IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

Apparently Olivia said in some instagram story that at one point Lydia had been messaging with one of Olivia's brothers. That would certainly be interesting...

• Upvote 2

Two more Plathville episodes! First, “Her Little Power Move.” Micah’s agent thinks he can act as well as model. He’s a careful speaker and didn’t talk much as a small child until he could speak properly. Moriah tries to run lines with him, but she’s terrible.

Over to Ethan, who says Lydia texted him that Kim needs the car, so she has to drop Lydia off at Ethan’s. (Lydia and Ethan are going to go shopping for a truck for Lydia.) Ethan refers to this as “her little power move.” Surprisingly, Olivia is okay with it, and tells him it’s fine as long as Kim stays in the car. Ethan is all “not on my property” at first and then agrees. In voiceover, Kim complains about being ordered to stay at the end of the driveway (by a text from Ethan to Lydia). Lydia understandably feels super awkward.

Lydia and Ethan leave, and Olivia wonders if she’s so attached to him because Ethan parented Lydia while their parents were busy. The dealership is closed when they get there. They talk. Are Ethan and Olivia moving? Ethan has no idea. Lydia tells him about her guy. She says God gave her signs that it’s a good idea to take a break. Ethan says to get to know him well, “because pretty much everyone is not as they seem.” He doesn’t regret getting married young, but Olivia does. 

Olivia and Moriah go out to an extremely pink cupcake shop. Olivia asks what Kim told Moriah about sex. Moriah says she didn’t talk to Kim about it until after she already knew about it. Olivia says she was only told not to do it. They talk about birth control. Moriah’s on it. Olivia went off (presumably the pill) because she didn’t like the hormones, got pregnant, and miscarried. She felt guilty that she was relieved. Ethan was relieved too. Moriah appreciates that Olivia trusts her enough to have this private conversation (that is being filmed). Things aren’t great between Ethan and Olivia. She wants him to go to therapy, but he needs to want it for himself. 

Ethan’s at the auto shop. He and the shop guy are cheating on their wives with their cars. He’s avoiding conflict with Olivia and he feels in control at the shop. He doesn’t really want to move to Tallahassee. Basically, Ethan should be married to Shop Guy.

It’s Micah’s 20th birthday and they’re having a party at Kim and Barry’s house. He drives up on a four-wheeler (tipping it onto two wheels) because he lost his driver’s license after being caught speeding. Micah has let go of his bitterness and is spending more time with his family. Barry and Kim hope that will happen with Ethan and Olivia too. Mercy gives Micah the $25 she got for her birthday. Micah has to follow clues to find envelopes with more cash ($285 total). 

Olivia’s looking at a possible rental house alone. She likes it. But there’s no garage or yard, and barely any parking, so Ethan would hate it. She feels frustrated about the impasse over the move, but she’s trying really hard not to push him. Next time: more of the same.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

Episode 4, “I’m gonna lose my mind.”

* Micah is working with a diction coach so he can lose his Southern accent and do other accents.

* Kim shows Lydia a website she’s designing to promote their farm as a wedding venue. Kim used to have a blog, which Olivia helped her start. Lydia’s looking forward to seeing the weddings. She giggles. She’s still not texting her guy. Kim thinks they should get to know each other in person. 

* Olivia and Ethan are arguing about everything. He sets up Moriah’s computer for her. Ethan finally reveals his job - he’s a copier tech in Tallahassee. Moriah knows he’s unhappy. He and Olivia continue their argument by text while he’s with Moriah. 

* Moriah, Max, and Micah go roller skating in Tallahassee. In the car to join them, Ethan feels stressed. He doesn’t feel like he’s accomplishing enough. Olivia asks what would make him feel satisfied, and then is super pissed that his vision of his life (basically, having some money) doesn’t include her. She feels like living in an apartment in Tallahassee is a compromise on her part (it’s not clear why). He doesn’t like apartments or Tallahassee [which was lovely when I lived there briefly forty years ago]. The joy of skating conquers Ethan’s bad mood. He admits that Olivia helps him have fun. 

* Olivia and Micah do a photo shoot for a fundraising calendar for the Humane Society. They have a lot in common. Olivia thinks it’s better to be with someone who is different from her and challenges her (as opposed to her hot, fun brother-in-law). Keep telling yourself that, Olivia. 

* Lydia texts her guy’s sisters a lot. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

* Moriah tells Olivia she’s trying to book a gig in Tallahassee. Olivia offers to play keyboard, but she doesn’t want to see Kim and Barry. 

Next time: everyone’s problems continue.

• Thank You 6

These people seem incredibly tiresome.

I get exhausted just reading the summaries.

And has Micah actually had any real jobs?

• Upvote 15

7 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I het exhausted by your racist policing of the subs. Do you have a real job?

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I agree. I tried watching an episode. Oh boy, it was drama like what I see on previews for teen mom, big brother, bachelor/bachelorette, etc. I lasted less than 10 minutes watching it. 

And from google searches, no it doesn't appear to have any jobs outside of modeling and actor on Plathville. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I don't think that's quite true.  I know Moriah was working at a gym and I think Micah at one point was either working at the gym as well or at a mechanic's (similar to Ethan).  I will say that if Micah is able to earn money from modeling, that IS a real job.  

I can understand why people feel tired from the 'drama' on the show, but I don't think it's made up.  Both Ethan and Olivia have individual and together as a couple gone through major changes in how they see themselves and their values.  Especially with Ethan's confrontation with his parents, that made a huge shift in Ethan's viewpoint.  It's not surprising, this was probably coming.  But it does mean that the way their relationship worked will most likely no longer work.  That would mean there is a lot of friction which can lead to a lot of sadness, confusion, and anger to both Ethan and Olivia.  Remember that we are also talking about two fairly young people (~23).  They've been going through major changes fairly isolated from proper support systems.  That's a lot for anyone, but especially two very young adults.  It might seem repetitive to us, but it will take some time for them to figure these things out, if they can be figured out.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, Natalie22 said:

I don't think that's quite true.  I know Moriah was working at a gym and I think Micah at one point was either working at the gym as well or at a mechanic's (similar to Ethan).  I will say that if Micah is able to earn money from modeling, that IS a real job.  

I can understand why people feel tired from the 'drama' on the show, but I don't think it's made up.  Both Ethan and Olivia have individual and together as a couple gone through major changes in how they see themselves and their values.  Especially with Ethan's confrontation with his parents, that made a huge shift in Ethan's viewpoint.  It's not surprising, this was probably coming.  But it does mean that the way their relationship worked will most likely no longer work.  That would mean there is a lot of friction which can lead to a lot of sadness, confusion, and anger to both Ethan and Olivia.  Remember that we are also talking about two fairly young people (~23).  They've been going through major changes fairly isolated from proper support systems.  That's a lot for anyone, but especially two very young adults.  It might seem repetitive to us, but it will take some time for them to figure these things out, if they can be figured out.

I just need say thank you for your clear, measured responses advocating for these young people (or any others) and why they may be acting/reacting to the path that got them to where and who they are now. You have made me think and had me nodding along more than once. 🙂

• Upvote 8

The reason I like the show is because the kids all seem so genuinely nice and they all care deeply about their sibling relationships. You don’t really see that among the Duggars for example. So Kim and Barry did something right to foster that. I can really believe Ethan’s pain, anger and depression because I doubt he’s that great of an actor. What Kim, Barry, Ethan and Olivia need is some type of family therapy.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, JDuggs said:

The reason I like the show is because the kids all seem so genuinely nice and they all care deeply about their sibling relationships. You don’t really see that among the Duggars for example. So Kim and Barry did something right to foster that. I can really believe Ethan’s pain, anger and depression because I doubt he’s that great of an actor. What Kim, Barry, Ethan and Olivia need is some type of family therapy.

I’m glad you brought up the Duggars. I’ve always got this feeling that many of them aren’t close at all. Like they almost have a wall up because they can’t trust them. Maybe because they were encouraged to constantly tattle. I figure Jing and Jessa are close because they didn’t tattle on each other. And I imagine each set of twins are close because they are twins and again, I bet they didn’t tattle on each other. But I bet they treated a lot of the others like possible rats ready to rat them out at any time. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m glad you brought up the Duggars. I’ve always got this feeling that many of them aren’t close at all. Like they almost have a wall up because they can’t trust them. Maybe because they were encouraged to constantly tattle. I figure Jing and Jessa are close because they didn’t tattle on each other. And I imagine each set of twins are close because they are twins and again, I bet they didn’t tattle on each other. But I bet they treated a lot of the others like possible rats ready to rat them out at any time. 

It doesn’t help that the Duggars parentified their kids’ relationships by having an extremely formal buddy system. Kim and Barry seem to have had the older ones help out, but I don’t think anyone raised anyone else like Jill raised her buddies. (Of course, Kim accidentally killed one of her children because no one was watching him, so I’m not saying that they were better.) My grandmother was the oldest of a big family, and decades later, I felt that her siblings still resented their bossy big sister, even though it wasn’t her fault. 

I’m out of town and had already gotten behind on the Plathville episodes, so look for about three recaps next week.

• Upvote 10

I feel really torn about how Ethan acts towards his parents in regards to seeing his siblings. Keep in mind, I am the daughter of a psychotic narcissist so I certainly understand why he worries that if he gives even a little, that Kim and Barry will push the boundaries. But not seeing his siblings because he doesnt want to pull up to the house or have his mom drive Lydia to his house seems a bit histrionic. Same for Moriah not being able to invite her family to her gig because Olivia is performing. It does seem Micah and Moriah have found a way to both pursue their own paths while keeping a relationship with their parents and siblings in a much healthier way, I wonder if Ethan will ever get to that point. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Episode 5, “You Were The One That Changed”

There are autumn leaves, so this was filmed in fall of 2020. 

Max takes Lydia with him to shop for Moriah’s promise ring. They talk about Lydia’s boy trouble every week or so. The ring has a jasper stone, because Moriah’s middle name is Jasper. (Who names a baby girl “Moriah Jasper”?) He has “I pinky promise” etched into it. 

Ethan’s doing yard work. He likes the visible results, especially since everything else kind of sucks. He’s uncertain enough about his marriage that he doesn’t want to move forward with anything.

Moriah is practicing for her gig with Olivia and Micah accompanying her. Olivia is proud of Moriah. Olivia’s new hair color is a very flattering auburn. Moriah didn’t invite her parents to the gig because Olivia will be there. 

Ethan and Micah want to play golf, so they ask to borrow Kim and Barry’s clubs and they invite Issac to join them. Kim (understandably!) refuses to drive Issac out to the golf course. Ethan thinks she’s being controlling and isn’t sure he wants to go. Micah (understandably!) doesn’t like being in the middle. They can’t agree on where the dropoff point will be. Micah walks onto the property while Ethan stays in the car. Micah feels good about outmaneuverimg his mother (who wanted to see Ethan, but on her terms). God, these people need therapy. Also, they have no clue how to play golf. The guys really enjoy spending time together.

Kim is coming over to visit Moriah. They have furniture now, some of which blocks the front door. Kim tries to be nice. Moriah appreciates that Kim gave her space. She talks about her music. Moriah doesn’t tell Kim the name of the keyboard player, but Kim is not stupid. 

Now, finally, to Ethan and Olivia’s drama. She’s packing for the move they’re not planning. She’s saying “I” instead of “we.” Ethan says in a TH that they planned to move in 5-10 years, not now. (It’s not clear why they planned to move at that point.) She wants one year’s lease on an apartment while they get away from his family and figure things out. He points out that moving to the country on the other side of Tallahassee would be even farther from his family. She says she really wants to be in a big city, but will compromise on Tallahassee. He asks if she’s going to want to move to a big city in the future, and tells her she’s changed completely from the woman he married. (There’s a brief mention of political and other changes, but we’re going to stay far, far away from the election that’s happening at this time.) They’re growing apart, and it’s frustrating for both of them. Olivia feels like he’s putting her in a box. He says he’s just saying how he feels. 

Next time: Micah has a date; the long-teased conversation where Max tells Moriah her clothes are too revealing; and Olivia goes to therapy.

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Wrong episode number
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 12

Episode 6, “Is This a Date?”

Barry is showing Issac how to play golf in their yard. In a TH, he says that Ethan still doesn’t want to see them. The other kids join in on the golf lesson. Micah stops by and joins them. The azaleas are in bloom (their area has amazing azaleas), so we’re up to February or March 2021. 

Olivia has a therapy appointment. She and Ethan have talked about the move, but there’s no progress. They don’t talk much and aren’t communicating well. She’s nagging him about the move and he’s avoiding her. She’s hurt that he said that he wouldn’t have married her if he had known that she would change so much. Olivia says that her mom sacrificed too much, and then had regrets. Olivia wants Ethan to accept her. She’s torn about whether to compromise for the marriage.

Barry, Micah, and Issac go to the golf course. Issac thinks their relationship with Ethan will improve, as their relationship with Micah did. 

Max and Moriah go to KavaKaze (http://kavakazebar.com/). She asks him if he would homeschool his kids. He has a very thoughtful response about how small children can be taught at home, but values are set by about age 7, so parents don’t need to homeschool later, when young people need to socialize more. In a TH, Moriah says she missed out on not going to school. He asks if she wants kids. She wants two biological children and two adopted children. Max had seven siblings, and for various reasons he thinks that four children is the best family size. (Moriah observes that Kim is an only child.) 

Then Max asks about her views on revealing clothing, which of course she’s fine with. He tells her that whenever he goes to the bathroom during a date, he comes back and guys are hitting on her because of her revealing clothing. He says, “Why are you advertising what’s not for sale?” She says, “Because I work hard for it” and adds that she can’t control the guys’ actions. She tells him she’s not going to change. He says “Does your confidence depend on showing your ass to people?” She says, “No wonder Mom and Dad like you” and that she’s expressing herself, and it’s not for other guys. She’s hurt, and sensitive about being told what to wear because her parents were so controlling about it. He agrees that he’s being insecure, and he understands where she’s coming from now, and he apologizes. She says she’ll remember to be considerate about it. She says that they learned from Ethan and Olivia that they have to communicate. 

Issac, who is 15, is starting flying lessons. (What is it with fundies and being pilots?) He hopes to be a commercial pilot. Issac is paying for the lessons himself, presumably with money that his parents have paid him for chores. 

Finally, the possible date of the title. Micah is playing tennis with Helena (the model from his underwear photo shoot). We continue the theme of people playing sports without learning how first. He packed a picnic. He tells her about Moriah’s ring and Ethan and Olivia’s problems. 

Ethan and Olivia meet at the Thomasville Rose Garden to talk. Olivia gets emotional seeing him and starts to cry. Ethan asks the producers to stop filming. Olivia walks away to collect herself. After the commercial, we see that they finally talked at home, but they asked the producers not to air the conversation. They have an uncomfortable TH where they both try to express how they feel, and then they tell us that Olivia has moved out.

The teaser includes Issac’s love life, Max in drag, Lydia’s homeschool graduation and a lecture from Kim about texting her guy, and the long-promised confrontation at Moriah’s gig.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

On 9/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

(There’s a brief mention of political and other changes, but we’re going to stay far, far away from the election that’s happening at this time.) 

I'd love an elaboration on this, actually, given that I'm probably never going to see the episode myself.

16 hours ago, indianabones said:

I'd love an elaboration on this, actually, given that I'm probably never going to see the episode myself.

They didn’t elaborate.

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Deleted the snark
  • Haha 1

Episode 7, “If You’ve Got It, Flaunt It” (which never comes up in the episode)

Micah is on a date with a new woman, an FSU graduate named Leah. He takes her out to the family farm and shows her their horses. (He’s wearing a cowboy hat and boots.) The house is clean and organized, but not empty. It’s not clear how they use it now. Leah is from a big Hispanic family. They go for a horseback ride. She says that getting to know Micah is like peeling back the layers of an onion. He tells her a super gross story about eating peanuts (in the shell) that crows had put in cow manure. 

Olivia is working on her laptop at a bakery. She says she had to do something before they lost their marriage, but she has no long-term plan. She thinks the ball is in Ethan’s court, which is a little odd, since she’s the one who moved out. It appears that she’s still living in Cairo, even though she really wanted to leave. Apparently they’re not going to identify the friend she’s living with. 

Micah and Leah flirt on a bench swing. They kiss.

Olivia and Moriah are going to the beach with...Helena! It’s gonna be awkward if Micah chooses Leah and Helena’s friends with the girls. Moriah has only met Helena once. Olivia wishes she had more local friends. She’s really only friends with Moriah, and doesn’t want to confide in her since she’s Ethan’s sister. Also, “friends my age who are married aren’t going through this.” She must be friends with lots of young fundie wives who are cheerfully tuning out their first few kids. They’re staying in a really nice suite. Moriah remembers that when the Plaths traveled, the beds went to Kim/Barry and Ethan/Micah, while all the other kids slept on the floor. They go down to the pool and get drinks. Helena loves Micah “as a person,” but thinks they wouldn’t want the same things long-term. Olivia feels sad that no one told her that she could get close to a guy without marrying him.

Micah isn’t modeling right now and still doesn’t have his driver’s license back. He says “our friends growing up were as close to a replica of us as my parents could find.” His work friend comes over to give him his old game console. Unsurprisingly, his parents didn’t allow him to play video games. His friend observes that Micah was so sheltered that he gets excited about ordinary things. Micah isn’t sure what he wants in a relationship, and he feels like hanging around Cairo makes him lose sight of his ambitions.

Over in Sandestin, the girls (I know they’re adults, but I can’t help myself) get to the beach just as it starts to rain. They talk about the upcoming gig. Helena will be there. Olivia feels awkward when Helena asks if Barry and Kim can’t be there because she’s going to be there. Helena asks why the Plaths treat her differently than they treat Max. Olivia was young, and she asserted herself too much because she had never had to stand up for herself before. Plus they’re nicer to Max, having learned from Olivia’s situation. Helena is getting a lot of THs. 

And, finally, Ethan. He doesn’t know where Olivia is. He feels like “something is dying.” He’s working on a motorcycle. Olivia loves big emotional conversations and he hates them. Everything’s on hold. 

Olivia is picking up some of her stuff from the house. Ethan has left her a note saying that he’s also in need of some space and taking off for a while. Olivia is worried about him.

Next time: Micah gets a lecture on professionalism from his agent; Kim and Max’s mom go shopping with Moriah; and Olivia and Ethan have a talk.

• Thank You 13

Every time this pops up for me my brain says it’s Platteville Coming to TLC. 

• Upvote 1

I feel Olivia will leave as she doesn’t seem to be able to be herself and grow in her marriage.

loving the episode catch ups as we don’t get this show here

• Thank You 3

14 hours ago, Percy said:

I feel Olivia will leave as she doesn’t seem to be able to be herself and grow in her marriage.

loving the episode catch ups as we don’t get this show here

I follow Olivia on IG and they just recently had a story together promoting an app that helps you get closer to your partner. I'm happy to see they seem to have survived all this drama.

I've been finding the episodes streaming on Facebook, if you search for their titles or episode numbers.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 9/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Episode 6, “Is This a Date?”

Olivia has a therapy appointment. She and Ethan have talked about the move, but there’s no progress. They don’t talk much and aren’t communicating well. She’s nagging him about the move and he’s avoiding her. She’s hurt that he said that he wouldn’t have married her if he had known that she would change so much. Olivia says that her mom sacrificed too much, and then had regrets. Olivia wants Ethan to accept her. She’s torn about whether to compromise for the marriage.

It’s interesting that Olivia seems unable to see that Ethan has also sacrificed and compromised a lot for their marriage. I always got the sense she was pushing him to do things he wasn’t really comfortable with and now that he has (apparently) reached his limit and spoken up for himself, she suddenly feels like he is the one boxing her in, not the other way around.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Here's the new thread! Plaths are officially A Thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic