IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

19 hours ago, mollysmom said:

My ex husband is very anti covid vax and both times he said "oh I hope you don't die from it" ? Well guess what, if I had to choose between dying from covid or dying from the vaccine I'll take my chances with the vaccine. The number of people dying from covid is astounding. The number from the vaccine.....hardly any. Sheesh.

I was in the ICU in December. I had developed sepsis and respiratory  distress from a kidney stone procedure. If that respiratory distress is even a hint if what covid would do to me, I’ll do anything to avoid it. 

I had my second Moderna shot three days ago. Just a few hours after the shot, I started having mild pain in my joints, which is what I had with the first one. That, slight dizziness and a headache went away quickly. BUT...at two in the morning, I woke up with severe pain in my right knee. Then, as if a switch were flipped, all of my joints flared up at once. Even my knuckles hurt. It was awful and I haven’t heard of anybody else who has had joint pain. It lasted about four hours and then changed into the standard flu-like body aches, headache and fever.  

After my kidney infection, I was diagnosed with reactive arthritis; it showed up in my spine. I wonder if that is why my joints were impacted like that. 

It is all worth it and I am glad I got the shot. I admit, though, I found myself thinking “Oh boy, if I need a booster one day, I’m not sure I can do this again.”

• Love 17

On 4/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Dandruff said:

Hope a booster is available before these variants can cause major havoc.

Human trials have begun with a vaccine including the Brazilian variant.  

A month after the two week wait and I was finally able to let go of double masking except at Costco or if I go to the grocery store and it's not off hours.  I use the CDC knot and pleat with surgical masks or wear a KN 95 though.  

In about 3 weeks all the adults in my family will be past the two week wait on dose 2.  That's a real relief and we may all get together to do something.  Today the fully vaxed daughter and I are meeting the one dose sister and her husband with the kids at a park.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

The parental units both are fully vaccinated and reported zero problems after getting shot number two.  (As in not feeling like number two). 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I haven’t heard of anybody else who has had joint pain.

I had joint pain also, but it only last a few hours.  I had it along with a headache so I'm not sure which was worse.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Human trials have begun with a vaccine including the Brazilian variant.  

A month after the two week wait and I was finally able to let go of double masking except at Costco or if I go to the grocery store and it's not off hours.  I use the CDC knot and pleat with surgical masks or wear a KN 95 though.  

In about 3 weeks all the adults in my family will be past the two week wait on dose 2.  That's a real relief and we may all get together to do something.  Today the fully vaxed daughter and I are meeting the one dose sister and her husband with the kids at a park.

As of next Saturday, our immediate family on both sides are all past two weeks from complete vaccination.  We’re having my family at our house for outdoor Mother’s Day dinner. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Today I got both an email and a text from California’s “Myturn” stating “thank you for your patience while waiting for your turn. You are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine....”

Actually, the Governor said it was my age bracket’s turn starting January 13 - over 3 months ago. My county said it was my age bracket & zip code’s turn starting March 3. On April 15 it became everyone in California over age 16’s ‘turn.’ 
I don’t suffer fools lightly & am beginning to think this whole shit show is being run by a ship of fools, not as malevolent as the previous federal toddler in charge, but incompetent nonetheless. Couldn’t they at least have sent a more relevant message, like ‘hey if you haven’t managed to navigate our incredibly disorganized, complex, Byzantine vaccine roll out non system by now - we have shots...come and get ‘em.’

Despite that I am now 4 weeks post shot 2 & have been to Trader Joe’s twice & inside an actual grocery store once, it was nice to feel safe doing a grocery run after I had to toss much of the contents of my frig when the power was off for 8 hours a couple of days ago.
I’ve even started taking walks by the ocean on weekends, something I’d avoided because visitors descend on weekends and aren’t very mask compliant, and well, some seem to be total idiots, FFS. This is a path in a nature reserve, not some popular SoCal beach. Today I walked by an unauthorized gathering of over 100 people for a wedding on a beach that’s currently closed (and barricaded off w/ a sign) because birds are nesting nearby - some people are so stupid, I hope the park ranger w/ her citation book out was going to nab them for the heftier bothering the birds as well as the toothless unlawful gathering/no mask fines.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I had joint pain also, but it only last a few hours.  I had it along with a headache so I'm not sure which was worse.

Ugh. I’m sorry you had both. My headache was not so bad.  I took a prescription pain pill for the joint pain but it did not seem to help. Thankfully, it started to fade after three or four hours. 

My grandson is due in a couple weeks and I am so thankful we will all be fully vaccinated upon his arrival. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

My in laws mentioned last night that they had been contacted to arrange a vaccine appointment time by their GP surgery. I am hoping they have done so and will go and just get the bloody thing as they are both high risk, as well as being elderly (but not in their minds, apparently). 

I would like this vaccine roll out to go faster not least so we can stop having snap lock downs, which are both frustrating and stressful. This time it was Perth and a surrounding LGA, but there is ongoing testing in other states to try and get on to any spread early. 

• Upvote 5

Ugh Swiss Covid Fail again. Or is the Hashtag #SwissCovidCrime more fitting? The Indian variant was found here. Which surprised exactly no one because flights weren‘t canceled between India and Switzerland. The Federal Council clarified on Friday it was actually found in March (!) but announced just now. They knew this highly contagious and likely immune escaping variant was here when they decided to massively easing the restrictions just eight days ago!!! Oh and they don‘t even cancel the flights to India now because lets wait and see. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

Got my second Pfizer shot 2 days ago.   Started feeling fatigued a few hours after the shot, then the sore arm, a bit of a headache.    Yesterday, no headache but still feeling tired.   Today, feel better, arm still a bit sore at the injection site but that's about it. 

Had been warned by friends to expect to feel more after the second shot.   I found they were right as compared to how it went with the 1st shot, but still didn't have to crash into the easy chair and binge watch Game of Thrones. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

One of my adult piano students is trying to help her family via phone and computer - she has several close relatives in India who have contracted Covid, including an uncle who is on a ventilator and not showing signs of improvement. More distant relatives, and friends of her mother, have died.

She lost a close and beloved aunt to Covid several months ago.

She described some of the situation in the various cities and rural areas that she is aware of via talking to people she knows there. It is a nightmare, and my heart is breaking for them all.

This, BTW, is the woman who helped both my Mom and me get appointments for our vaccinations. I wish I could do more for her, but at least I can listen to her.

Edited by thoughtful
left out a word
  • Sad 5
  • Love 13

On 4/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, mollysmom said:

My ex husband is very anti covid vax and both times he said "oh I hope you don't die from it" ? Well guess what, if I had to choose between dying from covid or dying from the vaccine I'll take my chances with the vaccine. The number of people dying from covid is astounding. The number from the vaccine.....hardly any. Sheesh.

I just found out my stubborn and not-as-bright-as-he-thinks brother-in-law has decided he's not going to get it, at least not yet. My sister says, well, he'll get it when he goes to the doctor for a checkup or something eventually. I told her "I'm trying to say this in a kind way, but he is NOT invited on any trips of any kind with me until he's had the vaccine. And if he gets it and causes one of our (thankfully vaccinated) parents to get a breakthrough case, there's going to be trouble." 

And then I asked if he had life insurance. He does. Enough for her to retire early on.

I have no idea why she picked this guy, but she loves him so we just have to deal. And actually knowing his luck I'm amazed he hasn't had Covid yet!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I have a cousin who had Covid over the holidays because she's one of those Branch Trumpvidians to begin with mostly because her husband is that way. She thinks that just because she had Covid, that she doesn't need the vaccine, and is still complaining about wearing masks. I think you can tell how she got it in the first place, only wearing masks because her job required it.

As far as the Moderna vaccine goes, the second shot came with body aches, but I say it was more like when you've overdone it at the gym, and it lasted a full day. The highest my temperature got was 99.6, but it went quickly down after taking something for it and the muscle aches. To me, the side effects were far better than anything the virus could have done.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 9

My idiot brother in law got the first vaccine, finally.
As it turns out, being told “we respect your decision but you’re not going to see your nieces for another six months” is motivating.
Who knew.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9

14 hours ago, bea said:

As it turns out, being told “we respect your decision but you’re not going to see your nieces for another six months” is motivating.
Who knew.

I know several people who could motivate  their parents to get vaccinated with that line. Works like a charm.

• Upvote 2

One of my kids got her first shot today.  She works at Walmart and heard over the intercom that the pharmacy had some shots left over and if anyone wanted one to report to the pharmacy right away.  Walmart hasn't bothered to get shots for their employees, but they recently told them that if they were working when one of those announcements came on and they were able to get away, they could get it on company time.  Since she was already on break, she booked it over and got inline.  After getting the shot she was told to wait with everyone else for 20 minutes in a seating area.  A manager was there taking down the names of any employees who showed up and gave them a note to give to their managers excusing them from work until after the waiting period was up.

A couple of minutes later another manager walked by and recognized her.  He loudly told her she was stupid for getting the shot and was now sick and would stay sick and be a risk to others for the next six months!  He's a big conspiracy nut who most people avoid, although there are a few employees that seem to agree with him when he spouts off his nonsense.  She said everyone just looked at him and rolled their eyes, so he walked off muttering at their stupidity.

I can't believe that Walmart allows someone in management, however low on the rung, to say something like that to their other employees and customers, all while wearing their Walmart uniform.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

5 hours ago, Flossie said:

I can't believe that Walmart allows someone in management, however low on the rung, to say something like that to their other employees and customers, all while wearing their Walmart uniform.

Maybe someone reported him, I hope?

Otherwise, how does your daughter like working at Walmart?

• Upvote 3

Shot number 2 is done. 

AEF4A0FB-CC59-418C-9154-BB732E8B8B73.thumb.jpeg.c0aab500d39092caeac74b8caefeab96.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Love 10

I've got my first shot of BioNTech at the beginning of April. I qualified because of my job and I waited nearly 2 months from the registration to the vaccination. I am soooo happy that I got vaccinated. My arm did hurt for one day and that was that. My parents will get their first shots next week at their doctor's office. And my brother got vaccinated, he qualified because of his job, too. I still feel that I have to justify our vaccinations. 

Last week a friend asked me why I got vaccinated, there would ne no priviliges from it, because shops and restaurants are still closed or have the click&collect option. And I was like: are you serious? I won't get Covid so yeah that is my benefit. I just can't understand these people. 

• Upvote 16

GETTING MY SHOT ON FRIDAY!!!!!!! 

I can't even describe how relieved I felt when I opened the school board email yesterday and found out that finally, FINALLY, they were acknowledging that Teachers on Call exist and are at risk every fucking day that they go into schools unvaccinated.

Although regular teachers were already being vaccinated as part of the Essential Workers program, Teachers on Call had been told would have to wait until AFTER regular teachers were done - for reasons that defied all logic. The union had been pressing for that to be changed, most regular teachers I have talked to were shocked that Teachers on Call were not being prioritized, i'd even resorted to emailing the Superintendent, the Health Minister, and anyone else I could think of because it was nuts. Yet the responses I got back all said the same thing : be patient, your turn will come eventually. 

In the meantime working has felt like playing Russian Roulette. Last week I got 2 different Exposure notices from schools I was at the week before. Last week I was mostly in Primary age classes and masks are not mandatory at that age. One day I sent a (non mask wearing) child to the office because he was coughing  continually. They are supposed to isolate him and call the parents, but instead he was sent back to class with no explanation to me. Last week the Teacher on Call Slack group was ablaze because a Teacher on Call was sent into a classroom without being informed that the Teacher she was replacing AND the support worker in that classroom were both at home having tested positive for Covid. They had put the Teacher on Call into the class letting her think it was just a normal day, but knowing that they were really just waiting for the parents to come pick up the kids. Within 2 hours they finally informed her of what was going on, shut down the class and told her that she now had to quarantine for 2 weeks. That never should have happened. Had the rest of us appalled, scared and stressed. 

That was a little background to how I felt before I opened the School Board email telling me that they had decided to open up vaccination spots for TOCs. As soon as I saw there was a link to book, I just about cried. Booked my appointment on the spot - which took a little time and made me late for school for the first time in years! Did not care! Principal took my class for the first 10 mins when I explained what had delayed me. Was so excited all day. Not sure I should have been trusted with small children as I was giddy and distracted! No idea what I actually taught. Pretty sure it was a hot mess. Could not think straight, but little kids (was Gr. 1) picked up on my happy vibe and went with it. ?????

(I think it's Astra Zeneca, so not my first choice, but I'll take it! (supposed to be more of the other vaccines arriving by end of next month, but there always seem to be delays and I can't wait that long.)) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 15

On 4/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, bea said:

Who knew.

I told my one brother that he wasn't going to be allowed to wrestle his nephews until he had his shots and offered to set up an appointment for him. He got the shot the next week. (We were doing masked visits and will be until we're all past the second shot.) Whatever (ethically) works!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

My fiancee got his second Moderna shot yesterday, so in another 2 weeks, everyone except for that cousin of mine will have been fully vaccinated. Maybe the only thing that might convince her to get it is if she was told she can't see her grandchildren until then, but I still doubt it as she's one who thinks that having Covid gives "immunity" and that masks are evil.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My BFF got his second shot today. His brother got his first today. Just 1 person in my closest circle who hasn't started the vaccinations. He had Covid in October and was hospitalized and his doctor wants him to wait a little longer. I will feel much better when he is fully vaccinated.

• Upvote 7

On 4/25/2021 at 7:58 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I have bad joint pain and chills - for one night and one day so far :(

• Love 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic