IGNORED

Maxwell 36: Wearing What Some Might Call an Outer Garment While Dealing with Cancer in the Family

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder if the Maxwells know about the Coronavirus.

I sure hope they are aware and are taking it seriously. Not only do they have the “church” members to consider; but also Gigi and all the babies. Mostly, they need to be aware of Anna’s medical needs. If/when she starts chemo, she will be pretty fragile. An infection before chemo will set her treatments back also.  I guess it’s a good thing, in this case, that they isolate themselves like they do. 

Edited by usmcmom
Typo
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Since they do church in a nursing home they may not be able to go. All the nursing homes around me (northern New Jersey) are banning people unless it’s family and they are over the age of 12. 

And whereas I think a lot of fundie churches are going to give governmental directives about large gatherings a big middle finger and meet anyway, those are actual churches that meet in their own buildings. Much as they're going to hate it, the Maxes are subject to the rules of the nursing home they've horned their way into.

59 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I sure hope they are aware and are taking it seriously. Not only do they have the “church” members to consider; but also Gigi and all the babies. Mostly, they need to be aware of Anna’s medical needs. If/when she starts chemo, she will be pretty fragile. An infection before chemo will set her treatments back also.  I guess it’s a good thing, in this case, that they isolate themselves like they do. 

Everything I'm reading says kids are doing better than older adults and tend to get mild cases. Anna's cancer and forthcoming treatments need to be considered, though. And GiGi is definitely in the danger zone, though I fear they'd just say "We're trusting God, if it's His will for her to live, she'll be fine!" In every case I hope they're aware and cautious.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

They’ll have heard about it, likely through overhearing others talk about it. What they’ll do about it, I’m not sure. 

• Upvote 6

@Bethy,  I wish I could remember the exact statistic, but people in their 60s have a 5% mortality risk and it goes sharply up from there.  Gigi must be in her 80s so she would be very much at risk.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

They’ll have heard about it, likely through overhearing others talk about it. What they’ll do about it, I’m not sure. 

They might have to change their schedules a bit; e.g, shopping, non-essential medical appointments.  Do they normally shop in bulk or is it more of a weekly shopping trip using the same list each time?  Can't imagine their reaction if they ran out of TP.

• Upvote 4

The shelves of our Target were pretty much sold out of TP when I was there this afternoon.  I don't know if people were stocking up just in case they can't get to the store or if they think that COVID-19 will give them the runs.  It won't, btw.  It might help if stores would start posting information about how to lessen your chances of contracting COVID-19.  Soap is a much smarter buy than TP, even smarter than hand sanitizer.  

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Alisamer what you wrote reminds me of this couplet by Robert Louis Stevenson I read about 60 years ago in Childcraftvolume 1, Poems of Early Childhood titled "Happy Thought:

It make me so sad that Sarah's world (all the Max kids and grandkids, actually) that their world is so damn narrow.

Those books taught me so, so much. I still have my old set, the ones with the red and beige covers, from around 1960. They're in pretty worn shape, so I've been keeping an eye out at thrift stores for copies in better condition. So far, I've only found one, volume 12, You and Your Family.  The art volume has a painting of Girl With a Watering Can by Renoir (I think it's the frontispiece, I don't have it handy to check at the moment). I loved that painting so much when I was a little girl. I was at the National Gallery in DC some years ago and unexpectedly came across it. Didn't realise it was there. I stood there and cried like a fool.

• Love 10

On 3/11/2020 at 4:38 PM, Palimpsest said:

Why, yes. Yes, I do.  Please cool your jets a trifle.

Did I sound that worked up? Promise they’re  sufficiently cool; I suppose I should have used a period in that last sentence. 

And I’m really just talking about some of the comments that don’t really align with our Maxwell knowledge and have reached their own level of woo. It started to seem a bit like “they better not be making her skip conventional medicine even though they use it, but she better decide to do what I think is best even though I’m not her or one of her doctors!” It was feeling..... yucky to me, for lack of a better word. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I'm sure Coward Steve is glad all the sporting events are being cancelled and Disneyworld is closing.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

Aaaaaaand the nursing home is no longer allowing activities organised by outsiders.

Apparently, because the Maxwells have placed their faith in Jesus, they have nothing to fear from COVID-19. Even though Teri and Steve are technically in an at-risk group as they’re both over 60. And NR Anna has cancer. I’m guessing they mean that if the worst did happen, the affected person would go to Heaven, but it’s still a ridiculous statement... 

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1

Here's the post from the blog:

Wednesday was a big day for us. We received a phone call from the retirement apartments where we have been having our church services. They said that due to the coronavirus, management has decided to cancel all activities that are conducted by non-residents as of Wednesday. We understand the concern.

They said the closure would be until April. However, we anticipate it to be extended. In the meantime, we will attend a local church we have been going to on Sunday evenings.

Within the past few days, it seems COVID-19 is beginning to affect the normalcy of life here in the United States. What about you? We have several blog readers who have told us they are in a lock-down country. How is it affecting you?

We’re so grateful that because of placing our faith in Jesus and accepting Him, as Christians, we have nothing to fear from the coronavirus. In fact, it is an incredible opportunity to share with others the hope we have in Jesus!

Undoubtedly the rewriting of schedules to account for the changes in church attendance will cause a great deal of stress for them <tongue firmly in cheek>

On the other hand, I suspect they may well be correct that this will continue beyond the start of April (at least in the UK)

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Aaaaaaand the nursing home is no longer allowing activities organised by outsiders.

Apparently, because the Maxwells have placed their faith in Jesus, they have nothing to fear from COVID-19. Even though Teri and Steve are technically in an at-risk group as they’re both over 60. And NR Anna has cancer. I’m guessing they mean that if the worst did happen, the affected person would go to Heaven, but it’s still a ridiculous statement... 

It's a pretty gross statement. The believe themselves to be so very special because they obey Jesus Steve with everything they do in life. Even if they mean that if they get sick & die, they go to heaven - how is that useful or helpful to anyone on the planet? Life here and now is not worthless nor deserving of being blown off simply because you're gonna' go praise your god directly at his feet when you die. 

To be honest, I can't even imagine that way of thinking, much less the depths of brain twisting the Maxwells have gone to with it. 

While i hope no one in their family becomes ill, particularly those in higher risk demographics - I also wish no one on the planet would get it. They are in no special place, group, or anything else. Just like every other human being on the planet. 

The arrogance with them is astounding. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

i fear that, since they ( the Maxwell) and fudies in general are so isolationist there will be almost no case of Covid-2019 between them and thus, they will interpret this as a confirm that they are right and we heathens are punish for our "sins"

i hope it will not bring them out with more force but for now i'm not so confident, maybe is because here things are going shit but still i could see them gaining strong and confident from the virus 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Here in the U.K. we’re being advised to self-isolate for a week if we show any kind of symptoms eg a cough, fever etc. Even if it’s not necessarily coronavirus. Even if one of the extended family members had to do similar, they’re physically close enough that the aunts (because, let’s face it, it’s most likely to be them if they’re not affected) can do shopping for them. They won’t be able to actually visit the affected household but at least they have that network. 
I also don’t wish the virus on anyone. But their attitude is so annoying. Particularly the bit where they talk about it being the perfect opportunity to share Jesus. No! Piss off! The last thing people affected (however directly) by COVID-19 is to be witnessed at. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 3/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, usmcmom said:

I keep thinking of a play on words. Also, my fifth grade cheerleading days....

From East to Vest...they think they’re the best.

Good, Better, Vest...they’ll put your faith to the test. 

I’ll see myself out  

Like sands through an hour glass, so are the vests of our lives.

@usmcmom I’m right behind you

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

Teri mentioned that they will be attending church in a real church that they have been attending Sunday evenings.  Do all of the kidults have to attend the same church that Steve chose?  Of course they do!  Imagine if Sarah chose a different church that had a large single adult program.  Steve and Teri would wonder what they had done wrong in raising her!

In my state, there have been 537 cases, and 31 deaths, from coroavirus. Nursing home residents get one visitor per day, over age 18.

Schools and colleges in three counties are closed.  Public gatherings over 250 are cancelled.  Libraries are shuttered, as is the Seattle space Needle.

It's true that children have mild or no symptoms of the virus, but they can still be infected and easily transmitt it to grandparents.

We haven't been able to buy purell or disinfectant wipes anywhere for two weeks.  We're just using lots of soap and water and using bleach water to wipe down door handles, etc.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I believe that if it's your time to go, you'll go.

I also believe, that if God wants to take me, I'm going to make him work for it by doing everything I can (within reason) to prevent illnesses like this.

I'm generally pretty nonchalant about germs. I tend to think that much of life is a little TOO clean these days (having grown up on a farm playing in the dirt affects my opinion there), and the immune system needs a little challenge now and then to strengthen it. Wash your hands well after using the restroom and if they're dirty, and before making food. Wipe down the machines at the gym after using them. If you do get ill try not to spread it. But otherwise? I'll eat a chip that fell on the floor, at my home or office. I don't break out hand sanitizer on top of hand washing. 

But those are all everyday things for a healthy person! And I tailor to the situation and who I'm around. If I'm ill, but well enough to work, I do. I have to. But if I'm ill I'm not going to visit my immunocompromised friend or go out in crowds if I can avoid it.

This is a pandemic of a virulent virus that is highly contagious. Am I afraid of it? Not really. Am I washing my hands much more frequently, staying out of crowds, and generally taking precautions? Absolutely!

(I'm actually far more worried about the non-health effects of the virus. We've already lost several high-dollar jobs due to events being cancelled, and we're a small business where it's essentially impossible for most of us to work from home. We're going to struggle through this.)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

26 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I keep thinking of a play on words. Also, my fifth grade cheerleading days....

From East to Vest...they think they’re the best.

Good, Better, Vest...they’ll put your faith to the test. 

I’ll see myself out  

Like sands through an hour glass, so are the vests of our lives.

@usmcmom I’m right behind you

Oh, no, you don't, @usmcmom and @onekidanddone. You stay right here and come up with some more FJ cheers. I just know they'll come in handy some day, maybe while we're standing around watching all our fundies get raptured. Or, you know, just when they need "encouragement", which seems to be all the time.

Two, Four, Six, Eight!
Time for You to Procreate!

Push him back!
Push him back!
Go awaaaay, Satan!

Take it away. . .

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

This is the time to home church for fundies! And Steve and Teri are still planning on attending a church on Sunday? Ugh they drive me batty.

• Upvote 8

55 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Two, Four, Six, Eight!
Time for You to Procreate!

I hereby nominate this as the official first thread title for Nurie RodrigueS and Nathan Keller once they are married.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

You can see the patient's name on the walker:

IMG_3481-300x400.jpg

Oh geesh, Steve!

We all know if the nursing home had published this, it would be a HUGE violation. As a representative of the nursing home, he needs to be more careful...and more respectful. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Oh geesh, Steve!

We all know if the nursing home had published this, it would be a HUGE violation. As a representative of the nursing home, he needs to be more careful...and more respectful. 

They can color over the exposed belly of a young child being baptized, but not cover or blur the name of a nursing home resident? 

Steve, seriously?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

"Wednesday was a big day for us."

I pant in anticipation. 

How big?  Jesse is courting? Sarah has finally landed hooked a Godly man like Sarah Mally?, Anna and Mary have finally escaped?

No.  The Maxwells got a phone call.  From the nursing facility.  To say their Sunday services were cancelled for the duration.   This is BIG!  

I suppose a family meeting was held.  Prayers were said.  God told them to understand the concern that they might spread coronavirus.  After much fasting and praying they decided to go to church on Sundays because, as Christians, they have nothing to fear.  But this is a fantastic opportunity to share hope.  I know not how.

Blow it out your insufferably smug behinds, Maxwells.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Blow it out your insufferably smug behinds, Maxwells.

I think that's scheduled for Sunday afternoon. That's when they have the bean burrito lunch, right?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 13

• Coconut Flan locked this topic