IGNORED

Katie & Travis 2: Here Comes Yet Another Bates Young Bride

nelliebelle1197

47 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

What in the world with these over the top everything? Flying to a bachelorette party. All these people seem to do is travel for endless weddings and proposals and now bachelorette parties. How much does UP pay these people?! I keep saying it but living this jet-setting, instagram posting, influencer lifestyle is kinda the opposite of living modestly. Nothing about any of these groups is humble or modest. 

I don't disagree with you on the ridiculousness of everything they do with the over the top proposals and the huge amount of travel, but flying to a bachelorette party is definitely not limited to fundies attempting to be influencers. The last several weddings I've been in (and one upcoming) all included bachelorette weekends in touristy places far from where the bride and/or anyone in the bridal party lives. It seems to be the norm these days, and I personally hate it. I don't live near most of of my high school or college friends, so I already have to travel for the wedding, plus paying for the dress/shoes/hair/makeup etc. I'm glad the upcoming wedding will probably be the last one I'm in. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

58 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I don't disagree with you on the ridiculousness of everything they do with the over the top proposals and the huge amount of travel, but flying to a bachelorette party is definitely not limited to fundies attempting to be influencers. The last several weddings I've been in (and one upcoming) all included bachelorette weekends in touristy places far from where the bride and/or anyone in the bridal party lives. It seems to be the norm these days, and I personally hate it. I don't live near most of of my high school or college friends, so I already have to travel for the wedding, plus paying for the dress/shoes/hair/makeup etc. I'm glad the upcoming wedding will probably be the last one I'm in. 

Oh I totally get that. My oldest is in the thick of showers and weddings, and it's costing her a small fortune. For me its the fact that with 19 kids this is like a full time job for them, all the traveling and ceremonies and proposals. It goes against the grain of the humble life they try to portray. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I got married  over 10 years ago and destination showers were already a thing. Mine was in the major city near where I lived but most of the bridal party travelled for it. My MOH rented a huge hotel suite. 

• Upvote 3

I got married in 2009 and I didn’t have a destination shower or bachelorette party. I’m pretty low key. My husband went to Vegas for his bachelor party. But his friends live all over the US so they were going to have to travel anyway. So they picked Vegas. They were all in their mid 30s so it’s not like they partied their asses off or anything. They got all of that out of their systems in their 20s.

• Upvote 3

party number 3 ? that's kind of too much, they make it seem like Katie is marrying a prince or something 😅

Spoiler

250796621_340237261194696_5768438123941511637_n.jpg.de798ba67283e12b1b3a8f67700bd424.jpg

Spoiler

251654969_2778380039118828_2038627806329929044_n.jpg.d174ed0f8da2e880e22add2760937d5b.jpg

Spoiler

251692720_313882413882923_4211505917139479781_n.jpg.bf38b886d417ff29761aede778188e7f.jpg

Spoiler

251204506_311028747168936_6369630037364535935_n.jpg.69897d4d15c947a119622ca6d89ccee4.jpg

and the after math , look at the floor 

Spoiler

251614487_275035104537285_5168860964463970916_n.jpg.a8d08249a811680420d1fde738b2669d.jpg

Spoiler

252614029_385783603231719_406662213167251109_n.jpg.b0fc31dd051cc7794f0757b84ef8a758.jpg

Edited by Dbm
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Dbm said:

party number 3 ? that's kind of too much, they make it seem like Katie is marrying a prince or something 😅

Hide contents

250796621_340237261194696_5768438123941511637_n.jpg.de798ba67283e12b1b3a8f67700bd424.jpg

Hide contents

251654969_2778380039118828_2038627806329929044_n.jpg.d174ed0f8da2e880e22add2760937d5b.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

251692720_313882413882923_4211505917139479781_n.jpg.bf38b886d417ff29761aede778188e7f.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

251204506_311028747168936_6369630037364535935_n.jpg.69897d4d15c947a119622ca6d89ccee4.jpg

and the after math , look at the floor 

Reveal hidden contents

251614487_275035104537285_5168860964463970916_n.jpg.a8d08249a811680420d1fde738b2669d.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

252614029_385783603231719_406662213167251109_n.jpg.b0fc31dd051cc7794f0757b84ef8a758.jpg

A bridal shower for each side of the family and a bachelorette with your bridal party/closest friends is normal where I am from. I actually did the same thing as Katie for my bachelorette, rented a hotel suite and had a fancy slumber party with my besties. We had a chocolate fountain (ok and a ton of shots).

• Upvote 8

22 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

A bridal shower for each side of the family and a bachelorette with your bridal party/closest friends is normal where I am from. I actually did the same thing as Katie for my bachelorette, rented a hotel suite and had a fancy slumber party with my besties. We had a chocolate fountain (ok and a ton of shots).

Honestly it all depends on the Economic status of the person. In my hometown, this sort of thing would be extremely rare. Sure you can have multiple parties. But they are in someone’s home or a local bar. There wouldn’t be this kind of traveling that’s for sure. It’s just not affordable to a lot of people in the US. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Honestly it all depends on the Economic status of the person. In my hometown, this sort of thing would be extremely rare. Sure you can have multiple parties. But they are in someone’s home or a local bar. There wouldn’t be this kind of traveling that’s for sure. It’s just not affordable to a lot of people in the US. 

Oh the travelling is definitely outside the norm. But each family hosting a shower in their home area and then a bachelorette doesn't seem unusual to me and for the NJ shower, they did combine it with Nathan's wedding. The travel is an extra element, defintitely, but the fact that she got two showers, one hosted by each side, and a bachelorette with her bridal party doesn't seem too extravagant or extra. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I like to say we had a destination wedding because we sort of unexpectedly moved halfway across the country after booking it. Everyone had to travel back and it was inconvenient for all, just to enjoy the beautiful suburban bliss of Illinois.

• Haha 10

Bridal showers aren’t a thing here at all. Bachelorette parties are somewhat common, with varying degrees of fancy ness/cost/effort involved (typically some way of going out or spending the day together having a good time). I’ve never been to a destination bachelorette party, but they do exist.

I didn’t do any of that for my own wedding. We just wanted to get married, had a courthouse wedding and dinner with parents and siblings, and that was that. I’m even somewhat relieved we never had to throw that barbecue/garden party we said we would, due to COVID getting in the way. 😇

If people are happy to have several bridal showers, bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners and all kinds of other shenanigans, go for it! Just not my cup of tea. But then, again, getting married was not the be all and end all of my existence. For fundie girls, it’s the first and only time in their lives they get to be the center of attention. After that it’s just household chores and kid after kid, so I get why they really want to go “all in” in these few weeks and months leading up to their wedding.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

On 11/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, OHFL2009 said:

Yeah, this is a current trend that kind of makes my skin crawl. It's a lot to ask of your friends/family to buy airline tickets, lodging, food & "fun" to party for your bachelorette. 

We did it for my niece - although she isn't a partier & we fortunately didn't fly. But we traveled 5 hours north, stayed at an Air bnb, ate out, went out, went on a "cruise" on the lake and went kayaking on Saturday. Not bad things to do, but when they're required and all at once, the crap adds up. It cost me over $700 for that weekend, and I bought nothing other than necessities. Since she doesn't drink, we didn't do a lot of that - thankfully. I can't imagine a weekend bill that included "partying". 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Curious to what goes on at a "fundie" bridal getaway. Not much sex prep talk with your younger sister tagging along. But I guess she has plenty of married sisters to talk to in private at some point. Hope they're having a good time laughing, talking, and taking instagram pictures 🙄

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Curious to what goes on at a "fundie" bridal getaway. Not much sex prep talk with your younger sister tagging along. But I guess she has plenty of married sisters to talk to in private at some point. Hope they're having a good time laughing, talking, and taking instagram pictures 🙄

I also wonder if any of the sisters are jealous. I can’t help but assume there’s some jealousy in such a big family.

• I Agree 4

I had 3 showers and a Bachelorette party(local bar), but aside from the family showers (his/mine), the groups didn’t mix. As an example, I had a work shower, but none of those people attended other pre-wedding events. I also thought there was another girls’ get away for Katie in TN, but now I remember it was canceled, right? Also, for me, it’s the extravagance of the events (mainly travel), but if the events are being filmed that might be part of it. They may not drink, but they make up for it with all the restaurant meals and mani/pedis. If I were KJ, I would literally weigh 500 lbs. I just think that because they never had the money when they were growing up, they can’t get enough of what they consider entertainment. It’s like beyond eating in restaurants, they can’t think of anything else to do. How about visiting a museum, going on a bike ride, a hike, ocean kayaking,  doing a common read beyond the Bible, a good card game, or for one dinner meal, pick a theme and everyone help prepare the meal?  Anything other than restaurant food and hair/makeup/nails. It’s all so rote and boring X19. They are rote and boring. 

ETA- there were also the trips to shop for the dress and to pick up the dress, that involved travel for groups of Bateses, right? Followed by Katie and Alyssa jetting off to pick up freebies from TP in Miami- 

Also, the off white dress that Katie was wearing to dinner (yesterday), looked like a match to a dress that Lexi Webster was recently photographed wearing. Wonder if it was gifted to Katie from TP?

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I’m such a low key person who hates attention on my physical appearance. My family and friends hounded me to let them go with me wedding dress shopping. I relented and was miserable. I hated everything I tried on and was so embarrassed by all the attention. I went shopping by myself later on and found my dress pretty quickly. I bet there are people like that in the Bates family that are pushed into these events even though they hate it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

@JermajestyDuggarYes this is probably true. Erin's wedding was NOTHING like her last 4 sisters. Alyssa married into another weird, politically prominent family.Tori wasn't afraid to show off her curves in her wedding dress. Michael had no issues doing long front hugging during courtship. Carlin was the 1st to dance with her dad at her reception AND let's not forget the butt grab at Josie's reception. I believe deep down...others wished their husbands had done the same🤣🤣but seriously I would have been mortified but still admired Kelton from having the balls to do that in front of an ENTIRE fundie crowd...which included a pastor. The only thing Katie has to be jealous about is not getting to snuggle with her dude...unless they snuck in hugs on these multiple plane trips.

• Upvote 3

On 10/31/2021 at 10:28 AM, Melbelle said:

My southern self thinks that looks like chicken casserole, some kind of stuffing, green beans with ham, mac & cheese, and corn.  That a pretty traditional meat and three meal that one would serve when friends or family come over.  I no longer live in the south and I would serve that for friends because they get a kick out of the novelty of my southern cooking.  I agree, it's not the healthiest spread of vegetables, but technically there are two veggies and possibly more in the stuffing or the chicken casserole.  (In my family we put squash/zucchini and onions in our chicken casserole.)  Is she in TN or are they in PA and family is visiting?  Maybe they made what they consider a "fancy" homemade meal since they're entertaining?  

Oh If I know my friend is Southern, as a Yankee, I would expect a Southern spread. It's def a novelty for us but how many times can you eat kale caeser salad in a week lol we need 'foreign' food too :)

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Yeah, this is a current trend that kind of makes my skin crawl. It's a lot to ask of your friends/family to buy airline tickets, lodging, food & "fun" to party for your bachelorette. 

We did it for my niece - although she isn't a partier & we fortunately didn't fly. But we traveled 5 hours north, stayed at an Air bnb, ate out, went out, went on a "cruise" on the lake and went kayaking on Saturday. Not bad things to do, but when they're required and all at once, the crap adds up. It cost me over $700 for that weekend, and I bought nothing other than necessities. Since she doesn't drink, we didn't do a lot of that - thankfully. I can't imagine a weekend bill that included "partying". 

It seems so inconsiderate.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Question: I really am not sure what people do during bridal shower in the US (or in the Western part of the world, in general). I've heard about gifts and opening it, but then what?

In my country, a bridal or baby shower means elderly family members will pour fragrant 7 kind of flowers infused water (the water needs to come from 7 different sources) on me, aside from other complicated rituals. I'm about to get married next weekend but my parents decided to skip the bridal shower due to the pandemic, tho.

(Also, Katies is younger than Josie, right? Why do I feel she looks much older than Josie?)

• Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, arareyeah said:

Question: I really am not sure what people do during bridal shower in the US (or in the Western part of the world, in general). I've heard about gifts and opening it, but then what?

In my country, a bridal or baby shower means elderly family members will pour fragrant 7 kind of flowers infused water (the water needs to come from 7 different sources) on me, aside from other complicated rituals. I'm about to get married next weekend but my parents decided to skip the bridal shower due to the pandemic, tho.

(Also, Katies is younger than Josie, right? Why do I feel she looks much older than Josie?)

Wedding showers here typically also have lots of games :) like how well do you know the bride, bridal bingo, etc, and there are little prizes that the youngest kids usually pass out. 

Carlin posted a video of their pottery outing… why is it that none of them wear their masks properly. 🙃 

I assume the only reason they were wearing them to begin with was because the business required it. 

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, arareyeah said:

In my social circle, bridal showers usually involve opening gifts and some silly party games, like making wedding dresses out of toilet paper, or seeing who can answer the most random trivia questions about the bride and groom. There's usually some food/cake/drinks. Showers are usually a few hours long and include friends and female family members of the bride, and female family members of the groom. The gifts are more useful items off the couple's registry. 

A bachelorette party, on the other hand, is usually just close friends of the bride (often the bridesmaids and maybe a couple other friends) and it's more about going out and having a good time. It's usually at least most of a day, if not a whole weekend, and involves things like getting nails done, going out for a nice dinner, going to a bar or a show, sometimes going to a male strip club or hiring male dancers. Gifts at a bachelorette party are usually more along the lines of lingerie or other things you might rather not open in front of your grandma or young nieces. 

But it also varies in different areas of the US and among different types of people. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

46 minutes ago, arareyeah said:

It depends on the bride, her family, socio-economic class, religious background, and interests.

Most of my friends never bothered as none of us really need anything, as they'd all been buying houses and living with their spouses prior to the wedding, and the traditional games are kinda cheesy and not too fun unless you're drinking. 

• Upvote 7

In my world, bridal showers vary , depending on the bride. I think that's actually the case overall. It also depends on the budget & "showiness" of the bride. My youngest niece is really low key and has a small circle, so it was immediate family & her favorite foods & just hanging out in her sister-in-law's back yard opening gifts & doing a few cheesie shower games. My oldest niece's was huge as she's a social butterfly and was at a winery. While there were some cheesie games, it also included a winery tour & a tour of the wine room with tasting. I was at one for a cousin's fiance that was so over the top - get all dressed up, lunch at an expensive downtown restaurant, gifts done on the patio of said restaurant overlooking the lake, games out on "the lawn" - it was just so....much. 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic