IGNORED

Coronavirus 5: Let the Vaccination Begin

Coconut Flan

I’m thinking for my grad party in August of saying vaccinated people only please. 

• Upvote 7

So far still nothing other than the sore arm. And even that’s not as sore as it was the first time around. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

On 4/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, CTRLZero said:

My question - has anyone traveled via air recently?  Any challenges that you’ve experienced?  We’ll be masked, carry sanitizer and be distanced, plus carry our vaccination cards.  Whew!  

I have.  I had a family emergency late last year where I was advised by medical staff to make the trip, so flew before I was vaccinated.  I was on Delta, and they were blocking middle seats, which definitely made me feel more comfortable with it.  

Since being vaccinated I've flown for a couple more trips.  Regional airports are much less busy than normal.  Hubs seem just as packed.  You may be trying to distance, but not everybody is caring about that, and if you're stuck waiting in a line, you may well have people pushing up right behind you.  Airline staff will ask people to stay in their seats until the row ahead of them is off the plane when disembarking, but actual enforcement of that varies, and so you may have little or no distancing while getting off the plane, and definitely none while in the seat.  Mask enforcement is strict.  

I wouldn't bother taking your vaccination card unless you might need it at your destination.  Nobody has asked to see mine, nor has my vaccine status been relevant for travel precautions.  They're treating everyone as unvaccinated.  

Some airlines/flights are doing minimal in-flight service.  I'd plan to take snacks and water on with you.  You may need to buy water after security rather than taking a bottle through and refilling - some airports I had a hard time finding a water fountain or bottle filling station that was functioning.  

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I’m thinking for my grad party in August of saying vaccinated people only please. 

I think it's about time for that to start, very soon. Vaccination rates are starting to slow here as more and more people who want the vaccine have gotten theirs, so I think in no more than a month or two it's time for places to start requiring vaccines for some things. Let vaccinated people sit inside restaurants, while the unvaccinated have to sit outside. Even in winter. Treat it like smoking. You can choose to be unvaccinated, but that doesn't mean other people have to allow you in their houses, businesses, cars, airplanes, movie theaters, etc. 

Have "vaccinated only" flights. Those who are unvaccinated can choose an unvaccinated flight. Those will inevitably be at inconvenient times and the workers on the flight will demand hazard pay so tickets will cost more, but that's worth it for "freedom", right?

Those who truly can't get vaccines for medical or age reasons excepted, of course. 

This will also possibly have the additional effect of spreading Covid around more among the willfully unvaccinated, giving the survivors some measure of immunity and thinning the number of them as well, which will push us further toward herd immunity. (And possibly raise the collective IQ some.)

I'm DONE with the "muh freedom" and conspiracy theory people. I am at the "get vaccinated or get Covid, just do one of them quick" point. I have run out of sympathy, and run out of understanding. For people who have vaccine appointments they're waiting for - you're good. Thank you. For people who want the vaccine but are having trouble accessing it? Good luck, I hope you get your vaccine very soon! For people who can't have vaccines for medical reasons - I'm sorry and I hope you stay safe. For people who are vaccine hesitant because they're Fox News junkies or conspiracy theorists? I'd say GDIAF but really it's GDOAV (go die of a virus) at this point. I know that's awful of me but really, I'm at that point. 

All the anti-mask, "covid is a hoax", "it's just the flu", "it's overblown" people can go mingle unmasked together, IMO. Like now. Let Nugent walk through the crowd and high five all of them, along with anyone else currently infected who is willing to go mingle. Free Covid hugs for the unvaccinated.

We've got two people in the office who I think are not vaccinated yet. I'm hoping the boss encourages them to get their vaccines since he is very pro-vaccine, but since he's also very Republican he might not do it. I'd really like to be able to advertise that our entire staff is vaccinated, but right now we still have to say "most" are vaccinated. I'm unreasonably frustrated with people right now. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

The first appointment I was able to get through my state was May 10th- but I was able to get an earlier appointment at a pharmacy and my first shot is in two hours!!! :) My fiance was also able to get an earlier appointment and his first shot is on Monday. We are very much looking forward to seeing his mom- she is fully vaccinated but is waiting until more folks are vaccinated before she travels out of her state. She hasn't met her fur grandchild yet (we've had him for over a year!) and we are excited!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

I got my 2nd shot this afternoon (Pfizer). I was supposed to get it next Friday, but Walgreens had opening today, so I cancelled my original 2nd appointment and went in today.  

• Upvote 9

DD6 and I go this Saturday to get our 2nd Pfizer vaccines.  I'm so glad to  hear so many haven't had a bad reaction after the 2nd shot.  That makes all my violynn's done except for one last DD who is getting her 2nd shot in 2 weeks.  It will be amazing to have us all together again without anyone worrying about getting sick.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Spoiler

Got my shot 3 hours ago!!! 

The pic was in the area where you wait for your 15 mins after the shot. What you can't see is the crazy look in my eyes. I surprised myself by bursting into tears as I got the shot. Quickly followed by me laughing at my ridiculous self. So basically an emoji ???

I think it was just relief after so many months of the stress of being in schools every day. The nurse didn't bat an eyelid, just offered me a Kleenex. I don't think I'm the only person who has reacted that way. 

And so far is only a bit sore, much like I usually get after the regular flu shot. 

20210430_204556.jpg

I'd try to claim the Spoiler fail above as a vaccine side effect, but I pretty much mess that up about 50% of the time anyway, so who are we kidding. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 12

I went in for mine but they only had Astra Zeneca left and since I can’t have that one I have to wait for Pfizer supplies. Hmph. 

• Sad 8

22 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

I have.  I had a family emergency late last year where I was advised by medical staff to make the trip, so flew before I was vaccinated.  I was on Delta, and they were blocking middle seats, which definitely made me feel more comfortable with it.  

Since being vaccinated I've flown for a couple more trips.  Regional airports are much less busy than normal.  Hubs seem just as packed.  You may be trying to distance, but not everybody is caring about that, and if you're stuck waiting in a line, you may well have people pushing up right behind you.  Airline staff will ask people to stay in their seats until the row ahead of them is off the plane when disembarking, but actual enforcement of that varies, and so you may have little or no distancing while getting off the plane, and definitely none while in the seat.  Mask enforcement is strict.  

I wouldn't bother taking your vaccination card unless you might need it at your destination.  Nobody has asked to see mine, nor has my vaccine status been relevant for travel precautions.  They're treating everyone as unvaccinated.  

Some airlines/flights are doing minimal in-flight service.  I'd plan to take snacks and water on with you.  You may need to buy water after security rather than taking a bottle through and refilling - some airports I had a hard time finding a water fountain or bottle filling station that was functioning.  

Thank you!  I was actually on my trip when I read your post, and it was just as you stated.  We were all mashed together during the security luggage inspection portion.  Before and after that, we found little isolated spots in the busy airport to hang out for our flight.  No distancing as we boarded.  Everyone on the plane was fortunately pretty contented to remain masked.  The crew was very adamant and gave dire warnings of the consequences of unmasking.  No alcohol on the plane.  Only four beverage choices, which we were to indicate by holding up the number of fingers corresponding to the beverage (i.e., "1" = Coke; "4" = water).  One other change I noticed, no one was chit chatting with their neighbors, as usually happens on flights.  It was so quiet.

We flew into Nashville, Tennessee, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people wearing masks -- even just walking down the streets.  Of course, I'm sure it's a different story at the downtown bars, but we ate outdoors at a restaurant and everyone in the area was mask compliant. 

We left our original vaccination cards at home, but did carry copies.  I'm so happy we had a good experience, under the circumstances.  Hoping our return trip will be as easy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

I was tired and had chills after the second shot.  The side effects kicked in last night and I was able to sleep them off.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Looks like I’ll be getting the first jab(Moderna)on Thursday.  The county health department is having a walk-in clinic, and my pastor has offered to take me.  

I know I should do it, but I am the world’s biggest ? when it comes to needles.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Looks like I’ll be getting the first jab(Moderna)on Thursday.  The county health department is having a walk-in clinic, and my pastor has offered to take me.  

Look away.  It doesn't hurt.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

The vaccine ( Astra Zeneca) I got on Friday kicked my ass yesterday :fever, chills, fatigue, body aches, and nausea. Started to feel better around noon today and now am just left with a bit of soreness at the injection site, which I am icing. Lost most of my weekend feeling crappy, but it's still worth it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

@smittykins You‘re gonna be okay! Maybe have something with you to distract you? And reward yourself afterwards for doing it despite your fear of needles!

My boyfriend finally got his appointment as well and I‘m just so excited that we both will be fully protected by the end of June! ?

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, smittykins said:

This is super random, but when I was a teenager I learned a trick to distract yourself when getting shots- start counting in your head in a language other than your primary language, if you know one. I always start counting in French (which I only took in middle school and I sadly only remember 1-10) and by the time I get to 4 or 5 the shot is already over! You can also try singing a song in your head or reciting a poem, etc.

I had my first shot last Friday and it was super quick- I barely felt anything at all! My arm did hurt for about a day, but it wasn't debilitating. My hips were super sore on Saturday night and I've been SO SO SO TIRED for the past two days- but those might just be because I'm out of shape (hips) and hormonal (tiredness).

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, smittykins said:

I hate needles too, and I always flinch badly at flu shots and bloodwork, but I had my first Moderna 3 weeks ago, and the shot itself felt like the nurse poked me gently with her fingernail.  I actually said, “that was it?”  She laughed.  I also had no symptoms other than my arm feeling like it was bruised for about 2 days.  It was really easy, so you should be fine, @smittykins.  
I get #2 next week.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

28 minutes ago, catlady said:

the shot itself felt like the nurse poked me gently with her fingernail.  I actually said, “that was it?”  She laughed. 

Exact same for my Pfizer shots. I was amazed how quick and painless they went in - like to the point that if I hadn't had any arm soreness I'd have been worried they didn't give me anything! 

I figure with all the vaccines being done right now, everyone giving them is well practiced at this point so you're highly unlikely to get somebody who is bad at giving shots. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Yes, because in the middle of a pandemic - let's go climb Everest - and get covid.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 9

17 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Yes, because in the middle of a pandemic - let's go climb Everest - and get covid.

Scotty, beam me up. There is no intelligent life on Earth. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

20 minutes ago, clueliss said:

There literally is not a worse place on Earth to get Covid. The Nepal base camp is at around 17,900 feet! I saw a video once by a doctor who was visiting the camp, and his oxygen sats were down around 80 just standing in a room, and he was having major brain fog. And I'm not sure which camp he was at - the China one is even lower altitude apparently. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

I'm not a fan of needles, but I didn't even feel either Moderna shot go in. I just knew I was done when they put the bandaid on and told me to drive to the observation parking area for the 15 minutes. The side effect for the first shot was just a sore arm, and the second one came with muscle aches, much like an overdone workout which only lasted a day.

The only traveling I've done is by car at this point, and will only visit those who have been vaccinated.

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, clueliss said:

Those are fucking reckless people. I hope they'll get a bad case. My heart breaks for the local workers who have to risk their life (and the ones of their loved ones) because some careless climbers don't quarantine properly. The Khumbu Valley is very isolated and I guess health care isn't widely available. If there's an outbreak many will die due to lack of accessible health care.

• I Agree 5

Looks like Pfizer will be available for younger people soon. 

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected to authorize Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for youngsters ages 12 to 15 by next week, according to a federal official and a person familiar with the process, setting up shots for many before the beginning of the next school year.

The federal official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to preview the FDA’s action, said the agency was expected to expand its emergency use authorization for Pfizer’s two-dose vaccine by early next week, and perhaps even sooner. The person familiar with the process, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters, confirmed the timeline and added that it is expected that the FDA will approve Pfizer’s use by even younger children sometime this fall.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

DD and I had no reactions to our 2nd Pfizer shots other than a sore arm and a mid-size headache the next day.  I've had more reaction from my yearly flu shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic