IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

My parents taught me correct anatomical terms, but for whatever reason I decided to call my vulva my 'blabbies' (I vaguely remember this happening when I was told I needed to wash that area). My parents though it was funny and the word stuck.

A male friend of mine used to call his penis his 'shooter'. I think this came about during toilet training as a result of being taught to aim. His mom would ask what he's going to wash when he takes a bath, and he would proudly say 'my shooter.'

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

From what I remember, everyone I knew referred to genitalia as “pee pee” regardless if we were boys or girls. At least as kids that’s what we called it. I remember adults referring to it as our “down there”. I didn’t fully know proper terms until 5th grade because of sex ed class. 

I do remember my mother saying “You can touch yourself down there during your private time but nobody else can touch yours. If someone does please tell me”. 

Looking back I’m glad my mother didn’t shame us about that. However if I do have children I will use proper terms. 

• Upvote 17

I was thinking today about Jill's situation. During an interview, she mentioned that some of the family wasn't as understanding as others about the changes she's making in her life. It must be very disheartening to have your family reject you for sending your children to public school and using birth control when they embrace and forgive Josh for molesting girls and cheating on his wife. So long as he toes the line, he's a-ok.

Edited by Satan'sFortress
Posted too soon
  • Upvote 22
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 23
  • Love 1

Jill and Derick were at the wedding.  There is a picture in her insta of the two of them dressed up. Derrick has a man bun and a nice looking suit.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 9

On 2/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, HeartsAFundie said:

I remember being a 70s kid around 8-9 watching the episode of "Good Times" in which JJ thinks he has venereal disease (VD) and I asked my mother what VD was.  Her response?  "That's something you get from sitting on a dirty toilet".   And I thought that for years.  

Not quite the same thing, but I was a kid when Madonna was on the charts with Like a Virgin. I didn’t understand it, so I went up to my mom once while she was at the stove making dinner and asked her what a virgin was. Her whole body stiffened and she replied, “a very holy person.” Being an extremely naive kid who went to catholic school, I immediately asked if SHE was a virgin, and she told me to go to my room until dinner was ready. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 42

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Jill and Derick were at the wedding.  There is a picture in her insta of the two of them dressed up. Derrick has a man bun and a nice looking suit.

I still am annoyed with people traveling for a wedding but at least they were in masks (you don't have to wear them in TX I assume because Texas.) 

I think it's kind of cute that she was just saying she couldn't wait for it to be long enough to put up and he's wearing a tiny top knot/bun here. Between that and the suit that actually fits she was probably thinking she has the best looking husband the whole time ?

• Upvote 28

5 hours ago, LillyP said:

We are absolutely teaching our toddler to use correct names. The first time my husband referred to our son's penis as his "wee wee" I was like...nope...it's a penis. It literally never occurred to him the reasoning why kids should know correct names. Recently he's shown some interest in the difference so we've had to explain penis vs vagina. The number of kids I know who refer to it as their "privates" is just shocking. Like parents aren't ok with teaching their kids proper names?  

Devil's advocate: we teach our sons the proper names for the individual parts, but will refer to the whole underwear area as "privates" for simplicity's sake. Maybe those kids are embarrassed/being general?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Devil's advocate: we teach our sons the proper names for the individual parts, but will refer to the whole underwear area as "privates" for simplicity's sake. Maybe those kids are embarrassed/being general?

I think that makes sense. Specific parts having names but the whole general bathing suit area is private an not to be shown in public or for anyone else to be touching. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I saw that picture as well.  They referred to their appearance as "a quick date".  And Izzy and Sam did not attend. They were with "Mimi", which I would assume is Cathy, and the dog was being looked after as well.  And both Jill and Derick were wearing masks in the photo I saw of them.  

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, Grace said:

I still am annoyed with people traveling for a wedding but at least they were in masks (you don't have to wear them in TX I assume because Texas.) 

I think it's kind of cute that she was just saying she couldn't wait for it to be long enough to put up and he's wearing a tiny top knot/bun here. Between that and the suit that actually fits she was probably thinking she has the best looking husband the whole time ?

Yesterday I made a tiny man bun for my husband and I laughed so hard.

Hairdressers have been closed here for three months now and I am not allowed to cut it. 
They open again coming week so it will not become a proper bun but it was still fun.

• Haha 6

Both jinger and Joy liked Jill’s wedding pic of her and Derrick. I thought I had read somewhere that joy had stopped liking Jill’s stuff. I do find it odd that she liked it after liking the random confession post the other day. But hey maybe she is mending bridges? 

• Upvote 8

17 hours ago, justodd said:

Not quite the same thing, but I was a kid when Madonna was on the charts with Like a Virgin. I didn’t understand it, so I went up to my mom once while she was at the stove making dinner and asked her what a virgin was. Her whole body stiffened and she replied, “a very holy person.” Being an extremely naive kid who went to catholic school, I immediately asked if SHE was a virgin, and she told me to go to my room until dinner was ready. 

I remember being told (and I'm not sure by whom... my mom actually was quite open about how babies were made... might have been a Sunday school teacher) that a virgin was a woman who hadn't had a baby yet.  So of course that got me wondering why it was such a big deal that Mary was a virgin because that definition meant that every woman was a virgin until she had her oldest child.  

• Haha 22

My mom was very closed mouthed about everything. I thought for the longest time that you got pregnant by exchanging saliva. So one time in elementary school a boy and I shared a piece of pizza (remember how exciting it was when pizza day came around? ?). I thought for days that I was going to have his baby. So I told this to a girl about it and she told her mom, who was one of the PTA moms. She apparently then had a talk with all the other PTA moms about me spreading false rumors about sex. The girl came up to me a few days later and said her mom was going to call my mom. I thought I was going to get in so much trouble, I was a mess for weeks. My mom never mentioned a thing about it, so I don't know if she ever got that call or not. I was very open with my kids about everything because that anxiety was just so ridiculous and entirely unnecessary. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 16

I thought sex was kissing, and when the neighbor boy kissed me I informed my mom we'd had sex. I was probably 7 and to her credit, while she absolutely stopped preparing dinner to discuss this in a way that suggested I had said something way more serious than I thought, she asked me what I thought sex was before totally freaking out. I'm sure that gave her a grey hair or two.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 21
  • Love 4

7 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I thought sex was kissing, and when the neighbor boy kissed me I informed my mom we'd had sex. I was probably 7 and to her credit, while she absolutely stopped preparing dinner to discuss this in a way that suggested I had said something way more serious than I thought, she asked me what I thought sex was before totally freaking out. I'm sure that gave her a grey hair or two.

My sister, aged 5, also thought that kissing = sex. So when she saw teenage me kissing my BF, she promptly told my mother that we were having sex. ?

Fortunately for me, my mother gave me the benefit of the doubt ?

• Haha 26
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:26 PM, Grace said:

Sorry? Not sure where you heard that about Texas. Yes, we are required to wear masks in Texas.

• Upvote 3

I thought that you had sex once for each baby. When people had triplets my friends and I were horrified. They had sex three times to get them! Yuck!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 28

2 hours ago, sansan said:

Sorry? Not sure where you heard that about Texas. Yes, we are required to wear masks in Texas.

Not all states have stay wide mandates and since TX is pretty red and seems very serious about independent rights I assumed incorrectly that there wasn't a mandate. My apologies.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I thought that you had sex once for each baby. When people had triplets my friends and I were horrified. They had sex three times to get them! Yuck!

I still remember my best friend and I talking about this around the time our puberty hormones kicked in. She wanted to have lots of babies so she could have lots of sex (in reality a bunch of babies usually puts a damper on sexy times from what I understand).

• Haha 12

I don't think I've ever said this out loud, but when I was younger and started to touch myself without fully knowing why it felt so good, I thought that *good feeling* would get me pregnant. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I thought people had babies by kissing, so I would always make my Barbies kiss each other to have a baby. My older sisters saw me one time and made sure they filled me in on how babies are REALLY made. Horrified, I ran to my mom so she would assure me they were lying. ? Once she explained the birds and bees to me, I sat there in silence, taking it all in, before I asked if her and my dad could do it one more time to get me a baby brother ?

• Haha 22
  • Love 2

I originally thought you just had to sleep in the same bed as someone to ‘have sex’ (I’d heard the disdainful mutters and whispers about ‘sleeping together’ at our fundie lite church). Then after my parents told me what actually occurred, I thought you just did it for babies, so the number of children you had was the number of times you’d had sex.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

When I was 8 my mom was pregnant with my brother and she explained what sex was to me. When I was 10 we had sex education in school.  I came home telling my mom how totally wrong she had been about where babies came from, that it wasn’t from sex, it was when a girls egg got fertilized by a boys sperm ? Guess they were a little too technical at school...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

I taught my daughter to use the term vulva and have been surprised that even very liberal friends of mine are shocked and confused by this. They all use the word vagina with their kids to refer to what is actually a vulva.

Unrelatedly, Texas just lifted their mask mandate. 
https://apple.news/AZMsjbtxxRGyPwAvmZSKy7A

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic