IGNORED

Lawson Bates 5: Thinking He Knows What He's Doing

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

I think there's a competition on who can cuddle the best in pictures ?

I honestly think this might be a possibility. Who can get closer to kissing their girlfriend? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I think a long time ago Gothard cautioned against adoption due to 'sins of the father' but it doesn't seem to have had a lasting impact. Many fundamentalist families seem to have adopted from overseas in the past as well.  I don't think it's an issue for them anymore.

And, of course, Kelly has adopted siblings as well.

Gothard was against adoption. Officially due to sins of the father. More likely Gothard was worried that adopted children would be harder to control and also it's hard to adopt when you already have a full quiver. Bill Gothard didn't invent Quiverfull, but he wanted his followers to have as many children as possible. 

Most fundies don't seem too against adoption. They see as a) pro-life and b) a good way to keep expanding the quiver, especially if there are fertility issues. 

Kelly Bates, on the other hand, actually seems to have issues with adoption.  She pushed adopted daughter-in-law Whitney towards patching up the relationship with the bio parents, because of her views' on adoption. Kelly also has never seemed close with the adopted sisters and the relationship seems to be strained. Although Kelly has bio siblings, she's never seemed close with them.

I hope that the Bates are good to Tiffany and they aren't rude to her for things like being adopted. Most fundies show a lack of understanding or empathy for people who are different from them. Kelly seems like a bad mother-in-law at best. Another reason this relationship doesn't last! 

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Gothard was against adoption. Officially due to sins of the father. More likely Gothard was worried that adopted children would be harder to control and also it's hard to adopt when you already have a full quiver. Bill Gothard didn't invent Quiverfull, but he wanted his followers to have as many children as possible. 

Most fundies don't seem too against adoption. They see as a) pro-life and b) a good way to keep expanding the quiver, especially if there are fertility issues. 

Kelly Bates, on the other hand, actually seems to have issues with adoption.  She pushed adopted daughter-in-law Whitney towards patching up the relationship with the bio parents, because of her views' on adoption. Kelly also has never seemed close with the adopted sisters and the relationship seems to be strained. Although Kelly has bio siblings, she's never seemed close with them.

I hope that the Bates are good to Tiffany and they aren't rude to her for things like being adopted. Most fundies show a lack of understanding or empathy for people who are different from them. Kelly seems like a bad mother-in-law at best. Another reason this relationship doesn't last! 

Her mother adopted her 2 younger sisters when Kelly was already an adult and out of the home. So that alone could explain her not being close to them to be honest.

• Upvote 13

A lot of IBLP followers didn't follow Gothard on the adoption thing. When I adopted my two girls, the numbers of fundy couples on the list was astounding. They seemed to think adopting from Asia was more palatable to domestic adoption or other countries (partially due to money and time for some). 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Her mother adopted her 2 younger sisters when Kelly was already an adult and out of the home. So that alone could explain her not being close to them to be honest.

Or that the two girls adopted were both African-American and Kelly had that wall of Confederate generals including grand wizar of the KKK. That probably would have a lot to do with why their not close. It was not taken down because Kelly saw the light. It was taken down because people kept asking them about it. She original tried to claim it was a "Patriot" room. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

A lot of IBLP followers didn't follow Gothard on the adoption thing. When I adopted my two girls, the numbers of fundy couples on the list was astounding. They seemed to think adopting from Asia was more palatable to domestic adoption or other countries (partially due to money and time for some). 

Part of it is salvation. I adopted my kids with a non-profit Christian group. "Kid saving" adoptions were big for a while. Kid collecting--like Angelina Joile. LOL but with the Bible. Still, most of the parents were 100% sincere in wanting the child, too, though.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Or that the two girls adopted were both African-American and Kelly had that wall of Confederate generals including grand wizar of the KKK. That probably would have a lot to do with why their not close. It was not taken down because Kelly saw the light. It was taken down because people kept asking them about it. She original tried to claim it was a "Patriot" room. 

Sure it is also possible that is a big inflluence too, but as @Bluebirdbluebell also mentioned Kelly doesnt seem close either with her white biological siblings.

• Upvote 5

On 2/5/2021 at 8:24 AM, Nothing if not critical said:

Tiffany is 22 and Lawson is 28. Not much of a problem in my book (especially considering his mental age which is more like 14), but ymmv.

not a huge age difference given that they're a little older (vs Josie/Kelton who are only 4y apart but super weird at his 23 to her 19 when they married....or his 19 to her 15 in their creepy early stage...) but Tiffany is still quite young. At least she's done things in life that she can claim all for herself. it does make me chuckle that Lawson is a year older than Nathan, but his gf is younger than Nathan's lol.

what shall we call them? Tiffson? Tiffawson, Lawffy? Lawsany?  ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

not a huge age difference given that they're a little older (vs Josie/Kelton who are only 4y apart but super weird at his 23 to her 19 when they married....or his 19 to her 15 in their creepy early stage...) but Tiffany is still quite young. At least she's done things in life that she can claim all for herself. it does make me chuckle that Lawson is a year older than Nathan, but his gf is younger than Nathan's lol.

Lawful aka awful lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, llucie said:

Sure it is also possible that is a big inflluence too, but as @Bluebirdbluebell also mentioned Kelly doesnt seem close either with her white biological siblings.

I also said that Kelly seems to have problems with adoption.  I think it would be hard for any woman to have Kelly as a mother-in-law, but the adoption and possibly racism might make this harder. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I also said that Kelly seems to have problems with adoption.  I think it would be hard for any woman to have Kelly as a mother-in-law, but the adoption and possibly racism might make this harder. 

I agree, specially because it will be dificult for any new sister in law to live up to Whitney. They all seem to adore her and its not going to be easy for the new ones. Specially if they dont conform to they rules as easily as Whitney did.

• Upvote 12

13 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I'd look askance at a 21 and 28 year old couple a lot more than a 19 and 23 year old one. 19, 21, and 23 are all in the same life stage of very early adulthood ("college age" for lack of a better term).  Late 20s is something else, by then your brain is done developing and you're mostly a real adult. I had a fling with a 19 year old when I was 23 but at 28 I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a 21 year old. 

I've always heard the "half your age +7" rule for the lowest acceptable age for someone you can date, and 21 + 28 is exactly at that limit. 19 + 23 fits in it a lot more comfortably.  At least Tiffany has some experience in the world, a lot more than say Katie Bates. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'd look askance at a 21 and 28 year old couple a lot more than a 19 and 23 year old one. 19, 21, and 23 are all in the same life stage of very early adulthood ("college age" for lack of a better term).  Late 20s is something else, by then your brain is done developing and you're mostly a real adult. I had a fling with a 19 year old when I was 23 but at 28 I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a 21 year old. 

I've always heard the "half your age +7" rule for the lowest acceptable age for someone you can date, and 21 + 28 is exactly at that limit. 19 + 23 fits in it a lot more comfortably.  At least Tiffany has some experience in the world, a lot more than say Katie Bates. 

23/2 =11.5 +7 =18.5 is not much better than 28/2=14+7=21. 
Both seem about the same to me quite honestly, and dependent a lot on individual maturity/experiences...

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I vote for "Lawsy"

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

21 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

If we’re gonna have Travis and Katie be Travistie, then I feel like we also have to have Lawsany to go with it!

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Is it just me or does anyone else see a resemblance between Tiffany and Jane the Virgin Lady, Gina Rodrigues? I know they have different ethnic backgrounds but I do see similarities. Both pretty ladies btw and just for the record. I was a huge JTV fan too. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 2/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This is a popular theory, but there's no real evidence that Kelly is behind Whitney reuniting with her bio parents. 

I think any strained relationship between Kelly Jo and her adopted siblings could also be because she's racist and they're fully aware of it. They were also adopted after Kelly had gotten married and moved out, and are a lot younger than her.

She's never made any public comments disparaging adoption- there are actually old posts on the now-defunct Bates family blog where she talks about how wonderful it is that the Dempster family adopted from Guatemala and Ethiopia. Easier to save souls that way!

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1

WHITNEY BATES WAS NOT ADOPTED. This is a common misunderstanding. She temporarily lived with another family during her teen years, but there is no indication authorities were ever involved. She was friends with one of the daughters I believe. 

But she absolutely wasn’t adopted. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Thus far Lawson has posted two videos with Tiffany, and both of them are largely of her forgetting or not knowing something and him correcting her. In the most recent video he also cuts her out of the frame most of the time so we can see his face more. It’s giving me a bad feeling about their dynamic. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

WHITNEY BATES WAS NOT ADOPTED. This is a common misunderstanding. She temporarily lived with another family during her teen years, but there is no indication authorities were ever involved. She was friends with one of the daughters I believe. 

But she absolutely wasn’t adopted. 

According to Fundie Wiki,

At the age of thirteen, Whitney was placed into foster care for unknown reasons. She was taken in by Johnny and Lydia Owens, the parents of her deceased friend Laklee Owens. When Whitney was sixteen, the Owens were granted full custody of Whitney. Due to her age, she opted not to change her last name to Owens. The Owens family adopted a total of eleven children, including Whitney.[1]

I am suspicious of the idea you could live with someone for years and not have the authorities involved. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

58 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

Thus far Lawson has posted two videos with Tiffany, and both of them are largely of her forgetting or not knowing something and him correcting her. In the most recent video he also cuts her out of the frame most of the time so we can see his face more. It’s giving me a bad feeling about their dynamic. 

Yeah I'm getting really bad vibes from this relationship. I suspect he deliberately looked for someone who was quite a bit younger than him so he could be more dominant in the relationship. He's a jackass under the best of circumstances so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

The Sun Newspaper, announced Lawson's relationship with the heading Jana Duggar's ex announces relationship then said it was never confirmed him and Jana were ever an item just speculated and barely even that, it's the sun the truth never stopped them when it comes to headlines, their actions following Hillsborough disaster means most of Liverpool still boycott them 32 years later but I found it hilarious that Lawson isn't even the centre of the story announcing his relationship and that would hurt his ego if he ever saw the story. 

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic