IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 5: Oprah, Racism, and Gossip! Oh My!

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, viii said:

Yet when Meghan refused to stand for Jessica Mulroney doing that to her, she was criticized. 

I don’t get your argument. I said, I doubt anyone would love to be paraded as the life example of “not racist”. That’s obvious also true for Meghan? I don’t think anyone blamed her for not wanting to defend Jessica? People questioned how she could stay friends with her, after her comments came to light. I am actually not quite sure what went down there? Are they still friends? I cannot recall any reaction of Meghan to the whole drama. If she wants to stay her friend, after being extremely outspoken about the issue of racism, that’s her decision. They might have talked in private about it or not, I wouldn’t know. I think they had/have a genuine friendship- you know spendings time together regularly, knowing the kids and partner, being invited to game night or just pop round for a coffee. That’s definitely more than we can say about the guy from the article. So, if Meghan didn’t want to put herself out there for a real friend, why would this guy do it?

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think anyone blamed her for not wanting to defend Jessica? 

There's a poster here who talked about how Meghan drops friends and she referenced Jessica. There's plenty of people who blame Meghan for ending that friendship, as bizarre as it is. 

• Upvote 4

That's an interesting (but unsurprising) statement considering how many life long friends came out in defense of her. 

However, I do think this is something that isn't a unique situation to Meghan alone. It would be interesting to see how many celebrities retained friendships. It seems like it's not always the easiest industry to be a part of, and it impacts your life in so many ways, including friendships. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 8

Who? A couple of Co stars ? They are not going to say publicly if she is an evil conniving Bitch are they? Its politic  say the right words come to her defense right now as After her whine and pity party on Oprah they won’t to be labeled as racist or bullies. And life long friends is probably stretching it some.

26 minutes ago, viii said:

That's an interesting (but unsurprising) statement considering how many life long friends came out in defense of her. 

However, I do think this is something that isn't a unique situation to Meghan alone. It would be interesting to see how many celebrities retained friendships. It seems like it's not always the easiest industry to be a part of, and it impacts your life in so many ways, including friendships. 

• Eyeroll 3

No, there are friends from high school and university that have spoken out for her, and have remained in close contact with Meghan. Guess she doesn't drop everyone ?

An article from Meghan's friend. They have been friends for 22 years and went to university together. I'd kind of consider that life long. https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-friend-defends-her-amid-bullying-allegations/

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 9

Even bullies and difficult people can have friends. Birds of a feather as they say.  Does not make you a nice or good person or one that does not drive more people away than they stick with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1

21 hours ago, viii said:

There's a poster here who talked about how Meghan drops friends and she referenced Jessica. There's plenty of people who blame Meghan for ending that friendship, as bizarre as it is. 

I think that’s one of the situations where she was dammed either way. If she dropped her, she goes through friends like other people through socks, if she continued the friendship she is a hypocrite. I am actually not sure if they are still friends or not.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Even bullies and difficult people can have friends. Birds of a feather as they say.  Does not make you a nice or good person or one that does not drive more people away than they stick with. 

i think you should find a hobby.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 9

On 3/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, viii said:

If you're going to hate a stranger without a good reason, you should at least be able to spell their name correctly. ?‍♀️

Obviously the unnecessary H in her name is one of the reasons.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I'm sure you do have some friends. 

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I think that’s one of the situations where she was dammed either way. If she dropped her, she goes through friends like other people through socks, if she continued the friendship she is a hypocrite. I am actually not sure if they are still friends or not.

Very true. I'm leaning towards that the friendship is probably on hold, given everything that happened. It's hard seeing good friends "break up" but man, if I was Meghan, I'd be so furious with Jessica. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Obviously the unnecessary H in her name is one of the reasons.

Huh? What are talking about?

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

i think you should find a hobby.

To be fair I think that about myself every time I comment on fundies.  Why do I know some woman named Jill in Ohio wears too much eyeliner or that Kelly Bates made her eldest daughter toilet train her eleventy younger siblings?  Or that Steve Maxwell finds meat in burritos unnecessary?  I don't know these people!

I justify it by telling myself that gossip and judgy, bitchy comments have been a human thing since we first developed speech and snarking on strangers is kinder than snarking on people irl who might hear about it and be hurt. 

I don't get the Meghan hate or the royal love....but I also can't explain why I will vociferously defend the ridiculous hairstyle of a guitarist of a certain age.   It's kind of interesting to me how people react differently to celebrities and why some anger us and others bring us joy disproportionate to their contributions to the zeitgeist.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

To be fair I think that about myself every time I comment on fundies.  Why do I know some woman named Jill in Ohio wears too much eyeliner or that Kelly Bates made her eldest daughter toilet train her eleventy younger siblings?  Or that Steve Maxwell finds meat in burritos unnecessary?  I don't know these people!

I justify it by telling myself that gossip and judgy, bitchy comments have been a human thing since we first developed speech and snarking on strangers is kinder than snarking on people irl who might hear about it and be hurt. 

I don't get the Meghan hate or the royal love....but I also can't explain why I will vociferously defend the ridiculous hairstyle of a guitarist of a certain age.   It's kind of interesting to me how people react differently to celebrities and why some anger us and others bring us joy disproportionate to their contributions to the zeitgeist.  

I just tell myself this is my version of watching TV. My husband sometimes rolls his eyes at my entertainment choices, but I just remind him of the many hours he spends watching Naked And Afraid or that gawdawful moonshiner show. That usually quiets him right down. ?

• Haha 4
  • Love 4

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I know you're taking some pipe for this comment, but it's true.  Ftr* I don't get the Meghan hate, but to your point even murderers have their defenders and people marry serial killers doing time in prison and will wax rhapsodic about how they are just misunderstood.  

Take FJ as a microcosm of society and I'm just going to use myself as an example, although it applies to many of us who post regularly (particularly mods.) 

There are some people here who like me and others who think I'm absolutely vile and unhinged based on reading the exact same posts (not including anyone who knows me in private off of FJ).  I am neither nice nor dangerously stupid based on the comments of people in either group, because their perception doesn't speak to my character - if that makes sense.  It's as much about who they are and the kind of posts they enjoy reading as much as it's about me.  

So to Tabitha's point she's right in that neither public detractors or defenders say anything conclusive about how good a person someone is as most people have a least some who would say nice things about them if they were being ragged on publicly.  Regarding celebrities like Meghan and the BRF or posters here or on any forum ever....some are predisposed to like them, some to dislike them, and the vast majority will give no shits either way and not understand why anyone cares enough to have an opinion.  

*In case someone missed the 900x I've said that :) 

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Huh? What are talking about?

Apparently some of the people criticizing Meghan have been spelling her name Megan (which is the more common spelling). @viii, who has been defending her, pointed out the misspelling, implying that the critics must not know very much about her if they can’t even spell her name correctly. I made a joke about the constant criticism of her by suggesting that her preferred spelling is yet another reason why her critics dislike her.

• Upvote 4

Huh. That’s not me . I know how to spell her name very well, know more than enough about her and I still don’t like her one bit  :) 

• Haha 1

Nobody here is going to convince anyone on the other ‘team’ of anything because the lovers and haters are both convinced that they’re 100% right and everyone on the other side is 110% wrong.

Those of us on the fence are just waiting to speculate about baby names already ?

• Upvote 7

On 3/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, hoipolloi said:

Re: Charlie Hebdo. Going to side with those who interpret this as savagely sharp satire, primarily directed at the BRF and not MM, because that's what Charlie Hebdo does. Their satirical depictions of the Prophet Muhammed were blamed for the horrific 2015 massacre of many of their staff. 

In other news, when you pull out the "some of my best friends are ____" trope, it's NOT a good look, and it makes me think it's more likely William was the BRF member who made the offensive remarks H & M recounted in their interview.

“Sleeping rough” is not a common expression to me. Seeing it used as a headline with a photo of Prince William hugging a man made me think this  was news that was going to make the Meghan / Harry interview look very, very bland. ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, adidas said:

Nobody here is going to convince anyone on the other ‘team’ of anything because the lovers and haters are both convinced that they’re 100% right and everyone on the other side is 110% wrong.

Those of us on the fence are just waiting to speculate about baby names already ?

In general I think you’re right especially with regards to H&M but I have changed my views on monarchy thanks to these threads. 

I’ve been a monarchist all my life. Living in the UK I never really thought about it as a child, the royals were just there. As a teenager I got interested in royalty, I have many books on them, although I have always avoided books on the current ones since they are generally rather biased. I used to get royalty magazines and cut out pictures from Hello magazine, although that got expensive and I never really looked at the pictures so I stopped that some years ago. I am well versed in how to counter the usual arguments against having a monarchy and my family and friends know me as a fount of knowledge on royalty. 

However, as per usual, the questions on FJ are more probing and the counter arguments stronger (special shout-out  to @HerNameIsBuffy in this regard). So I found myself really thinking about my position, and I couldn’t justify it. I’m still interested in the history of royalty, but I can’t agree with the institution, and the position it puts its members in, in the 21st century. 

This is something that just a month ago I would never have believed I would write, but I consider myself a republican*

Thanks to the posters on threes threads for really challenging me and making me think.

*with a small r. I in no way support the GOP.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I’m similar to @Topaz, I’ve been a monarchist all my life but the older I get and the more educated I become, I realize just how damaging of an institution it is. 

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

“Sleeping rough” is not a common expression to me. Seeing it used as a headline with a photo of Prince William hugging a man made me think this  was news that was going to make the Meghan / Harry interview look very, very bland. ?

It just means sleeping outdoors, as a homeless person might. It sounds like it might be racy, but it really is not.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Yeah @Topaz my post was referring to the Harry&Meghan love/hate - but I agree with you regarding the forum and sharing ideas in general. I’ve changed my mind about many issues because of things I’ve read online too. Some others, though - well the counter arguments just make me more convinced that I’m right ? (gun control is one example).

So. Baby names. Any guesses?

I think Diana will be a middle name, or Henrietta. Perhaps they’ll use Dorothea as a way to honour Doria.

Archie came so far out of left field, I really have no idea what they’ll go with. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic