IGNORED

Alyssa & John 6: She's Raising Sister Moms

GreyhoundFan

On 9/22/2020 at 8:30 PM, nausicaa said:

I'm pretty sure she's just kinda dumb and thinks stress marks are sprinkled in for "style."

I know someone who goes on and on about her husband being French (the husband doesn't speak a word of French and he and his parents were all born in the U.S.) and they have given their four children invented French names with accents sprinkled throughout. I can't convey to you how much it bothers me. 

Does Whitney use a diaeresis (Khloë) or an acute accent (Khloé)? (Wikipedia told me these are called diaresis or umlaut in English. We call them tréma in French)

Because the acute accent at least would be closer to the French spelling. I grew up with girls named Chloé (and French is my native language unlike your friend ?).

If she uses the diaeresis/umlaut, that would really show that she just used it to embellish the name. Because in French, a diaeresis wouldn't be used in that name and rarely on the ending letter of a word. The diaeresis usually helps determine the pronunciation of a vowel in relation to the consonant beside it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Vivi_music said:

Does Whitney use a diaeresis (Khloë) or an acute accent (Khloé)? (Wikipedia told me these are called diaresis or umlaut in English. We call them tréma in French)

Because the acute accent at least would be closer to the French spelling. I grew up with girls named Chloé (and French is my native language unlike your friend ?).

It's an acute accent (which I learned as accent aigu?) over the "e."

Which would make the name pronounced "Khlo-ay" right? However, Whitney pronounces it the standard English way "Khlo-ee."

Funny enough, if she loved the flair of these marks so much, she could have just put an umlaut over the "e" and it would be pronounced the way she wants it to be. 

And yes, I realize I care about all of this way too much. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

It's an acute accent (which I learned as accent aigu?) over the "e."

Which would make the name pronounced "Khlo-ay" right? However, Whitney pronounces it the standard English way "Khlo-ee."

Funny enough, if she loved the flair of these marks so much, she could have just put an umlaut over the "e" and it would be pronounced the way she wants it to be. 

And yes, I realize I care about all of this way too much. 

Sorry, I meant to say in my original post that while the umlaut over the "e" wouldn't make sense in French (I actually didn't know that, but that's interesting), I think it would be more similar to the traditional English spelling?

Just realized my original response comes off as unintentionally huffy. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 2

In Dutch Chloë is spelled with an umlaut on the e, and pronounced Klo-ee. In French it's pronounced more like Klo-ay, right? In that case the accent on the e makes sense. In Whitney's case it make no sense at all and it annoys me to no end. 

• Upvote 6

I really think Whitney has absolutely no clue what accents are, and why you would use one and not the other. Which is perfectly fine - if she never learned a language that uses accents, why should she know about them? I just think it makes no sense for her to use one in her child's name in that case...

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

Just sitting here listening to Mötley Crüe while eating Häagen-Dazs, reading these posts about how we Americans don't understand accents. : )

[its true, we don't]

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 22

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Just sitting here listening to Mötley Crüe while eating Häagen-Dazs, reading these posts about how we Americans don't understand accents. : )

[its true, we don't]

What's funny about Häagen-Dazs is that it's actually an American company founded by a Jewish family in NYC. They picked a Danish-inspired name as a thank-you to the Danes for their protection of Jewish people during the Holocaust.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

What's funny about Häagen-Dazs is that it's actually an American company founded by a Jewish family in NYC. They picked a Danish-inspired name as a thank-you to the Danes for their protection of Jewish people during the Holocaust.

Yup. And Danish doesn't use umlauts. And of course the boys of Mötley Crüe wouldn't know an umlaut from a umbrella

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

A friend spelt her daughter’s name Zoe with an ‘ over the e. I googled it To see why she used it, it said that it makes the vowel sound like it’s letter. So instead of rhyming with joe it’s pronounced Zo ee. I thought it made sense personally. Because English is a weird language and Joe and Zoe should sound the same. That being said, I still thought it was stupid and left the ‘ off my baby, Zoe. I personally kind of thought I am not (whatever language that uses ‘ background) so it would be pretentious to spell it like that. Zoe is Greek and I’m not Greek. So that ruins that though. 
was google steering me wrong?

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Sorry, I meant to say in my original post that while the umlaut over the "e" wouldn't make sense in French (I actually didn't know that, but that's interesting), I think it would be more similar to the traditional English spelling?

Just realized my original response comes off as unintentionally huffy. 

Oh no huffy from me. No worries. Yes it is called the accent aigu but I didn't know if people would know what it meant. Khloé would indeed be pronunced ''Klo-ay''

I googled more info on the French tréma and turns out I was wrong. It could be possible to use it in the name Khloë. Not gonna lie, french-speaking people don't know their own grammar rule because French grammar makes no sense (here I said it). In French, the umlaut can be placed on the vowels ''e'', ''i'', ''u" (and rarely ''y" in proper nouns) to indicate, normally, that the preceding vowel must be pronounced separately and isnot part of the syllable. For example, the word ''maïs'' (corn) is pronounced ''ma-iss''. The umlaut on the ''i'' indicates that this letter most not be associated with the ''a''. The letter under the umlaut must be pronounced separately.

So if we follow that grammar rule, I guess if a french person would use the umlaut in that name, it would make the pronunciation closer to the English spelling (but thinking about it, the letter ''e'' with no accent is often a silent letter in French, which would make it even more strange - man my head hurts!?)

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

A friend spelt her daughter’s name Zoe with an ‘ over the e. I googled it To see why she used it, it said that it makes the vowel sound like it’s letter. So instead of rhyming with joe it’s pronounced Zo ee. I thought it made sense personally. Because English is a weird language and Joe and Zoe should sound the same. That being said, I still thought it was stupid and left the ‘ off my baby, Zoe. I personally kind of thought I am not (whatever language that uses ‘ background) so it would be pretentious to spell it like that. Zoe is Greek and I’m not Greek. So that ruins that though. 
was google steering me wrong?

Zoé (accent in the e) is the Spanish name, too. Sounds like Thoh-éh.

But some people prefer to use Zoe (with no accent) and pronounce it with the stress in the O. 

In Spanish, the stress mark makes words sound different and there are officual language spelling regulations. So you cannot use freely. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Alyssa has a new  video up, cooking chicken pot pie with Lexie.

I will commend her for not using any cream of crap soup and adding fresh chicken and vegetables, even seasoning (though lots of salt! Their taste buds must be used to that. I also never heard of adding brown sugar to the mix). I was ready to criticize but the only thing was she put the carrots on the cold pan first then added butter for it to heat up, and no onions or celery. But that's more a criticism of the recipe. I do remember though in a video that Tori also didnt know you have to hear a pan up before adding food to it, in the video where Erin taught her to make chicken caprese. It's crazy with such a big family and lots of cooking they dont have that basic skill.

Alyssa, are you reading here?

• Upvote 5

On 9/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, HereticHick said:

If Macy actually means "gift from god" in any major language I'll eat my Bates Sisters Boutique-style hat.  I just can't with these fundies who just believe any name "meaning" that they read off a random clickbait website.

Well, you can buy a gift from Macy's, so in Alyssa's mind, that's close enough!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

44 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Tikki’s at it again. Hadn’t heard from her in a while. She really freaking spends $$ on the Bates. 

Hide contents

06DB01E7-D8B6-4D35-AE9A-A7D35ED36CD2.thumb.jpeg.31b6d3759c63b85bea7a77e2f202d48a.jpeg

I don't know that I want to open this can of worms, but a baby registry for gifts for her 4th girl in what, 5 years? Just seems a little...tacky imo..

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6

41 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I don't know that I want to open this can of worms, but a baby registry for gifts for her 4th girl in what, 5 years? Just seems a little...tacky imo..

I'll admit it. I thought the same thing. I could see needing 1-2 things but those are major gift items she's asking and receiving. 

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

It's super tacky. Alyssa really seems to have inherited Gil's shamelessness in taking things from people. More so than any of her other siblings.

It really comes off like a large reason for her instagram is as a vehicle for soliciting gifts from fans. 

• Upvote 15

3 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

I'll admit it. I thought the same thing. I could see needing 1-2 things but those are major gift items she's asking and receiving. 

I had to look up what that "swing' even was, we had a fisher price that had a mobile. For that price it better feed and burp the kid too. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Tikki’s at it again. Hadn’t heard from her in a while. She really freaking spends $$ on the Bates. 

Thanks for sharing that post, I'll admit going to Alyssa's instagram and looking for it and it is not there. Was this on a different social media?  In a Duggar thread it was mentioned that Jill posted a pic of being with Jessa and kid(s) and I also could not find that on instagram. Are these folks also on Twitter? I created an account on Instagram just for stalking these people and I draw the line there, lol.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, freethemall said:

lots of salt! Their taste buds must be used to that. I also never heard of adding brown sugar to the mix

It does make sense that they'd be used to a lot of salt since they seem to eat an awful lot of fast food.

Also, I'm with @HereticHick on the name "Maci" meaning "gift of God." It's such a stretch! The most common meaning of the name is "weapon." I found one website where they claimed it meant "hill." I think their reasoning for it meaning "gift of God" is because it might be some variation of the name "Matthew" (according to some sources).

@Bobology she featured the the tikky gift on her story.

Edited by Perrierwithlemon
words are hard
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I'll go there: it's completely tacky.

I'm totally pro sprinkle (a Zoom sprinkle for current times), but full shower? Please. Alyssa is a chip off the old block as it comes to the art of the grift.

Edit: Gah, @nausicaaI didn't even see your comment, I got so up in arms over the level of tacky I didn't even read below ? Good to know I"m not alone.

Edited by CaptainFunderpants
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

On 9/20/2020 at 4:30 PM, HereticHick said:

If Macy actually means "gift from god" in any major language I'll eat my Bates Sisters Boutique-style hat.  I just can't with these fundies who just believe any name "meaning" that they read off a random clickbait website.

Not a very direct association, but it does seem to be legit:

Macy From Matthew's Estate, Mattea, Gift of God, Weapon

Most places tie to Maccius, which ties it to Matthew, thus the gift of God

https://www.nameslist.org/english/baby-names/means?mean=Gift of God&gen=Girl&pg=6

More:

Origin of Maci

Maci is a form of Macy and was originally derived from an English surname, that comes from the French town Massy. Massy derived from the Roman name Maccius, which originates in the name Matthew.

Meaning of Maci

Maci means “gift of Yahweh” (from Hebrew “mattath” = gift + “jahwe” = Hebrew name of God).

https://charlies-names.com/en/maci/

• Thank You 2

Alyssa is rapidly becoming my least favourite fundie. What a freakin freeloader. She doesn’t seem to be hosting a party for a full on baby shower (at least). She is shameless putting up a registry for a fourth baby. Maybe if there was ten years between three and four then I could understand. Even then, it’s not for someone else to be expected to pay for your baby. Holy shit can you imagine her registery if this baby has of been a boy. Again I would have still thought it was tacky. But I can imagine people being more excited and wanting to by boy clothes (gifts) because she  would only have girl hand me downs. That’s is ok to accept gifts of love not freeload. If that makes sense. She is a freeloading Mrs Trunchbowl as far as I am concerned. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Bobology said:

Thanks for sharing that post, I'll admit going to Alyssa's instagram and looking for it and it is not there. Was this on a different social media?  In a Duggar thread it was mentioned that Jill posted a pic of being with Jessa and kid(s) and I also could not find that on instagram. Are these folks also on Twitter? I created an account on Instagram just for stalking these people and I draw the line there, lol.

They're posted in stories, you have to click on their profile picture. They disappear after 24 hours though. They should appear at the top of your instagram feed as well, just scroll across until you find the profile of who you want to watch.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic