IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

JermajestyDuggar
22 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

When comparing the Plaths to families like the Duggars and Bates, you have to wonder how the Plath's failed and now have "rebellious" children, despite seemingly doing all the same things.

I partially think it has to do with the show as a cash cow. Notice how all ALMOST all the Duggars and Bates married couples come to live near their parents.

Just speaking from a way less serious issue, it was hard for me to just get a tattoo or move in with my boyfriend when my parents were still paying for my insurance and cell phone. I felt obligated to respect their wishes since they were financially supporting me. 

It does give hope to all the TV-less fundie children that they won't feel this burden and can get out. 

I think a lot of fundie families do a great job of hiding all the rebellious behavior. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JermajestyDuggar

• Marmion

• QuiverFullofBooks

• Natalie22

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heck. My kids don’t know who the president is and that’s fine by me.  

Hell, I wish I didn't know who the president is!

How fucking sad is it that we live in a world where we have to shield children from the president. I completely understand why people do it; I'm not insulting the fact that you have to, just that damn

Posted Images

JustmeandJas

Was this only a 5 episode series?

I think the parents have come off much worse than they thought they would. I wonder if they’ve watched it and seen how it’s been edited/what Moriah has said?

• Upvote 4
JustmeandJas
54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I thought it was a 6 episode series.

You were right!

Six will be aired on 10th December I think? (I’m in the UK so could be different).

• Upvote 1
JermajestyDuggar
8 minutes ago, JustmeandJas said:

You were right!

Six will be aired on 10th December I think? (I’m in the UK so could be different).

I think they are going to pick up the show for some more episodes though. It may not be a full second season. It may just be another six. But I have a very strong feeling TLC will be following Moriah and Micah some more. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1
JustmeandJas
1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think they are going to pick up the shoe for some more episodes though. It may not be a full second season. It may just be another six. But I have a very strong feeling TLC will be following Moriah and Micah some more. 

I think TLC like the Moriah/Micah aspect.

At the start of the series I kind of thought “here we go again...” but by the end of episode 4 (the last one I watched) TLC really seemed to be... I don’t know... maybe enabling(?) the “wayward” kids. They played on the talking heads of how sheltered the oldest was and how he’d never had coke. They could have missed that out completely or just shown a little bit.

Maybe they’ve learnt from That Other Family?

• Upvote 4
JermajestyDuggar
Just now, JustmeandJas said:

I think TLC like the Moriah/Micah aspect.

At the start of the series I kind of thought “here we go again...” but by the end of episode 4 (the last one I watched) TLC really seemed to be... I don’t know... maybe enabling(?) the “wayward” kids. They played on the talking heads of how sheltered the oldest was and how he’d never had coke. They could have missed that out completely or just shown a little bit.

Maybe they’ve learnt from That Other Family?

I think they are going the route of “Breaking Amish.” 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1
LittleOwl

Just watched Ep 3... oh wow. I just wanted to scream at the toxic controlling behaviour of the parents.  Kim's smug "I call it letting it simmer"... Ugh, bitch please.  You are enjoying ruling over your children under the guise of "protection".  

My mother pulls the same attitude when finding out I am sad, it's a power thing. Agh! 

• Upvote 6
Pleiades_06

Was this part of the last episode, or is it the preview for the next?

Honestly it’s really hard to say how much is an act on these shows, but I’m going to guess Kim and Barry thought this was a chance to sell their brand of fundie and TLC is turning it upside down on them. It’s definitely taking a “Breaking Amish” turn.

I’m just happy TLC isn’t  glorifying Kim. In the past, they made other controlling moms seem ok, like Kate Gosselin or Michelle Duggar (who was herself being controlled). 

• Upvote 4
OyToTheVey

I'm finally watching this show. Barry is so damn creepy. Like cross the street if I see you kinda creepy. There's just so much weird going on with them. But I think psychologically it's normal for kids of abusive parents to go the 180 route. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1
HarryPotterFan
On 11/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, Toto2 said:

So Kim did some online coursework to become a Naturopathic "Doctor".     She is no doctor.     There are many conditions a person needs to meet to be entitled to use the title "Doctor", and some funky online course doesn't legally allow her to misrepresent herself that way.

She is so slimy.

The podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie did an episode on how easy it is to become a certified naturopath. One online course and BAM! You’re done. http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2019/2/23/ross-and-carrie-become-naturopaths-centre-of-excellence-edition

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

The podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie did an episode on how easy it is to become a certified naturopath. One online course and BAM! You’re done. http://ohnopodcast.com/investigations/2019/2/23/ross-and-carrie-become-naturopaths-centre-of-excellence-edition

Being a naturopathic practitioner is not the same as tooting oneself as a Naturopathic DOCTOR.

• Thank You 1
amendgitan
On 11/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, Natalie22 said:

I'm guessing because honey is "natural" and less processed than other sugars.  It's one of those things where there are benefits to limiting the amount of sugar you are consuming, but by having an absolute ban on any processed sugar you make it a temptation and don't show your children how to moderate their consumption.

I’m an anti-sugar type (in large part because of my low blood sugar but I grew up hippy and we didn’t have sugar a lot. The second generation is similar now). And you’re absolutely right. Nothing wrong with keeping it out of the home and not allowing your kid to order a sweetened beverage while out. But radically denying everything sweet is counter-productive. 

This is an example of the rigid black and white thinking of these people that can cause their kids to want to get the hell away from them  

I was super glad that the kids got soda and ice cream when their creepy parents were gone  

It’s all about control for those parents  and I’m glad to see it’s not working. 

Denying kids something as ubiquitous as sugar is a mistake. 

One thing I’m surprised with though is their realization that they can’t or shouldn’t exert intense control over teenagers. So even though Moriah is underage she’s got way more leeway than the Duggars or Bates kids ever would.  

Edited by amendgitan
  • Upvote 7
amendgitan
On 11/22/2019 at 9:44 AM, theotherelise said:

I watched one episode, the recent one I guess where Ethan and Olivia come over when the parents are on their anniversary trip. Of course the played up sheltered angle is annoying because it's so clearly not completely real. 

It's pretty clear that the children, even the younger ones, are not completely oblivious to the world. Maybe it was easier to be sheltered before when the older kids were little, but we know that they have relationships with other families and most of those families are not 100% trying to keep their kids from knowing about the existence of the rest of the world. 

Moriah at least is shown with a smart phone. And they are allowed to work outside the home. Micah's comment was that by their mid-teens, they are expected to pay for anything beyond the basics. They can learn to drive, they can buy cars and take themselves places. Anyway, there is a difference between not know who Justin Bieber is and not knowing secular music exists and other people get to listen to it. 

It reminded me of this old segment from This American Life about a sheltered Hasidic man who secretly joined a band and performed in New York for a year: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/268/my-experimental-phase/act-one-0

I also laughed out loud when they were putting so much honey into the baked dish but claim to be zero sugar. I did low-Glycemic Index eating for a few months to work on weight loss with my PCOS. At a get together with girlfriends, one said she had made brownies or muffins or something and they didn't have any sugar in them. I had one to be nice and then she shared the recipe and it had both honey and applesauce in it 🤦‍♀️. Honey is not exactly the same as refined sugar when metabolized, but you cannot tell someone on a low-GI diet that something is zero sugar and then put a cup of honey in it!

There’s a Netflix series I adore from Israel called Shtisel. It’s so well done. Just beautiful. Super engaging. Incredible character development. 

It’s a drama about Ultra Orthodox Jews. It doesn’t show it from a super biased standpoint. It does show the humanity but also how the rigid lifestyle causes so much unnecessary pain.  

One of the creators broke from that world and is secular now. So he knows it very well. 

Its really a mesmerizing and beautiful program and it shows the little ways in which the secular world can sometimes break through in the lives of creative people. 

I hear a lot of Ultra Orthodox Jews are secretly watching it. (They aren’t supposed to watch tv). 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
amendgitan
On 12/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Pleiades_06 said:

Was this part of the last episode, or is it the preview for the next?

Honestly it’s really hard to say how much is an act on these shows, but I’m going to guess Kim and Barry thought this was a chance to sell their brand of fundie and TLC is turning it upside down on them. It’s definitely taking a “Breaking Amish” turn.

I’m just happy TLC isn’t  glorifying Kim. In the past, they made other controlling moms seem ok, like Kate Gosselin or Michelle Duggar (who was herself being controlled). 

Oh I have to respectfully disagree with Michelle Duggar being controlled! The feverish light of zealotry burns like the sun in her eyes. 

I think she’s almost worse than her husband when it comes to her fanaticism for the extremist fundie life. I actually think she would have loved to die in childbirth, birthing another warrior for Christ. 

I also think she would happily attend stonings and burnings of adulterers and gay people and smile sweetly to her kids (who she would bring along)  as she explained that God punishes his children when they do wrong. 

She’s scary. A Dolores Umbridge type, in my opinion. Except I do think she actually does like her kids and can have nice moments with them. But when it comes to her religio-political views? She’s insane. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
Pleiades_06
2 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Oh I have to respectfully disagree with Michelle Duggar being controlled! The feverish light of zealotry burns like the sun in her eyes. 

I think she’s almost worse than her husband when it comes to her fanaticism for the extremist fundie life. I actually think she would have loved to die in childbirth, birthing another warrior for Christ. 

I also think she would happily attend stonings and burnings of adulterers and gay people and smile sweetly to her kids (who she would bring along)  as she explained that God punishes his children when they do wrong. 

She’s scary. A Dolores Umbridge type, in my opinion. Except I do think she actually does like her kids and can have nice moments with them. But when it comes to her religio-political views? She’s insane. 

Fascinating assessment-I have a hard time deciding how much she controls and doesn’t. She’s so different from Kim Plath 

amendgitan
19 minutes ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Fascinating assessment-I have a hard time deciding how much she controls and doesn’t. She’s so different from Kim Plath 

She’s vested. She’s very vested. I think she loves all of this and might even have been the one to pull the couple into the extreme lifestyle. She reminds me of the crazy wife in Handmaiden’s Tale (the book. I haven’t watched the series). 

• Upvote 3
bluesargent
21 hours ago, amendgitan said:

One thing I’m surprised with though is their realization that they can’t or shouldn’t exert intense control over teenagers. So even though Moriah is underage she’s got way more leeway than the Duggars or Bates kids ever would.  

This. I can see the control that they are using with the younger children, and it is clear from listening to the older kids speak how much damage has already been done. Lydia especially breaks my heart as she’s pulled in two very different directions. In a normal family she would be worried about hanging out with her siblings, not trying to raise them while also seeming to be the household maid.

But when it comes to the older teenagers who have already broken the mold? Kim gives them leeway that my relatively typical parents never would have. When they left to go bowling with their friends, I couldn’t believe Kim’s main request was to be back by midnight. It was the same thing when Micah said he was going to a modeling agency. Kim was surprised, but she didn’t try to stop it from happening. 

It’s a very interesting dynamic to see how they hold onto their control and where they see fit to loosen the reins a bit. 

• Upvote 10
Natalie22
5 hours ago, bluesargent said:

This. I can see the control that they are using with the younger children, and it is clear from listening to the older kids speak how much damage has already been done. Lydia especially breaks my heart as she’s pulled in two very different directions. In a normal family she would be worried about hanging out with her siblings, not trying to raise them while also seeming to be the household maid.

But when it comes to the older teenagers who have already broken the mold? Kim gives them leeway that my relatively typical parents never would have. When they left to go bowling with their friends, I couldn’t believe Kim’s main request was to be back by midnight. It was the same thing when Micah said he was going to a modeling agency. Kim was surprised, but she didn’t try to stop it from happening. 

It’s a very interesting dynamic to see how they hold onto their control and where they see fit to loosen the reins a bit. 

I wonder if some of this is because of the cameras.  I know Olivia has said that her and Ethan hadn't seen any of the kids until the show started filming.  I wonder if Kim and Barry aren't enforcing their rules because they are afraid of how they would look.

• Upvote 10
Rebelwife
On 12/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, JustmeandJas said:

You were right!

It's definitely Dec. 10th.  There's apparently a viewing party in Tallahassee that the family will be attending.  Don't know any details beyond that, other than it's at a bar?!?!?! 👀

• Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
JustmeandJas
1 minute ago, Rebelwife said:

It's definitely Dec. 10th.  There's apparently a viewing party in Tallahassee that the family will be attending.  Don't know any details beyond that, other than it's at a bar?!?!?! 👀

We can guess which part of the family won’t be happy with that...

• Haha 2
Rebelwife

My daughter is possibly going to go as a plus one, so that will be interesting if she ends up at the event. (Except that she is not fundy literate and will probably not be able to report back any useful information.  Hmph.)

• Upvote 2
JermajestyDuggar
19 minutes ago, Rebelwife said:

My daughter is possibly going to go as a plus one, so that will be interesting if she ends up at the event. (Except that she is not fundy literate and will probably not be able to report back any useful information.  Hmph.)

Get her up to speed ;)

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
coexist
On 12/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, Natalie22 said:

I wonder if some of this is because of the cameras.  I know Olivia has said that her and Ethan hadn't seen any of the kids until the show started filming.  I wonder if Kim and Barry aren't enforcing their rules because they are afraid of how they would look.

I'm sure a lot of it is for the cameras, but one of the first things that I noticed was how short some of Moriah's shorts are and how some of her shirts have spaghetti straps. Those things were already in her closet before the cameras. My mother would never have given me permission to bring those items into the house or put them on my person at 16, lol! Especially in front of tv cameras! I thought having that small amount of freedom showed that they're at least more lenient with the older kids than my fundie-lite folks.

• Upvote 4