IGNORED

Bates 29: Marrying Off the Sons

Coconut Flan

Nathan has been wearing that "promise ring" for a while--perhaps she's doing the same thing? I don't remember seeing a ring on her before though. So confusing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

A few days ago one of them posted a video of Nathan surprising Esther with a visit, which I think supports the conclusion that they are not yet married. 

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

Most likely he won't propose until at least April, then they'll be one year together

Is this a thing for fundies? I know it's a thing among Catholics, but the fundies we follow here seem to get married within months of beginning a relationship, especially non teenage couples.

• Upvote 7

If you like hatewatch fundie fashion like I do, I heartily recommend The Crown College's Annual Valentine's Banquet Facebook album at https://www.facebook.com/thecrowncollege/

More ways to frumpify an evening gown than you could ever think of!  

And there is this guy, who I salute:

image.thumb.png.6977addf18d1bf4185357a1bdb04f0f3.png

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 12
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 18
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

If you like hatewatch fundie fashion like I do, I heartily recommend The Crown College's Annual Valentine's Banquet Facebook album at https://www.facebook.com/thecrowncollege/

Speaking of the Crown Vday banquet, look at all those people packed in there maskless. 

85CA0308-FBC0-4C37-A256-E1F8C2AFB724.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • WTF 15
  • Thank You 3

11 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Is this a thing for fundies? I know it's a thing among Catholics, but the fundies we follow here seem to get married within months of beginning a relationship, especially non teenage couples.

Well since Nathan has been in a relationship before he probably more hesitant to jump into marriage this time around, he wants top make sure. As well as I don't know the rules Esther's family has as in courting for 3 months and then getting engaged or if they want there kids to date longer, plus the bates tend to have longer courtships than others in the world. Chad and Erin,  Brandon and Michaela and Carlin and Evan dated multiple years before getting engaged. I don't think Nathan will last two years, by this point he should know what he wants an go after it like John David did, but he is going to wait a while.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Omg that just made my day. Honestly some were not as terrible as I expected. The short sleeve sequin top (a la Jessa Duggar’s wedding dress) and long sleeve lace top (a la Kate middleton’s wedding dress) looks actually work pretty well at being both “modest” and not hideous. 

• Upvote 9

I've been looking at the Crown Valentine's Day Banquet photo albums for several years (no Bates sightings this year) and I do think the fashions have improved. There are a lot more modest sequined or lace tops, and far fewer vnecked, sleeveless formal gowns, frumped up with bolero jackets, shrugs and layering tshirts.

But I swear that the tables look just as closely packed as in previous years, and not a mask in sight! This is a hotel ballroom--not on the Crown college campus--so I don't understand why there aren't any decreased capacity or social distancing rules.  They can't argue this is a religious service.

• Upvote 20

6 hours ago, hollyfeller said:

There are a whole lotta recycled bridesmaid's dresses goin' on there!

To be fair, that's great. Why not wear a bridesmaid's dress more than once?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Well I, for one, am absolutely scandalised at how close these unmarried, young people are standing to each other at this ball. Leave space for the Holy spirit! 

And also yes; super irresponsible to pack them all in during a pandemic. But maybe they all prayed for Covid protection before the meal was served. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:39 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of the Crown Vday banquet, look at all those people packed in there maskless. 

85CA0308-FBC0-4C37-A256-E1F8C2AFB724.jpeg

Upsetting but not surprising.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

On 2/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, lumpentheologie said:

Gil's niece, Kat Bates, seems to be going to Anderson University soon (per her insta). Looks like that's the Baptist but non-fundie (accredited!) university where Gil and Kelly met (then Anderson College).  I wonder what the Bates daughters think about that. 

Which one--there is more than one Anderson. There is a Church of God college,Anderson University that is definitely accredited and everything in Indiana. Friends have gone there and other friend's Mom was on the faculty.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 2/16/2021 at 3:34 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'd imagine that if he does propose, they'll have a short engagement like most other fundie couples. U.S. Catholics (like me and Mr. Maple) are typically engaged for about a year due to logistics. Most dioceses require 6-9 months notice before your planned wedding date so you can complete pre-Cana requirements and if you're looking at getting married on a Saturday in Spring/Summer, those dates often book a year in advance. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, maple802 said:

I'd imagine that if he does propose, they'll have a short engagement like most other fundie couples. U.S. Catholics (like me and Mr. Maple) are typically engaged for about a year due to logistics. Most dioceses require 6-9 months notice before your planned wedding date so you can complete pre-Cana requirements and if you're looking at getting married on a Saturday in Spring/Summer, those dates often book a year in advance. 

I was raised Catholic in the USA. One Catholic family I know had people who started dating and wanted to marry immediately. The Duggars can court for three months and get married after another 3 months.  The Catholics in this family felt that they needed to know each other one year before they married. They started planning the engagement long before the year was up, but they officially scheduled the wedding so that they knew each other a year when they made the vows. The weddings were often soon after that one year period was up no matter the season. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Which one--there is more than one Anderson. There is a Church of God college,Anderson University that is definitely accredited and everything in Indiana. Friends have gone there and other friend's Mom was on the faculty.

The Baptist one, as I said. It's in South Carolina. The one in Indiana is Pentecostal--most Baptists would not go there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I almost went to Anderson! I was looking at education programs when I was looking at colleges and Anderson has a pretty good one for SC. It’s a really tiny school, about 2000 students, but the campus is absolutely beautiful. The thing that turned me off, despite being raised Baptist, was the multi time a week chapel requirement and the guest policy that said that any opposite sex guest in your room meant that you had to have your door open with all 4 feet on the ground at all times. I had a boyfriend who is now my husband and we would’ve been long distance and that policy would not have worked for us if he came to visit. They also had a full scholarship lottery for secondary education majors that was not an exciting prospect since it’s a private college and crazy expensive. I ended up choosing somewhere else that was very liberal arts, but I did seriously consider Anderson for a while before I picked the place I went. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I had a look at Clown College FP page and especially at the Valentine’s Day banquet and while many of the clothes looked alright, the general atmosphere of the photos seemed so odd.
Maybe I’m projecting what I already think about CC, but it just didn’t look like photos of relaxed young people having a fun time to me. More staged, perhaps? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Screenshot_20210219-154254.png.c3a88883404feb55170e141619fc5e14.png

Poor Addee. And poor other Bates children who aren't "rare blessings" like she is.

I feel sorry for kids like Addee. If she makes the slightest mistake, I bet she beats herself up all day. Her parents are harming her so much and they have no clue.

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

We love you because you never complain or ask us for anything. We love you because you work without being told to. No pressure.  Happy 15th birthday. 

Edited by Satan'sFortress
Typo
  • Upvote 29
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Today is the day of the usual "I love you" dinner, what it will be the theme this year? Quarantine? Pandemic? Pj dress? I am almost sure that both Tiffany and Ester will be there. Stretch your eye cause I feel the ? will be at the top this year

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic