IGNORED

House of Representatives 2: Nancy is in Charge

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

After hearing about the insanely high rise in anti-Semitism in this country (and around the world), my non-religious-but-raised-as-a-secular-Christian husband can't stop apologizing to me, a Jew. Story after story that comes out, he just looks at me so sadly and says "I'm so sorry". It's sad; he shouldn't have to apologize to me just because I'm a non-Christian in AMERICA.

Since (non-Orthodox) Jews tend to lean to the left, a lot of the Jewish content I follow since the George Floyd protests has been encouraging the fight for civil/human rights by taking an intersectional approach: marginalized groups need to support each other's causes to attain change. Whether it's equality for women, for the Black community, for the LGBTQ+ community, or the Jewish community (and again, the Black female queer Jew, who inevitably gets left behind), there needs to be a collective push for the advancement of equality (that obviously is NOT #AllLivesMatter). 

Your post reminds me of something I'm watching right now.

The Great Courses is available for free via my public library on Kanopy - without it counting against my monthly selection/views tally.  And Sunday I started watching the 24 part series on The Black Death.  (I'm 19 or so into the series now).  And among the behaviors triggered during that era - was antisemitism.  Also - the behaviors I've seen over the last year rather does compare to stuff that happened in that era. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Your post reminds me of something I'm watching right now.

The Great Courses is available for free via my public library on Kanopy - without it counting against my monthly selection/views tally.  And Sunday I started watching the 24 part series on The Black Death.  (I'm 19 or so into the series now).  And among the behaviors triggered during that era - was antisemitism.  Also - the behaviors I've seen over the last year rather does compare to stuff that happened in that era. 

I took a class in college titled "German Culture and the Jewish Question" and it explored roots of Anti-Semitism back to the middle ages. 

We also read a section of Mein Kampf in the class, which our professor printed out the selection for us. However, it was still a very weird feeling walking around with a copy of Mein Kampf in my backpack....

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

Nancy has had enough of Qevin McCarthy (Q-CA) 

• Thank You 9

Okay, so yesterday I was in the office and super focused on in the office stuff (because big stack o' printing/scanning to do & meeting with bosses etc). 

Does anyone have a list of exactly which idiot Rep House Members gave Whackjob MTG the standing O?  Because I want to know if mine was one of them. 

• Upvote 2

I despise McCarthy more every day: "Despite denouncing QAnon months ago, Kevin McCarthy now says, ‘I don’t even know what it is’"

After a private meeting Wednesday night of the House Republican conference meant to hold together an increasingly divided party, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) defended controversial freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.). But as he lauded Greene’s apology to Republicans for her history of outrageous rhetoric on social media, McCarthy also claimed that the extremist ideology she supports was foreign to him.

“I think it would be helpful if you could hear exactly what she told all of us — denouncing Q-on, I don’t know if I say it right, I don’t even know what it is,” said McCarthy, referring to QAnon, a radicalized movement based on false claims that the FBI has deemed a domestic terrorism threat.

McCarthy’s comment set off immediate backlash, with critics pointing out that the minority leader has addressed QAnon before in TV interviews and at news conferences.

“He has said QAnon before. He knows full well what QAnon is,” MSNBC’s Brian Williams said Wednesday night.

On CNN, Chris Cuomo noted that QAnon played a major role in the attempted insurrection in the Capitol last month.

“You should just remind him next time you see him: Remember all those signs that the people were holding up as they savagely attacked our Capitol? Remember it said QAnon? That’s QAnon,” Cuomo said Wednesday night after showing a clip of McCarthy’s comments

A spokeswoman for McCarthy did not immediately respond to a message from The Washington Post early Thursday.

McCarthy’s response came after he chose not to revoke Greene’s committee roles as a rebuke for her comments online that encouraged political violence and pushed anti-Semitic falsehoods. Greene has falsely claimed the California wildfires were caused by lasers in space owned by a coterie of Jewish bankers and that the Christchurch mosque shootings in New Zealand and the mass shooting in Parkland, Fla., were examples of a “false flag” operation.

Greene has not publicly denounced QAnon. She has also not publicly apologized for her posts on social media and recently maintained on Twitter that she “will never apologize.”

Democrats plan to hold a House vote on Thursday to remove the representative from her committee assignments.

Despite McCarthy claiming ignorance of QAnon, he has referenced it in past interviews. In an Aug. 20 interview with Fox News’s Shannon Bream, McCarthy condemned the extremist ideology.

“Let me be very clear, there is no place for QAnon in the Republican Party. I do not support it,” he said.

During a news conference in November, a reporter asked McCarthy if he had concerns about new members like Greene and Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), who have supported QAnon, potentially creating controversy for the House GOP. The House minority leader responded that both representatives “denounced Q-on,” mispronouncing QAnon.

QAnon played a central role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by radicalizing many of the rioters, The Post reported. Many of the people who stormed the Capitol had clothing and flags promoting QAnon.

In response to McCarthy’s comments and his decision not to censure Greene, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called the minority leader a “coward” for ignoring calls from Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and other prominent party members to sideline the Georgia representative.

“As No 2. Senate Republican John Thune warned Tuesday, McCarthy has chosen to make House Republicans ‘the party of conspiracy theories and QAnon’ and Rep. Greene is in the driver’s seat,” Pelosi said in a statement.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

Amazing how many Republicans there are in Congress who like to pretend they don't watch or read any news and never heard about anything that everyone else who paid any attention is well aware of.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Amazing how many Republicans there are in Congress who like to pretend they don't watch or read any news and never heard about anything that everyone else who paid any attention is well aware of.

They only pretend to not watch or read news when it's negative for their party. If it's negative about Dems, they are quick to parrot Faux/OANN/Newsmax trash at great length.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Okay, so yesterday I was in the office and super focused on in the office stuff (because big stack o' printing/scanning to do & meeting with bosses etc). 

Does anyone have a list of exactly which idiot Rep House Members gave Whackjob MTG the standing O?  Because I want to know if mine was one of them. 

Wasn’t MTG just scolded?  On the Liz Cheney vote, the 61 votes against her were probably the same folks who embrace MTG.  Unfortunately, the vote was secret.  Here’s an excerpt from a CNN article:

“While we don't know for sure who the 61 dissenters were and whether Gaetz was one of them -- the vote was, lamely, conducted via secret ballot -- it's pretty safe to assume that the five dozen votes opposing Cheney came from the wing of the party most closely aligned with the 45th President.” 
ETA - oops, you meant the House vote - sorry I misread.  

Edited by CTRLZero
Misread - sorry!
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Right?  They would apparently rather be proven uninformed ignoramuses than cross "the base."  The inmates run the asylum, indeed.  

• Upvote 7

This is a good speech:

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Gym needs to shut up.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

I am not familiar with this yahoo. Frankly, I hope I never hear of or from him again:

• Thank You 4

Steny Hoyer - they are not the squad.  I may be in love with the fact that he came with a visual aid.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

At least Magda Taylor Goebbels now has more time to research dangers for the American people ... has anyone looked into whether the Jewish space lasers are connected the ChemTrails? Can you tell if a ChemTrail is Jewish? 

• Haha 13

10 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.5eb25747e82357a08cceeccae90b4e30.png

Candidates are already lining up to either primary Boebert or run against her in the next election, but I'm not confident that either is competitive.  

Boebert's district is weird - all of the West Slope of Colorado (rural, conservative, lots of Mormons with more than a smattering of Sovereign Citizen/militia types); largest city is Grand Junction (pop 62,000). Then it swings far enough to the southeast to pick up Pueblo on the Front Range. 

The Democrat who has declared is a woman from ski resort Vail, CO, so good luck with that.    The Republican is an ex (retired?) Marine, wealthy CEO who does't not have deep roots in CO.  He owns a ranch that was originally his vacation ranch and it hasn't been his permanent address for very long.  

• Thank You 12

Seeing Matt Gaetz always makes me wanna slap somebody.. preferably him.. and I'm not a violent person per se.. he's just so ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

Seeing Matt Gaetz always makes me wanna slap somebody.. preferably him.. and I'm not a violent person per se.. he's just so ?

Smug. He always looks smug to me. Insufferable would also work.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic