IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

I don't get TLC any longer :(  But based on everyone's synopsis, Kim makes me think of the Jeub parents. Remember when they were on the "kids by the dozen" and Wendy (Jeub mom) said one of the older girls is a bad influence and was kicked out, etc. Kim hasn't kicked the kids out but restricting access. I wonder what @woonaluna would think of the comparison. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

KIM PLATH IS A FRAUD.

On the family's website, the info under Kim and Barry's bio says that Kim is a Naturopathic Doctor.

SHE IS NOT.

I have confirmed with the Georgia Association of Naturopathic Physicians that she is not a doctor nor is she registered with them.

She is knowingly misrepresenting herself.    The link to her "medical practice" does not work.

Anyone wanting to confirm this info can email info@ganp.org

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

15 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I am now watching the third episode and I am wondering: do they practice the courtship model? And does it also include chaperoned dates and no kissing until marriage?

I believe Hosanna took that route.

Ethan definitely didn't. He was warned by Kim not not marry Olivia but did it anyway. In courtship you're supposed to get parental approval each step of the way. Also, these are his engagement pics so they definitely didn't wait for some touchy feely time, at least kissing ;) 

https://stephaniekase.com/2017/engagements/engagement-session-at-sharp-top-mountain-in-roanoke-virginia-olivia-ethan/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

21 minutes ago, Toto2 said:

KIM PLATH IS A FRAUD.

On the family's website, the info under Kim and Barry's bio says that Kim is a Naturopathic Doctor.

SHE IS NOT.

I have confirmed with the Georgia Association of Naturopathic Physicians that she is not a doctor nor is she registered with them.

She is knowingly misrepresenting herself.    The link to her "medical practice" does not work.

Anyone wanting to confirm this info can email info@ganp.org

We already knew that. Nothing added up since she dropped out of college and she was a music therapy major.

19 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

I believe Hosanna took that route.

Ethan definitely didn't. He was warned by Kim not not marry Olivia but did it anyway. In courtship you're supposed to get parental approval each step of the way. Also, these are his engagement pics so they definitely didn't wait for some touchy feely time, at least kissing ;) 

https://stephaniekase.com/2017/engagements/engagement-session-at-sharp-top-mountain-in-roanoke-virginia-olivia-ethan/

I remember when those pics came out. We knew these two were a little different. Back then when no one was paying attention to them except me and a few others, lol.

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know if Olivia had family down in the Plath area before she married Ethan?  There are prominent Meggs in that part of the country and I have wondered if they are any relation.

I read somewhere that Moriah was emancipated,and now lives in another state with grandparents,I believe.

Ethan seems so innocent.It was sad when his younger siblings said how much they missed him and how much fun he is.

It was sad when they mentioned they were never allowed to have friends outside of the family.

It did my heart good when another brother Micah,went and an bought ice cream and sodas when the parents left.And the youngest girl,Mercy,said it was her first ice cream float and it was yummy.

Micah also said he understood his mother's views on the no sugar thing,but he sees nothing wrong with something like ice cream or soda,once in awhile,or in moderation.We know Kim would not agree.

• Upvote 9

I feel bad for Olivia’s sister in law Faith Meggs. Elijah is the only one left of Olivia’s siblings with fundie beliefs. I imagine he really likes being the boss. Why else would he hold onto beliefs his own father has let go? Of course men benefit the most from patriarchy. So I guess it’s not surprising he wants to keep it up. He has a beautiful dutiful fundie wife and two daughters. If Olivia’s father wants to make amends for dragging his family into fundamentalism, he should really talk to Elijah. Maybe he’s already tried to no avail. It’s just sad and if I was in his position, theguilt would eat away at me. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We already knew that. Nothing added up since she dropped out of college and she was a music therapy major.

I think many suspected she was a fraud, myself included.      I wanted y'all to know that I've confirmed it directly with licensing authorities in Georgia.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 8

Ok, so I've been enjoying Plathville and both Ethan and Olivia and Barry and Kim have made me laugh at times. Obviously there is strain in the relationship. I hurt for Olivia because who doesn't want a good relationship with their mother-in-law? 

Now onto my two cents which are worth exactly what you're paying for them:
There are always two sides to every story and the truth is usually found somewhere in the middle. As a mother, I would be upset if someone was coming in with different beliefs from my family and, in a way, forcing them on my kids. Ethan can do whatever he wants. He's married. He's out of the house. You love your kids, no matter what. But I would not be happy if I had rules and expectations of my children at home and someone came in and started undermining my parenting. Is it ok to believe how I'm raising my children is different than how you think I should be? Sure. But relationships start with trust and respect. And if the person respected me, they wouldn't undermine me. I kind of feel like that's what Olivia is doing. She seems to feel like her way is the right way, and so she wants Kim to bend to her opinion. Such as in the third show when Olivia was determined that Elijah (is that the right name?) should play drums in their band. She told Kim that if Kim wanted to show Olivia that she trusted her, then she needed to allow him in the band. I'm sorry, but at that point, Olivia is trying to force her way.

All that being said, I actually really like Olivia! We consider ourselves conservative Christians and I think Olivia and I would get along great. The only difference being that we don't drink due to a family history of alcoholism. Plus I know I have a very addictive personality, so it's better to just avoid something like that for me. I definitely see where Kim is also pushing her expectations for her children and showing her displeasure in Olivia because she is different. She has different views and values than Kim does. And I don't think Kim has opened herself up to Olivia. She sees her as the enemy BECAUSE she is introducing her family to views that are outside of their beliefs. Kim seems like a very "my way or the highway" type of person and doesn't seem open to other views. Not as bad as the Rodrigues family, but she seems very hardened. Could be because of her family history. And there could be a lot of fear there. She wants a close family. She knows how close they were in the past. And she sees them pulling away. The more she pushes, the more she forces her opinions onto her kids, the more they will pull away. She did seem to understand that about Moriah, when she said something along the lines of, if she says no, Moriah will find a way to go against her. What Kim needs to do is open up to her kids, especially the older ones. Let them know WHY she feels strongly about certain things (such as Ethan and Olivia visiting without supervision). If she does that, it could go a long way in healing the rifts that are forming due to everyone feeling that they have the correct opinion.

All that being said...I had to rush my thoughts because I've got to go pick the kiddos up from school :-)

• Upvote 8

I understand there are two sides to every story. But it seems Kim is giving her side on the show and I abhor her side. Just because there are two sides doesn’t mean each side is equal. One side is clearly much more harmful than the other. 

• Upvote 21
  • Love 3

Yes. I don’t think we have seen both sides equally.  Olivia is shown doing certain things which could very easily be forced by producers for drama and ratings.  But she never gets the chance to really explain her thought process behind things.  Whereas Kim and Barry have explained so much of their side.  Doesn’t seem equal. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

The interview with Olivia was quite interesting. Kim thinks Olivia is literally possessed by demons. Something JillRod has in common with Kim.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 11

“There are two sides to every story” is on page one of the abusive, controlling narcissist’s play book. And too many otherwise well-meaning people buy right into it. It gives the abuser a golden opportunity to do what they do best: spin the narrative to make themselves look good, and often to discredit the target.

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The interview with Olivia was quite interesting. Kim thinks Olivia is literally possessed by demons. Something JillRod has in common with Kim.

What interview was this?? I don’t remember Kim saying this during the show!

12 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

What interview was this?? I don’t remember Kim saying this during the show!

It was linked earlier in this thread. A woman interviewed her over the phone. She told her a lot of things things about Kim. At first Kim loved her. When she thought Olivia was just a pretty and talented fundie girl. When she realized how she was changing, then she turned against her. Saying Olivia has been influenced by demons. She thinks Olivia spread her demonic influence to Ethan, Micah, and Moriah. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 6
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Jasmar said:

There are two sides to every story” is on page one of the abusive, controlling narcissist’s play book. And too many otherwise well-meaning people buy right into it. It gives the abuser a golden opportunity to do what they do best: spin the narrative to make themselves look good, and often to discredit the target.

Ok, I was completely unaware of this being part of the narcissist's playbook! If I upset anyone by what I said, I do apologize. It is not something I have dealt with personally. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I imagine Ethan has changed a lot in his first year of marriage. I’m actually kind of scared that these two could end up growing apart as they explore themselves and change over time. What if they become two very different people with two very different future goals?

I think they could grow apart, but I think that at least for now getting out together is good for them. Hopefully if they do they can split peacefully 

• Upvote 3

I understand that Kim is not happy that Olivia is undermining her parenting. Ethan is an adult and their house has their rules but when they are over at Kim and Berry's house they should respect that the kids have some rules there. Even if you don't agree with those rules.

I do think Kim is blaming Olivia for everything while it is clear that Ethan, Micah and Moriah would have 'rebelled' even without her. It is not Olivia's responsibility that Micah buys the ice cream and that Moriah wants to discover the world. Kim should be happy that Moriah is expanding her views with Olivia, otherwise she would find someone else and they might be even more 'untrustworthy'.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

I don't know if it's just me, but I have such a hard time watching this show. It's just way too scripted... The gym scene, Ethan's doofus character (he knows way more than he lets on), the ice cream floats, Olivia and Ethan's "forbidden" visit to the compound, the girls' trip to SF... I'm more interested in reading Olivia's instragram updates than following this fake reality show. 

2 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I understand that Kim is not happy that Olivia is undermining her parenting. Ethan is an adult and their house has their rules but when they are over at Kim and Berry's house they should respect that the kids have some rules there. Even if you don't agree with those rules.

I'm also of that rather unpopular opinion. They need to lay off until the kids turn 18 and can pick sides freely. Before that, the siblings are minors and Ethan needs to respect his parents' rules. When teen girls from my old fundie church would reach out to me after I left my family and eventually attended college, and I'd tell them to lay low with their parents until they turned 18. Then we could meet up to discuss their options. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

There’s a reason why Moriah is being emancipated. Her parents emotionally and spiritually abuse her. I have no issue with Olivia stepping in when she sees children being abused. Because CPS won’t step in. So who else will?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There’s a reason why Moriah is being emancipated. Her parents emotionally and spiritually abuse her. I have no issue with Olivia stepping in when she sees children being abused. Because CPS won’t step in. So who else will?

I feel the same way.  I understand generally allowing people to parent the way they want, but it's quite clear that Kim and Barry don't like or appreciate Moriah.  That is extremely damaging to a person, especially a child.  Then you have the parentification of Lydia, which is also abuse.  It isn't simply that they have different ways of doing things, Kim and Barry are abusing their children.  The kids have also talked about not being able to make friends with people outside their family as children, which I would also say is abuse.  This isn't simply don't give kids sugar.  It's demonizing certain kids and saying others are completely perfect.   

I would also say that it's easy to forget that Olivia and Ethan are only about 20.  Yes they are somewhat mature, but also I think some of their behaviour is understandable when looking at how someone is still maturing in their early 20s.  Some of their comments I wouldn't make now, but I can also see myself saying as a 20 year old.  It's not fair to expect them to act the way Kim and Barry, who have to be in their 40s, should behave. 

The other thing to keep in mind is when Kim talks about working out their differences, she clearly means Ethan and Olivia believing exactly what her and Barry believe.  Anything less is sinful and not godly.  And that's impossible for Ethan and Olivia to overcome.

• Upvote 20

4 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

I feel the same way.  I understand generally allowing people to parent the way they want, but it's quite clear that Kim and Barry don't like or appreciate Moriah.  That is extremely damaging to a person, especially a child.  Then you have the parentification of Lydia, which is also abuse.  It isn't simply that they have different ways of doing things, Kim and Barry are abusing their children.  The kids have also talked about not being able to make friends with people outside their family as children, which I would also say is abuse.  This isn't simply don't give kids sugar.  It's demonizing certain kids and saying others are completely perfect.   

I would also say that it's easy to forget that Olivia and Ethan are only about 20.  Yes they are somewhat mature, but also I think some of their behaviour is understandable when looking at how someone is still maturing in their early 20s.  Some of their comments I wouldn't make now, but I can also see myself saying as a 20 year old.  It's not fair to expect them to act the way Kim and Barry, who have to be in their 40s, should behave. 

The other thing to keep in mind is when Kim talks about working out their differences, she clearly means Ethan and Olivia believing exactly what her and Barry believe.  Anything less is sinful and not godly.  And that's impossible for Ethan and Olivia to overcome.

I totally agree. CPS is constantly stepping in and telling parents how to parent their children differently because what they are doing is abuse. Why is it wrong for Olivia and Ethan to do so? They have first hand knowledge and experience here. It would be shitty of them NOT to step in.

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, kokocat said:

nd if the person respected me, they wouldn't undermine me.

Bad parenting needs to be undermined. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I watched one episode, the recent one I guess where Ethan and Olivia come over when the parents are on their anniversary trip. Of course the played up sheltered angle is annoying because it's so clearly not completely real. 

It's pretty clear that the children, even the younger ones, are not completely oblivious to the world. Maybe it was easier to be sheltered before when the older kids were little, but we know that they have relationships with other families and most of those families are not 100% trying to keep their kids from knowing about the existence of the rest of the world. 

Moriah at least is shown with a smart phone. And they are allowed to work outside the home. Micah's comment was that by their mid-teens, they are expected to pay for anything beyond the basics. They can learn to drive, they can buy cars and take themselves places. Anyway, there is a difference between not know who Justin Bieber is and not knowing secular music exists and other people get to listen to it. 

It reminded me of this old segment from This American Life about a sheltered Hasidic man who secretly joined a band and performed in New York for a year: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/268/my-experimental-phase/act-one-0

I also laughed out loud when they were putting so much honey into the baked dish but claim to be zero sugar. I did low-Glycemic Index eating for a few months to work on weight loss with my PCOS. At a get together with girlfriends, one said she had made brownies or muffins or something and they didn't have any sugar in them. I had one to be nice and then she shared the recipe and it had both honey and applesauce in it ?‍♀️. Honey is not exactly the same as refined sugar when metabolized, but you cannot tell someone on a low-GI diet that something is zero sugar and then put a cup of honey in it!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic