IGNORED

Fundie Divorces

Bethella

I guess that happens if you've  connected  sex with marriage in your head and you can't unconnect that . 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, hasunah said:

I guess that happens if you've  connected  sex with marriage in your head and you can't unconnect that . 

I once dated a guy whose mother was married 7 times. And yes, she was quite religious! 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 5

One of Barbara Mandrell’s sisters(can’t remember which one)has been married several times, and justified it by saying “I was raised that you don’t have sex outside of marriage.  So I got married a lot.”

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

One of Barbara Mandrell’s sisters(can’t remember which one)has been married several times, and justified it by saying “I was raised that you don’t have sex outside of marriage.  So I got married a lot.”

Elizabeth Taylor said that, too.  Except I don't believe the part about her not having had sex outside of marriage.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

Elizabeth Taylor said that, too.  Except I don't believe the part about her not having had sex outside of marriage.

I think some women have sex with a man and then feel like they should marry them since they had sex with them. I’m glad that mentality is falling out of favor in the US. 

• Upvote 13

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 3:02 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder how many times he will be married before he just gives up.

It's like Tinder but instead of getting laid you get married.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 10:26 PM, CaptainFunderpants said:

The thing is, on the one hand I am a proud and militant atheist. On the other hand the universe is so mind blowingly huge, and... Where did we come from? How did we become semi-sentient stardust? How can the universe be so big? Why are we born into a universe that we're too pitifully small to understand? How did the big bang happen? When did time start? How is time real?

Occasionally, when I think about multiple galaxies, I feel like I'm on the edge of an abyss. What would happen if I fully comprehended the immenseness of space -- would I just become an instantaneous one-person Big Bang?

OK, back to our regular programming! 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is not about a super fundy, but someone who escaped an abusive church and now, finally a 35-year abusive marriage.  Julie Anne, at Spiritual Sounding Board (Finding resolve amidst the dissonance of "churchianity")  filed for divorce last October and is now finally and formally divorced. 

Her July 15 update about the process is certainly worth a read: A personal update from Julie Anne

Link to the "About" section of her blog: 

spiritualsoundingboard.com/about/

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Glad this woman got away. Can someone tell me how many kids she has. 

If you read her linked update, she says she has seven.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Also, on her blog and update, most (all?) of these kids are adults and out of the house. They were all extremely supportive of her leaving the marriage.  When I was regularly checking on her blog, she was working on a college degree in cyber security and I was happy to see that she has now graduated and is working in her field. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

If you read her linked update, she says she has seven.

Thanks I didn’t read the whole update. 

The reason the update is important, is that it seems that even those who are aware of what an abusive relationship/church/marriage is, and may counsel other women to get the hell out STAT, she hung around in her own very bad marriage for longer, much longer, than she should have because she fell for the marriage is sacred shtick and she thought if she just....(insert whatever here), that the marriage could/might work. Apparently everyone around her knew she should leave, and were relieved when she did! 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if she’s fundy, but Rachel Hollis (author of “Girl, Go Wash Your Face”) and her husband have announced they’re divorcing. 

• Thank You 5

On 7/14/2020 at 5:53 AM, Howl said:

Occasionally, when I think about multiple galaxies, I feel like I'm on the edge of an abyss. What would happen if I fully comprehended the immenseness of space -- would I just become an instantaneous one-person Big Bang?

OK, back to our regular programming! 

This is so great to me.  I have a mental bug about our constantly expanding Universe.  What happens if we bump into another expanding Universe?  Does another Big Bang happen?  ?  

OK back to Bro. 

Edited by Don'tlikekoolaid
Not Bro thread so back to wherever I am. Edibles are involved.
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

I don’t know if she’s fundy, but Rachel Hollis (author of “Girl, Go Wash Your Face”) and her husband have announced they’re divorcing. 

From a quick perusal on Wikipedia, she doesn’t seem fundy to me. The only times she seems to be mentioned here is in reference to Lori’s attacks on her.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, Bethella said:

From a quick perusal on Wikipedia, she doesn’t seem fundy to me. The only times she seems to be mentioned here is in reference to Lori’s attacks on her.

She was raised Pentecostal so you can definitely see some influence there. But I wouldn’t say she is fundie. She’s openly Christian though. 

• Upvote 2

She’s not really fundy, per se, but the whole “just try harder!” middle class white lady vibe is tired. Imagine running a marriage podcast and writing a book about marriage and having your identity as “Married Person Who Is Married” and getting a divorce and asking for privacy.
Whooooo, Rachel, I DON’T THINK SO.
Watching the House of Hollis fall apart is super weird.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, bea said:

She’s not really fundy, per se, but the whole “just try harder!” middle class white lady vibe is tired. Imagine running a marriage podcast and writing a book about marriage and having your identity as “Married Person Who Is Married” and getting a divorce and asking for privacy.
Whooooo, Rachel, I DON’T THINK SO.
Watching the House of Hollis fall apart is super weird.

Rachel only succeeded because of who she married. He had money and connections to big wigs at Disney. If she had never married her husband, she wouldn’t have succeeded in her event planning business or book writing. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Shhhh! We don’t talk about things like husband’s connections, parents investment, or starting off with no school loans.
Just work hard! You know, hustle!
(Shoves 9 tons of privilege behind a screen.)

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 12

20 hours ago, bea said:

Shhhh! We don’t talk about things like husband’s connections, parents investment, or starting off with no school loans.
Just work hard! You know, hustle!
(Shoves 9 tons of privilege behind a screen.)

She also apparently had no qualms about taking money from MLM organizations as keynote speakers at their conventions. 

Edited by FiveAcres
fixing grammar
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 2

On 8/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, FiveAcres said:

She also apparently had no qualms about taking money from MLM organizations as keynote speakers at their conventions. 

I wonder how she will spin this for her next motivational MLM keynote "Training" - "I was almost sad about my divorce...but then I just tried harder at every other aspect of my life and won!!!! If I did it with ZERO help...you can sell that overpriced shampoo/shakes/oils/leggings!"

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Abraham and Anna Hale have split. He says he’s a single dad On FB. 

They have a restraining order according to the court source that had the birth dates, but it may be out of date because I've also seen them interact on FB.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Abraham and Anna Hale have split. He says he’s a single dad On FB. 

According to my spreadsheet, they split a while ago. I got the info from fundiwiki in June, which says they split after 2017.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic