IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

6 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So what was the point in voting? 

To send a message, probably.

Pence may have a good reason..if he can’t get a majority of the Cabinet to commit, it’s much better to say ‘not gonna do it’ rather than to try and fail.

• Upvote 13

I'm enraged Pence doesn't have the decency to at least try. I'm to the point of hating Pence more than Trump. No, I probably hate them equally, but WTF?! What does he have to gain by not signing it?? It's not like he's got some stellar reputation to uphold and Trumps groupies have already put out a bounty on his head! I hope after Biden's elected Pence slithers back into whatever hole he came out of and is never in the public eye again.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

Inside job? Scary stuff. L

ITMFA one my friends has this t-shirt. I'm jealous.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 6

13 hours ago, Smee said:

shameless plug for my book... https://www.bookdepository.com/Things-We-Cant-Undo-Gabrielle-Reid/9781925736045?ref=grid-view&qid=1610484476420&sr=1-2

(Disclaimer: not American, but) I have posted nothing on my main Facebook account or Twitter feed. I’m doomscrolling, obsessively checking here, and sharing articles or memes with some people in private groups, but saying very little. It’s hard to know what, exactly, to say. Obviously I condemn what happened and the people who did it, I’m horrified by Trump himself, and afraid of the days/weeks/months to come, but words seem inadequate and there is so MUCH wrong that I don’t even know where to start. Plus, inauguration hasn’t happened yet, arrests are still happening, no politicians have yet been charged with treason, so in a very real sense it’s still happening and there’s a kind of “freeze” response, an inability to process it while it’s still happening iykwim. Not saying this is the case for your friends, particularly if they’re shutting down other discussion of it and being like “can we just move on”, but I just wanted to give my 2c on how silence isn’t necessarily apathy.

The whole thing still feels so weird. Every time in my lifetime there’s been a terrorist attack or disaster in a Western democratic country, the leader of that country has come out to speak and reassure the people, hold a press conference etc. But this time the leader is on the side of the terrorists. I can’t wrap my head around it.

What day is it over there, still Tuesday? Any news on the impeachment process? (I should check the House thread I suppose.)

I agree and I knew it would come off like I was whining about it, but that wasn't my intent. it's the fact, for me and those I know on social media, they are intentionally posting fluff to drown out reality. A cousin posts "let's get along" bullshit multiple times a day - the latest was a picture of a donkey & elephant fighting with Uncle Sam saying "I don't care who started it, clean this mess up". They're choosing the middle path to avoid friction. They're talking about it without talking about it; non committal. Another cousin posted some move clip of "everyone just get along for christ's sake" being screamed.

It's the hand slapping passive aggressive I have something to say that I won't say crap that I mean by "nothing". 

For the entirely of the orange beast's squat in the White House I was silent. I posted next to nothing, ever, on my public social media (Facebook) and never engaged. I refused to engage with the trump supporters I know - and over time unfollowed or unfriended them. It's not actual silence that I find disappointing. It's the refusing to actually say anything. 

My sister sends me text messages in response to anything I put on Facebook - and it's not even a lot. She is incapable of expressing an opinion for fear someone will not like her. Last night I told her to stop. I am done doing shit "in secret" so as to help people avoid having to take responsibility for themselves. Don't text me your outrage while publicly applauding the "be nice" bullshit fluff. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So what was the point in voting? 

Well, by passing the resolution they have shown that Pence is now ignoring a House resolution. They could now start holding hearings as to his refusal. He can be called to testify and explain— and his testimony could lead to all sorts of other things coming to light. Questions about Trump’s fitness for office would open up a can of worms...

They might hold off on such hearings just yet, and include them in the inevitable investigation into the treasonous plot to organize a coup.

Edited by fraurosena
There’s a difference between of and off
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 3

One thing that just came to mind: IF this was an inside job  and it looks like it was -- legislators giving recon tours of the Capitol Bldg, Proud Boys leaders visiting the WH (they were NOT on some f**king tour) and having lunch with Lindsey Graham, Lauren Boebert texting info on Pelosi's whereabouts, whatever else, do some of these legislators really, literally, deeply believe that the election was stolen?  That Trump must be kept in office by any means possible?  

I do believe that recently seated Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Qnut) believes in Stop the Steal and that the election was stolen.  She's QAnon, as is Marjorie Taylor Greene.  Of the two, I think Lauren Boebert is much further along the true fanatic continuum. 

I hope the House will censure & strip committee positions from members who refused to confirm the results of the electoral college.   They should refuse to seat Lauren Boebert after she refused to go through the metal detector when entering the Capitol Building yesterday. 

It's just sinking in, and continues to sink in, that we experienced an attempted coup a week ago and it came "THIS CLOSE" to being successful. 

This is a watershed time in our democracy.  I fear for the well being and very lives of Biden, Harris, Pelosi and others.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 27
  • Thank You 1

WTAF Rep Tom Cole?  (currently babbling in the house) (R - Oklahoma wearing an OU mask)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

RWNJs accuse Dems of having TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). They have AOCDS.

image.png.4fbd71df8a3856f4946f9ab5dbecf7a0.png

Edited to add: Ben Shapiro, who has long had a fixation on AOC, is about 5'4".

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 12
  • Thank You 5

10 minutes ago, Howl said:

They should refuse to seat Lauren Boebert after she refused to go through the metal detector when entering the Capitol Building yesterday. 

Woah! You’re kidding?!? Why was Boebert even allowed in the building if she didn’t go through security procedure?

Better question, was she trying to conceal additional weapons and explosives? Is that why she refused?

WTAF!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

Smith of Missouri (8th District - which is SE MO) - blah blah blah blah blah (gives me zero hope for my Rep - Hartzler by the way) - put the people first?  DUDE.  Seriously?  They would have HUNG Pence.

• I Agree 7

16 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

Why was Boebert even allowed in the building if she didn’t go through security procedure?

Well, that's the question of the day, isn't it. We are so deep into WTAF territory, I don't even know what to say. 

She very likely brought her Glock in, in her purse is my guess. 

Here's the thing: SHE TWEETED SHE WOULD DO IT, before she was sworn in, IIRC.  She needs to be shut down, STAT and required to do what everyone else is doing.  This woman is dangerous in so many ways.  

She has a history of misdemeanor cases with law enforcement, where she didn't bother to show up for court, which should tell you how she views law and order.   I just realized today that she might well be a narcissistic Trump mini-me.   

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 3

I'm sorry for all of you in Missouri who have Jason Smith as your representative. That guy is a fucking asshole. "Put the people over politics" because a woman lost her life last week. You mean the terrorist trying to break in? Fuck off, dude. ETA: not a word about the officer who lost his life defending the capitol.

And if you want the "people's voice to be heard" then you can support doing away with the electoral college so we can strictly go by the popular vote. 

Edited by Ticklish
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

We're "RUSHING" this seems to be the party line.  Cole said that.  Now Mace is saying that. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

43 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Have to tell you, this just made my day! 

Also, stuff like this is why I love Twitter so hard: 

From: Driftglass, The Rememberer of Inconvenient History @Mr._Electrico

After Trump the GOP faces the same existential problem it has always had. If they actually purge the party of the bigots and imbeciles and gun nuts and homophobes and xenophobes and Christopaths and various subspecies of paranoid lunatics......all that's left are several thousand rich assholes bitching about taxes...As I wrote the DAY AFTER Trump came slithering down the escalator, the problem with the Republican Party is that Trump IS the Republican Party.

17 minutes ago, clueliss said:

We're "RUSHING" this seems to be the party line.  Cole said that.  Now Mace is saying that. 

This is the particular genius of the Republican mastery of messaging: They develop a talking point and stick to it uniformly with great discipline, so that it continues to be amplified at all levels via social media and mainstream media. It's brutally effective at disseminating a consistent message to create a unified front for leaders and followers alike. 

Democrats just can't seem to work messaging in the same consistent way. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Ugh--my meme with the "Stop the Steel and "Electric Collage" was photoshopped.  Sorry for posting. I normally check those things before I post!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 12

I tried watching but can't. The Republicans are all the filthiest, most arrogant & nastiest humans I've ever encountered in any way. The lies, the manipulation, the self serving fiction coming from them makes me want to vomit. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 14
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

DC is looking at restricting and/or closing hotels during that period.

I hope the Navy recalls him to active duty because they can then charge him and take away his pension.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

Some dispatches from the DMV area! 

My workplace is closing for the inauguration. We’re nowhere near downtown but don’t want to encourage people to be on the metro or traveling that day. My plan is to not leave the house and be a safe spot if my friends who live downtown need to escape. My friends who live near the capitol area have an evacuation plan. It’s weird and scary. 

Airbnb has cancelled all reservations for the week BUT VRBO.com has a ton of them still listed and hotels are still open (for now) so I’m afraid it’s not going to do a ton of good. Unfortunately I think a lot of people renting out their spaces are putting money over the safety of us all. 

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

RWNJs accuse Dems of having TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). They have AOCDS.

image.png.4fbd71df8a3856f4946f9ab5dbecf7a0.png

This is unfortunately a fake tweet but also very believable. ?

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

220 yea 205 nay 2 D NV 6 R NV on the current question  - no time remaining.

Now voting on rules of impeachment

• Thank You 11

10 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Debate to begin at 12:15 Eastern time on the actual impeachment

I’m NERVOUS. How does everyone think this is going to go?

• Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic