IGNORED

Lawson Bates 5: Thinking He Knows What He's Doing

Coconut Flan

On 2/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Idlewild said:

Does Lawson have money? I assume he gets a cut from the show but does his singing pay much or does he do endorsements? 

His singing money (if any) seems to go back into the costs of recording and production. He's not signed with a label and has to buy his studio time, pay for the manufacturing of the CDs, his own website, and even his music videos (though some of that is done by bartering with local production people. 

Even is attempts at touring are done without the assistance of an actual label. Proof would be using Taryn to shoot his publicity shots - labels have lists of people they have arrangements with and pretty much stick to that list. Erin's done the same. She has said she pays for studio time, accompanists, and even had Chad do the photography and design of the cover.  

He's not the only person to ever do this. It's more popular now than before because it is relatively easy to do with technology. Like with self publishing a book, some people look at it as vanity projects because you can show off your book, CD, etc. and say you did that. But few people get money back off of it that is substantial. When you figure in the costs of everything, someone recording music might get a penny or two after expenses. You'd have to sell in the millions before you started getting a good return. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

2398FAD2-68CB-4409-8946-483111E550E3.thumb.jpeg.eee74a578a194b684e0fbeaeed6ff1b6.jpeg

guess they aren’t waiting to hold hands until they are engaged. 

for a second there, I thought she meant that they had been together for a year. I was about to praise Lawson for his ability to keep it under wraps... Stand Down Aussie no need he is still a show off tool who couldn't hide it, lol.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Lawson posted a story where Tiffany is driving and singing along to Taylor swift "22" and he tells her to pay attention, but just the way he said it, I'm now guaranteeing there not gonna last and he honestly seems like he doesn't enjoy being in a relationship, he just likes being single. 

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, raayx01 said:

Lawson posted a story where Tiffany is driving and singing along to Taylor swift "22" and he tells her to pay attention, but just the way he said it, I'm now guaranteeing there not gonna last and he honestly seems like he doesn't enjoy being in a relationship, he just likes being single. 

I think it would be crowded for him to be in a relationship when he's clearly in one with himself. 

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 1

I watched “Larry’s Country Diner” on RFD because they had a band on that I like. One segment was the widow of Sheriff Jimmy Capps presenting the show with her late husband’s framed police shirt and badge. I assumed that he was an actual cop until they mentioned the Grand Ole Opry honoring him. His obituary said he was the guitarist in the Opry band for sixty-one years as well as a popular session guitarist. The Tennessean put “Sheriff” in quotation marks, but didn’t say why. I guess cosplaying cops is a thing in Tennessee? Sounds like he was Lawson’s role model, except that Lawson’s ego would never accept playing back-up.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, raayx01 said:

I saw that and I felt badly for her her because he said it in such a casually cruel and condescending way. You can tell it comes naturally to him.

Also didn’t Lawson have beef with Taylor Swift at some point on Twitter?

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I watched “Larry’s Country Diner” on RFD because they had a band on that I like. One segment was the widow of Sheriff Jimmy Capps presenting the show with her late husband’s framed police shirt and badge. I assumed that he was an actual cop until they mentioned the Grand Ole Opry honoring him. His obituary said he was the guitarist in the Opry band for sixty-one years as well as a popular session guitarist. The Tennessean put “Sheriff” in quotation marks, but didn’t say why. I guess cosplaying cops is a thing in Tennessee? Sounds like he was Lawson’s role model, except that Lawson’s ego would never accept playing back-up.

In some of the poorer counties around Knoxville there is still a reliance on volunteer fire departments and constables/reserve officers. It can be hell on your house insurance in those areas, but that's a whole other issue. In no way should Lawson be carrying a gun while wearing his t-shirt as a constable. In Anderson County his duties are more administrative or directing traffic at an event. He could be called on in big emergency to assist actual officers. Trace is still listed in the reserve corp of the sheriff's department. He apparently has had some training since he wears a county issued gun and holster. The academy where Tennessee cities and counties send candidates has been trying to stay open with smaller classes due to COVID (dorm living is tough when there is a pandemic). If Trace is going to make the jump from reserve (that pays very little and has no benefits) to deputy or police officer, he will probably have a wait. Lawson is unlikely to have applied or want to go through such a thing. 

That said no, Capps was not a sheriff. I believe he dressed as one on one album and sort of assumed the character for a few of the shows he appeared on in promotion of that album. It earned him the nickname and that stuck. It helped elevate his fame.  

For example my father shares the name of a famous politician from the early 1900s. All his life people have nicknamed him governor.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

On 2/11/2021 at 6:17 PM, raayx01 said:

Interestingly, none of the Bates sons married their first relationship. I wonder if there is a deeply unpleasant side to each of them that comes out in a first relationship, before they grow and change, at least a little. (To our knowledge, this is Lawson's first relationship). In the real world, I think this is great, but we know how Fundies are so obsessed with being pure and with the courtship model, even if they call it something different.

• Upvote 10

On 2/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, rebeccawriter01 said:

For example my father shares the name of a famous politician from the early 1900s. All his life people have nicknamed him governor.  

Huey?

• Upvote 1

L

On 2/11/2021 at 3:09 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

His singing money (if any) seems to go back into the costs of recording and production. He's not signed with a label and has to buy his studio time, pay for the manufacturing of the CDs, his own website, and even his music videos (though some of that is done by bartering with local production people. 

Even is attempts at touring are done without the assistance of an actual label. Proof would be using Taryn to shoot his publicity shots - labels have lists of people they have arrangements with and pretty much stick to that list. Erin's done the same. She has said she pays for studio time, accompanists, and even had Chad do the photography and design of the cover.  

He's not the only person to ever do this. It's more popular now than before because it is relatively easy to do with technology. Like with self publishing a book, some people look at it as vanity projects because you can show off your book, CD, etc. and say you did that. But few people get money back off of it that is substantial. When you figure in the costs of everything, someone recording music might get a penny or two after expenses. You'd have to sell in the millions before you started getting a good return. 

The thing about photography and record labels is not necessarily true, especially since Lawson is not with a major label. My cousins have both worked with major and independent labels in production and A&R. One cousin especially has helped young and up and coming artists with independent photo shoots and other PR. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

L

The thing about photography and record labels is not necessarily true, especially since Lawson is not with a major label. My cousins have both worked with major and independent labels in production and A&R. One cousin especially has helped young and up and coming artists with independent photo shoots and other PR. 

Agreed. Some independents don't have the time or resources. However, Lawson has no label at all. The studios they have shown him recording at are clearly rent by the hour places. Even his "band" members don't seem to know him, his songs, or even each other. The most convincing scene on the show that he actually had other musicians working with him was a song writing scene. However, I am willing to bet those were guys hired out of central casting to pretend to work with him. 

His music career is almost certainly financed by him and is strictly a vanity project. I have done some freelance PR for musicians and others over the last 20 years. Bigger labels have people in house and others will recommend people to handle such things. Baby photography Taryn would never be someone I would even have on my radar for photos for one of my clients. I also go with my clients to make sure the photographs are what are needed and not just random crap. Lawson had no such assistance or guidance. He brought Carlin. The point being that he isn't actually using professionals. The video he did with the girl from Duck Dynasty was produced by the family friends who run a web design company. They were probably renting the equipment by the hour. 

The original question was if he was making money from his music career. I still say he's not making anything really. It's not as though he has been "discovered" and invited to record. Even his gigs at places like UT Knoxville and Dollywood are things that you, I, or anyone can Google and get lined up pretty easily. Up and comers have to hustle. No doubt. But at some point a person is no longer an up and comer and is doing it on their own because nobody else is listening. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

On 2/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

watched “Larry’s Country Diner” on RFD because they had a band on that I like. One segment was the widow of Sheriff Jimmy Capps presenting the show with her late husband’s framed police shirt and badge. I assumed that he was an actual cop until they mentioned the Grand Ole Opry honoring him.

Jimmy Capps had a recurring role as a guitar playing sheriff on "Larry's Country Diner".  The shirt and badge were indeed his costume. I watched that show occasionally with my dad. 

• Upvote 4

Tiffy and Lawson (personally I like Tiffyson) were flying yesterday and got semi-stranded/hung up at an airport in Texas (I'm suspecting DFW).  Were they going to the Bateseses I love you day? 

• Upvote 6

57 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Tiffy and Lawson (personally I like Tiffyson) were flying yesterday and got semi-stranded/hung up at an airport in Texas (I'm suspecting DFW).  Were they going to the Bateseses I love you day? 

They also said in that story that they had to spend the night in Dallas. That happened to me and my now-husband when we visited his family for Thanksgiving and were trying to get back to college. We were so nervous about whether people would think we'd slept together (we and most of our friends were conservative Christians and my husband's brother and his new wife had just had a "shotgun" wedding). I can't imagine how awkward it would feel for fundies, but I also see plenty of snark value in this scenario. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

Ugh, I can't anymore with these fundies and their Covid recklessness. They keep flying back and forth across the country for no urgent reason while responsible people in long distance relationships haven't even seen each other in months. And then Tiffany does the whole video sequence in the airport and on the plane with her nose hanging out of her mask. Wtf is wrong with people? And they claim to be pro-life!

ETA: It just drives me insane that they literally blame women who have abortions for killing people because they don't want to be 'inconvenienced'--but apparently the inconvenience of being pregnant for 9 months, giving birth, and then figuring out what to do with a kid you don't want pales in comparison to the inconvenience of wearing a damn mask or skipping a big family gathering. ?

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 29
  • I Agree 7

@candygirl200413 One of the few instagram accounts Tiffany follows is the crazy anti-choice account that made the abortion = holocaust post I just shared on Ashley's thread. I don't feel sorry for her at all. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

On 2/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

I think it would be crowded for him to be in a relationship when he's clearly in one with himself. 

1000% agree and always have.  And while Lawffy may be a real thing now I'm not ready to say I stand corrected just yet. After all, zero of his brothers have married their 1st courtships. I've always thought he wouldn't marry until old enough to get away with marrying someone at least 10 yrs younger (so pretty soon by fundie standards I guess). No way can he handle sharing a spotlight. His ideal bride will be young, dumb, timid and meek.  She won't be on social media and we'll only ever see her in the background of his insta stories where he'll flash a shot of her and say things like "ain't that right wifey?" And turn the camera back to himself before she can reply.  Just my theory, I guess I'll have to wait & see ?‍♀️ but I think lawson wants clean laundry, home cooking and regular ego massage out of a women and that's about it!

• Upvote 11

I don't know if it is because their in the honeymoon phase of there new relationship, even though I think they've been dating for a few months, she's always posting how amazing he is. Which is getting really annoying. YOU AIN'T FOOLIN US LAWSON

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, lezajenda said:

1000% agree and always have.  And while Lawffy may be a real thing now I'm not ready to say I stand corrected just yet. After all, zero of his brothers have married their 1st courtships. I've always thought he wouldn't marry until old enough to get away with marrying someone at least 10 yrs younger (so pretty soon by fundie standards I guess). No way can he handle sharing a spotlight. His ideal bride will be young, dumb, timid and meek.  She won't be on social media and we'll only ever see her in the background of his insta stories where he'll flash a shot of her and say things like "ain't that right wifey?" And turn the camera back to himself before she can reply.  Just my theory, I guess I'll have to wait & see ?‍♀️ but I think lawson wants clean laundry, home cooking and regular ego massage out of a women and that's about it!

I agree about young and dumb, but I don’t think he would go for timid and meek. He wants someone to adore him and look cute on social media who would be putting herself out there with him.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

14 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I agree about young and dumb, but I don’t think he would go for timid and meek. He wants someone to adore him and look cute on social media who would be putting herself out there with him.

She's definitely not timid or meek, I found this video of her online form 9 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WTTLmq9QQ

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

Add Tiffany to the list of people who are better singers than Lawson:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PiuDl5cPCgQ

She’s thirteen in that video, and seems so poised and confident. I have no doubt that her political beliefs are as awful as Lawson’s, but watching him talk down to her like she’s an idiot makes me sad about this relationship. 

Reading this thread, I find myself wondering if Lawson doesn’t see this relationship as an opportunity to take a page from Jeremy Vuolo’d playbook; marry a more-famous younger woman and appropriate her spotlight while slowly transforming her into your own little ideal helpmeet. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic