Jump to content
IGNORED

Plathville 2: The Whole Family Needs Therapy


nelliebelle1197

Recommended Posts

New episode was pretty boring. Micah’s having lots of sex. Moriah’s getting out of her slump, Ethan an Olivia work on cars. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"As soon as he thought maybe it was working, he stopped trying. And once I realized that, I feel like emotionally, I was just done. I just feel like there's no way it's going to work." Been there with my divorce. I'm not saying I buy the sad face entirely, I just never expected to relate to Kim Plath...at all. 

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ethan doesn’t like how public his mom is being about the separation?! Uh, Ethan, have you seen the show? 

  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This family is just some kind of different. Here I was thinking oh a more honest version of the Duggars would be nice. These guys I don't know, so many of them seem so shallow and contrived. I don't quite know who to root for or how. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just can’t roll my eyes enough at Kim and Barry. 

  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These people are Morton buds. That right there tells anyone all they need to know about them. When they first got a show I didn't know who they were. Someone else mentioned the Morton connection. I went back & read a bunch of the old Morton blog and there they are, all over it; in weddings, helping cook & clean, at the balls, Mortons asking for prayers for the baby that died...

Once I read all that, I knew I'd never watch the show, even out of curiosity. 

I am not immune to so-called reality television. I have a guilty pleasure or two. But I just cannot give any time or energy to fundies with tv shows. The fact that they're given a platform disturbs me. 

  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kim just wanted fame and fortune. And now that she got it, she can dump Barry and start dating around. I can’t stand both parents. But Kim is so selfish it kills me. 

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the only clip I've ever seen of them, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kim just wanted fame and fortune. And now that she got it, she can dump Barry and start dating around. I can’t stand both parents. But Kim is so selfish it kills me. 

This is interesting. I watched the first episode only and it was Barry who rubbed me the wrong way. He was so gleeful about his stupid rules that isolated the family. 

But.

There are a lot of mothers in fundie families that are legit selfish. Much of the social media and reality fame around these families is rooted in the moms wanting some sort of special kudos for their role as stay at home/homeschooling mothers that they perceive "the world" does not give them. It's a weird dynamic because they ignore the fact that many, many paid jobs are thankless and exhausting. Somehow stay at home mom-ness is contrasted with a high-level, high-profile professional career versus more regular jobs/careers.

 

ETA Feeling compelled to add that I wish our society did a better job honoring the caregivers. IMO, the at-home caregiver (for children, elderly parents, the disabled) should have access to health insurance independent of their spouses, for example. So that idea that at-home caregivers are under-valued is accurate. But working caregivers are also undervalued. And, really, what needs to happen is access to healthcare and retirement funds and possibly stipends for people out of the workforce because of caregiving responsibilities. 

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, noseybutt said:

This is interesting. I watched the first episode only and it was Barry who rubbed me the wrong way. He was so gleeful about his stupid rules that isolated the family. 

But.

There are a lot of mothers in fundie families that are legit selfish. Much of the social media and reality fame around these families is rooted in the moms wanting some sort of special kudos for their role as stay at home/homeschooling mothers that they perceive "the world" does not give them. It's a weird dynamic because they ignore the fact that many, many paid jobs are thankless and exhausting. Somehow stay at home mom-ness is contrasted with a high-level, high-profile professional career versus more regular jobs/careers.

 

ETA Feeling compelled to add that I wish our society did a better job honoring the caregivers. IMO, the at-home caregiver (for children, elderly parents, the disabled) should have access to health insurance independent of their spouses, for example. So that idea that at-home caregivers are under-valued is accurate. But working caregivers are also undervalued. And, really, what needs to happen is access to healthcare and retirement funds and possibly stipends for people out of the workforce because of caregiving responsibilities. 

I’m a SAHM and my own mother just made a pretty big dig at me over it recently. And I was fuming. She’s a work work work mentality of a person. I’ve never given her shit over that fact. She loves to complain about how busy she is. Yet it’s always her choice. I prefer not to work work work and be constantly rushing to the next thing. I don’t overschedule my kids or myself. Yet she thinks that’s something to make digs at. Ugh. I’m still pissed obviously. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 27
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope hosanna is doing OK, but I have a feeling she’s gonna be really be the only fundie in the family

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never seen the show but from what I read here, and Micah's IG, which I glance at from time to time for the eye candy, I think Kim saw some of her older kids living their best lives and got a bit envious. And now the money from the TV show gives her a bit of freedom that she wouldn't have had before they were just another fundie singing troupe.

 

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I have never seen the show but from what I read here, and Micah's IG, which I glance at from time to time for the eye candy, I think Kim saw some of her older kids living their best lives and got a bit envious. And now the money from the TV show gives her a bit of freedom that she wouldn't have had before they were just another fundie singing troupe.

 

I think Kim also saw much of the negative backlash she and Barry received. It was probably a big punch to her fragile ego. I guarantee she’s trying to be more likable and garner some sympathy from audiences so they don’t hate on her so much. I of course don’t buy it. But people just watching casually probably do. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think Kim is much more sensitive to the criticism than Barry is. I could see it mattering more to her to be liked and popular than it does to Barry. Does the show ever go into how fundie Kim and Barry were raised? I just noticed neither Kim nor Barry was particularly young when they got married. Barry was 30 and Kim was 25, my general cut off to be considered "not young" when it comes to marrying. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a thought
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I do think Kim is much more sensitive to the criticism than Barry is. I could see it mattering more to her to be liked and popular than it does to Barry. Does the show ever go into how fundie Kim and Barry were raised? I just noticed neither Kim nor Barry was particularly young when they got married. Barry was 30 and Kim was 25, my general cut off to be considered "not young" when it comes to marrying. 

If I remember correctly, Kim was raised completely mainstream, went to college, was in a sorority, and partied it up. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, noseybutt said:

This is interesting. I watched the first episode only and it was Barry who rubbed me the wrong way. He was so gleeful about his stupid rules that isolated the family. 

But.

There are a lot of mothers in fundie families that are legit selfish. Much of the social media and reality fame around these families is rooted in the moms wanting some sort of special kudos for their role as stay at home/homeschooling mothers that they perceive "the world" does not give them. It's a weird dynamic because they ignore the fact that many, many paid jobs are thankless and exhausting. Somehow stay at home mom-ness is contrasted with a high-level, high-profile professional career versus more regular jobs/careers.

 

ETA Feeling compelled to add that I wish our society did a better job honoring the caregivers. IMO, the at-home caregiver (for children, elderly parents, the disabled) should have access to health insurance independent of their spouses, for example. So that idea that at-home caregivers are under-valued is accurate. But working caregivers are also undervalued. And, really, what needs to happen is access to healthcare and retirement funds and possibly stipends for people out of the workforce because of caregiving responsibilities. 

Bolding mine.

This. I have seen so many fundie women - and men, too - refer to themselves as CEO, having a PhD in...homemaking, fixing boo-boos, education, etc,.. Being professional chefs and household engineers So, so much more as well. It irks the hell out of me because it totally negates the work and education people put into life to actually BE nurses, doctors, CEO's, engineers, chefs, C

Clearly, they see value in those titles and accomplishments. They're just trying to fit their own octagon ideals into a square hole. They obviously see values in those accomplishments & titles but they can't make them work with their fundie choices. In one sentence, college is unnecessary and in the next, they call themselves a household PhD teacher or nurse or whatever. 

And I am not putting down parenthood or saying it's not hard work. But, no, fundies, you are not an engineer or nurse or teacher. You are a parent Just a parent. Even people with actual PhD's and master's degrees are also parents. 

I work in finance. Commercial construction, specifically. I manage funds  for commercial construction projects - hospitals, multi use complexes, apartments, offices, arenas, etc...anything that isn't a family home. It's hard work. I have to understand mortgages, community development & financing, interest rates, construction agreements, budgets, timelines; I have to know how to read & understand inspections &  appraisals. I have to do more math than my poor brain ever thought possible (note: I still have NO use for Algebra, even with the heavy mathematical load). I DO have  a college degree, but it is in print communication - as far from math & finance as  you can get. But, here's the thing. I have a Job. Just a job, not a career and not even a high level job at that. It took years of working my way up to get to where I am - over a decade, having started as an admin in an Underwriting department. I had to learn a LOT on my own. I had to put myself into scenarios to learn so I could do more, get promoted, move up, etc. These are things everyone does in a job, but I and most, don't consider myself an expert or to have a PhD level skill or hell, in my case not even a degree. But, I decided where I wanted to go and I worked to get there. (It pretty much sucks that I got the best job I've ever had with the best salary I've ever had in July of 2020 and I have been on leave since October 2021 & will never go back - but that's a different story). 

Sorry for all thee rambling. But, it truly bothers me the way people who don't value education pretend what they are doing is the most educated level of doing anything. If you feel bad about your level of education, go to school. Don't devalue what others spend years and thousand obtaining. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

This. I have seen so many fundie women - and men, too - refer to themselves as CEO, having a PhD in...homemaking, fixing boo-boos, education, etc,.. Being professional chefs and household engineers So, so much more as well. It irks the hell out of me because it totally negates the work and education people put into life to actually BE nurses, doctors, CEO's, engineers, chefs, C

I think it was actually in the 1950's when women who had worked during WWII were now told to stay home and let some deserving man have their job that the term "domestic engineer" first came into use. As a newly minted engineer that term, as well as "sanitation engineer" for garbage collector irked me. Not merely because I had worked my ass off to earn that credential whilst simultaneously raising my children, but also because garbage collectors and SAHMs/homemakers deserve respect for the work they do, forget the silly titles. 

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lydia is on Cameo now. I just can't with these people.

  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Bolding mine.

This. I have seen so many fundie women - and men, too - refer to themselves as CEO, having a PhD in...homemaking, fixing boo-boos, education, etc,.. Being professional chefs and household engineers So, so much more as well. It irks the hell out of me because it totally negates the work and education people put into life to actually BE nurses, doctors, CEO's, engineers, chefs, C

Clearly, they see value in those titles and accomplishments. They're just trying to fit their own octagon ideals into a square hole. They obviously see values in those accomplishments & titles but they can't make them work with their fundie choices. In one sentence, college is unnecessary and in the next, they call themselves a household PhD teacher or nurse or whatever. 

And I am not putting down parenthood or saying it's not hard work. But, no, fundies, you are not an engineer or nurse or teacher. You are a parent Just a parent. Even people with actual PhD's and master's degrees are also parents. 

I work in finance. Commercial construction, specifically. I manage funds  for commercial construction projects - hospitals, multi use complexes, apartments, offices, arenas, etc...anything that isn't a family home. It's hard work. I have to understand mortgages, community development & financing, interest rates, construction agreements, budgets, timelines; I have to know how to read & understand inspections &  appraisals. I have to do more math than my poor brain ever thought possible (note: I still have NO use for Algebra, even with the heavy mathematical load). I DO have  a college degree, but it is in print communication - as far from math & finance as  you can get. But, here's the thing. I have a Job. Just a job, not a career and not even a high level job at that. It took years of working my way up to get to where I am - over a decade, having started as an admin in an Underwriting department. I had to learn a LOT on my own. I had to put myself into scenarios to learn so I could do more, get promoted, move up, etc. These are things everyone does in a job, but I and most, don't consider myself an expert or to have a PhD level skill or hell, in my case not even a degree. But, I decided where I wanted to go and I worked to get there. (It pretty much sucks that I got the best job I've ever had with the best salary I've ever had in July of 2020 and I have been on leave since October 2021 & will never go back - but that's a different story). 

Sorry for all thee rambling. But, it truly bothers me the way people who don't value education pretend what they are doing is the most educated level of doing anything. If you feel bad about your level of education, go to school. Don't devalue what others spend years and thousand obtaining. 

The thing is, managing a household and raising children can be complicated depending on the family and circumstances. I had my moments when I was a SAHM when it was intense--not just multiple children but if one had a serious health crisis and husband was needed to work long hours, for instance. I am not one to belittle how much work being a SAHM can be.

But, being a working parent is also work.

Any way you do it...it's work.

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, noseybutt said:

The thing is, managing a household and raising children can be complicated depending on the family and circumstances. I had my moments when I was a SAHM when it was intense--not just multiple children but if one had a serious health crisis and husband was needed to work long hours, for instance. I am not one to belittle how much work being a SAHM can be.

But, being a working parent is also work.

Any way you do it...it's work.

Of course it's work and I said I was not putting down parenting. But it not a PhD in engineering or a Nursing. It is parenting. And by claiming you're some highly educated person in every field belittles not only the jobs you're claiming, but also parenting itself. 

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.