IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

4 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

My state is sending National Guard troops to help out with the Inauguration and has Air National Guard  on standby.

I had to watch Lester Holt/evening news for some reason he calms me and right now I will take that.  Maybe the yoga helped too.

All day long I watch CNN, but at 6:30 I turn to Lester Holt on NBC for the exact same reason. I grew up watching Walter Cronkite in the 60s and 70s, and somehow Lester Holt gives me the same sense of calm and the feeling that things WILL be okay, even if they're not okay today, as Cronkite did when I was a kid. Of course, Cronkite looked almost exactly like my grandpa, so that had a lot to do with it! But seriously, there really is something just...reassuring about Lester Holt.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, AprilCameron said:

Seems to be.

So we’re doing lots of reading because COVID. Even more than usual. 

While I’ve enjoyed the Kay Scarpetta series I need something new (and less murdery) to explore. Preferably fiction and not serial. 

Any ideas? Thank you very much, 

shameless plug for my book... https://www.bookdepository.com/Things-We-Cant-Undo-Gabrielle-Reid/9781925736045?ref=grid-view&qid=1610484476420&sr=1-2

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Same. Our lives & situations are different, but I have been unable to move on. I'm angry, scared, overwhelmed, confused as hell. What's more, I'm appalled at the lack of anyone talking about it. I mean, like, my FB feed is full of fluff - and you can tell everyone is going fluff to intentionally avoid it. I don't have a lot of trumpers on my feed - I unfollowed or unfriended all over the past four miserable years. So, those I do see posts from are hiding from it. Mostly, cool, I guess; do what you gotta' do but I am flummoxed about how many are willing to bury their head in the sand. I've been hand slapped by people wanting to keep the peace. To that I say - F*ck you. I've been silent for four years to keep the peace & not piss anyone off or start anything or blah, blah, blah. Now is not the time for silence or for keeping the peace among people who want to whine that you are opposed to trump & insurrections. I don't think anyone should start being like trumpers have been the past four years and get in your face and bully others - but jesus effing christ, people, these people tried - and will continue to try - to kill people & destroy our democracy and you have nothing to say about it because it might hurt a trumper's feelings? 

I mostly spend my social media time on Twitter because there are actual conversations happening there. 

(Disclaimer: not American, but) I have posted nothing on my main Facebook account or Twitter feed. I’m doomscrolling, obsessively checking here, and sharing articles or memes with some people in private groups, but saying very little. It’s hard to know what, exactly, to say. Obviously I condemn what happened and the people who did it, I’m horrified by Trump himself, and afraid of the days/weeks/months to come, but words seem inadequate and there is so MUCH wrong that I don’t even know where to start. Plus, inauguration hasn’t happened yet, arrests are still happening, no politicians have yet been charged with treason, so in a very real sense it’s still happening and there’s a kind of “freeze” response, an inability to process it while it’s still happening iykwim. Not saying this is the case for your friends, particularly if they’re shutting down other discussion of it and being like “can we just move on”, but I just wanted to give my 2c on how silence isn’t necessarily apathy.

The whole thing still feels so weird. Every time in my lifetime there’s been a terrorist attack or disaster in a Western democratic country, the leader of that country has come out to speak and reassure the people, hold a press conference etc. But this time the leader is on the side of the terrorists. I can’t wrap my head around it.

What day is it over there, still Tuesday? Any news on the impeachment process? (I should check the House thread I suppose.)

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 8

30 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

My state is sending National Guard troops to help out with the Inauguration and has Air National Guard  on standby.

I had to watch Lester Holt/evening news for some reason he calms me and right now I will take that.  Maybe the yoga helped too.

Sending virtual tacos ? to lift your spirits. 

And yes. Lester Holt rocks. He seems like such a sweetheart. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Yes. I was on MeWe briefly last year, hoping it would turn out to be an alternative to FB,  but only two friends of mine were there and it was definitely being overrun by MAGAts

That's what will happen if there is a social media platform , or message board , that allows anyone to post whatever they want with impunity . Even if the site isn't initially set up specifically to cater to the likes of neo-Nazis , such an extreme element will tend to dominate by bullying others off of the forum .  So that's why there needs to be terms of use , in order to ensure civil discourse , as well as lawful conduct . 

• Upvote 14

Today was the first time I was willing to go out since early last week.  Every time I hear a siren I momentarily wonder if all hell is starting to break loose again. 

I'm glad I went out.  Went for a walk, then shopping.  Weather was good.  Nothing bad happened.  Didn't see anyone who looked like a monster.  People actually seemed to be more subdued and considerate than usual...I'm guessing because no one wants to be shaken up again.

January 20th can't come quickly enough and it would be nice if more COVID vaccines could become available soon.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 16

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

And get every priest in DC to bless the place!

After Biden takes over but before he moves in he should have the Air Force send up a air tanker full of Holy Water and have them drop the water on the White House like fuck nugget wanted to do when Notre Dame was on fire.

Have a Hafiz perform an 'aza'im (the Islamic version of Exorcism) on the White House.  Along with the equivalent of having Catholic exorcism performed on the White House by every major religious organization out there. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

A contract for $37,975 was awarded to an Annapolis, Maryland, company for the removal of trash and recycling, "per the scope of work in relation to the 2021 Inauguration."

Presumably this includes the human trash, otherwise how on earth?

• Upvote 10

Incredibly sad. His family, and especially his wife who found him, will never be the same. 

45 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Suicide of an insurrectionist

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

This is incredibly sad. His family, especially his wife who found his body, will never be the same. 

Are you talking about Raskin? He is my representative and a wonderful person. Breaks my heart 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

After Biden takes over but before he moves in he should have the Air Force send up a air tanker full of Holy Water and have them drop the water on the White House like fuck nugget wanted to do when Notre Dame was on fire.

Have a Hafiz perform an 'aza'im (the Islamic version of Exorcism) on the White House.  Along with the equivalent of having Catholic exorcism performed on the White House by every major religious organization out there. 

Hope they make sure to look for boogers under the desk in the Oval Office.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

Another BT found out the rather hard way that being a fuckstick can have negative consequences on one's career.

A Savannah, Georgia, man is no longer employed by a local car dealership, only days after he attended the violent riot at the Capitol building.

In a statement released Monday, Vaden Automotive President Jane Vaden Thacher said, "Vaden Automotive has separated from Dominic Box. We are no longer affiliated with him in any way and we are not at liberty to discuss employment matters."

The Current first broke the story Sunday that Box, 31, was fired from Vaden Nissan following the deadly riot.

Social media postings from that day appear to show him inside the Capitol building after it was overrun by protesters.

Of course members of the party of personal responsibility are whining about this now on the dealer's FB page.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

I’m seeing reports that McConnell may be supporting impeachment. Specifically that he believe Trump committed impeachable offenses.  Started hearing this some time after Liz Cheney cut loose with a statement.  

Rachel Maddow right now is saying there may be 20 Senate Republicans who support impeachment.  

For all the good it will do, I did email my Rep (Hartlzer, supported the move to exclude votes) and one Senator (Blunt, who certified the election).  I’m not bothering with Hawley because he’s a giant ass.

There’s also this

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

From the WaPo: Trumpist masculinity reaches its high water mark

The best line is this:  "They had come vowing to overturn the election, but at the first hint they might experience consequences for their actions, they assumed the posture of tourists who had accidentally gotten in line for Insurrection Mountain at the Magic Kingdom."

There's no chicken exit if you get in line for Insurrection Mountain, guys. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 29
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I’m seeing reports that McConnell may be supporting impeachment. Specifically that he believe Trump committed impeachable offenses.  Started hearing this some time after Liz Cheney cut loose with a statement.  

Rachel Maddow right now is saying there may be 20 Senate Republicans who support impeachment.  

For all the good it will do, I did email my Rep (Hartlzer, supported the move to exclude votes) and one Senator (Blunt, who certified the election).  I’m not bothering with Hawley because he’s a giant ass.

There’s also this

Yeah I wouldn’t want Hawley to be aware of my existence.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

14 hours ago, Howl said:

So, You're saying we need WTAF or WTAGDF. 

WTAELF is good too.

8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

How f-ing flippant of her as if this were nothing. Hope she never works again. Private jet.... she is really suffering. 

Yeah this is what I am not getting. Which part of breaking windows in a federal building did she think was all going to be fun and games? At the very least it's vandalism.

7 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Yes. I was on MeWe briefly last year, hoping it would turn out to be an alternative to FB,  but only two friends of mine were there and it was definitely being overrun by MAGAts

I keep reading it as "more sheep" (m is an abbreviation for more used a lot in my work; ewe... is obvious) which is making me giggle.

Also The military has a hate group problem. But it isn't sure how big it is.

Well... that's reassuring.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

Fantastic. What happens now?

Nothing. Pence already said he won’t do it and Congress can’t force him. They just need to shelve this and focus on impeachment.

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
A word
  • Upvote 11
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 4

29 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

Fantastic. What happens now?

Nothing. Unless Mother tells Pence to man up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic