IGNORED

William & Kate

viii

On 7/2/2022 at 12:48 AM, rosamundi said:

This is an apprentice position and the NMW for apprentices varies from  £4.81 an hour up to £9.50 an hour depending on the age of the apprentice and if they're in the first year of their apprenticeship or not. The salary adjustment for the accommodation can't take the employee's pay below the appropriate NMW.

The job is at Windsor Castle which is outside London, so a lower minimum wage applies.

• Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

The job is at Windsor Castle which is outside London, so a lower minimum wage applies.

You are confusing two separate things. The National Minimum Wage is set by statute and is the legal minimum you can pay an employee. It is not affected by geography. Deductions for bed and board cannot take an employee below the legal minimum wage for their age.

The London Living Wage is a voluntary scheme which recognises the higher cost of living in London. It is not set by statute and has no legal force.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

There are plenty indeed! One difference, though:

Harry and Meghan used jets that friends and businesspeople voluntarily lent to them.

Wills and Kate used jets paid for by the British public, who had no choice in the matter. They take the working public's money--money earned by hardworking people with families--and use it to pollute the environment under the guise of "work."

Oh really, Harry & Meghan‘s tour to Australia was not paid for by the public? That‘s news to me.

Yeah, poor Brits really have no choice. They can‘t vote & probably get thrown in the tower by just a slight movement of Kate‘s index finger if their bow is not deep or their curtsy not graceful enough. That‘s if she isn‘t too busy planning her next pollution extravaganza  while William is making some starving servant in chains finding a „work“ excuse to cover it up.

I got the impression that Brits are a lot more discontent with Boris Johnson & other politicians than they are with their royal family these days. If that changes, they can abolish the monarchy. Last time I checked, it wasn‘t absolute. Don‘t think it would be a smart move but neither was Brexit in my humble opinion which of course does not matter because I‘m not a British citizen.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Harry and Meghan used jets that friends and businesspeople voluntarily lent to them.

Amazeballs!!!!!!!   You've done it again Jackie3!  Your infinite knowledge of everything is astounding!  I think I love you! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

So in fact they did not give a thought to it and it does not matter at all if they constantly used climate decimating private transport to have jolly holidays as long as they borrowed other peoples? 

Troll  “logic” and excuse making is truly a marvel. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Thank You 1

I think I can solve the problem for the Royals. At least when they're traveling around England, Scotland, and Wales. They can all go on pilgrimage. You know, on foot. There are many lovely public walking paths and ancient trackways they can take between London and wherever they need to be. All they need to do is work out how many days it will take to get to their destination, make their reservations at old inns along the way, and grab their walking sticks. 

*waits with bated breath for our resident troll to come up with some sort of environmental objection to even this form of transportation. 🙄

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Loveday said:

I think I can solve the problem for the Royals. At least when they're traveling around England, Scotland, and Wales. They can all go on pilgrimage. You know, on foot. There are many lovely public walking paths and ancient trackways they can take between London and wherever they need to be. All they need to do is work out how many days it will take to get to their destination, make their reservations at old inns along the way, and grab their walking sticks. 

*waits with bated breath for our resident troll to come up with some sort of environmental objection to even this form of transportation. 🙄

The environmental impact will be ignored and it will spin back to “below minimum wage!!11!!” and “rich people who have more than one house!!11!!” and cover at least once that she spends time with her children on the weekends and doesn’t keep others from spending time with their children because she “doesn’t travel for work!!11!!” or use “NANNIESsssss!!11!!11!!” 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Loveday said:

One of the thing I love most about England is its beautiful walking paths, especially in the country. 

It would help if they traveled like the Queen, on the Royal Train. They've spent enough to renovate it over the years--use it!

• Move Along 1

They used to travel on the Royal Yacht  Britannia quite a bit before it was done away with.Plans for another ship are progressing but at halting pace. 

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

It would help if they traveled like the Queen, on the Royal Train. 

They have done that (Scotland 2020) and guess what, got criticized for it. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

They used to travel on the Royal Yacht  Britannia quite a bit before it was done away with.Plans for another ship are progressing but at halting pace. 

The estimated cost of their new superyacht is--250 million pounds (though some expect the final cost to be more than twice that).

Superyachts emit about 7,500 ton of carbon dioxide a year. The average car emits about 5 tons a year.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

They have done that (Scotland 2020) and guess what, got criticized for it. 

I thought they got criticized for traveling during the height of the pandemic, not because they rode the train. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

I thought the royal family refused a royal ship? 

They did. It's one of those ideas that refuses to die, and seems to be more of a "The UK government wants a ship for, um, reasons*, but if we had a Government Yacht then everyone would take the piss, but if we call it a Royal Yacht then we can borrow it and we can hide the running costs in either the Royal Navy's budget or the Sovereign Grant."

I'm surprised the particular MP who's obsessed with the idea hasn't popped up with it recently as a distraction from the current state of the government, he usually does.

* mostly ego-related, as far as I can tell.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, viii said:

I thought they got criticized for traveling during the height of the pandemic, not because they rode the train. 

They did but also for the cost of it because the royal train isn‘t cheap either. I guess my point is that anyone in such a public position (and this applies to Harry & Meghan as well) will always face criticism for literally everything they do from one side or another. And no, their actions should not go down unquestioned. The working royals have publicly funded jobs after all. But as long as they are not fired from those jobs, they will need to use some form of transportation.

I think they have to deal with it by making decisions that won‘t please everyone and that‘s why I‘m not surprised they don‘t instantly change their ways the next day after an unfavourable headline. The only way to not get any criticism would be to vanish completely which is probably not an option for them.

I think they need to adapt to changing times. But in some cases when they try, they‘re labelled hypocrites for it. Their best strategy is listening, identifying reasonable objections to make adjustments accordingly and ignoring the rest.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

They traveled during Covid, flaunting the rules everyone else had to follow. It had nothing to do with the train.

https://www.newsweek.com/prince-william-kate-middleton-criticized-uk-tour-scotland-wales-amid-covid-rules-1553049

They did not break the rules though because passing the border for work was allowed at that point. It will come down to two things:

1) You don‘t consider their „work“ work. 

and

2) People might still think they shouldn‘t have done it even though it was legal. The latter is a debate as to whether you consider their visits to thank healthcare workers a valuable contribution or not. We all know your position on this, so no need to cite any old biographies or articles this time. 😉

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Woah. Hadn’t looked at the Royal threads in a bit. I genuinely don’t understand why so many people are such staunch supporters of Kate/William and absolutely hate Meghan/Harry. OR will defend Harry/Meghan to the death and despise Will/Kate. Obviously not just on this forum - but on any discussion, anywhere.

Both couples are obscenely rich, privileged and pretty and are going through a very messy and public falling out. It’s extremely interesting to speculate on the dynamics and background of all of that- especially given the incredibly weird and entrenched structure of family /public roles they have - and take sides of team Royal or Team Harry and Meghan. But the INTENSITY is really weird, to me.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

Fact is William Kate and the rest can’t and won’t answer back to defend themselves and The Sussex’s take advantage of this to say basically whatever they want, going to the media and writing to say how wronged they were And people who don’t really follow the BRF only hear that.The half lie half truth, humble brag pretense  …It’s vengeful underhanded and nasty. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I think they need to adapt to changing times. But in some cases when they try, they‘re labelled hypocrites for it.

They aren't labeled hypocrites for adapting to changing times. They are labeled hypocrites for saying one thing and doing another.

The working royals have publicly funded jobs after all.

Lots of people had publically funded jobs. Only the essential workers kept traveling/working during Covid. Was it essential that they travel around to thank frontline workers? A phone call would've done fine in a public health emergency. After all, by traveling with their entourage, they were actually increasing the risk for those frontline workers.

I guess my point is that anyone in such a public position (and this applies to Harry & Meghan as well) will always face criticism for literally everything they do from one side or another. 

Sure, people will criticize them for every random thing. This certainly happens with H&M. Some of those criticisms are random, some are quite valid. I wouldn't dump them all in the same group.

2 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I genuinely don’t understand why so many people are such staunch supporters of Kate/William and absolutely hate Meghan/Harry. OR will defend Harry/Meghan to the death and despise Will/Kate.

I know! I feel the same way. I can clearly see that Harry and Meghan have been hypocritical (like about climate change) and I'm not sure I'd even like to have lunch with them (they haven't asked).

But the one-sided hate against them is so silly, false and one-sided. It's clearly coming from somewhere else. There are bigger villains in this world. You don't have to look far to find someone doing something worse than breaking a Spotify contract.

OTOH, Kate and Wills are an attractive couple with cute kids. They seem harmless enough. But their passivity and willingness to live off the public dime is unappealing. Kate, in particular, doesn't seem to bring much to the table, and her own eagle-eyed ambition went under the pubic radar, apparently.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Woah. Hadn’t looked at the Royal threads in a bit. I genuinely don’t understand why so many people are such staunch supporters of Kate/William and absolutely hate Meghan/Harry. OR will defend Harry/Meghan to the death and despise Will/Kate. Obviously not just on this forum - but on any discussion, anywhere.

Both couples are obscenely rich, privileged and pretty and are going through a very messy and public falling out. It’s extremely interesting to speculate on the dynamics and background of all of that- especially given the incredibly weird and entrenched structure of family /public roles they have - and take sides of team Royal or Team Harry and Meghan. But the INTENSITY is really weird, to me.

Meghan reminds me of a former friend who was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Same toxic behavior. Same constant ghosting of people. Same claiming to be the victim of nefarious forces. Same, according to sources who spoke to both Tina Brown for the Palace Papers and to Tom Bower for Revenge, fear of abandonment which makes her emotionally manipulate people. There is more than enough evidence from enough sources that she bullies people and is entitled. And she has lied publicly almost as much as Donald Trump--at least the majority didn't swallow everything he said as the unquestionable truth. Plus, while lying about virtually everything about her own life, she and Harry have the audacity to (pretend to) campaign against "disinformation". 

And Meghan and Harry seems determined to burn down the monarchy over their own perceived slights. Not out of a conviction of the superiority of republicanism which people might be able to respect. But because they didn't get their own way. 

• Upvote 3

Ambition to what exactly?  Run for office? Steal the throne? Kate is doing what is expected of a future Queen consort and doing it appropriately according to people who aren’t bound and determined to find fault and make Her SIL look superior at at any cost. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Ambition to what exactly?  Run for office? Steal the throne? Kate is doing what is expected of a future Queen consort and doing it appropriately according to people who aren’t bound and determined to find fault and make Her SIL look superior at at any cost. 

I think that was a reference to the accusations that she planned her entire life around trapping William. I find that incredibly misogynistic. Notice no one has ever accused Mark Phillips, Tim Laurence, Prince Philip, Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Edo Mapelli-Mozzi or Jack Brooksbank of that. But every woman who married into the family except Diana has been accused of it. And Diana's family was accused of it (probably the only fair accusation along with Louis Mountbatten's machinations to make Philip's marriage to Elizabeth happen). I also think it makes the men in question look like dolts with no actual ability to manage their lives or judge people's motives and I suspect that is not the case at all. 

In reference to Kate now, it's also the misogynistic idea that supporting your spouse and/or raising your children are not valid choices for women and there must be a greater ambition. As well, it's symptomatic of the capitalist notion that only paid work is valuable. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

As I said before William was surrounded by women more beautiful and Aristocratic  than Catherine Middleton and I bet most of them weren’t going to complain about his Royal crackers in their beds. Obviously he saw something in her that was deeper and made him happier and presumably he saw a women who was able and willing take on the difficult and archaic life, work of a senior Royal. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I know! I feel the same way. I can clearly see that Harry and Meghan have been hypocritical (like about climate change) and I'm not sure I'd even like to have lunch with them (they haven't asked).

You‘re kidding, right? Do you really not get that she meant you? Are you trying to fool us or yourself?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic