IGNORED

Lawson Bates 5: Thinking He Knows What He's Doing

Coconut Flan

Tiffany’s family seems very well off and I’m sure Lawson wouldn’t mind living their lifestyle. Tiffany’s older brother seems to enjoy life as a world traveler/adventurer. Someone with a real job doesn’t seem like they’d have that much leisure time. I think Tiffany sees Lawson as a real catch: he’s attractive and super Christian (won’t expect premarital sex, etc.)

I don’t want to come off as racist with this speculation. I bet Lawson would like to father adorable little Asian girls, but I wonder how he’d feel about fathering boys that aren’t clones of him?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

Reading this thread, I find myself wondering if Lawson doesn’t see this relationship as an opportunity to take a page from Jeremy Vuolo’d playbook; marry a more-famous younger woman and appropriate her spotlight while slowly transforming her into your own little ideal helpmeet. 

This is exactly the vibe I’m getting. Lawson appears to love fame and publicity- if he married some unknown meek fundie woman he’d have to work hard. Tiffany is Instagram ready, has her own folllowing that he can harvest and appears to have money and show business contacts that he craves. In the snippets we’ve seen we can see he very much intends to be head of the household and Tiffany will be his adoring but marketable helpmeet.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9

On 2/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, JDuggs said:

Tiffany’s family seems very well off and I’m sure Lawson wouldn’t mind living their lifestyle. Tiffany’s older brother seems to enjoy life as a world traveler/adventurer. Someone with a real job doesn’t seem like they’d have that much leisure time. I think Tiffany sees Lawson as a real catch: he’s attractive and super Christian (won’t expect premarital sex, etc.)

I don’t want to come off as racist with this speculation. I bet Lawson would like to father adorable little Asian girls, but I wonder how he’d feel about fathering boys that aren’t clones of him?

I agree with you on the concern about having sons that don’t look like him.  I’m sure he’ll use their relationship as “I’m not racist, I have an Asian girlfriend.” 

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

On 2/17/2021 at 9:35 PM, JDuggs said:

I hadn’t even noticed she was Asian; she’s probably mixed-race. I don’t think their kids would look noticeably Asian.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 1

After a very long FJ hiatus, I’ve been spending some time reading up on all things fundie.  I do follow several Duggars and Bates on IG and am curious to know, why don’t Lawson and Nathan require chaperones?  I know the parents have *said* the couples get to make up their own courting rules, but that still feels super lax for them.  In the real world, obviously they’re adults, but these folks don’t live in the “real” world.  I’m surprised those two are allowed to be alone with their girls.  A lot.  How are they expected to control their sexual urges without a sibling watching over them?  ?

For real though - has this been addressed?  Is it just a double standard that the boys can do what they want, only the girls require chaperones?  

• Upvote 6

On 2/17/2021 at 9:35 PM, JDuggs said:

Remembering a biracial guy I dated and how much of a minefield this is, this is a really good, though concerning, point. Especially with how Asian men are emasculated in Western society and the dynamics with a conservative, white father. 

And yes, their children would likely look very Asian. (I'm really surprised a poster thinks their children wouldn't.)

• Upvote 9

On 2/19/2021 at 11:44 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I hadn’t even noticed she was Asian; she’s probably mixed-race. I don’t think their kids would look noticeably Asian.

My bestie is white and American with red hair. Her hubby is Asian and Black. Their kids look like him and act like her. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 3

Asian gene dominance is very strong. I'm a school teacher and there's a couple of students who are 1/4 Vietnamese and 3/4 caucasian and they favour their 1/2 Vietnamese father much more than their white mother.

It reminds me of the Jon and Kate kids, too.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 2

10 hours ago, SimplyMe said:

After a very long FJ hiatus, I’ve been spending some time reading up on all things fundie.  I do follow several Duggars and Bates on IG and am curious to know, why don’t Lawson and Nathan require chaperones?  I know the parents have *said* the couples get to make up their own courting rules, but that still feels super lax for them.  In the real world, obviously they’re adults, but these folks don’t live in the “real” world.  I’m surprised those two are allowed to be alone with their girls.  A lot.  How are they expected to control their sexual urges without a sibling watching over them?  ?

For real though - has this been addressed?  Is it just a double standard that the boys can do what they want, only the girls require chaperones?  

Gil and Kelly think it’s up to the girls parents to provide chaperones and enforce that sort of thing. Which is convenient for them since they seem to love to control their daughters’ relationships more than their sons. It’s also convenient for all their boys to choose girls with parents much less strict than their own. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Asian gene dominance is very strong. I'm a school teacher and there's a couple of students who are 1/4 Vietnamese and 3/4 caucasian and they favour their 1/2 Vietnamese father much more than their white mother.

It reminds me of the Jon and Kate kids, too.

You know you can't extrapolate a couple of students into a blanket statement about genetic inheritance, right?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

My prediction: LawTif  or Tiffin or whatever we want to call them will be broken up by June. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Mark Paul Gosslaar’s mom is Indonesian and everyone assumes he’s white as hell. ??‍♀️ You never know with genetics. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Mark Paul Gosslaar’s mom is Indonesian and everyone assumes he’s white as hell. ??‍♀️ You never know with genetics. 

Also Eddie and Alex Van Halen.  

And as my brother and I look more like my dad I guess German genes are stronger than my mom's Irish....except that our sisters look much more like her so maybe it's just a random roll of the genetic dice?  

Crazy thought, I know.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

My husband and I are white but we look nothing alike. So it was fun to see what our children would look like. We have two kids who look nothing alike. Pris and Pecan’s children are never a surprise. I think we all know what they will look like. I swear if they have a brunette curly haired child I will pass out from shock. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I believe Gosselar and the Van Halens have mothers who are Dutch-Indonesian (of mixed Asian and European ancestry). By comparison, Bruce Lee had a grandfather who was a white German, and it's unlikely anyone would categorize him as white. 

I get the overall point though. There's an inherent subjectivity to racial categorization.

However, I do think if Lawson and Tiffany had children, it is unlikely they would be categorized visually as "white" by American society, and I think there's some real potential issues there with the "Put up a portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest" Bateses as well as stereotypes our culture still traffics in with Asian men. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I believe Gosselar and the Van Halens have mothers who are Dutch-Indonesian (of mixed Asian and European ancestry). By comparison, Bruce Lee had a grandfather who was a white German, and it's unlikely anyone would categorize him as white. 

I get the overall point though. There's an inherent subjectivity to racial categorization.

However, I do think if Lawson and Tiffany had children, it is unlikely they would be categorized visually as "white" by American society, and I think there's some real potential issues there with the "Put up a portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest" Bateses as well as stereotypes our culture still traffics in with Asian men. 

Idk about Mark Paul, but you're right about the Van Halens.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

My prediction: LawTif  or Tiffin or whatever we want to call them will be broken up by June. 

You could be right, but right now she has an Insta story up, gushing about the best boyfriend ever and telling others to "Aim high ladies, aim high".  He also gave her a necklace and earing's from Tiffany's. What a clever boy he is! My brain keeps circling around and around with their finances. How can he support a wife and children, let alone buy a home. It is a never ending mystery to me.

tiffy.jpg

• Upvote 12

Damn! So the Bateses have gone from the hand me down buy used and save the difference Duggar approach to buying new jewelry from Tiffany??? Katie’s Polo wardrobe birthday gift from Travis was extreme enough, but this is an actual Bates family member buying jewelry from a major luxury brand. How are they going to spin this one?

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, Exposedknees said:

As a mom of biracial children, I don't like where this "strong gene" conversation is headed.?

And as a biracial human, and cousin/aunt/sisterinlaw to other humans specifically of East Asian and Caucasian heritage, I thank you for that.  Lets steer away from the humans-as-breeding-stock convo.

Even though Lawson just gave Tiffany some jewelry, I still don't see this lasting. I hope her parents or friends sit her down and ask some hard questions:  Do you want to move to Tennessee? If you move to Rocky Top, Tennessee, will you be comfortable as a biracial girl from southern California? If you move to Nashville, how will Lawson support you? If Lawson moves to LA, how will he support you? Do you want to become a mom in your early 20s? Are you comfortable with basically giving up your acting career when baby #2 or #3 appears? How will you and Lawson support your family when UP cancels the Bates show and you are busy wrangling multiple children?

Also, is that one of Elsa Peretti's hematite ball necklaces? 

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/necklaces-pendants/elsa-peretti-round-pendant-30793927/?&omcid=ppc_google_PLA+-+New+-+BR+-+Necklace+-+US+-+Other+Markets&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+-+New+-+BR+-+Necklace+-+US+-+Other+Markets&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=kaKyc2ev|pcrid|449178244012|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|targetids|pla-928034664380|groupid|107458640147|&mkwid=skaKyc2ev|pcrid|449178244012|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|mtid|744dpc50313|slid||productid|60020710|targetids|pla-928034664380|groupid|107458640147|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItLek1u-A7wIVycfICh2wtgW7EAQYASABEgKLa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

PS  I'm wearing a piece of "vintage" Tiffany jewelry right now. Probably 30-40 years old, and cost about 30% less than a comparable "new" item. Buy used and save the difference, Bates!!

• Upvote 22
  • Love 3

42 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

If you move to Rocky Top, Tennessee, will you be comfortable as a biracial girl 

Is there any evidence she’s biracial? I just assumed she was Chinese since she was adopted from China. 

• Upvote 9

20 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Is there any evidence she’s biracial? I just assumed she was Chinese since she was adopted from China. 

Yeah I don't think she's biracial, she's just adopted

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

I’m really wondering how this relationship can succeed. And I don’t think it can unless she becomes very submissive. She has been far more exposed to “worldly” influences during her time in Hollywood. Odds are she has spent time with fellow actors who are gay or trans, had pre-marital sex, etc. Due to the child labor laws in California and her parents Christian beliefs, I’m sure she was watched closely. However, if you look through her Insta pics, she celebrated and dressed up for Halloween (big Bates no, no).  Lots of pictures in short shorts, sleeveless tops and dresses and even (GASP!) spaghetti straps! She's travelled with friends, not a chaperone in sight!

After watching Avengers End Game, I googled to see if any other movies would be made and found this.

“The film wraps up the franchise’s main storylines while promoting other secondary and tertiary characters to center stage in future films and TV shows.”

Then when we discovered Lawson was dating Tiffany, while googling her (I need to get out more, oh wait, Covid), I found some other articles speculating that Tiff’s Marvel character, Cindy Moon, could get her own story line and since she had previously played the part, she was a front runner for future roles.

When I saw she was in Avengers Infinity War, I re-watched the movie and couldn’t see her. Finally googled where she was in the movie. She’s on the school bus with Peter and shown for like 5 seconds. And for this she received name credit in the film. I think that is a pretty big deal for not much screen time. I don’t think she’s a big enough deal to get name credit if they didn’t have plans to put her into future movies.

So, if Marvel calls and say’s “Hey Tiffany, let’s make a movie”, what happens? Does she throw it all away for Lawson of all people?  Does she ask his permission? Gil’s permission? I find it so hard to believe that Gil and Kelly are OK with this relationship. Maybe only because they were despairing of ever marrying him off.  And maybe if they are confident in Lawson’s control over her because this is the most worrying aspect of the relationship IMO. In this relatively new relationship, he has already publicly corrected her driving and even bicycling skills. While we’ve been thinking he was waiting to date because of Lawson love, maybe he was waiting for someone young enough to control. Ick.

@HereticHickI agree with you. I hope her family, friends and International playboy brother, while maybe initially glad she's happy, do some research into the Bates. Not just looking at recent social media pics, but really do some research (although all the honeymoon babies and onslaught of more babies on the way would trigger warnings to me.) Hey maybe they'll find FJ!

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic