IGNORED

House of Representatives 2: Nancy is in Charge

GreyhoundFan

20 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Mentally bracing for a set of coworkers/friends who will immediately begin whining about how much money teens and college students (who apparently  use it for beer money*) will be getting and how the minimum wage doesn't affect 'real adults.'

Feel free to tell them to fuck right off for me. Everyone, regardless of age, deserves to paid enough to afford a decent 1 bedroom apartment somewhere. 

• I Agree 14

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Mentally bracing for a set of coworkers/friends who will immediately begin whining about how much money teens and college students (who apparently  use it for beer money*) will be getting and how the minimum wage doesn't affect 'real adults.'

*no, seriously.  That was a smile and nod moment for me because this college student made minimum/just above minimum during college but was financing her car and education and could have used more money and didn't drink/party.

My question to those people is this:

Do you think stores and fast food restaurants should be open during the day. If so, who do you think should staff them? Remember, students are in school at that time (including most but not all college students). If you are good with stores and fast food places not opening until after 4, then you can complain about raising the minimum wage. Otherwise, be quiet.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I imagine that if minimum wage employers were forced to double their employers' wages immediately without warning a bunch of people would end up getting fired. Some employers would be able to afford it outside their budgets but others wouldn't have the extra cash lying around.

Which is why you could phase it over a year. If you spread the implementation over five years, and the amount stays the same, inflation will make that fifteen dollars worth even less. That would make the raise moot, as it wouldn’t even come close to a living wage.

Also, firing people because you can’t afford to pay them means you have a business model that is faulty. If your business goes under because of it, you’re doing something wrong. If you can only stay afloat by not paying living wages, you need to change the way you do business or get out of that business. Up your prices, lower your spending. And remember, giving people a living wage means they can spend more. Giving people a living wage ensures higher productivity from your employees as they don’t have to work multiple jobs just to get by (leaving them too tired for the best productivity).

Plus, we’re not only talking about small businesses here, which might get into financial trouble. Do you really think the likes of Amazon will go under because Jeff Bezos can’t afford to pay his employees a measly 15 dollars an hour?

The stranglehold that big companies have on the American economy is built on the exploitation of the poor. Keeping them poor is in their interests. Americans have been brainwashed into thinking it’s hard to give people living wages and businesses will go bust when they do. It’s a lie meant to enrich the rich. And as long as big donors and lobbyists can buy policies, you’ll be fed that lie over and over again.

Think about it, if other countries (like mine) can ensure minimum living wages and still have thriving economies, why can’t the US? Is it because they can’t— or they won’t?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Reading the news this morning I was confused about why I was having such a visceral reaction to the newly appointed Chamber of Commerce chief executive in Queenstown in New Zealand. Looking at her photo was upsetting me. I guess she reminds me of Marjorie Taylor Greene.
image.jpeg.16fc578273b8f67dba8dcbee400175c2.jpeg

Edited by Mrs Ms
Wrong job title
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Idiotic Florida Man being extra stupid:

*runs to follow Rick Wilson...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Plus, we’re not only talking about small businesses here, which might get into financial trouble. Do you really think the likes of Amazon will go under because Jeff Bezos can’t afford to pay his employees a measly 15 dollars an hour?

The stranglehold that big companies have on the American economy is built on the exploitation of the poor. Keeping them poor is in their interests. Americans have been brainwashed into thinking it’s hard to give people living wages and businesses will go bust when they do. It’s a lie meant to enrich the rich. And as long as big donors and lobbyists can buy policies, you’ll be fed that lie over and over again.

The problem with large companies is they are beholden to shareholders. Most large companies are solely concerned with keeping stock prices high, so shareholders benefit. Paying rank and file employees a fair wage would change the balance sheet and shareholders wouldn't earn as much profit. Unfortunately, CEOs and Boards of Directors cater to shareholders for two reasons: they are also shareholders and want to enrich themselves, and if they don't "perform" at a high enough level (putting money in already full pockets), they will be replaced.

The company I work for certainly adheres to this model. Over 90% of our higher salary jobs and 75% of lower wage jobs have been offshored to Asia, even though our customers are unhappy and complain. We are also on year three of no promotions. And my merit increase in 2020 was 0.7%, even though our company did quite well during the pandemic.  My health insurance premiums went up 10.24% this year. Sadly, this is not an uncommon situation.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Destiny said:

Feel free to tell them to fuck right off for me. Everyone, regardless of age, deserves to paid enough to afford a decent 1 bedroom apartment somewhere. 

DOYC forbid that a person willing to work should be paid a decent wage.

(I’ve also heard that “minimum wage is for teens earning pocket money or moms saving to buy Christmas presents.”)

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The problem with large companies is they are beholden to shareholders. Most large companies are solely concerned with keeping stock prices high, so shareholders benefit. Paying rank and file employees a fair wage would change the balance sheet and shareholders wouldn't earn as much profit. Unfortunately, CEOs and Boards of Directors cater to shareholders for two reasons: they are also shareholders and want to enrich themselves, and if they don't "perform" at a high enough level (putting money in already full pockets), they will be replaced.

The company I work for certainly adheres to this model. Over 90% of our higher salary jobs and 75% of lower wage jobs have been offshored to Asia, even though our customers are unhappy and complain. We are also on year three of no promotions. And my merit increase in 2020 was 0.7%, even though our company did quite well during the pandemic.  My health insurance premiums went up 10.24% this year. Sadly, this is not an uncommon situation.

What actually bothers me the most about all this is that living, breathing human beings aren’t seen as real life people, but as items of expenditure. :angry-teeth:

• I Agree 11

20 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

This is the psychosis caucus.

MTG is so far out there now that she's actually making some a few a very few of her GOP colleagues nervous. Sorry, folks, you created that monster, you deal with it. Soon, please.

From https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/27/gops-marjorie-taylor-greene-problem-is-spinning-out-control:

Republicans knew they had a Marjorie Taylor Greene problem back in the summer of 2020 when she was running for Congress. House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) called the QAnon supporter’s comments about Black people and Muslims “disgusting,” while a spokesman for House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) called them “appalling.” Scalise backed her primary opponent.

Then she won, and Republicans tried to put a good face on it — even falsely claiming she had disavowed QAnon and suggesting the country should move on.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, fraurosena said:

He already is, at least in states that have a $15/hour minimum wage statute. Biden's proposal is for a higher minimum wage for jobs in the federal government. And I agree about the companies that can't afford to pay a living wage needing to rethink their business model. Same goes for non-profit organizations. A friend who was the executive director of a non-profit, and who was otherwise very much in the progressive camps, was anti-$15-minimum wage because they felt it would put some social service non-profits out of business, because they relied on staff who didn't really need the paycheck because they had spouses with high-paying jobs. To which I replied that then they should go under and their para-volunteers could spend their time lobbying the government to provide appropriate services to their clientele.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

What actually bothers me the most about all this is that living, breathing human beings aren’t seen as real life people, but as items of expenditure. :angry-teeth:

On shareholder reports and internal documents, workers are typically referred to as "resources" or "labor units"

• Sad 3
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

On shareholder reports and internal documents, workers are typically referred to as "resources" or "labor units"

The dehuminization is atrocious, isn't it?

• I Agree 11

MTG is attempting to scrub her social media.  (MTG apparently doesn't understand 'the internet is forever')

• Thank You 8

Stupid Florida Man being extra stupid.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic