IGNORED

Alyssa & John 6: She's Raising Sister Moms

GreyhoundFan

8 hours ago, Johannah said:

So there will now be cousins named Kaci and Maci? I assume she’ll spell it with an i since that’s how she spelled Lexi

They already have Zoey and Khloé so why not, right?

I'm seeing people in thebatesfam IG comments saying it's supposed to be spelled Macy. Not sure where they're getting that from though. It's a cute name and definitely very Alyssa.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

She just announced Maci Jo .  Spelled it that way.  

That was the name of the head cheerleader/ homecoming queen from when I was in high school, same spelling, so that’s all I’m ever going to picture when I hear that kid’s name 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

That was the name of the head cheerleader/ homecoming queen from when I was in high school, same spelling, so that’s all I’m ever going to picture when I hear that kid’s name 

All Alyssa's kid's names give off major 80s/90s cheerleader vibes to me. Not a fan myself, but mostly because the first two are nicknames without the full name and that's a naming pet peeve of mine. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Maci Jo Webster. Probably my least favorite way to spell that name but it sounds nice when it's said out loud. Her naming style is very different from mine that's for sure!

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

Kelly is so excited to have a GD named after her. Is this her 11th granddaughter? To be fair, many of those granddaughters do not have family names.

• Upvote 6

On 9/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, llucie said:

When you hace 19 siblings you probably have to compromise and be ok with having similar names with cousins. Just not repeating a name its going to be dificult by the time Jeb is having kids.

By the time Jeb has kids, his some of his nieces and nephews will be having kids of their own.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 4

Alyssa and John seem happy having girl number 4, so other people should stop leaving horrible and insensitive comments. She has said this may be her last pregnancy, while I think she possibly will have more.

My sister got majorly pissed when people saying to her after youngest son was born, you disappointed it was another boy or do you want to try for a girl. She had two miscarriages, one with twins and a difficult pregnancy with her first, so to her having a pregnancy with no complications. 

• Upvote 11

Even ignoring the fact that it's absolutely tacky to do that to anyone, these are people who have a religious belief that every child is a blessing from god.  If they were to show disappointment, that would be indicating a rejection of his blessing.  Absolutely not going to be considered appropriate in that circle, and ffs can't people just be allowed to love what they have?

I have friends that had 4 boys and then a girl and strangers would come up to them on the street and - in front of their children - comment about how long they must have been waiting for their daughter.  They were always heartily offended because they didn't love their sons any less for being boys, they just wanted a lot of kids.

• Upvote 8

On 9/18/2020 at 2:19 PM, freethemall said:

So, almost all our collective guesses about the name were correct:

- Cutesy nickname as a name: YES

- Ending in "ie" or "y" sound: YES

- Middle name typical southern to make it like 2 names, such as Ann/Jo/Lee: YES

- Starts with S to match 4th letter of Alyssa's name: nope

- 90's trend: if Macy, YES, if Maisie no, that's a bit more modern

So Allie, Lexie, Zoey, Macy/Macie/Maizie. Alyssa is anything if not consistent.

Add to your list she also covered the "BAH-da-BOOM" syllable sounds for #4

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Alyssa and John seem happy having girl number 4, so other people should stop leaving horrible and insensitive comments. She has said this may be her last pregnancy, while I think she possibly will have more.

My sister got majorly pissed when people saying to her after youngest son was born, you disappointed it was another boy or do you want to try for a girl. She had two miscarriages, one with twins and a difficult pregnancy with her first, so to her having a pregnancy with no complications. 

This won't be her last pregnancy. They'll go for the boy with #5 and if they get a boy they'll go for #6 to see about getting a brother. I could see her *maybe* stopping at 5 if #5 is a girl but I wouldn't put money on that. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

If Macy actually means "gift from god" in any major language I'll eat my Bates Sisters Boutique-style hat.  I just can't with these fundies who just believe any name "meaning" that they read off a random clickbait website.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

In this case though, Alyssa and John deserve some of the blame, because they (particularly Alyssa) have talked a lot about wanting to have a boy. It's bad enough for other people to say she should have boys, but it's been made worse by John and Alyssa saying how much they want a boy. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

According to the Internet, Macy means "weapon". Which I guess makes sense, since they're making arrows for Christ!

Part of me wonders if they're going for these names to make it easier for Gil and Kelly to remember who their kids are. I'm not related to them, but... let's see!
Allie Jane, Lexi Mae, Zoey Joy, Maci Jo... yep, rambles off pretty easy.

• Upvote 8

I think I found the website that told them Maci means “gift from God.” It’s definitely a bit of a stretch, but the website says the following about the name: 

Maci is a form of Macy and was originally derived from an English surname, that comes from the French town Massy. Massy derived from the Roman name Maccius, which originates in the name Matthew.

Here’s the link to the site: https://charlies-names.com/en/maci/, Google pulled this up as the second result, but the first result definitely says it has French origins and means “weapon’ and that in Afrikaans a similar sounding name means “girl.”

• Upvote 3

Long time lurker, first time poster.

It seems the middle names are after family.  John's mother's middle name is Eileen so it be interesting if they have another girl if she will be named after her Grandma Webster. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Unicorn28 said:

It seems the middle names are after family.  John's mother's middle name is Eileen so it be interesting if they have another girl if she will be named after her Grandma Webster. 

Then they really will match Whitney’s kids! Too bad Zoey wasn’t named after her grandmother. Then they could have had a Khloe Eileen and a Zoey Eileen, sisters to Kaci and Maci. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Unicorn28 said:

It's also Whitney's middle name, as well as her daughter Khloe's middle name, so... That could also play a role. I don't remember what Alyssa's relationship with Zach & Whit is like currently. I know Alyssa was one of Whit's OG bridesmaids, but... Things can change.

@Johannah AHAHA, literally at the same time. Great minds.

• Upvote 2

The meanings I found for Macy:

Origin: Possibly from an Old French word meaning Matthew's estate, though the name may also derive from a surname Mace, a medieval English personal name of unknown meaning, or a similar Gaelic place name meaning "long, low hill."

Macy is a female given name, which means "weapon" in Old French.

Here are girl names I found that mean gift of God:

Akshay

Aishi

Amarisa 

Dorothy

Gia

Inaya

Ishi

Ivani

Jenika

Kiara

Mishka

Sani

Yoana

Zobia

Fun fact: my name is in there too, but like the others would probably be too "ethnic" for her.

• Upvote 3

On 9/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, VineHeart137 said:

They already have Zoey and Khloé so why not, right?

I know Whitney pronounces Khloé like Chloe, but shouldn't she call her Klo-éh? Why did she put an stress mark in the name ans then ignore it? Do you think she knows how stress mark works or she just looked for an *unike* spelling? 

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

Origin: Possibly from an Old French word meaning Matthew's estate, though the name may also derive from a surname Mace, a medieval English personal name of unknown meaning, or a similar Gaelic place name meaning "long, low hill."

Akshay

Aishi

Amarisa 

Dorothy

Gia

Inaya

Ishi

Ivani

Jenika

Kiara

Mishka

Sani

Yoana

Zobia

Fun fact: my name is in there too, but like the others would probably be too "ethnic" for her.

Yoana and Ivani/Ivana are Joanna and means God is good/merciful. 

If Macy comes from Matthew, then Alyssa is right, it means gift of God.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, freethemall said:

Ah, I'm afraid none of those names fit whatever name aesthetic Alyssa is going for.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I know Whitney pronounces Khloé like Chloe, but shouldn't she call her Klo-éh? Why did she put an stress mark in the name ans then ignore it? Do you think she knows how stress mark works or she just looked for an *unike* spelling? 

I've seen people mention this in her IG comments and she never responds. I've always assumed she just thought it looked cute and she didn't know anything about stress marks (I'm also assuming she does know now and doesn't care enough to change it). Khloé Kardashian's name is the same so I've always kind of wondered if Whitney knows this and liked the name from her pre-fundie days.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm pretty sure she's just kinda dumb and thinks stress marks are sprinkled in for "style."

I know someone who goes on and on about her husband being French (the husband doesn't speak a word of French and he and his parents were all born in the U.S.) and they have given their four children invented French names with accents sprinkled throughout. I can't convey to you how much it bothers me. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

I think she probably thought the name seemed exotic, the accent seemed French (not bothering to look up the origin of the name or how accents are actually used), and cute to use a K to match Kaci. 

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic