IGNORED

Maxwell 36: Wearing What Some Might Call an Outer Garment While Dealing with Cancer in the Family

Coconut Flan

lexiloumarie
5 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

New post up from Anna Marie. It sounds like they may have had surgery *just in time* but wow, it seems like they cut it really close. Hopefully they will follow all recommendations for treatment going forward and watch carefully.

Does anyone know what Anna-Marie means by "natural chemo and supportive therapies" ? Essential  oils and diet changes?

That made me wonder. I hope so. Two opinions make sense but with any lymph node involvement, if they skip chemo because trust Jesus and babies...could be a disaster in the long run. The pregnancy hormones could accelerate the growth and then what. 

• Upvote 9
  • Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNameIsBuffy

• fundiefan

• Giraffe

• Syriana

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it looks like Jesse is getting married. I'm bored at home checking the Maxwell website, and under the events tab it says that they have "eight adult children (five are married)." Jesse has an amazo

I just want to let y’all know I called it in January. But I was unsure of which Craig girl he was seeing. Since there are 3 adult single Craig girls.

"...visiting the dishes of the fathers on the children, to the third and fourth generation..."  

Posted Images

Giraffe

“Natural chemo” fills me with terror for her long-term health!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 18
  • Love 1
Syriana

Chemotherapy - derived from chemo (chemical) and therapy (to cure/treat medically) - natural chemo is an oxymoron if ever I heard one!

Supportive therapies could be wishy washy (diet/naturopathic treatments etc) or could refer to support to manage the physical and psychological impact of a cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment (I don't hold out much hope it's the latter).

Narrow margins that are only 'technically clear' and the start of cellular changes in a node makes me hope that either chemo or 'something else' is recommended, over here radiotherapy would be the usual next step in most cases with hormone or receptor therapy if indicated.  

Edited by Syriana
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
Tatar-tot

Natural Chemo = DEATH SENTENCE 

I hate to say this but she has 12-18 months.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1
Coconut Flan

More Steve searched on the internet like this one?

Frankincense essential oil?

Please.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
Giraffe
8 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Could be longer, but I agree that if she’s relying on “natural” remedies it’s going to kill her. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
ElizaB

She does say she is waiting to see what the oncologist recommends and if chemo is necessary. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I am thinking she is doing the natural stuff on top what her doctor recommends.  One of my coworkers is doing something similar. Her oncologist told her the natural therapies won't interfere with the chemo so her thought was- why not try everything possible? 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1
Black Aliss
6 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I don't have an Instant Pot - yet - but I do have a crockpot.  Years ago I made good steel cut oats in it, but it took many hours (I gave it at least 4, with an occasional stir) to cook.  How long does it take in an Instant Pot?  My ratio of water to steel cut oats was somewhere between 4:1 and 5:1.  I remember that I rubbed oil or butter around the surface of the pot to keep the oats from sticking.

2 TBSP butter, 1 cup oats, 2 3/4 cups water.  4 minutes of cooking time. No stirring except at the very end. But that time is misleading, as it takes the IP a few minutes to come up to pressure, and after the cooking time you want to let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. And, if you do the saute in butter, that's probably another 5 minutes, although then I pressure cook for just 3 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes (unless I'm doing something else; it's not going to overcook if you wait longer to vent).  Because I'm the only one in the family who eats oatmeal, I divide a batch into single portions and refrigerate or freeze, and then microwave.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
Jana814
3 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

One of my coworkers is doing something similar. Her oncologist told her the natural therapies won't interfere with the chemo so her thought was- why not try everything possible? 

That’s good that your co-worker is doing both. The issue with Anna-Marie is that she maybe influenced to only do natural therapies. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1
Giraffe
29 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

That’s good that your co-worker is doing both. The issue with Anna-Marie is that she maybe influenced to only do natural therapies. 

This. If she had called it something other than “natural chemo” I’d be inclined to think she’s simply doing adjunct stuff that has a neutral effect with real stuff. That she’s calling whatever it is chemo makes me afraid for her. Hopefully it’s just the term she chose and it’s in conjunction with evidence-based medicine. 

Edited by Giraffe
Changing a word
  • Upvote 8
MamaJunebug
1 hour ago, Tatar-tot said:

An absolutely lovely and accomplished woman, mother of two children under 8,  died of cancer after 4 months of treatment. My heart broke over that one and I felt it crack again at the thought that AM might go, too.

Praying for a better outcome. Might have to go on a Maxwell fast. It’s difficult to see people of my own generation (Boomers) dying at a predictably accelerating rate, But it’s too much to know of young mothers taken too soon.

I’m a wuss, I know. I’ll check in now & then. Carry on, my doves.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 11
Black Aliss
42 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

This. If she had called it something other than “natural chemo” I’d be inclined to think she’s simply doing adjunct stuff that has a neutral effect with real stuff. That she’s calling whatever it is chemo makes me afraid for her. Hopefully it’s just the term she chose and it’s in conjunction with evidence-based medicine. 

Maybe you didn't read her post. She saw one oncologist (a "he") who reviewed the pathologist's report and staged the cancer.

The staging of 2A indicates that lymph nodes were not involved. However, an advanced, chemical-based test of the lymph nodes found some initial tumor cells beginning to form in one lymph node, which means the surgery was “just in time.” 

They have an appointment with another oncologist this week (a "she" this time) and will see what she recommends. 

From there we will determine if I need chemo or anything else besides the natural chemo and supportive therapies I am already in the process of, in addition to setting up a protocol for monitoring for recurrence.

This doesn't read as if she is eschewing chemo or radiation. They are getting a second opinion. That's probably good. Reading between the lines, I suspect the first oncologist recommended a course of chemo. But she's doing the natural stuff on her own as long as she's not doing in lieu of what the oncologists recommend, that's fine.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
anachronistic

They seem to cut down trees a lot. It surprises me that the grandkids are still entertained by doing chores with their extended family or watching the older ones do big yard work things. It maybe says something about how dull their lives are that there is so much interest from so many people in the chopping down of a tree. 

• Upvote 5
freejugar

There have been so many big decisions and timing issues completely outside our “comfort zone” through the last few months!

Wild speculation, but this makes me think she was asked to terminate the pregnancy.

I agree with everyone about how the first doctor indicated chemo or more surgery or an agressive treatment so she's looking for a second opinion. It's reasonable to do so because her case seems to be on the fence: narrow but clear margins, some cells beggning to form in the lymph nodes...

Many of the blog readers in the comments are wondering about natural chemo, Teri has said that maybe she'll elaborate on the future.  

• Upvote 3
Giraffe
11 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Wild speculation, but this makes me think she was asked to terminate the pregnancy.

Maybe not terminate but I bet she was encouraged to induce a lot sooner than she ended up agreeing to. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
SPHASH

God is so gracious to give our country mercy and to send rain on the just and on the unjust.  WTEF Sarah?

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
Giraffe
13 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

God is so gracious to give our country mercy and to send rain on the just and on the unjust.  WTEF Sarah?

It’s a bible verse. 

• I Agree 1
EmmaWoodhouse
10 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

It's taken from Matthew 5:45

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (KJV obviously... I'm holy like that).

Still weird, given that it's a random Bible verse thrown into a comment on what some might call spring showers.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
Giraffe
2 minutes ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

It's taken from Matthew 5:45

Still weird, given that it's a random Bible verse thrown into a comment on what some might call spring showers.

They excel at using random bible verses for normal things in life. 

• Upvote 8
HerNameIsBuffy
Just now, Giraffe said:

They excel at using random bible verses for normal things in life. 

Is there a bible verse that will get me out of a meeting I have in an hour?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
Alisamer
2 hours ago, freejugar said:

Many of the blog readers in the comments are wondering about natural chemo, Teri has said that maybe she'll elaborate on the future.  

There may well be great grandchildren before we get that elaboration.

I'm glad it sound like they are getting real medical advice and not just doing "natural" therapies instead. 

(I put natural in quotes because, really. Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. It drives me nuts when people eschew "chemicals" and then advocate essential oils, as if those oils aren't chemical compounds processed out of plants similar to how medicines are often chemical compounds processed out of plants. I know the Maxwells don't seem that type, however.)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4
EmmaWoodhouse
1 minute ago, Alisamer said:

I'm glad it sound like they are getting real medical advice and not just doing "natural" therapies instead. 

(I put natural in quotes because, really. Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. It drives me nuts when people eschew "chemicals" and then advocate essential oils, as if those oils aren't chemical compounds processed out of plants similar to how medicines are often chemical compounds processed out of plants. I know the Maxwells don't seem that type, however.)

I knew a girl who majored in mechanical engineering because her mom got the vapors when she considered chemical engineering.  She seems to have a successful career, but what a stupid reason to pressure your child into (or out of) a specific field.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
louannems
2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

There may well be great grandchildren before we get that elaboration.

I guess I used to be one of those people who eschewed"chemicals".  The ingredients list on a cake mix, for instance, made me shudder.

Then my daughter showed me the chemicals in a pure blueberry, and I relaxed a bit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/ingredients-of-all-natural-blueberries/&ved=2ahUKEwiT9Mzsi47oAhXzGTQIHbzhCO4QFjAXegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3zIyPJHbXOFLPo3418AGUs&cshid=1583781073412

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2
Palimpsest
2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Yes.  This direct quote does not sound as though they are completely rejecting chemo or radiation.  My worry is that they will reject anything that might have an effect on her future fertility 'cos only God gets to close her womb.  She has 6 children who need their mother already so I hope they aren't so stupid.

We have an appointment with another oncologist on Tuesday and will see what she recommends. From there we will determine if I need chemo or anything else besides the natural chemo and supportive therapies I am already in the process of, in addition to setting up a protocol for monitoring for recurrence.

"Natural chemo" is a very silly term but a lot of reputable oncologists are more than fine with integrative care.  It is a holistic approach combining conventional care (surgery, radiation and chemo) with "alternative" therapies like diet supplements and nutrition, acupuncture, meditation and so on.  It's conventional care in combination with evidence-informed therapies and a lot of patients find it both positive and empowering.   I doubt that they include oil of frankincense and coffee enemas in treatment, however.

I've no idea why Teri can't simply say something like that instead of stonewalling the people asking about "natural" chemo.  It is possible that Anna and Chris have set very firm boundaries about what is shared, and by whom, on Titus 2.  And good for them if they have.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1
SassyPants

The already born kids need their damn mother. Please do let future kids factor into the decision more so than the already born. Do it all. Everything the professions recommend, plus whatever natural supplements that are approved, and sprinkle with heavy doses of rest and prayer. And do it now, don’t wait. I’d be losing sleep with all the waiting.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic