IGNORED

Maxwell 36: Wearing What Some Might Call an Outer Garment While Dealing with Cancer in the Family

Coconut Flan

So the Maxhells don’t have to worry about the virus because Jesus.  What a stupid, ignorant and selfish statement.  If this were true Anna Marie wouldn’t have gotten cancer.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

I think I figured it out? Anyway, here ya go, Maxhell. A little “psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs” for you.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 10

I guess they mean the don't "worry" about getting it, because they know where they'll go when they die, and all that.

But, as some of their commenters pointed out, they do have to worry about transmitting it to others.  And Steve and Teri, as well as GiGi are in the high risk category. 

So yes, very selfish, I agree.

And really, that business of not worrying about disease 'cause they know where their going when they die is B.S.  Otherwise, why did they change their whole way of eating after Steve had his heart procedure?  In fact, why have a heart procedure at all then?

Of course they worry...when it affects them.

• Upvote 17

A friend of mine & I were talking about this yesterday. We both agreed that if anyone - anyone - tried to give us a Jesus talk they'd end up with whatever we are drinking poured over their head at best, a smack at worst. 

How unimaginably selfish & arrogant do you have to be to even think trying to convert someone in a time of weakness/fear is a decent thing to do? 

And, I agree. If the fact that they know where they're going when they die (and I can't tell you enough how thrilled I am it's NOT the same place I am going) why bother dealing with any medical issue at all? Let their god do as he will and live (and die) with it. They're hypocrites. They don't live in peace because they believe they're going to some heaven with some god so they get medical procedures & alter their diets & "work out" to stay healthy. Yet, they want to fuck with the head of others who admit they're not at peace with something, medically, physically, etc. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

If any of them get the virus we will never know cuz they won't post it.  They might even have it know.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

And, I agree. If the fact that they know where they're going when they die (and I can't tell you enough how thrilled I am it's NOT the same place I am going) why bother dealing with any medical issue at all? Let their god do as he will and live (and die) with it. They're hypocrites. They don't live in peace because they believe they're going to some heaven with some god so they get medical procedures & alter their diets & "work out" to stay healthy. Yet, they want to fuck with the head of others who admit they're not at peace with something, medically, physically, etc. 

Based on a similar type of discussion with a rabid fundie (not CV-19 related but the concept works), they'll turn it around with a 'sanctity of life' argument.  Something along the lines that not taking reasonable steps to manage their personal health, including accessible medical procedures, would constitute deliberate self harm.  Deliberating harming or neglecting the gift of the body - and therefore the life - that He has given you is a sin etc.

I don't disagree with the basic principle that we should, as far as we are able, look after ourselves and access medical care as appropriate.  I did disagree with puke inducing, self-righteous smugness with which the explanation was delivered.

• Upvote 10

On 3/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, Jasmar said:

I think I figured it out? Anyway, here ya go, Maxhell. A little “psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs” for you.

Yeeeaaass. I love that song.  And my second favorite hymn is.... ?

Spoiler

• Haha 3
  • Love 2

Now Teri is giving tips on what to do with your kids now that schools are closed. Of course, the first two are “have family devotions” and “encourage them to have personal Bible time”. Good grief!! 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Now Teri is giving tips on what to do with your kids now that schools are closed. Of course, the first two are “have family devotions” and “encourage them to have personal Bible time”. Good grief!! 

And she puts in one whole hour for academics on her sample schedule!  I'm not saying kids have to spend hours and hours on academics at home, but an hour seems pretty skimpy, especially for older elementary ages and up.

And most public schools (at least the ones near me) are having lessons on-line.

• Upvote 13

Bible time, chores, organize, school work, blah blah

Those kids will be bored out of their minds in a couple of days

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

38 minutes ago, freejugar said:

I'm bored just reading it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

But won't ceiling fans need dusting  by then?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

And she puts in one whole hour for academics on her sample schedule!  I'm not saying kids have to spend hours and hours on academics at home, but an hour seems pretty skimpy, especially for older elementary ages and up.

And most public schools (at least the ones near me) are having lessons on-line.

That schedule goes a long way to explaining why Sarah struggles so much with the fundamentals of English grammar - one or at the most 2 hours of academics is grossly insufficient.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

That one hour of “academics” includes all of things: “schoolwork, internet worksheets, letter writing, children read aloud.” 

I don’t know how curriculum works but that sounds like an awful lot crammed into a measly amount of time! And is that for all the kids? As in, all of them supposedly get a sufficient education in the same one hour block? No wonder crappy homeschooling makes such a big deal about the kids being able to learn on their own!

Disclaimer: there are things young kids can do on their own and by high school many parents who have done homeschooling well will have high schoolers able to self-teach. They are not the ones I’m referring to. 

• Upvote 7

Maxwells are positively clueless. 

They forgot to add send the kids to their rooms when you are tired of dealing with them because they are driving you nuts.  Wasn’t that Terri’s go to parenting response. 

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 11

When I was home schooled I spent about an hour a day on school. Mostly did math and English. I read a lot on my own. My mom said that she was so busy home schooling my older brother that she didn’t have time for my younger brother and I. One hour of schooling a day, maybe two tops, put me behind when I finally did go out for school. 
I’ve known some parents that used schedules for home schooling. It worked well for them. Scheduling teaches time management. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I am channeling Teri these last two days.  Working from home is great in some ways and I'm very lucky to be able to do so, but I'm struggling.  I have my set up, I'm organized, but I'm finding I need to schedule myself in ridiculous small increments to stay on task.

And anxiety of just feeling off.  I have worked from home before but as a freelancer, on my schedule.  Working cooperatively with others during work hours is completely different.

The difference between Teri and I is that I didn't choose this, it's a temporary thing beyond my control and I'm doing the best I can.  In fact I've never sought permanent WFH opportunities because I know I don't have the temperament?  Mind-set?  See, suddenly being home I'm bad at words :) .

Seriously, though...throughout my life (long before I'd ever heard of the Maxwells) when I'd find myself scheduling and micromanaging my life into tiny segments it was always due to some major anxiety or situation where I needed to regain emotional control.  

You aren't fooling anyone, Teri.  Your advice doesn't make a workable long term solution.  Your advice helps one get through a short term storm of anxiety until one can find and resolve the root cause.

• Upvote 12

45 minutes ago, Syriana said:

That schedule goes a long way to explaining why Sarah struggles so much with the fundamentals of English grammar - one or at the most 2 hours of academics is grossly insufficient.

That, and the fact that virtually no reading of fiction was allowed. Stevehovah famously said, “My children don’t read—they write”—but you can’t learn how to write well unless you read the works of a variety of good writers.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

I wonder whether Teri and Steve have had some negative feedback from their humpers over the utter selfishness of that "Possible Good" post.  I notice some of their followers have better advice than they do.  Here's JenniferL (my bolding(:

A lot of churches (including my own) are meeting via Zoom or Skype or other online forums. I’m pretty much isolated at home because my parents are in their 80s and both have very high risk medical conditions. I only go to the grocery store and pharmacy when it is absolutely necessary. But I check in with friends online every day, especially those who don’t have family nearby.

I was actually born during a major flu epidemic. No one was allowed to come and see me, so my parents took me around to the relatives’ houses in their car and everyone was allowed to look at me through the car window. When one branch of the extended family got sick, my dad brought them medicine and groceries, but he left them on the porch so he wouldn’t bring home any germs. I mention this here because someone reading this might be able to do the same for family, friends, neighbors, or even strangers in need.

Thank you JenniferL.  for suggesting people stay home and have church online (unlike the Maxwells) and for considering neighbors and strangers in need.  You are a much better Christian than Steve Maxwell.

And Holy Homeschooler Teri resorts to the Godly Schedule and Bible time to encourage people whose public school children are distance learning.

Um, Teri, have you considered that most people whose children are in public school get up, have breakfast, brush teeth, get their kids to school on time, go to work, come home, plan dinner, clean up, and organise after-school activities and homework as a matter of course.  They have schedules too.

Stuff your patronising schedule where the sun don't shine.

And a mere 2 hours of academic work for older children is not nearly enough.  You ignorant and idle twerp.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Hane said:

That, and the fact that virtually no reading of fiction was allowed. Stevehovah famously said, “My children don’t read—they write”—but you can’t learn how to write well unless you read the works of a variety of good writers.

I also have no idea how one would develop the vocabulary needed to be a good writer without being a voracious reader.  

I read all the time as a kid and when younger with a dictionary and notebook next to me because I loved "collecting" words I didn't know.  Yes, I was a word nerd, but I still get excited when I learn a cool new word. 

That they grew up without age appropriate fiction is criminal, imo.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

7 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I also have no idea how one would develop the vocabulary needed to be a good writer without being a voracious reader.  

The simple answer is, you don't!

I read all the time as a kid and when younger with a dictionary and notebook next to me because I loved "collecting" words I didn't know.  Yes, I was a word nerd, but I still get excited when I learn a cool new word. 

That they grew up without age appropriate fiction is criminal, imo.  

I can remember the year my Grandma bought me a hardback dictionary and thesaurus set for my birthday...happy days!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

6 minutes ago, Syriana said:

I can remember the year my Grandma bought me a hardback dictionary and thesaurus set for my birthday...happy days!

Me too!  Mom, not Gramma but still.  You're my kind of people!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, one hour of academics is nowhere near enough. Maybe it’s ok for really young kids eg kindergarten type age, but for above elementary school it’s not much at all. Obviously homeschooling is different to public school in that it’s more one-on-one. It’d also be a good idea to vary stuff, so some days you spend more time using a textbook, some days you do more fun stuff (eg watching a David Attenborough documentary for science/geography, or a history documentary, or even just a TV/film adaptation of a book/play you’re doing for English). 

• Upvote 7

My church has cancelled Sunday worship until April.  The pastor is going to live stream the sermons and scripture readings on FB until then.  She actually did a test run this past Sunday to see if it would work.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic