IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Here's my favourite bit from the school's website: 

In the FAQ's

Q : Are you accedited?

A: We believe God and the Word of God give us the authority and approval to train Christ’s workers in local church ministry work. We seek no other accreditation.

OTOH, YOU can't attend OUR church cause you don't meet OUR accreditation.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

im learning so much from these responses. Churches have voting members? What do they vote on? I didn’t think these types were big on democracy. 

Yes, I know of a baptist church that votes in their new pastors, said pastors salary, the yearly budget, etc. 

I feel for most churches though, being a member is mostly in name. Some churches won't let you take communion if you aren't a member. 

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, artdecades said:

I'm learning so much from these responses. Churches have voting members? What do they vote on? I didn’t think these types were big on democracy. 

Unitarian chiming in here-- yes, if a church is "Congregationalist"--that's how we run our local congregations. We don't have a much of larger infrastructure for our denomination--no Pope (but we do have an Association with an elected President), no Archbishops, no Bishops. Each congregation choses their own minister, elects their officers, and approves the budget.

The opposite of "Congregationalist" church organizations are "Episcopal" organizations. [I know I'm being broad here and there are exceptions]

You can be a "friend" of the Congregation, but you can't vote on things. And voting Members are expected, to the best of their ability, to help support the church thru tithing.  We don't have a big bank vault in Rome to fall back on. : )

Other denominations that are Congregationalist in organization: Baptists  (especially Independent Baptists), Church of Christ, Congregationalists (obviously! : )), Quakers, most Jewish synagogues in the US, most mosques in the US.

Denominations that are Episcopal in organization: Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Church of England, Episcopal (obviously), Methodists (but not "Free" Methodist Churches)

EXCEPTION: There are lots of US fundy churches that were started by one person/family (for example: the Clark family, Gil Bates, Gwen Shamblin) and basically run by that family.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

These types of colleges are such a pain to deal with. I worked in higher education for a year several years ago. My job was helping mostly older adult students get their transcripts together. A lot of those schools aren’t accredited, so if someone went to a Bible college in their teens and then 15 years later want to further their education, a lot of those classes won’t count or transfer. More universities are trying to find ways to add value for these types of classes because no one wants to go back to square one, especially as an adult that is trying to balance school with jobs and families. It isn’t just Bible schools either. My art school wasn’t accredited. My husbands first associates degree in electronics wasn’t either. Honestly when we went to those schools neither one of us was even aware the classes wouldn’t transfer and our parents didn’t know to ask. 

• Upvote 16

51 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Unitarian chiming in here-- yes, if a church is "Congregationalist"--that's how we run our local congregations. We don't have a much of larger infrastructure for our denomination--no Pope (but we do have an Association with an elected President), no Archbishops, no Bishops. Each congregation choses their own minister, elects their officers, and approves the budget.

The opposite of "Congregationalist" church organizations are "Episcopal" organizations. [I know I'm being broad here and there are exceptions]

You can be a "friend" of the Congregation, but you can't vote on things. And voting Members are expected, to the best of their ability, to help support the church thru tithing.  We don't have a big bank vault in Rome to fall back on. : )

Other denominations that are Congregationalist in organization: Baptists  (especially Independent Baptists), Church of Christ, Congregationalists (obviously! : )), Quakers, most Jewish synagogues in the US, most mosques in the US.

Denominations that are Episcopal in organization: Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Church of England, Episcopal (obviously), Methodists (but not "Free" Methodist Churches)

EXCEPTION: There are lots of US fundy churches that were started by one person/family (for example: the Clark family, Gil Bates, Gwen Shamblin) and basically run by that family.

yep, the church I was in, was run by the congregation and they had meetings to vote on church business. I grew up in the church, moved away and then came back and on my first Sunday back, someone immediately suggested I be accepted as a member of the church becssue I grew up in it, instead of waiting a full year like most new attendees.

• Upvote 2

On 11/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, artdecades said:

Found this on the “school” website. What would be the reasoning for prohibiting students from joining their church if they aren’t already members. 

10C0F363-60C7-4134-8995-FB4249007FFD.jpeg

Other churches won't send their kids there if Solid Rock is going to poach them. If you join a church, you're expected to be there Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, whatever knocking doors time them have, possibly bus route and choir, etc. They would not be allowed to go home for breaks and summer b/c they would need to be at Solid Rock fulfilling their membership expectations. That last sentence is saying that those who live close enough are expected to do all those weekend activities at their home church. No slacking off on weekends just because you are not at the college!

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, browngrl said:

Here's my favourite bit from the school's website: 

In the FAQ's

Q : Are you accedited?

A: We believe God and the Word of God give us the authority and approval to train Christ’s workers in local church ministry work. We seek no other accreditation.

I also liked this:

1973179484_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-10um14_30_52.png.e3f5a9822de72f525afbaad0d5a224c8.png

So they have a max. of two classes each day?!? And if they are free to leave for work at 1 pm each day they apparently don't have to do independent study and/or homework every afternoon, at least not for long.

That seems like an awfully light workload to me.

I have studied at different types of tertiary education institutions and while I was occasionally free from obligations by lunch time, it was certainly not a regular thing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

I also liked this:

1973179484_Bildschirmfoto2021-11-10um14_30_52.png.e3f5a9822de72f525afbaad0d5a224c8.png

So they have a max. of two classes each day?!? And if they are free to leave for work at 1 pm each day they apparently don't have to do independent study and/or homework every afternoon, at least not for long.

That seems like an awfully light workload to me.

I have studied at different types of tertiary education institutions and while I was occasionally free from obligations by lunch time, it was certainly not a regular thing.

I teach at a large public uni in Ontario, Canada. The students typically have 5 classes, usually about 3 hr of lecture plus 1 hr tutorial each. So that's about 20 hr per week there, plus any labs. We are told to try to keep total work to about 10 hr/week/class but many profs assign more than that and student burnout is very real.

I'm not saying our schedule is ideal as many students are stressed out. But they're learning a lot more than at this "college," that's for sure.

• Upvote 9

You could have 3 1-hour lectures or 1-hour tutorials from 8:15 to 11:45 a day. That's 15 contact hours per week. Seems perfectly reasonable. I had around 12-15 contact hours per week when I was an undergrad. It seems sensible to schedule them all in the morning, so students can plan work or other commitments in the afternoon. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

During my undergrad, I generally took 4 courses (so 80% course load) and it was usually a 2 hour lecture plus 1 hour seminar, so 12 hours a week. I often adjusted my schedule to have classes a max of 4 days a week. Now there was a ton of homework on top of that but the actual class time was only 12 hours a week, 15 for a full course load, so the schedule doesn't seem that off (excpet I avoided morning classes like the plague)

22 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I teach at a large public uni in Ontario, Canada. The students typically have 5 classes, usually about 3 hr of lecture plus 1 hr tutorial each. So that's about 20 hr per week there, plus any labs. We are told to try to keep total work to about 10 hr/week/class but many profs assign more than that and student burnout is very real.

I'm not saying our schedule is ideal as many students are stressed out. But they're learning a lot more than at this "college," that's for sure.

Interesting, the university I went to was also in Ontario and as I said, it was 3 hours per week per course of class time plus homework. 

• Upvote 2

Can you even graduate from a 4 year university by only taking 15 units a session? Were these quarters? I graduated in the late 70s from University, and we were on the semester system. I think I took 15 units once or twice, but the bulk were 17 unit semesters, and I remember one 18 unit semester. Plus, we had to work at the hospital for clinicals.  I can’t imagine only having classes from 8-12. Some sessions I had morning classes and evening clinic, or classes until 10 PM and daytime clinic.

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Can you even graduate from a 4 year university by only taking 15 units a session? Were these quarters? I graduated in the late 70s from University, and we were on the semester system. I think I took 15 units once or twice, but the bulk were 17 unit semesters, and I remember one 18 unit semester. Plus, we had to work at the hospital for clinicals.  I can’t imagine only having classes from 8-12. Some sessions I had morning classes and evening clinic, or classes until 10 PM and daytime clinic.

Yes, if you need 120 credits to graduate: 15 a semester for 8 semesters.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

During my undergrad, I generally took 4 courses (so 80% course load) and it was usually a 2 hour lecture plus 1 hour seminar, so 12 hours a week. I often adjusted my schedule to have classes a max of 4 days a week. Now there was a ton of homework on top of that but the actual class time was only 12 hours a week, 15 for a full course load, so the schedule doesn't seem that off (excpet I avoided morning classes like the plague)

Interesting, the university I went to was also in Ontario and as I said, it was 3 hours per week per course of class time plus homework. 

I teach in science; it's probably different by faculty? I've taught one engineering course and they have a buttload of hours.

I remember switching majors from an art major to a social science major. My class hours were cut down big time. Being an art major was much more time consuming than other majors. 

• I Agree 1

21 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So my university did credit and half credit courses. A full credit took a whole year, a half credit a semester. You needed 20 credits for an honors degree and 15 for a regular degree. I took an 80% course load because I had small children but I also took a summer semester (maximum of 2 credits) to make up that missing credit, so still four years. 

20 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I teach in science; it's probably different by faculty? I've taught one engineering course and they have a buttload of hours.

Oh probably! I was an arts major and while we had a ton of reading material and huge essays, the actual class time was 3 hours a week and higher level English classes have less lectures and longer seminars. I had one that was just a 3 hour tutorial every week. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

So my university did credit and half credit courses. A full credit took a whole year, a half credit a semester. You needed 20 credits for an honors degree and 15 for a regular degree. I took an 80% course load because I had small children but I also took a summer semester (maximum of 2 credits) to make up that missing credit, so still four years. 

Oh probably! I was an arts major and while we had a ton of reading material and huge essays, the actual class time was 3 hours a week and higher level English classes have less lectures and longer seminars. I had one that was just a 3 hour tutorial every week. 

I have a minor in English. Good memories doing all that reading!

• Upvote 1

I want to ask you all about something, is it normal for couple to follow each other location through phone ?

I kinda feel that's too much 😅, trust issues? over control? or totally normal? I have never ever done that.  

I was kinda surprised to know that K & T do that

Edited by Dbm
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dbm said:

I want to ask you all about something, is it normal for couple to follow each other location through phone ?

I kinda feel that's too much 😅, trust issues? over control? or totally normal? I have never ever done that.  

I think it depends. I believe my husband and I have the option on ON, but as far as I am concerned I never look. We talk and we trust. He might look to see how far I am when I commute to save us the call- I don’t know. 
I know his parents do it with my brother in law and partner. I don’t participate. Don’t know about my husband though. I think that’s definitely a step to far and generally don’t see the need. And definitely not with someone I don’t live with?
I do realise though that there are definitely areas and living situations where it might make sense. Stranding in the countryside, being out alone (even though I think it’s a shame that women feel the need for this)…. but I don’t see how this relates to T&K. 

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think it depends. I believe my husband and I have the option on ON, but as far as I am concerned I never look. We talk and we trust. He might look to see how far I am when I commute to save us the call- I don’t know. 
I know his parents do it with my brother in law and partner. I don’t participate. Don’t know about my husband though. I think that’s definitely a step to far and generally don’t see the need. And definitely not with someone I don’t live with?
I do realise though that there are definitely areas and living situations where it might make sense. Stranding in the countryside, being out alone (even though I think it’s a shame that women feel the need for this)…. but I don’t see how this relates to T&K. 

okay, thank you for answering 

I was watching an episode, and both him and mama b mentioned that katie casually checks his location, which sounded strange to me 😅.  

it was even before the engagement.

Edited by Dbm
  • Upvote 4

I think its not a bad idea for safety's sake- if that is what the couple is using it for. But if it's some "accountability" thing then that's a pile of 💩. That feels like it would fall in the same category of not being alone with the opposite sex. Like temptation is just an unknown location away. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I kinda feel that's too much [emoji28], trust issues? over control? or totally normal? I have never ever done that.  

My husband and I have it on each other. I use it to see when he leaves work so I know when to start dinner. I also have it on a few friends and they me. I always tell one of the girls that if she ends up in a ditch somewhere I’m going to know about it. Personally I think it’s good from a safety perspective but not an I don’t trust you perspective
  • Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

My husband and I have it on each other. I use it to see when he leaves work so I know when to start dinner. I also have it on a few friends and they me. I always tell one of the girls that if she ends up in a ditch somewhere I’m going to know about it. Personally I think it’s good from a safety perspective but not an I don’t trust you perspective

that's also a good point, especially that they mention that he visit her a lot and sometimes surprise her, his location can help her know about those visits.

thank you for answering  

24 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I think its not a bad idea for safety's sake- if that is what the couple is using it for. But if it's some "accountability" thing then that's a pile of 💩. That feels like it would fall in the same category of not being alone with the opposite sex. Like temptation is just an unknown location away. 

honestly i have noticed that they have problem with just trusting others, I'm sure that they don't just allow all the going out with a boyfriend without knowing the guy well first, so why do the chaperone thing and all, its just too much. 

12 hours ago, Dbm said:

Oh, they're probably doing it just for fun. "Oh, you're at the yogurt shop? Wish I could be there, too." "Oh, you're at your sisters? Tell her I say hi."  That sort of thing.

I doubt Katie's checking to make sure he doesn't visit a strip club. And if Travis wanted to visit a strip club, he could just leave his phone at home. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

That’s what I meant with different circumstances than mine. I don’t use it for safety reasons ever, and I wouldn’t be safer because they would find me too late I guess. But I live in a society/bubble where I don’t look over my shoulder leaving a bar or club (or my student job a long time ago) at 2am and take public transport to go home. I also refuse the let myself be threatened by the vague idea because realistically the chance to end up being held captured several days is pretty slim, so there would be no one rescuing me in time if anything ever where to happen. But that’s a very privileged situation and I know for many many people it’s a very real much more realistic possibility to get in danger. But I also wouldn’t know if some of my friends go out to party or dinner necessarily much less track them while they do- only if specifically asked for safety reasons which has never occurred.
Therefore the only position tracking I am confronted with are convenience and jealousy. And I strictly refuse to be available and searchable to people all the time. I will call/text back if I can and want. I don’t know why I feel so strongly about it, but being this available to people just because rubs me the wrong way. It’s nobodies business. And I am not one of those tin foil helmet nutjobs (at least I hope so). I have no general problem with cctv or other situations where my personal rights to my picture/data is reduced for the greater good. I can also accept measures I might personally be uncomfortable with if the argument is good/mine isn’t better and a majority supports it.

So I find it hella weird, but I try not be too judgy because obviously I don’t know the real background and personal experiences to such decisions.

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic