IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

From what I have seen (instagram and old clips on YouTube), Katie's got an adaptive personality and is good at making people happy. I can't see her demanding to wear jeans, instead I see her going along with Travis's family to keep the peace. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

This. I think Katie will stay skirts only. I definitely don't think she'll be in ripped jeans like her sisters.  

If Katie is living in NJ I don’t see her staying in dresses only.  NJ is not TN by any stretch of the imagination, even in the most “rural” area.  NJ is primarily Catholic, Jewish, Irish and Italian.  Heck, the state is home to the Irish ☘️ Riviera (aka Spring Lake).  There are few backwood areas except maybe the Pine Barrens (which is a combination of toxic waste dumped & parkland - which I have to say is an interesting combo).  NJ is heavily influenced by Philly & NYC. I think Katie will have an interesting cultural experience when she heads to WAWA or Shop Rite.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

If Katie is living in NJ I don’t see her staying in dresses only.  NJ is not TN by any stretch of the imagination, even in the most “rural” area.  NJ is primarily Catholic, Jewish, Irish and Italian.  Heck, the state is home to the Irish ☘️ Riviera (aka Spring Lake).  There are few backwood areas except maybe the Pine Barrens (which is a combination of toxic waste dumped & parkland - which I have to say is an interesting combo).  NJ is heavily influenced by Philly & NYC. I think Katie will have an interesting cultural experience when she heads to WAWA or Shop Rite.  

How will her experience be different than that  of Travis's sister who grew up in New Jersey in skirts? Or that of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish woman  in New Jersey? Or a New Jersey woman who chooses to be saris-only?

I grew up not far from the Bates, and now live in a mid-Atlantic state. I've never felt that women back home are skirts-only more than where I am now.  I know that excessive reading of FJ can cause folks to think that every other (white) woman in the South is a skirts-only quiverfull Bible thumping fundy, but that is no more the case than believing every other woman in Brooklyn is Hasidic.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 20
  • Thank You 1

I'll admit I was kinda "ok" about this relationship. Travis was looking cute, with the big white house, and black jeep...but as time has passed, I'm just not feeling him or his family anymore. I'm still fascinated that Katie even crossed paths with northern fundies in the first place. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Travis is just sooooo young. And their family is really close. Like the cousins and Travis and his sister all seem to be very involved together. Learning how to set healthy boundaries is part of becoming an adult IMO. 

I've known several people who get really invested in their teen kids' relationships. Like my cousins mom got really close with his high school girlfriend and she was part of all the family activities. That's what I'm reminded of with Travis and Katie. Nothing wrong with being on great terms with his family, but it just feels like a red flag for me that he's so entrenched in the nest. Katie has no idea what this boy will be like when he grows up. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

How will her experience be different than that  of Travis's sister who grew up in New Jersey in skirts? Or that of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish woman  in New Jersey? Or a New Jersey woman who chooses to be saris-only?

I grew up not far from the Bates, and now live in a mid-Atlantic state. I've never felt that women back home are skirts-only more than where I am now.  I know that excessive reading of FJ can cause folks to think that every other (white) woman in the South is a skirts-only quiverfull Bible thumping fundy, but that is no more the case than believing every other woman in Brooklyn is Hasidic.

Yep. There are plenty of fundies in NYC. The surrounding don’t always rub off on people.

• Upvote 5

@JermajestyDuggar Yep, I completely forgot about that. I guess I was so mainly focused on Christian fundies. I also forgot they all eventually cross paths at some point. Nathan and Ashley Slayer managed start a relationship despite her being from the Bronx.

10 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

@JermajestyDuggar Yep, I completely forgot about that. I guess I was so mainly focused on Christian fundies. I also forgot they all eventually cross paths at some point. Nathan and Ashley Slayer managed start a relationship despite her being from the Bronx.

I think Ashley loves being a fundie in the Bronx. It makes her feel different and special. 

• I Agree 10

On 11/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, Jackie3 said:

. . . .

Why would it matter what Travis' family does? Alyssa's family is skirts-only, but she's made her own decisions. Whitney's in-laws are skirts only, but there she is in jeans. I'm sure Katie will too. How strange to imply that her inlaws will control her clothes choices, why would they?

If Travis is still in his church's college and/or plans to work there after he graduates, he and his household will have to follow the church/college's rules on dress.

3 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Yes- HAC is in Crown Point, IN and is skirts only. I spent many Saturdays knocking doors on the southside of Chicago in below freezing temps in a skirt. (We were allowed to wear tights and boots.)

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 3

omg, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but they've got a photo of Travis and katie on the front page of the Vision Baptist College website: http://visionbaptistcollege.org/ Under student life

I think Travis' sister is also on the front page for the education link.

Travis' grandpa is the pastor and his dad is the president and the college even requires the volleyball team to wear skirts over leggings. I do not see Katie abandoning skirts in public for awhile. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

47 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

omg, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but they've got a photo of Travis and katie on the front page of the Vision Baptist College website: http://visionbaptistcollege.org/ Under student life

It’s so lame (and misleading) that they used a photo of someone who isn’t a student at the college on their website to promote “student life.”

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

I think Travis' sister is also on the front page for the education link.

Travis' grandpa is the pastor and his dad is the president and the college even requires the volleyball team to wear skirts over leggings. I do not see Katie abandoning skirts in public for awhile. 

I wonder if it ever occurred to Katie his family is using her image to further their college. To get more students to attend the college and make them more money. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if it ever occurred to Katie his family is using her image to further their college. To get more students to attend the college and make them more money. 

I'm assuming she's totally on board with it--she's marrying into a family business and is already doing what a good helpmeet does--help promote the family brand.

• Upvote 10

Katie’s own parents sold away her private moments, privacy and anonymity to put food on the table. She is used to being used in this way. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Oh boy, that "college" sounds like a whole lot of fun:

Screenshot_20211106_180526.thumb.jpg.788116f8a20e31be6e041171c5ca56f5.jpg

It is misleading to have Katie on the student life page, but then I think anyone sending their children to that place knows exactly a) what they're signing up for and b) who the Bates are. 

Did Katie attend Clown and do a hair course like Josie? 

• Upvote 7

Ok, so I was snooping around instagram because I was curious about the crowd the Clarks hang with. Looks like the young crowd likes to travel, eat out, and sing. Well we know what they mostly sing. What really shocked me, is that they use modern slang. Apparently Travis was out with peers and had so much fun...that it was considered "lit". They said it was LIT. Now,  I know not all fundies are isolated and sheltered. It's just weird hearing churchie people use, lit. I was lit last weekend and it wasn't from singing church songs😆

Edited by Tangy Bee
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

Found this on the “school” website. What would be the reasoning for prohibiting students from joining their church if they aren’t already members. 

10C0F363-60C7-4134-8995-FB4249007FFD.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

40 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Found this on the “school” website. What would be the reasoning for prohibiting students from joining their church if they aren’t already members. 

10C0F363-60C7-4134-8995-FB4249007FFD.jpeg

Maybe they are picky about who gets to join. Some of these churches have questionnaires and don’t let everyone join.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe they are picky about who gets to join. Some of these churches have questionnaires and don’t let everyone join.

That is really strange. So exclusionary. You can come to college here, but you can't join our church. If your home church is far away, too bad. They could at least let the kids apply, and join if they meet their "requirements."

• Upvote 7

That's so strange.  Are students even allowed to worship there while they attend college?

• Upvote 3

My guess is that when they say “members,” they mean voting members. The number of young people attending the college could potentially stage a coup if they were allowed full membership. They probably think it’s so obvious that they can attend services that they don’t bother to say so. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My guess is that when they say “members,” they mean voting members. The number of young people attending the college could potentially stage a coup if they were allowed full membership. They probably think it’s so obvious that they can attend services that they don’t bother to say so. 

Thanks, that is a good explanation. Still, it seems strange that a college that's all about church/Jesus/fellowship would actually preclude its young students from joining. It's a huge contradiction.

• Upvote 9

I assume it's partly a paperwork thing too. If they allowed students to be members, they would have to keep track of all of their information. And the likelihood of the students staying attending members following graduation is probably pretty slim. 

So either it would up their workload a lot or they would have a lot of non attending members. 

I attend my church and we aren't members. It's more because we are too lazy to become members than anything else lol. We both serve in our church too. You can't tell by attending a church who is a member and who is just attending. 

• Upvote 4

Here's my favourite bit from the school's website: 

In the FAQ's

Q : Are you accedited?

A: We believe God and the Word of God give us the authority and approval to train Christ’s workers in local church ministry work. We seek no other accreditation.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How very Christlike of them

17 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

That is really strange. So exclusionary. You can come to college here, but you can't join our church. If your home church is far away, too bad. They could at least let the kids apply, and join if they meet their "requirements."

Exactly my thought. No one is attending an unaccredited KJV only Bible college if they don’t already 100 percent agree with their beliefs. 

15 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

im learning so much from these responses. Churches have voting members? What do they vote on? I didn’t think these types were big on democracy. 

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic