IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 4: Counting On (And On And On)

GreyhoundFan

A moment of silent good vibes to the mods on /r politics on reddit.  Live election is on thread 67 and they are averaging 5 comments a second.

Makes me glad atm we don't have 6.8 million FJers or the mod team here would be day drinking.

28 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Or will they just all move to some Brazilian backwoods and try to form it into their own Super Patriotic Jesus utopia like libertarians always talk about (and never do) with Wyoming? 

That's where enough confederates went after the war to continue their plantation lifestyle.  I think they named the town Americana and they still have confederate flags and celebrations there.  

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • WTF 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

A moment of silent good vibes to the mods on /r politics on reddit.  Live election is on thread 67 and they are averaging 5 comments a second.

Makes me glad atm we don't have 6.8 million FJers or the mod team here would be day drinking.

That's where enough confederates went after the war to continue their plantation lifestyle.  I think they named the town Americana and they still have confederate flags and celebrations there.  

Speaking of flags...

• Upvote 28
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Wait, we aren't supposed to be? Whoops! I've been FJing wrong for years. (I'm kidding.)

Trump is going to the Supreme Court over the ballots that arrived past Election Day in PA. It likely won't matter though, because there are only 2-3,000 according to the PA SOS.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 4

27 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And be shat upon because people in other countries can discriminate and have racist tendencies too. Would they want to be the “immigrant” and jump through all the hoops that is required? Learn a new language? Respect different customs? Not seeing it!

Which is why they keep threatening civil war. They don't want to leave, they want us dead. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

12 minutes ago, adidas said:

From abc news au:

Nancy Pelosi said:

I saw her quoted somewhere today saying she was concerned about what "micheif" Trump will be up to in his remaining time.

I freaking hate when she, and others, minimize the danger of this man.  Crimes and policies that actively harm our country aren't "mischief."

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9

Stolen from the Unvirtuous Abbey Facebook page: 

Prayer for a Would-Be Pharaoh, After Exodus 14:28 - by Margaret Anne Ernst

I hope you don’t just lose
I hope that every wall you built
crumbles into the stardust
that we’ll rub on each other’s foreheads
next year to say, “We are beloved”

I hope you don’t just lose
but that the only voices
you’ll be allowed to listen to
are the testimonies of every farmworker
you tried to deport
while you learn to chop tomatoes
and to say thank you to the earth

I hope that if there is a hell
and if you are destined for it
that it looks like standing at the wedding
of every trans and queer person
you permitted to be deemed unhuman
while you licked your lips
clean of your own lecherous sins

I hope that this place is not hell
but recognition,
that there is a g-d
who changed everything
you tried to do to us
into a seed
such that every vile order
and every hotheaded tweet
have become the spices
with which we will make jambalaya
on the day you fall
from power

I hope you will know there still is invitation
to you, and everyone who rides in your chariots
into the feeling of what “together” means.
Into the feeling of what “future” is.
Into the hospitality of “never too late,”
to live as if this world is for all of us
And I hope, Mr. President, if you drown
in a sea of your making
it is watered with repentance tears
because we are too beautiful
for even you not to cry over.

But if none of this comes true
if you remain committed
to smallness and fallacy
as your daily bread,
I pray that you get out the way
so that we may forget you.
So we no longer wake with the bitter taste
of your slurred names for us in our throats
so that forever more all that we taste
is hope
is possibility
is peace.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 17

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Who says we're not? ?

• Haha 24

17 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Wait, we aren't supposed to be? Whoops! I've been FJing wrong for years. (I'm kidding.)

Trump is going to the Supreme Court over the ballots that arrived past Election Day in PA. It likely won't matter though, because there are only 2-3,000 according to the PA SOS.

Republicans in favor of segregation, who could've seen that coming?

• Upvote 10

Things have caught up with me today and I had to turn off the news. In search of something else, I found Hallmark Drama running episodes of "The Waltons". Yes, they are a bit schmaltzy, but they are nice and calming. I know I won't be able to stay away from the news long, but it's great to have a bit of a break.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 8
  • Love 11

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Holy shit. :pb_eek:

FFS. WHY? I hate this country sometimes. Stuff like this isn't going to change the outcome. 

Edit; I haven't been able to find a secondary source on this. Does anyone else have one?

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

Which is why they keep threatening civil war. They don't want to leave, they want us dead. 

As I've said before given the huge divisions right now I'd be on board with a peaceful split to create two countries.

I know it's not logistically possible, but ideologically it's a nice fantasy.  And that's a wall I'd happily pay for.

7 minutes ago, Destiny said:

FFS. WHY? I hate this country sometimes. Stuff like this isn't going to change the outcome. 

Edit; I haven't been able to find a secondary source on this. Does anyone else have one?

I can't find one either.   It's a UK paper - anyone know how legit they are?

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

Police found no explosives or any other suspicious devices at the Fashion District after they searched the building Friday due to a bomb threat at the mall, which partially borders the Convention Center, where votes for the presidential election were being counted.

Police said K-9 officers had completed the search by 3 p.m. and found nothing inside the mall. The investigation began earlier in the afternoon, when police said mall security received two calls from a person claiming “a bomb was going to go off in the Fashion District.” Police and security officers began forcing people to evacuate.

The mall spans several blocks near the Convention Center, where demonstrators had gathered on the street outside while election officials were still tallying votes.

As police investigated the possible threat, Commissioner Danielle Outlaw and District Attorney Larry Krasner held a news conference inside the Convention Center, at which Krasner said a separate crime nearby Thursday night — the arrest of two men carrying guns outside the vote counting — did not appear to have any connection to any larger effort to cause disruption.

This is a developing story that will be updated.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-bomb-threat-fashion-district-convention-center-20201106.html

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I can't find one either.   It's a UK paper - anyone know how legit they are?

It was a nearby mall, not the counting centre itself. Maybe or maybe not related. 

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-bomb-threat-fashion-district-convention-center-20201106.html

Edit: @thoughtful got there first. 

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You'd have to get one of those helmets with the straw, as there would not be time to life a glass. 

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

There's also a group ex-Americans (probably still US citizens) living in Panama and Belize, trying to create a new Christian country (in the middle of a Christian country.)

• Upvote 9

38 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm 16 miles away from the WH. I heard a bunch of whining and the sound of toys being thrown out of a playpen.

Gotta open a window after this zoom meeting so I can catch some of this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As I've said before given the huge divisions right now I'd be on board with a peaceful split to create two countries.

I know it's not logistically possible, but ideologically it's a nice fantasy.  And that's a wall I'd happily pay for.

Looking at the election map, in another 40 years (assuming we've not destroyed the planet by then) I could see there being 2 countries - but it'd be one in the center of the other like concentric circles. Maybe South Carolina would hold out long enough to be the keyhole exit from Trumpistan in the center. 

Georgia went blue, NC was blue in 2008, and Florida started out leaning blue in this election.

• Upvote 6

Just now, fraurosena said:

So much this. Yes, a President Biden is not likely to start wars on twitter, but, he's not going to get a damn thing done with McConnell playing obstruction monster. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 14

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's also a group ex-Americans (probably still US citizens) living in Panama and Belize, trying to create a new Christian country (in the middle of a Christian country.)

That's because Panama and Belize aren't the "right" kind of Christians. I'm sure the native residents of both countries are sick to death of the transplants.

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The tantrum will never be over 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 10

• Destiny unpinned and locked this topic