravy train” or other identifiers from snark pages rings false to me. ?

ETA: Also it’s gross for him to try and build his own platform off of this. No thanks. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Downvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

@neuroticcat *shrug* of course he has lurked on FJ and Reddit. He admits to it when he started questioning the whole ideology and looking for answers. But I listened to EP 1 and 2 last night, to me it feels real. YMMV. 

edit: I don't think he is building a platform. He specifically states this is a limited edition series and is using it mostly as a stream of consciousness form of therapy. 

Edited by amaznmom2u
Didn't want to play tag
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, amaznmom2u said:

@neuroticcat *shrug* of course he has lurked on FJ and Reddit. He admits to it when he started questioning the whole ideology and looking for answers. But I listened to EP 1 and 2 last night, to me it feels real. YMMV. 

edit: I don't think he is building a platform. He specifically states this is a limited edition series and is using it mostly as a stream of consciousness form of therapy. 

Yeah I only skimmed the AMA so can’t speak to the YouTube or any other content. 

If he is legit, I hope he’s able to get actual therapy. Getting feedback on your private journals from the internet I imagine will, in the end, be profoundly unhelpful. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Forward your email to the diocese.  They need to know what the priest is doing and saying.  I'm so sorry you encountered a jerk.  

Depending on where the OP is, the diocese, the Bishop, will be all up into the priest and tell OP to "pound sand" and they'll pray for her eternal soul...seeing as how the Catholic Church believes that if you leave it, you'll roast in hell for eternity. 

Now, before we get too far into the weeds here, let me quote the Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 846-48, which—as is so often the case no matter the doctrine with the CCC—presents this teaching clearly and to the point under the heading: “Outside the Church there is no Salvation.”

How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

“Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it” (CCC here quotes The Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, “Lumen Gentium,” 14, from the documents of Vatican II).

quoted from https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/is-there-really-no-salvation-outside-the-catholic-church

• Sad 3
  • Thank You 1

Just now, neuroticcat said:

Yeah I only skimmed the AMA so can’t speak to the YouTube or any other content. 

If he is legit, I hope he’s able to get actual therapy. Getting feedback on your private journals from the internet I imagine will, in the end, be profoundly unhelpful. 

Yes he has been through therapy. He and his wife both are surprisingly well spoken. I don't mean to sound like I am white knighting... but listening to him talk about the difference in who he was vs who he is now and the journey he took to get here warms the cockles of my very hardened and sinful heart (?). 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

People who are dysfunctional (can't raise their kids) usually have difficulty holding steady jobs too. So they're likely to be terrible parents AND unable to hold a job.
People in lower income groups are often involved with social services in other ways (food stamps, etc) and so it's easier to see neglect and abuse. Wealthy families can isolate more easily.
In wealthy families, the parents often hold prominent positions in the community (doctor, rabbi, lawyer, etc) and social services find it more intimidating to challenge them, or they tend to give these parents the benefit of the doubt.
But abuse and neglect certainly happens in wealthy families.  It's just easier to stay under the radar. 

You’re funny [emoji38] I know plenty of people who get food stamps and social services isn’t close to being involved.

Going back to my hiding place now and lurking again....
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HoneyBunny said:

I know we’ve kind of gotten away from the discussion about Catholicism and its traditions and rituals, but I was still too torn up to discuss this in the last thread, so I will put this out here now. I guess I just need to tell someone and the FJ community feels safe.I

I find the stories on this thread about people’s experience with the Catholic Church to be insightful and helpful. Where I live, if there are those who turn from the church or from religion, you don’t really talk about it because most around here attend church.

Wow, that priest you mentioned! Totally disgusting! He’s the type who, when told a list of the former President’s sins, sticks his hand in his ears and says nananananana! He can’t even set aside his political agenda for one day to honor women on Mother’s Day? It’s an outrage, selfish and brainless.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Off topic a little, but:
Does anyone else think that due to Josh being in prison when M7 is born, Anna will suck up and name her Michelle? 

Mercy.

What he’s gonna beg the judge for.
  • Upvote 14

41 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Forward your email to the diocese.  They need to know what the priest is doing and saying.  I'm so sorry you encountered a jerk.  

I’d definitely do this.

4 hours ago, Candycane36 said:

We have seen Josh humiliatie Anna on screen, when he made a comment about Anna swallowing a pill, he also made comments about his sister's incest was something they do in Arkansas. Josh has visited strip clubs, paid for sex workers , cheated, lied, hid money from Anna, indulged in inappropriate online sites, and now facing jail time. it this was not enough to convince Anna to leave, than nothing ever will. Anna does has choices, and she is choosing to stay with Josh.

Anna is addicted to the chaos. Truly.

• Upvote 12

12 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Mercy.

What he’s gonna beg the judge for.

I'm thinking of an alternative name that is sooooo inappropriate, right now. ?

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

As an adoptive parent of two severely neglected children, I would have been surprised that the birth parents were actually giving money to the state to support their neglected children. Hell, they neglected them when they were in the same house! Are they going to step up when someone else is feeding them, housing them, clothing them, sending them to school? 

Sorry, that set me off.. I don't have any photos of my two youngest until I met them when they were school aged. Their previous caregiver does but she won't share them. Our social worker said it was important for them to remember and grieve that time, but she has steadfastly refused to show anyone those photos.

Oh, and... all those holding companies... isn't that a good way to launder money? JB? got an answer?

Where she live? well organise a fj raiding party! fuck her! people like that shit the fuck out of me!!!! Poor Babes. Who wants to make little ones live shittier!

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

The priest won't give a damn. He probably considers you a non-Catholic anyway. 

I told off a priest at my mother's funeral. It didn't do any good. I wanted to slap the smug right off his face. The mother had not been to Mass in years due to being housebound...he was like "well how do I know she was still Catholic?". 

That would have pushed me over the edge, too. My mom hasn’t been to Mass in years either; however, she turned a table into an altar with her own tablecloth and crucifix for the Eucharistic minister to use when he visited her assisted living center. And since the pandemic, with no Eucharistic ministers allowed in, she is the person who has organized  non-denominational  Christmas and Easter services for all the residents. Don’t tell me she’s not Catholic enough. 

Thank you all for your support.  It’s exactly what I need right now, and what I was pretty sure I’d find here. As for sending my letter to the diocese…the bishop is the one who is leading the charge on this. In fact, the first words the priest said Saturday evening is that he was so blessed to be serving under this bishop because of his firm stand on these issues. So, yeah, no help there. 

There is a liberal Jesuit parish operating about 25 miles north of where I live.  It intermittently has and doesn’t have the blessing of the diocese (a different one than I’m in).  I have a feeling it’s on the outs right now. I might try there, but, frankly, am not sure if I’m committed enough after all this to even give it a try. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 22

6 hours ago, Jillybits said:

Parents only have a year to comply or get their rights terminated, which sounds like a lot, but not when you have little resources.   

Yes, but if a parent goes 11.75 months before doing a single fucking thing to reunite with the child, the clock starts again. Our Foster child whose adoption failed was in that hell of a state with the birth mother for over 4 years before the situation was resolved with the new foster/adoptive parents.

26 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Where she live? well organise a fj raiding party! fuck her! people like that shit the fuck out of me!!!! Poor Babes. Who wants to make little on s live shittier!

Our social worker? She thought the kids needed to mourn the time they were neglected. So photos of them in raggedy clothes, dirty, thin and hungry looking  would help them grieve, show their anger, etc. It sounded like a good idea. I thought they could move forward. (both hoarded food under their beds for years, for instance) However, it still came out over the years and they do seem to be happier and stable now, in their 20s.

I have to say our social workers were ALL so helpful with resources and services for our foster and adopted children.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

.seeing as how the Catholic Church believes that if you leave it, you'll roast in hell for eternity

FWIW I was taught from the Catholic Church that lack of salvation was separation from God, nothing about burning in hell.  Hell was presented as not getting into heaven.

The fire and brimstone that still fills me with fear all came once my mom switched to fundy-lite.

ymmv but that wasn’t the doctrine in my experience with the RCC.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Yes, but if a parent goes 11.75 months before doing a single fucking thing to reunite with the child, the clock starts again. Our Foster child whose adoption failed was in that hell of a state with the birth mother for over 4 years before the situation was resolved with the new foster/adoptive parents.

Our social worker? She thought the kids needed to mourn the time they were neglected. So photos of them in raggedy clothes, dirty, thin and hungry looking  would help them grieve, show their anger, etc. It sounded like a good idea. I thought they could move forward. (both hoarded food under their beds for years, for instance) However, it still came out over the years and they do seem to be happier and stable now, in their 20s.

I have to say our social workers were ALL so helpful with resources and services for our foster and adopted children.

I am glad they are doing better. I just don't get anyone who wants to make kids lives harder. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

My very Catholic parents left their church due to political priests. They found another church in a neighboring town.  It was a big deal to them to leave, but they did not agree with politics being preached. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I haven't listened, but the language thing wouldn't put me off.  Of course he's read forums about this, people pick up the vernacular none of which I saw specific to FJ.  But even if he was all "eleventy!!!11!!!!" and riffles I'd just assume he's read here like a lot of people.

Btw my kids think I invented eleventy!!1!!! - I've explained FJ a million times and they never remember.  My youngest refers to it as "that place mom goes online to talk to her imaginary friends."  Always said with an eyeroll.   My daughter calls it "That site you help with, where @Destiny is."  If I mention it to my eldest he just smirks and says, "oh yeah, your Duggar people."  

For all my kids care I could be Pickles.  

Well I’ve never seen you and Pickles in the same room at the same time sooooooo yea. 

• Haha 6

The current bishop in my diocese is a total arrogant jerk but most of the priests are fantastic. The priest that presided over January 1st Mass spoke about all families being signs of God’s love whether they had one mom and one dad, two moms, two dads, single parent, foster parents, grandparents etc. On Mother’s Day, he acknowledged that women may act as mothers who do not have children and that all women who care for and love others show the Maternal love of God. Maybe we’re a little more liberal north of the 49th? Or maybe you’ve had really rotten luck! Either way, I’m sorry your experiences have been so horrible. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

I read the entire AMA thread on Reddit and that guy had some interesting allegations/experiences from being friends with Josh during their teen years.

- He said that Josh had a lot of rage towards his father and that he even cried over it to his friend.

- He said that JimBob also had a lot of anger towards his own father. The friend thought there might even have been abuse there, but never received any definite information on that. 

- He said there was something off with JimBob's father and that perhaps he had some sexually inappropriate leanings himself. He did say that it was all kinds of hints and nothing definite, but personally I found this bit mighty interesting.

- He said Josh hammed it up for the cameras and that in real life he was much more intense.

- He said that Michelle actually has that voice!

- He said the lost boys were so desperate for attention that they ran to whomever came to the TTH and would be all over them.

There was lots more, but I found those bits the most interesting.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 12

@HoneyBunny in my area and my parent's area and my sister's area (3 different areas in the same state) politics are not spoke about at the pulpit besides to say voting is a right, use it. Right now a constant petition my parrish has is for the covid patients, vaccine distribution and people go get it. Another often petition is some sort of end of violence.

I think the Bishop needs to be told. Sadly, some priests go rogue with what you explained or wanting to go back to Vatican 1.  ?

In my area, the evangelical and prosperity churches preach politics but it isn't right in any church that is tax exempted because of it being a house of worship. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic