IGNORED

COVID-19 Cartoons, Memes, and Shenanigans Part 2

GreyhoundFan

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

20200428_gt3.JPG

Sigh. In addition to Covid-19, my 2020 has included the second strongest earthquake on record for my state, a gust of wind that blew a tree branch onto (and a little bit through) our roof, and finding out that a good friend's husband (also a friend; he's a great guy) is fighting pancreatic cancer. I'll settle for 2021 being boring. :sigh:

Tidbit about the earthquake:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2020-03-31-22-57-40_kindlephoto-63519779.thumb.png.3a6fdc3987e2af75010ce13d9ccf425c.pngScreenshot_2020-03-31-22-57-48_kindlephoto-218422728.png.4e3aba3c8d7c7369581b439edc5384f4.png

Oh, and my phone died, which means I am stuck using my Kindle, which is great for reading, but less great for e-mail, internet, etc. (Whine over, for now.)

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Added screenshot, fixed empty quote box
  • Love 19

20200428_jones1.JPG.61191b545fcf4d2ae153d13cd468c4e4.JPG

"Damn Yankees"

Mitch McConnell would rather states go bankrupt than receive federal money for bailouts during the coronavirus pandemic. Specifically, he’d rather blue states go bankrupt.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo who’s been schooling Republicans throughout this crisis and has been demonstrating real leadership while Donald Trump’s been more focused on his hurt feelings, said “This is really one of the dumb ideas of all time,” while explaining bankrupted states would devastate the economy for the entire nation. Of course, McConnell doesn’t get that because he’s a Republican, and Republicans don’t do well with the economy. There was the Ronald Reagan recession, the George H.W. Bush recession, the George W. Bush recession, and now we have the Donald Trump recession. Republicans create recessions and even depressions (Hoover) and Democrats (Roosevelt) pull us out of them.

Larry Hogan, a Republican governor, said about McConnell’s stupid and selfish policy, “Mitch McConnell probably regrets saying that. If he doesn’t regret it yet, I think he will regret it. . . . The last thing we need in the middle of an economic crisis is to have states all filing bankruptcy all across America and not able to provide services to people who desperately need them.”

McConnell doesn’t regret it. He doubled-down and said, “There’s not going to be any desire on the Republican side to bail out state pensions by borrowing money from future generations.” McConnell is a hypocrite. While there’s no desire on the Republican side to bail out states and American citizens, there’s plenty of “desire” to give billionaires and corporations tax cuts and bailouts that borrow from future generations. I’ve never heard McConnell complain about borrowing from future generations to finance the $133 million spent on Donald Trump’s golf trips.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted, “Republican Senators: Raise your hand if you think your state should go bankrupt.” In a year heavy with more Republican Senate seats being contested than Democratic seats, yeah…go campaign on your state going bankrupt. Please, please, please. Mitch McConnell is up for reelection this year. I’d like to see him tell Kentucky they should go bankrupt. In fact, I “desire” to see him run that campaign. But, McConnell isn’t going to run on his own stupid ideas any more than Donald Trump’s going to start drinking Clorox.

McConnell’s office put out a document supporting his policy titled, “Stopping Blue State Bailouts.” Governor Andrew Cuomo took issue with that.

Governor Cuomo said allowing states to go bankrupt would be “irresponsible and reckless.” He also said, “This is not the time or the place or the situation to start your divisive politics. It’s not red and blue. It’s red, white and blue.” Then he pointed out something that will forever go over all Republicans’ heads.

Kentucky, McConnell’s state, receives more federal dollars for services than its taxpayers contribute, while New York pays out more than it receives. Cuomo said, “It’s your state that is living on the money that we generate. Your state is getting bailed out. Not my state.”

Boom! Bam! Mic drop, baby! Kentucky is sucking on New York’s teat. Maybe that’s why their grass is so darn blue.

New Jersey Democratic Governor Phil Murphy said, “Encouraging, explicitly almost hoping for bankruptcies of American states in the midst of the biggest health-care crisis this country has ever faced, is completely and utterly irresponsible.”

And then, Peter King, a Republican Congressman from New York stated, “To say that it is ‘free money’ to provide funds for cops, firefighters and healthcare workers makes McConnell the Marie Antoinette of the Senate.”

McConnell said blue states are seeking free money after mismanaging their finances. Donald Trump tweeted something similar yesterday.

Trump tweeted, “Why should the people and taxpayers of America be bailing out poorly run states (like Illinois, as example) and cities, in all cases Democrat run and managed, when most of the other states are not looking for bailout help? I am open to discussing anything, but just asking?”

Let’s address that, shall we?

First off, this is some divisive shit from the guy who accused Democrats of playing politics. It’s another distraction during a pandemic to make us hate each other.

Secondly, The states with the poorest finances, and largest debts, are Republican-run states. The states with the biggest welfare rolls are Republican-run states. The states that receive more from the federal government than they put in (like Kentucky) are…wait for it…Republican-run states.

While Donald Trump, who received bailout after bailout from his daddy while bankrupting businesses in an industry where customers budget how much money they’re going to lose to you, and Mitch McConnell don’t believe that American citizens in blue states should be bailed out. But, poorly-run companies like those in the airline industry that uses all their profits on stock buybacks should be bailed out. Shake Shack, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Potbelly Sandwich, and even the Los Angeles Lakers can get bailouts, but a blue state hit hardest by the virus shouldn’t. And states being hit harder by the virus doesn’t have anything to do with how they’re managed. There is more density in urban areas like New York, Chicago, and Detroit (in case you’re a Republican, “density” means the number of people in an area or space…not a term for how dense Trump supporters are).

Why should any state be better prepared for a virus “that came out of nowhere” than the Trump administration? Also, keep in mind these states are asking for help during a pandemic made worse by Donald Trump’s ignorance, stupidity, and total and utter failure as a president and human being.

And while Donald Trump doesn’t believe the U.S. government should spend U.S. taxpayers money on U.S. states, he’s all about the Euro being spent on his companies. Donald Trump’s resorts (U.S. companies, by the way) in Europe are seeking…wait for it…bailouts. Is the Trump Organization poorly managed? Well, it was managed by Donald Trump (who’s doing such a swell job of managing the United States. Another example of sarcasm), and it today managed by idiot-son-number-one, Donald Jr and idiot-son-number-two, Eric.

I highly discourage the United Kingdom and the European Union from providing bailouts to poorly-run, grifting corporations.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

20200428_gt3.JPG

Well there are locust swarms across large parts of Africa, Krakatoa appears to be erupting again in Indonesia... So I'm guessing 2021 is either asteroid or Nickelback. Or both at this rate.

Oh and Australia is now looking at getting copious amounts of rain, which is both good and bad, not least because we'll probably have major flooding. If we could avoid the famine part of McKellar's poem this year ("through flood and fire and famine/she pays us back threefold"[1]) it'd be helpful.

[1]hoping that's right, half-remembered from a choral version I sang in over 30 years ago. Still know the alto line apparently.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

64BDE81F-9F68-4E27-BF4D-9903A7AE2A21.thumb.jpeg.81d779699386031886b25a3ff6dce99d.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/28/2020 at 2:04 AM, Audrey2 said:

Just think- these people are supervising school at home!

No they're not... thayre to bussy protaisting too tik car off thear kidz edumacations!

• Haha 9

FC361A68-E3D4-481F-87A3-ECBB73613F91.jpeg.c4a511fa922d923942f13642a93ceaf9.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Love 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic