IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

The Dillards named their new dog Fenna. Apparently they wanted to pick out a Dutch name and that was their favorite.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, sansan said:

Sorry? Not sure where you heard that about Texas. Yes, we are required to wear masks in Texas.

Well. Not anymore. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 4
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

I taught my daughter to use the term vulva and have been surprised that even very liberal friends of mine are shocked and confused by this. They all use the word vagina with their kids to refer to what is actually a vulva.

The word vulva should be normalized. The emphasis on the vaginal opening downplays the importance of all the other parts and purposes of that area.

Also I've seen several meme games about naming your vulva (or as they say, vagina) vs naming your penis (the ones based on first initial/month of birth/etc). The vulva names are generally floofy and feminine or they refer to it as a place to put a penis, whereas the penis names are powerful, masculine, and sometimes violent... My response to this is to half jokingly nickname my vulva The Pink Barracuda because she's always hungry. If I ever owned a muscle car I'd want a 1972 Pink Barracuda just because.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 17
  • Love 8

21 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I thought that you had sex once for each baby. When people had triplets my friends and I were horrified. They had sex three times to get them! Yuck!

Yes, I used to think that too. That to have twins they had to have sex 2 times in a row......the way our developing minds work

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

I taught my daughter to use the term vulva and have been surprised that even very liberal friends of mine are shocked and confused by this. They all use the word vagina with their kids to refer to what is actually a vulva.

Unrelatedly, Texas just lifted their mask mandate. 
https://apple.news/AZMsjbtxxRGyPwAvmZSKy7A

That is such a pet peeve of mine as well. Your vulva and your vagina ARE NOT THE SAME THING. The vulva are the external organs, which includes the labia major and labia minor, the clitoris and the vaginal opening. But your vagina is INSIDE OF YOU. Believe me, I'm 30 years old and I know women my age who are too embarassed to actually say the word vulva.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I have a little boy and taught him the word is penis, and that "pee comes out of your penis" as we are potty training right now. If I have a daughter at some point, I plan to teach her that her "private parts" is called a vulva. Would I then say "pee comes out of your urethra"? I mean it does, that is accurate, but it seems so technical for a toddler?? ??

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:31 PM, indianabones said:

It was definitely a trend in the circles I run in. That and coconut oil blew up in my friend group at the same time.

I'm totally late to this, but my good friend's sister got on the ACV for health thing and was drinking a few shot glasses of it per day. She didn't notice any changes...until she had to have surgery to remove her massive bleeding hemorrhoids. Her doctor said it was almost certain caused by the acidity from drinking ACV. ???

• Sad 5
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, bertnee said:

I have a little boy and taught him the word is penis, and that "pee comes out of your penis" as we are potty training right now. If I have a daughter at some point, I plan to teach her that her "private parts" is called a vulva. Would I then say "pee comes out of your urethra"? I mean it does, that is accurate, but it seems so technical for a toddler?? ??

I have a 3 year old and she knows she has a vulva. She has to wipe her vulva (or be wiped), wash her vulva, she occasionally needs cream on her vulva, the cartoon characters on her underwear goes on the front over her vulva. She has no idea she has a vagina because so far neither she nor I have had to touch it. I guess we'll either talk about it when we discuss sex, if she ever has a medical issue involving it, or if she discovers it herself and asks. We haven't taught her urethra just because it never really came up in potty training, she knew the area it was coming from and never really asked for more specifics. Kind of like how they learn to eat but you don't really have to tell them to move their tongue to help the food move to the back of their throat, they just do it.
I didn't grow up with the term vulva (I'm Australian-raised British-born and my parents used fanny), and it hasn't come naturally to me to use it, but it's not technical to my daughter because to her its just another word for a body part like arm or finger.

• Upvote 19

4 hours ago, bertnee said:

If I have a daughter at some point, I plan to teach her that her "private parts" is called a vulva. Would I then say "pee comes out of your urethra"? I mean it does, that is accurate, but it seems so technical for a toddler?? ??

I've been thinking a lot about this and don't really have a clue what term I'd use.

BTW: I was schocked to find out that many men think that women pee out of their vagina!!

• Upvote 10

18 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I've been thinking a lot about this and don't really have a clue what term I'd use.

BTW: I was schocked to find out that many men think that women pee out of their vagina!!

And a big reason for this is that they don't know what a vulva is! Men just assume it's like a penis, one hole for everything. My mother taught me very young what a urethra is in the context of the importance of wiping front to back. She didn't go into what the vaginal opening was for since it wasn't age appropriate, but I didn't find it traumatizing to be told girls have 3 holes and boys have two, and girls have the extra hole for babies.

• Upvote 14

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

The Dillards named their new dog Fenna. Apparently they wanted to pick out a Dutch name and that was their favorite.

Oh wow, it is quite an unusual name here. My cousin is named Fenna but I don't know any others I think. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The fun thing about teaching your kids the appropriate genital names is when your three year old shouts out in church, "Does that man have a PENIS?"

Sink to the floor while the congregation titters.....

• Haha 30

Back on the topic of Fenna. I just realized it is actually a Frisian name, so from the North of the Netherlands, not close to Belgium at all.

So it’s like having an American dog and then giving them a Welsh name because they speak English in the US ?

• Haha 20

40 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Back on the topic of Fenna. I just realized it is actually a Frisian name, so from the North of the Netherlands, not close to Belgium at all.

So it’s like having an American dog and then giving them a Welsh name because they speak English in the US ?

This is hilarious. It also always seems odd to me that the dog is called a Malinois in English. When Malinois is the French term for Mechelse, which is a place where Dutch is spoken...

• Upvote 8

On 3/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, Not that josh's mom said:

I thought that you had sex once for each baby. When people had triplets my friends and I were horrified. They had sex three times to get them! Yuck!

Haha- I was the same! My dad told me that sex was how you got babies, and I apparently looked him dead in the eyes and said "oh so you've done the sex twice then?"  (I have one sister). He said he did not know how to answer that so just said "yes, sure, twice".

• Haha 26

1 hour ago, Cat Damon said:

Haha- I was the same! My dad told me that sex was how you got babies, and I apparently looked him dead in the eyes and said "oh so you've done the sex twice then?"  (I have one sister). He said he did not know how to answer that so just said "yes, sure, twice".

It’s so funny how kids brains work. Once my son asked me about my birth control pills. I told him I took them so I wouldn’t have any more babies. He seemed so confused and wondered why I would need pills for that. He knew what sex was, but also thought it was only for having babies. So in his mind if I didn’t want a baby why on earth would I do the thing that made them ? This is the same kid who told me when he grew up he was going to live in an RV (he was obsessed with them at the time). I told him I didn’t think that would work out so well if he had a family. He told me he was going to make his wife “eat those pills” so they didn’t have kids.  He was 7 years old...I about died of laughter ?

• Haha 39

4 hours ago, Travelfan said:

It’s so funny how kids brains work. Once my son asked me about my birth control pills. I told him I took them so I wouldn’t have any more babies. He seemed so confused and wondered why I would need pills for that. He knew what sex was, but also thought it was only for having babies. So in his mind if I didn’t want a baby why on earth would I do the thing that made them ? This is the same kid who told me when he grew up he was going to live in an RV (he was obsessed with them at the time). I told him I didn’t think that would work out so well if he had a family. He told me he was going to make his wife “eat those pills” so they didn’t have kids.  He was 7 years old...I about died of laughter ?

In that regard, he’d make the perfect fundie!?

• Haha 5

On 3/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, indianabones said:

Oh man, so close to having the same name as my favorite dog!

• Haha 9

I love that video so much. I also can't imagine EVER having a dog off-leash in Richmond Park. Jesus Christ.

Also, that's the first place I ever saw a deer walk on its hind legs!

Spoiler

1524920210_Screenshot_20210303-1657262.thumb.png.f0d94f843b09bf839e073cef09a0ef0c.png

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Four is Enough said:

The fun thing about teaching your kids the appropriate genital names is when your three year old shouts out in church, "Does that man have a PENIS?"

Sink to the floor while the congregation titters.....

Oh well. Toddlers are very interested. Especially when it is something they DON‘T have. My daughter loves to bring male animal figurines and point out their penis (they are really realistically designed). Especially when I have a work related video call. She had all sorts of questions. Will we get one when we grow as big as daddy? Probably not. Not even a little on? Sorry, don’t think so. Quite the bummer I tell you. She stopped pointing out all men and declaring they have a penis pretty fast though (thankfully). Now, she finds her vagina awesome. 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:19 AM, bertnee said:

I think at toddler stage it isn’t as important if you use vulva, vagina or urethra. It’s important to make a mostly correct distinction and give them a vocabulary they can use - especially when talking about their body parts. We go with vagina at this point, but she has brought up another correct term from our language- probably learned in nursery. The teaching continues the older she gets. My reasoning for vagina, while not exactly anatomical correct is that it’s not rare usage (as vulva or urethra) and it’s a word I am completely comfortable in using in private or public and therefore can respond in a positive way. I do believe children have a very fine instinct how people feel about topics and I want to give off positive vibes with no slightly embarrassed looks or hesitation. 
I have no doubt when it’s time for a more specific talk, there will be no problem to adapt.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

25 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think at toddler stage it isn’t as important if you use vulva, vagina or urethra. It’s important to make a mostly correct distinction and give them a vocabulary they can use - especially when talking about their body parts. We go with vagina at this point, but she has brought up another correct term from our language- probably learned in nursery. The teaching continues the older she gets. My reasoning for vagina, while not exactly anatomical correct is that it’s not rare usage (as vulva or urethra) and it’s a word I am completely comfortable in using in private or public and therefore can respond in a positive way. I do believe children have a very fine instinct how people feel about topics and I want to give off positive vibes with no slightly embarrassed looks or hesitation. 
I have no doubt when it’s time for a more specific talk, there will be no problem to adapt.

I agree with all of this. Well said 

My daughter and I just use vagina and occasionally the generic "private parts"

• Upvote 3

On 3/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, CarrotCake said:

Fenna is a cute name though, it's been in the top 5 for girls for years (for Friesland anyway). I know plenty of Fenna's. The only other top Frisian names that would've worked on dogs are Tess and Yara. Did they explain why they wanted a Dutch name?

Edited by Chewing Gum
  • Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Fenna is a cute name though, it's been in the top 5 for girls for years (for Friesland anyway). I know plenty of Fenna's. The only other top Frisian names that would've worked on dogs are Tess and Yara. Did they explain why they wanted a Dutch name?

Maybe in Friesland, in the rest of the country it is not very popular I think.

They apparently choose a Dutch name because the dog is a Belgian breed. Which is why I thought it would be funny they went with a Frisian name and not a Flemish (or at least less regional Dutch) name. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

On 3/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, Cat Damon said:

My daughter is almost 16 years old.  No matter that we freely talk about sex "doing the do not all over the place",  she still seems to think you only have sex to make a baby.  Well, I guess as long as she's not wanting a baby, we're okay? ? I guess because I told her there is always a possibility that you can get pregnant when you have sex and birth control doesn't always work?  I swear, I believe she thinks her daddy & I have only had sex one time in 27 years!  She knows I take birth control pills but I don't think she's made the connection that we might still have sex on occasion...

Edited by whitney37354
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Maybe in Friesland, in the rest of the country it is not very popular I think.

They apparently choose a Dutch name because the dog is a Belgian breed. Which is why I thought it would be funny they went with a Frisian name and not a Flemish (or at least less regional Dutch) name. 

Ah I see! That's funny yeah, Friesland is nowhere near Belgium.  

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic