IGNORED

Alyssa & John 6: She's Raising Sister Moms

GreyhoundFan

18 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

@formergotharditethank you. just as scary as I suspected . . .glad you listened instead of me . . . blood pressure couldn't handle it 

I could not have listed to the entire thing, These people are so frustrating, but also scary. They really believe that giving anyone else freedom means they are being persecuted and that they should fight with all they have to stop anyone else from gaining freedom to live how they want to live. It seems like with Trump they see themselves being able to hold onto power and so they are going to do whatever they can to make sure they don't lose that power. 

I had not heard "nurture" being translated at disciplining children. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, UnicornHunter said:

Vote Trump because God.

I didn’t watch the video, I just haven’t seen any Baptist churches support anyone but that asshole.

This might be hopeful for a few people. 

• Thank You 3

Ugh, my thoughts on the recap of the video...

1. I've worshiped in the United Methodist Church my whole life. They are a church that typically uses the lectionary (although not required). The Lectionary  features readings that cover most of the Bible over a three year period. Frequently, the Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Episcopal churches use the same lectionary, and the Catholics use a slightly different one. I like it because it challenges Pastors to preach on the whole Bible, although frequently, they preach on the Gospel reading. (There's an Old Testament, Psalms, Gospels, and an Epistle reading). I would not choose to worship at a church like Alyssa's, because the pastors pick and choose just what they want to preach on, and they typically rotate through a few topics.

2. So, Alyssa, which version of The Lord's Prayer should be the official school version. I know at least four. Shall we start each day with The Apostle's Creed right after the Pledge of Allegiance? If so, I'm sure you'd scream about the line [I believe in] the holy catholic church. (not capitalized because it means universal here, not the Roman Catholic church.) I bet The Apostle's Creed is too structured for you.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

@Audrey2 start the day with a hail mary (or heck, a decade of the rosary). Their heads would explode. I'm not catholic but I went to catholic school and I loved the mornings we would do that with announcements. The repetition is soothing - and actually it may have been October we did that.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Ugh, my thoughts on the recap of the video...

1. I've worshiped in the United Methodist Church my whole life. They are a church that typically uses the lectionary (although not required). The Lectionary  features readings that cover most of the Bible over a three year period. Frequently, the Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Episcopal churches use the same lectionary, and the Catholics use a slightly different one. I like it because it challenges Pastors to preach on the whole Bible, although frequently, they preach on the Gospel reading. (There's an Old Testament, Psalms, Gospels, and an Epistle reading). I would not choose to worship at a church like Alyssa's, because the pastors pick and choose just what they want to preach on, and they typically rotate through a few topics.

2. So, Alyssa, which version of The Lord's Prayer should be the official school version. I know at least four. Shall we start each day with The Apostle's Creed right after the Pledge of Allegiance? If so, I'm sure you'd scream about the line [I believe in] the holy catholic church. (not capitalized because it means universal here, not the Roman Catholic church.) I bet The Apostle's Creed is too structured for you.

When I was Episcopalian I found the readings a lot easier to follow than what I grew up with in a Baptist church where the pastors tended to do what this guy did and jump from verse to verse without any context. The context of Deuteronomy 6, something the pastor never mentions, was that they had just gotten the 10 commandments and were being reminded that when they finally get to the promised land, they need to tell their kids about how they were delivered from slavery and given a land to live in freedom. In context this passage doesn't relate to Conservative American Christians trying to make sure no one else has any rights. 

Whenever these people toss out putting God is schools, I want them to explain which version of the Christian God do they want in public schools. It would be impossible to make all these people happy and it would only end up with someone ranting about how their child was being taught out of the wrong Bible or learning bad theology. They always create an imaginary world where their specific group is the only one with power and everyone else just passively goes along with it. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

So - okay The Lord's Prayer - Alyssa would probably be the Sunday School teacher I had on ONE (and only one) occasion (because my just divorced mother was SEVERELY uncomfortable - note small town Kansas in 1974) when I was 10 (beginning of 5th grade) - she asked if anyone knew the Lord's Prayer.  Crickets.  Well someone (me) had been going to a United Methodist Church for four years and guess what was part of every worship?  I raised my hand.  I rattled that sucker off.  AND - was corrected by the teacher because I said 'trespasses' and not 'debts/debtors.'  Apparently trespasses is METHODIST and we're BAPTIST so WE say Debts/Debtors.  (nevermind that nobody in her existing group of kids volunteered and that I hadn't been there previously)

Sorry - mild childhood trigger on that one.  As a former Sunday School teacher/small group leader the result was I accepted whatever version of it (or Psalm 23) that the kids knew (One of the other was the subject of a vacation bible school one year). 

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@Audrey2 start the day with a hail mary (or heck, a decade of the rosary). Their heads would explode. I'm not catholic but I went to catholic school and I loved the mornings we would do that with announcements. The repetition is soothing - and actually it may have been October we did that.

Fallen away Catholic, married to a Presbyterian preacher's son here. I still start my prayers with a Hail Mary and occasionally do a decade of the Rosary. It is soothing and familiar.

Edited by sixcatatty
added a thought
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

On 10/12/2020 at 10:46 PM, formergothardite said:

I could not have listed to the entire thing, These people are so frustrating, but also scary. They really believe that giving anyone else freedom means they are being persecuted and that they should fight with all they have to stop anyone else from gaining freedom to live how they want to live. It seems like with Trump they see themselves being able to hold onto power and so they are going to do whatever they can to make sure they don't lose that power. 

I had not heard "nurture" being translated at disciplining children. 

They are so full of fear, hate and aggression- they probably cannot understand that they wouldn’t be persecuted. Because that is exactly what they do to others to a certain extent. And because they are already the “civilised and good” people, because Jesus (the right, white, conservative one of course) they probably fear the uncivilised, godless hordes. This is all so unsettling, even though I am watching from afar. I truly have to spend more time off this forum and US based SM because even though I only follow liberal, anti-racist accounts, sometimes it seems as if the majority of the US is actually like this example (probably not true but that’s how it feels at the moment). And those people scare me.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

9 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

They are so full of fear, hate and aggression- they probably cannot understand that they wouldn’t be persecuted. Because that is exactly what they do to others to a certain extent. And because they are already the “civilised and good” people, because Jesus (the right, white, conservative one of course) they probably fear the uncivilised, godless hordes. This is all so unsettling, even though I am watching from afar. I truly have to spend more time off this forum and US based SM because even though I only follow liberal, anti-racist accounts, sometimes it seems as if the majority of the US is actually like this example (probably not true but that’s how it feels at the moment). And those people scare me.

I go to work and have to hear about the “scary liberals” and how “sad it is for anyone who doesn’t personally know a Jesus”. I used to just be quiet, but now most of them know I’m a “scary” liberal and my father is Jewish and we celebrated lots of holidays with his family. Most have been pretty shocked. It’s so odd for me. I used to live in LA and was surrounded by people who believed like I did. Now living in Ohio for the last 7 years has really opened up my eyes to who put Trump in office. The sad thing is that I really like my co workers as people, and I don’t care what religion they are etc. My hope is to show them that the caricatures portrayed of people like me are so ridiculous. It’s still me, mstee, voting for Biden and throwing out some Yiddish works occasionally. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 1
  • Love 11

Part 2 of Alyssa's church's series on politics. 

The pastor starts out by pointing to the door and saying that if the people in the church aren't part of the Lord they need to get out. That kind of seems like the opposite of what church is supposed to be, but what do I know. Maybe bringing in lost people goes out the door when it is political season and there is power up for grabs. 

This is just starting off going down a bad path because he says why would any Christians in America want to be a part of anything that doesn't want God. Maybe because our country was founded on separation of church and state? Go take that up with the founding fathers. 

He is upset that there are politicians who aren't Christians. These people aren't content to not be Christian, they want to remove Christianity from the government. We are back to rambling on about "One Nation Under God" being removed from the pledge. The pastor has zero desire to be a part of any country that isn't full on Christian. 

He pulls out the board game Life and it ends up that most of the people in the church haven't ever played. Don't worry, they won't be playing the game, it is just a prop. He repeats multiple times that he only picks the blue car, never the pink. Real life isn't like the game of Life. No shit. 

Life is a gift. Not the game, just to be clear, being actually alive. We seem to be going into a review of last week and I'm going to skip forward. He does mention that younger people are leaving being biblical literalist. That is very bad according to him. I think it is very good. 

So I thought we were going straight to abortion but he starts off about children hearing about school shootings. He says that when children have to have active shooter drills their mind goes "that is a lack of respect for life". I don't think so. Aaannnd we are at abortion straight from that. That was a big jump in topics. He says these children learn abortion is normal. It is sort of like he is saying active shooter drills are unbiblical, but he is rather confusing. 

Long, rambling speech about Hollywood and public schools pushing evolution. He keeps repeating that what he says isn't from him, it is from God. Kind of making himself some sort of a prophet here. He claims only God can take a life, so is he saying the death sentence is wrong? Oh, fuck this guy, we have gotten to suicide and he seems to be implying that is a sin. 

Well killing people in war is justified along with the death sentence. So no person has the right to take another person's life except for all those times that it is cool so do that. He keeps pressing the point that there are times when it is justified to kill and then jumping right back to only God can take a life. 

We are at typical abortion propaganda and I'm skipping forward again. 

He is now claiming that abortionists want to be able to kill babies a certain time after they are born. He says a mother invites a baby into her body just like a person invites someone to visit them in their house. And then he says "I understand about rape, but a mother invites that child." So is this a way him claiming that if you are really raped you don't get pregnant? Sounds like it. But a mother invites the child and then she feels like she can evict the child. This is like inviting someone over to visit and then suddenly saying that you want to kick the person out by killing them. Because this is what all these women are doing, they are inviting babies and then killing them. That isn't how it works. 

And we are at politics and him saying you can't vote for people who support abortion. Covid is awful and he doesn't like that people are dying, but compared to abortion all those people dying of covid aren't really that many. Is covid really taking the life of an innocent person? He isn't choosing to take their life. I guess he means when he bounces around with no mask he isn't choosing to take a life and it isn't his fault if those people die. 

We have now jumped to scary government controlled health care. He doesn't want any part of that. The government could decide that everyone over the age of 62 doesn't get any medical care. He claims that Britain is letting people die of cancer because of government health care and the government is only treating Covid right now. Bunches of people are dying because the British government is only treating covid. 

I think it is very obvious that Alyssa may wear modern clothing, but the stuff she believes and votes for is just as scary and dangerous as her parents. There can be no doubt that she is still a fundie. 

• Upvote 6
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 17
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The pastor starts out by pointing to the door and saying that if the people in the church aren't part of the Lord they need to get out. That kind of seems like the opposite of what church is supposed to be, but what do I know. Maybe bringing in lost people goes out the door when it is political season and there is power up for grabs. 

This is just starting off going down a bad path because he says why would any Christians in America want to be a part of anything that doesn't want God. Maybe because our country was founded on separation of church and state? Go take that up with the founding fathers. 

He is upset that there are politicians who aren't Christians. These people aren't content to not be Christian, they want to remove Christianity from the government. We are back to rambling on about "One Nation Under God" being removed from the pledge. The pastor has zero desire to be a part of any country that isn't full on Christian. 

He pulls out the board game Life and it ends up that most of the people in the church haven't ever played. Don't worry, they won't be playing the game, it is just a prop. He repeats multiple times that he only picks the blue car, never the pink. Real life isn't like the game of Life. No shit. 

Life is a gift. Not the game, just to be clear, being actually alive. We seem to be going into a review of last week and I'm going to skip forward. He does mention that younger people are leaving being biblical literalist. That is very bad according to him. I think it is very good. 

So I thought we were going straight to abortion but he starts off about children hearing about school shootings. He says that when children have to have active shooter drills their mind goes "that is a lack of respect for life". I don't think so. Aaannnd we are at abortion straight from that. That was a big jump in topics. He says these children learn abortion is normal. It is sort of like he is saying active shooter drills are unbiblical, but he is rather confusing. 

Long, rambling speech about Hollywood and public schools pushing evolution. He keeps repeating that what he says isn't from him, it is from God. Kind of making himself some sort of a prophet here. He claims only God can take a life, so is he saying the death sentence is wrong? Oh, fuck this guy, we have gotten to suicide and he seems to be implying that is a sin. 

Well killing people in war is justified along with the death sentence. So no person has the right to take another person's life except for all those times that it is cool so do that. He keeps pressing the point that there are times when it is justified to kill and then jumping right back to only God can take a life. 

He is now claiming that abortionists want to be able to kill babies a certain time after they are born. He says a mother invites a baby into her body just like a person invites someone to visit them in their house. And then he says "I understand about rape, but a mother invites that child." So is this a way him claiming that if you are really raped you don't get pregnant? Sounds like it. But a mother invites the child and then she feels like she can evict the child. This is like inviting someone over to visit and then suddenly saying that you want to kick the person out by killing them. Because this is what all these women are doing, they are inviting babies and then killing them. That isn't how it works. 

And we are at politics and him saying you can't vote for people who support abortion. Covid is awful and he doesn't like that people are dying, but compared to abortion all those people dying of covid aren't really that many. Is covid really taking the life of an innocent person? He isn't choosing to take their life. I guess he means when he bounces around with no mask he isn't choosing to take a life and it isn't his fault if those people die. 

We have now jumped to scary government controlled health care. He doesn't want any part of that. The government could decide that everyone over the age of 62 doesn't get any medical care. He claims that Britain is letting people die of cancer because of government health care and the government is only treating Covid right now. Bunches of people are dying because the British government is only treating covid. 

I think it is very obvious that Alyssa may wear modern clothing, but the stuff she believes and votes for is just as scary and dangerous as her parents. There can be no doubt that she is still a fundie. 

Omg. What a mess. Thanks for the recap. Not only are those beliefs extremely messed up but sounds like the guy can’t give a coherent sermon to save his life. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

As a life long Catholic, now practicing Unitarian, I have never heard such drivel preached from the pulpit. For all its issues, the RC Church does not preach hate or exclusion within the walls of church; doesn’t attempt to scare or belittle people. I feel sorry for people that are bathed in this sort of environment, who live in fear.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, mstee said:

Omg. What a mess. Thanks for the recap. Not only are those beliefs extremely messed up but sounds like the guy can’t give a coherent sermon to save his life. 

I've heard some pretty disjointed Baptist sermons but he seems to jump from idea to idea in an exceptionally incoherent way. He does not appear to preach from any notes, which might be one of the issues. He paces back and forth across the front the entire time. The entire thing with holding up the game of Life, that was a waste of 10 minutes and didn't really further his point. He got the board game out of the box, dropped stuff and then went into a rambling explanation on how it was played. He could have said life is a gift, without all that. The thing about Britain letting people die because they only treat Covid seems to have come from something he heard minutes before the sermon. He pulls random verses from random spots of the Bible with absolutely no context. He occasionally has a point that will flash up on a screen, I guess for anyone who is attempting to take notes, But it doesn't flow from point one to point two at all. Alyssa seemed really proud of this since she told people to watch the series. I guess she doesn't have any clue that many people would find what he says horrifying and not be impressed with his preaching skills. 

The entire service, is about an hour and 20 minutes. He did keep asking if people were awake. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 11

Oh my - I haven't made it past the first paragraph of part 2 (and haven't read part 1).

So much for the pastor of a church I used to go to saying that the church is a hospital for sinners (meaning more or less - hey everyone welcome)

• Upvote 9

I’m just picturing Alyssa and her daughters in grifted clothes, dressed up to the nines to go sit in a room and listen to this drivel, likely with a helpmeet-worthy smile plastered on her face. I’m not sure whether to feel disgust or pity. Both?

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

@Johannah - they dressed like that early during Covid to watch church services (their own and Gil's) online - so in their own living room.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

My god, really?  This is what she is getting up every Sunday and dressing the kids in matching outfits to take pictures to listen to?  That is just sad. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I've heard some pretty disjointed Baptist sermons but he seems to jump from idea to idea in an exceptionally incoherent way. He does not appear to preach from any notes, which might be one of the issues. He paces back and forth across the front the entire time. The entire thing with holding up the game of Life, that was a waste of 10 minutes and didn't really further his point. He got the board game out of the box, dropped stuff and then went into a rambling explanation on how it was played. He could have said life is a gift, without all that. The thing about Britain letting people die because they only treat Covid seems to have come from something he heard minutes before the sermon. He pulls random verses from random spots of the Bible with absolutely no context. He occasionally has a point that will flash up on a screen, I guess for anyone who is attempting to take notes, But it doesn't flow from point one to point two at all. Alyssa seemed really proud of this since she told people to watch the series. I guess she doesn't have any clue that many people would find what he says horrifying and not be impressed with his preaching skills. 

The entire service, is about an hour and 20 minutes. He did keep asking if people were awake. 

He hit all of Trump’s talking points, didn’t he?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, clueliss said:

@Johannah - they dressed like that early during Covid to watch church services (their own and Gil's) online - so in their own living room.

I have to admit that I did the same one time. I was streaming a church service and hadn't left the house for weeks (except to run for groceries or to go the office occassionally) and it felt really good to get dressed and put on some makeup etc.*

*compared to Alyssa I still looked like a broomstick, but it worked for me.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

As a life long Catholic, now practicing Unitarian, I have never heard such drivel preached from the pulpit. For all its issues, the RC Church does not preach hate or exclusion within the walls of church; doesn’t attempt to scare or belittle people. I feel sorry for people that are bathed in this sort of environment, who live in fear.

I grew up Catholic. I've never been to a mass like this, but I'm not sure there aren't Catholic priests who preach like this.  Quite a few priests like to get political. For example right now some of them are questioning Biden's faith. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I grew up Catholic. I've never been to a mass like this, but I'm not sure there aren't Catholic priests who preach like this.  Quite a few priests like to get political. For example right now some of them are questioning Biden's faith. 

When I was younger we had an exchange student staying with us who really wanted to go to Mass on Father's Day, so we went even though my family barely meets the CEO Catholic threshold. The entire homily was about abortion. On Father's Day. ?‍♀️ We definitely never went back to that parish.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Ah yes, because Trump is the most faithful of them all. 

• Upvote 12

Did he mention any scripture at all?? That didn't sound like a regular sermon. Sounded like a political rant. He was probably kissing up to John's father who was probably part of the congregation. Webster is like the Jesse Helms of FL. They will never get rid of him.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic