IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

I’m struggling moving on after last weeks events and the responses.  How can anyone defend the actions, how did thousands of people stand on Capitol Hill and watch/listen to this happen and say it was a peaceful riot, how is anyone still supporting Trump?

I find myself spending the day just reading everything. Refreshing the news late into night/early morning just certain that there is something I’m missing.

I want to take my kids and find a town and church where there are no Trump supporters.  I want someone to explain to me why it was okay, why any of it was okay from declaring voter fraud to still posting about Trump as if nothing happened.

why is there comparison to BLM, why are they crying over a private business saying no you can’t be here and why are people going back to their lives as if the world is the same today as it was a week ago.

So thank you all for sharing and talking. And think you for posting all the info of arrests and charges and job losses.  It gives me hope that soon the pro-Trump voice will be silenced.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 21

16 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Daniel is such a funkiller. :(

He is, but take comfort in the fact that there will be plenty of trumpsters freaking out about being on the no-fly list in the future.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

Just now, GreyhoundFan said:

He is, but take comfort in the fact that there will be plenty of trumpsters freaking out about being on the no-fly list in the future.

I never actually thought it was a no-fly list thing tbh, because it was too soon for them to be on it and it's a process, but I still enjoyed it knowing it was probably not no-fly. 

• Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, KWLand said:

I’m struggling moving on after last weeks events and the responses.  How can anyone defend the actions, how did thousands of people stand on Capitol Hill and watch/listen to this happen and say it was a peaceful riot, how is anyone still supporting Trump?

This may sound harsh, but it's a good thing you're finding it hard to move on after last weeks events. Because nobody should be moving on from what happened, before taking decisive and punitive and preventative actions against them.
How can anyone defend the actions? Easily. Either they have been brainwashed into cult-thinking, or they are (thinking they are ) profiting off a coup.
How can people watch/listen and say it was peaceful? I don't think anyone is actually saying that. 
How is anyone still supporting Trump? Same answer as to the defending actions question.

38 minutes ago, KWLand said:

I want someone to explain to me why it was okay, why any of it was okay from declaring voter fraud to still posting about Trump as if nothing happened.

I don't want anyone to explain to me why it was okay. And you shouldn't either. Because it wasn't ok. It wasn't ok at all, and there is no logical, fact-based answer that could even remotely explain that it was.

40 minutes ago, KWLand said:

why is there comparison to BLM, why are they crying over a private business saying no you can’t be here and why are people going back to their lives as if the world is the same today as it was a week ago.

Deflection and distraction. They want you to move on. They want you to believe it's ok. So they employ 'whataboutism' (and racism). And they certainly do not want to be confronted with the consequences of their actions. But you should not be going back to business as usual, although I can understand why people want to turn their heads away from this scary thing confronting them. It's the easy way out. A lot of people don't have the gumption, or believe they have the agency to do anything about it, and so they'd rather stick their heads in the sand. 

45 minutes ago, KWLand said:

So thank you all for sharing and talking. And think you for posting all the info of arrests and charges and job losses.  It gives me hope that soon the pro-Trump voice will be silenced.

Yep, this is a pretty good place to be. We like sharing and verifying information. We share our anxiety and frustration, and our fears and our hopes. We like to educate ourselves and each other too. We love to hear differing insights and views.

So welcome! I hope you stay a while at least and that you keep on posting.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 9

17 minutes ago, KWLand said:

I find myself spending the day just reading everything. Refreshing the news late into night/early morning just certain that there is something I’m missing.

I want to take my kids and find a town and church where there are no Trump supporters.  I want someone to explain to me why it was okay, why any of it was okay from declaring voter fraud to still posting about Trump as if nothing happened.

Just a note to let you know you are not alone. I find myself unable to tear myself away from doomscrolling, looking for reason and solace where there is none.  I was the same way after 9/11, this feels even worse because it is coming from our own countrymen.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 12

Trump is dicking around with pardons.  It will be glorious if he dicks around long enough,  gambles on a self pardon, everything goes to total hell and he forgets/doesn't give enough of a shit to pardon Jarvanka and the Failsons.  

Please note that the following is ALL RELATIVE TO TRUMP, not a normal baseline metric: 

He made a statement today and is taking zero responsibility, of course. What I'm finding fascinating is Trump seems more composed and coherent than in the past, when he's rambled, ranted, slurred his speech, whatever.  When he was forced to give his "concession" speech by aides, he struggled less with the teleprompter, not great, of course, but not a complete disaster.  So what's up with that?  Maybe the entire insurrection recharged him. 

That said, he's a malignant narcissist who is decompensating and the inevitable happens and he's out on his ass. 

Lindsey Graham cut the cord today and said enough is enough.  I've had way more than enough of Vichy Lindsey, so fuck him.  It's too late, way too late. 

• Upvote 18

I agree with @KWLand about this being difficult to move past and appreciate @fraurosena's reply.  I also have been meaning to say that I'm extremely grateful to the mods and the members who have kept the political threads up and going.  I'm not sure what I would have done this past week without this board.  It's been a place to get information and to vent and to occasionally laugh.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 11

Out of context? Seriously?

image.png.f39dd5ab5760f0233f2aa376d5df6aac.png

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 29
  • Thank You 3

23 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Deflection and distraction. They want you to move on. They want you to believe it's ok. So they employ 'whataboutism' (and racism). And they certainly do not want to be confronted with the consequences of their actions. But you should not be going back to business as usual, although I can understand why people want to turn their heads away from this scary thing confronting them. It's the easy way out. A lot of people don't have the gumption, or believe they have the agency to do anything about it, and so they'd rather stick their heads in the sand. 

If I had a dollar for every time I saw "what about", I could buy a new car!  I am so tired of it. How can one compare what happened with what we saw. It was the storming of the Bastille. They were trying to overthrow the government, not loot a shoe store for some new Nikes. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

Lindsey Graham cut the cord today and said enough is enough.  I've had way more than enough of Vichy Lindsey, so fuck him.  It's too late, way too late. 

Did he? He is flying to Texas with Trump.

• WTF 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Out of context? Seriously?

image.png.f39dd5ab5760f0233f2aa376d5df6aac.png

WTF is he talking about? Out of context? Just what part of "Hang Pence" confused him? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

It's a good thing Parler had crappy developers:

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 7

30 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

This may sound harsh, but it's a good thing you're finding it hard to move on after last weeks events. Because nobody should be moving on from what happened, before taking decisive and punitive and preventative actions against them.
How can anyone defend the actions? Easily. Either they have been brainwashed into cult-thinking, or they are (thinking they are ) profiting off a coup.
How can people watch/listen and say it was peaceful? I don't think anyone is actually saying that. 
How is anyone still supporting Trump? Same answer as to the defending actions question.

I don't want anyone to explain to me why it was okay. And you shouldn't either. Because it wasn't ok. It wasn't ok at all, and there is no logical, fact-based answer that could even remotely explain that it was.

Yep, this is a pretty good place to be. We like sharing and verifying information. We share our anxiety and frustration, and our fears and our hopes. We like to educate ourselves and each other too. We love to hear differing insights and views.

So welcome! I hope you stay a while at least and that you keep on posting.

Thank you so much.  Sadly I had (note past tense) people on Facebook say it was peaceful and they saw no sign of the conflict media posted and if there was it was Antifa.  There were people I admired, looked up to as mentors, we’re glad they were part of my life.  It was a hit to the gut.  We live about 10 minutes from Reagan’s birth place and you can’t drive through town without seeing something Reagan related so I knew moving here it was going to be filled with Republicans, but their actions spoke to me louder than their political leanings.   Then the friends who stayed on my social media were quiet about their Trump support until last week.

There have been some fundies who have said it but I was less shocked.  I think most have since acknowledged there was violence but have still out blame elsewhere.  Since I unfriended all of my IRL people who I posted about above, they may have also changed their tune-but I’m not expecting much.

thanks again for the sincere response.  

Edited by KWLand
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

I had a good laugh yesterday when I learned of the White Hat Parler hack.  (bad coding, and someone pissed off the dark web)

Woman calls out neighbor.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

Over the summer (when Covid numbers were down) we went to Rapid City (prior to Trumps appearance)  and went to the Presidential wax museum (don’t recommend btw) and Bush’s display was from 9/11.  The 18 year old and I tried to figure out why the nation seemed to come together after those events, but Covid guidelines were tearing the nation apart.  It was about a five minute discussion with the agreement that social media and news were the big reasons with trump basking in the division being a close behind.

I think we would both add now racism.  The common enemy from 9/11 didn’t look like the majority of the people who died.  Whereas last week was brothers, sisters and friends/other family.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

7 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I had a good laugh yesterday when I learned of the White Hat Parler hack.  (bad coding, and someone pissed off the dark web)

Woman calls out neighbor.

How f-ing flippant of her as if this were nothing. Hope she never works again. Private jet.... she is really suffering. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

The officer that was killed was repeatedly bludgeoned in the head and neck with a fire extinguisher.  Trump still hasn't called the family. Someone needs to remind him that Manson wasn't at the Tate house that night but still got a life sentence.

• Upvote 21
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 5

I was horrified that people could support Trump as a president that God chose. It didn't seem it could get worse. How can people see what happened after Trump's inciting the crowds and not at least doubt him?They don't have to want him impeached or removed from office (although they should), but how can they still believe he's perfect?  So many still support his every action and word. How much more damage will he do and they will still sing his praises? Those supporters are totally irrational, just like Trump. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

And someone from CFD was at the insurrection.

I live in the chicago area. I am not on twitter though. hopefully its on Facebook. 

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic