IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

5 minutes ago, coexist said:

I'm sure a lot of it is for the cameras, but one of the first things that I noticed was how short some of Moriah's shorts are and how some of her shirts have spaghetti straps. Those things were already in her closet before the cameras. My mother would never have given me permission to bring those items into the house or put them on my person at 16, lol! Especially in front of tv cameras! I thought having that small amount of freedom showed that they're at least more lenient with the older kids than my fundie-lite folks.

I think it’s extremely likely Moriah was full on worldly before the cameras ever got there. I also think that like much reality tv, things happen off camera that they then “recreate” for the show. Basically I think the transition from fundie to worldly was in full swing by the time the cameras started rolling. That happened with the show Breaking Amish as well. They recreated some stuff that had already happened before the cameras started rolling. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 12/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, amendgitan said:

There’s a Netflix series I adore from Israel called Shtisel. It’s so well done. Just beautiful. Super engaging. Incredible character development. 

It’s a drama about Ultra Orthodox Jews. It doesn’t show it from a super biased standpoint. It does show the humanity but also how the rigid lifestyle causes so much unnecessary pain.  

One of the creators broke from that world and is secular now. So he knows it very well. 

Its really a mesmerizing and beautiful program and it shows the little ways in which the secular world can sometimes break through in the lives of creative people. 

I hear a lot of Ultra Orthodox Jews are secretly watching it. (They aren’t supposed to watch tv). 

Thanks for the heads up. I want to see it now! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, Rebelwife said:

My daughter is possibly going to go as a plus one, so that will be interesting if she ends up at the event. (Except that she is not fundy literate and will probably not be able to report back any useful information.  Hmph.)

Yes!!! Please report back with her thoughts!! 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

So Kim is talking about how she was in a sorority and got drunk in college, which is why she’s wary of Moriah going down that path. I have to admit she has a point...but is that her excuse for not letting Moriah go?

And does anyone know anything about Stetson? Is it a big party school?

• Love 1

But shielding your child from everything and then throwing your hands up in defeat when she turns 18 will harm that child more. If she is worried about slcohol she needs to EDUCATE her child on alcohol. This is a huge misstep parents make. Not just fundies. Lots of parents treat alcohol like sex. They say, “just don’t do it!” Yet we know teens will do both. Kids who grow up like Moriah are way more likely to get alcohol poisoning than teens educated about alcohol. People think that if you educate your children on alcohol or sex then it’s a free pass. I completely disagree. I think that ignorant fundie teens are the ones that are more likely to get pregnant or drink irresponsibly. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

I’ve decided I really don’t like this family as a whole. The parents seem clueless about how they lost control (didn’t their own young-adult lives teach them anything?), Moriah is an utter brat, and Olivia is a manipulator. Poor Lydia is having to pick up everyone’s “pieces”.  Why does Lydia do most of the cooking and cleaning? Where is Kim? The younger kids are darling. 

We were strict parents but gradually loosened the leashes as they grew , so they would be independent and good people when they grew up. You can’t keep them in restraints until they’re grown and not expect either rebellion or non-functioning adults. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

So Kim is talking about how she was in a sorority and got drunk in college, which is why she’s wary of Moriah going down that path. I have to admit she has a point...but is that her excuse for not letting Moriah go?

And does anyone know anything about Stetson? Is it a big party school?

Stetson is a good sized private school in FL, historically affiliated with the Southern Baptist church but it hasn't been officially affiliated with them since 1995 or so.  It's well respected and has a great law school.  My daughter considered it, but ultimately decided she wanted to go out of state.  I'm sure there is plenty of drinking to be found, but I wouldn't call it a party school.  It is in a smallish town halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach, so that would have an influence on it.

Daughter didn't end up going last night - she's a senior in HS and had a concert and test today but her friend did so I'm supposed to get some details today.  If the the wrap party took place where I think it did, it was at an a bar in town that features all kinds of old school video games and pinball machines (think Pacman and Galaga) that is open to minors early but usually closes to those under 21 after 8 PM.  Wherever it was, at least most of the family was there.

(Edited to add: I'm a very bad mom.  She was being a responsible kid and I'm all "are you sure you don't want to go?  It's just a test in AP Statistics - you've already gotten into college, it isn't that big of a deal!" ?)

Edited by Rebelwife
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 18
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

After watching all of the episodes I have a few thoughts.

I don't understand why Olivia even went for someone like Ethan. She clearly doesn't like his upbringing and she seems to think he's a dork. I don't see what they even have in common. I do see them getting a divorce tho. 

Why is Lydia in charge of the household? Where are the parents all the time? That girl is going to have a breakdown soon.

Why are all the girls beds in some alcove on the second floor? Is that even a room or just a hallway?

Where does Moriah get the money for tank tops and short shorts if Kim doesn't agree with the style? She's 16. 

I feel bad for Moriah tho. I think kids like that once they get freedom sometimes go off the rails. She'd be completely normal if she could just go to a party or a concert. Denying everything makes them rebel even more.

It's the whole Michelle Duggar thing all over again. I mowed the lawn in my bikini but you can't do that and sugar is bad situation. 

• Upvote 9

It SEVERELY pisses me off that she  makes it sound like being in a sorority caused her to be a drunken dipshit waking up in her car in someone's yard. I'm in a sorority and I've never been drunk in my life. She insulted the whole concept and also mocked the idea of philanthropies. Every sorority I know emphasizes fundraising, scholarship, leadership, and good citizenship blah blah blah. I know people drink and smoke dope and get laid in college (who didn't?) but she must have been quite an ass and an embarrassment.  She is just a creepy loser who lies about her credentials and makes me stabby. (I'd kill to know which sorority it was)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Just watched the last episode:

I think it’s very easy to forget how old Moriah is. I’ve been rooting for her the whole time but then it hit me.

She’s only 16/17 and she’s doing all this stuff.

But then she’s only acting like a 16/17 year old.

But then she’s been brought up how she was.

My brain is playing ping pong a bit with this and I *know* (roughly) what their beliefs are. Who knew I could empathise with fundie parents?

• Upvote 4

I think what really broke my heart is Ethan saying they never celebrated any holiday other than birthdays ? this is my favorite time of year, so even though I know every culture doesn’t do the same thing, this was different, mostly since it seems It was taken from them, rather than different religious/cultural beliefs  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, griffin said:

It SEVERELY pisses me off that she  makes it sound like being in a sorority caused her to be a drunken dipshit waking up in her car in someone's yard. I'm in a sorority and I've never been drunk in my life. She insulted the whole concept and also mocked the idea of philanthropies. Every sorority I know emphasizes fundraising, scholarship, leadership, and good citizenship blah blah blah. I know people drink and smoke dope and get laid in college (who didn't?) but she must have been quite an ass and an embarrassment.  She is just a creepy loser who lies about her credentials and makes me stabby. (I'd kill to know which sorority it was)

This also makes me mad! I was also in a sorority in college and barely ever partied, and when I did, I had sisters who made sure I wasn’t a disaster, which clearly hers did not. I read somewhere that she went to FSU which is known to be a HUGE party school so I guess she just assumes all sororities are like that. In my experience, they really do focus on all the good things you said like philanthropy, scholarship, and leadership. I’d also love to know what sorority it was. I’m going to sleuth to see if I can find any info about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Ok, so my big problem with the show that Kim and Barry Plath put on is they overemphasize how they have tried soooooooo hard to be loving, protective parents, but Kim talks about hoping her kids will one day appreciate her parenting even if it isn't what they would pick for themselves, but isn't parenting supposed to be helping your child develop into their own individual person, not your idealized version of what you want them to be? There's a big difference between wanting what's best FOR YOUR CHILD and wanting what you think is best. I don't know if that makes sense and I only parent my fur babies...so I have never dealt with raising a child, but that's my two cents. Also Kim is highly narcissistic, Moriah is the black sheep, Olivia is the scapegoat, Hosannah is the Golden Child, and Lydia is the peacekeeper. Again, just my two cents. This show makes me a bit ragey.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, Firebird said:

Ok, so my big problem with the show that Kim and Barry Plath put on is they overemphasize how they have tried soooooooo hard to be loving, protective parents, but Kim talks about hoping her kids will one day appreciate her parenting even if it isn't what they would pick for themselves, but isn't parenting supposed to be helping your child develop into their own individual person, not your idealized version of what you want them to be? There's a big difference between wanting what's best FOR YOUR CHILD and wanting what you think is best. I don't know if that makes sense and I only parent my fur babies...so I have never dealt with raising a child, but that's my two cents. Also Kim is highly narcissistic, Moriah is the black sheep, Olivia is the scapegoat, Hosannah is the Golden Child, and Lydia is the peacekeeper. Again, just my two cents. This show makes me a bit ragey.

I know what you mean and I have two kids. There have been so many times I had to change what I assumed was best because it just wasn’t working for my kid. What works for one, doesn’t work for the other! And they share 50% of their DNA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Kim seems like a very all-or-nothing kind of thinker.  You are either stoned out of your mind and driving drunk or you are living on a farm not ever eating sugar or talking to anyone outside of your own family.  You are either Lydia who gets all of the wifi passwords but has to do all of the housework or you are Moriah who the parents think is a lost cause already at age 16.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Re., the holidays. There was a time when Kim was only celebrating Jewish holidays because the Christian holidays are pagan and she was studying about all the ways that Jesus was predicted in "Old Testament" holidays. I'm Jewish and this was pretty much when I decided to quit talking to her. But that may be what she's talking about with holidays. 

One thing I wanted to share from earlier in the thread about her and Barry and the way they got engaged. My understanding is that Barry actually showed up in a full suit of armor (maybe on a horse? I can't remember) to signify that he was going to rescue her. Nothing creepy about that. Kim got a little tattoo on her upper inner thigh before the wedding as a "surprise" (a butterfly, I think?) so she was still a little bit wild. That's the only time I met her in person, right before the wedding.

Edited by SinkDweller
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 5

4 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

So this is an interesting development 

Can you summarize? I can’t handle Katie’s voice. I am really picky about voices I can stand and after watching a few of her videos, I realized I just can’t deal with her voice. 

• I Agree 1

I find it absolutley disgusting that out of all those people living in that house that Lydia is stuck doing all the cooking and cleaning! That poor girl is going to have a breakdown! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Can you summarize? I can’t handle Katie’s voice. I am really picky about voices I can stand and after watching a few of her videos, I realized I just can’t deal with her voice. 

Don't worry; you're not alone.  I usually don't watch her unless she has direct contact with the people she's talking about.  Basically she says that Olivia reached out to her after Katie's latest video summarizing the last episode.  Olivia felt that it was editing that made it look as though she didn't have Barry or Kim's permission to buy Moriah's plane ticket or concert ticket.  Apparently she says she had asked before hand about both of these things and Barry had even helped pay for the plane ticket.  She also said that Barry and Kim knew the dinner was for Moriah in that it was a going away party.  They did leave out the birthday gifts until the day of, but Kim didn't do anything for Moriah's actual birthday which was 3 weeks later.  Olivia says they usually don't do things for birthdays.  

Additionally when it came to dropping off Isaac, Olivia said the agreement with production was that Kim wouldn't come in.  She currently isn't allowed at their house usually since in the past Olivia has felt that the family will criticize the way the house is set up and maintained when they come over.  Kim also apparently use to have a key, but was asked to only use it after checking with Ethan and Olivia.  During their honeymoon Kim came in and dropped off all of Ethan's things from their house without asking or telling them what was happening.  They had planned to move that stuff after their honeymoon. Since then Kim hasn't really been allowed to drop by unannounced.

• Thank You 7

2 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

Don't worry; you're not alone.  I usually don't watch her unless she has direct contact with the people she's talking about.  Basically she says that Olivia reached out to her after Katie's latest video summarizing the last episode.  Olivia felt that it was editing that made it look as though she didn't have Barry or Kim's permission to buy Moriah's plane ticket or concert ticket.  Apparently she says she had asked before hand about both of these things and Barry had even helped pay for the plane ticket.  She also said that Barry and Kim knew the dinner was for Moriah in that it was a going away party.  They did leave out the birthday gifts until the day of, but Kim didn't do anything for Moriah's actual birthday which was 3 weeks later.  Olivia says they usually don't do things for birthdays.  

Additionally when it came to dropping off Isaac, Olivia said the agreement with production was that Kim wouldn't come in.  She currently isn't allowed at their house usually since in the past Olivia has felt that the family will criticize the way the house is set up and maintained when they come over.  Kim also apparently use to have a key, but was asked to only use it after checking with Ethan and Olivia.  During their honeymoon Kim came in and dropped off all of Ethan's things from their house without asking or telling them what was happening.  They had planned to move that stuff after their honeymoon. Since then Kim hasn't really been allowed to drop by unannounced.

That’s how TLC works. They love to edit “reality shows” for more drama. It’s annoying. I really wish reality shows would just stop doing this. It doesn’t make for better tv since we can figure it all out online. It just makes tv networks look bad.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

I think what really broke my heart is Ethan saying they never celebrated any holiday other than birthdays ? this is my favorite time of year, so even though I know every culture doesn’t do the same thing, this was different, mostly since it seems It was taken from them, rather than different religious/cultural beliefs  

Even the Duggars celebrate Christmas. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 1

I saw on Reddit that Olivia follows a JRod parody Instagram account! How funny - a fellow fundie snarker. I wonder if she’s here too. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic