IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 4: Counting On (And On And On)

GreyhoundFan

5 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I don't think I'm going to fully relax until January 22. Right now I'm leveling out at cautiously optimistic. There might be a flare of slight relief once the remaining states are called, if the current trends hold, and another one when all the counting is done, but I'm not holding out much hope that he and followers are going to accept that he done pissed off too many people.

These are my thoughts exactly. I have a feeling that the next two months are going to be pretty much hell. It's hard for me to imagine that Trump will go quietly. I expect a lot of malarkey.

Screenshot_20201105-183144.jpg

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 9

13 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Join with me!

Na na na na, na na na na, HEY HEY HEY...

But yeah, where would they GO? Pretty much every other "first world" country on the planet has things they hate like social safety nets and nationalized health care, and these people are too racist and inflexible to go somewhere that speaks another language or isn't majority white.

And no country on earth has our insanely permissive gun ownership laws. 

re election laws

I was a poll watcher (D) here in Colorado in 2016. As part of the training, I learned a lot about Colorado's election rules. We are extremely flexible here. You can register the same day you vote. All you have to do is present one of twenty-some forms of ID. Proof of ID includes not just the usual things like driver's license and passport, but college ID, Medicare ID, and even a utility bill with your name and address on it. You do have to provide a Colorado address. I believe you can vote at any polling station as long as you are a Colorado citizen. 

If you require assistance to vote, the officials are required to let your representative go to the voting booth with you. There was only one case I remember where someone required an assistant. She seemed to have some cognitive challenges and her brother was helping her vote. 

Poll watching was interesting but it was hard to stay alert. I had a seat out of the way, but had to watch the election officials and hear what voters and officials were saying. I was extremely impressed by the election officials. This county has had irregularities in the past, but has largely cleaned up its act. 

Of course, most importantly, Colorado has early voting. I voted two and a half weeks ago and drove my ballot to the official ballot box one mile from my home. I tracked when my ballot was received and accepted online. 

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 18

3 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Ok. Honest question from a Canadian. 

Does every state have different voting rules or does it just look this way to an outsider? 

I get states running state elections their own way but you'd think there should be some consistency for a FEDERAL election. 

Every state runs its own election. In my state (and most if not all states), the state and federal election is combined. Combining them means that the state gets more voter turnout and they save money. My local election is in April, paid for by the municipality. That election is mail in only, which increases voter turnout and costs about the same. (Although we seem to always have a second, special election as local people keep dying/getting sick/having sex scandals, but that's not important right now.) 

Each state runs their own election. I know for the Legislative branch, there is a clause in section 4 of Article 1 of the Constitution that says that the states determine the Times, Places and Manner of congressional elections. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Not a chance when those pants look like this: :pantsonfire:

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, GeraldineGrainger said:

These are my thoughts exactly. I have a feeling that the next two months are going to be pretty much hell. It's hard for me to imagine that Trump will go quietly. I expect a lot of malarkey.

Say good bye to any hope of Covid stimulus or relief packages. I fully expect a speech or a dress down of whichever reporter dares to ask that question. "YOU DIDNT VOTE FOR ME I KNOW YOU ARE NASTY AND I PROMISED IT IF I WAS REELECTED SO ILL LET BIDEN DO THAT BLAME CHINA" 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

As upset as I am (or will be once I come down off my tentative relief high) about losing seats in the house and no blue wave the small, petty silver lining is how much that must upset Trump.

People voted Rs into the house and senate, but to oust him.  That's not a D v R fight - that's personal rejection.  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 12

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As upset as I am (or will be once I come down off my tentative relief high) about losing seats in the house and no blue wave the small, petty silver lining is how much that must upset Trump.

People voted Rs into the house and senate, but to oust him.  That's not a D v R fight - that's personal rejection.  

I agree. I'm genuinely upset about the congressional losses, but this exactly. A reasonable amount of republicans repudiated Trump. I'd argue, and I think we all would, that it was not enough of them by any means, but it's a start toward fixing the rhetoric of hate that he's been pushing and enabling.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 17

49 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Yeahhh, he's not going quietly into the night. He just tweeted about military ballots in GA (that aren't due till this evening).

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 1.40.04 PM.png

The funny thing being he truly thinks they'll all be for him. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

The funny thing being he truly thinks they'll all be for him. 

He'll probably get a good many, really, but calling them all "losers" just a month or two ago probably lost him some votes. Not everyone is a member of his base who will cheer when he directly insults them.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7

2 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

That should be "President-Elect Joe Biden" any time now.

Also - Kamala Harris! I can't even tell you how excited I am about her. 

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 12

11 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

There's always a tweet, isn't there? Delightful. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

This is scary, but not surprising:

image.png.b174c9f5215994fabb11e034c762985b.png

• Angry 2
  • Disgust 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 14

I'm still too nervous to celebrate yet.  Trump isn't going to go quietly and he probably still has dirty tricks up his sleeve.

When you think about it, I bet he really didn't envision losing.  After all, he's spent months putting his cheats into place.  He felt sure that undermining the post office would work.  That was the upside for him of Covid.  Those Democrats wouldn't go out to vote and he would make sure their ballots never made it back to the election office.  He's been promising his base anything and everything.  He was the one who made is safe to run the dishwasher!  And he saved suburbia for all those suburban moms!  The virus was a hoax.  He thought he had checked all the boxes.

He didn't count on 80 million people hating him so much that they'd go to the trouble to make sure they voted against him.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 14

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:
1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Oh, so he wants to go by the popular vote then? Ok, we're more than fine with that. 

My prediction is that we're going to end up with an insanely stupid conspiracy theory based on the final number of votes each candidate receives. :roll:

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Obama from 2020 DNC

I’m in Philadelphia, where our Constitution was drafted and signed. It wasn’t a perfect document. It allowed for the inhumanity of slavery and failed to guarantee women — and even men who didn’t own property — the right to participate in the political process. But embedded in this document was a North Star that would guide future generations; a system of representative government — a democracy — through which we could better realize our highest ideals.

Kind of prophetic as Philly was so crucial in bringing this home.  

I'm not crying, btw.  Someone must be chopping onions around here somewhere...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 20

• Destiny unpinned and locked this topic