IGNORED

Fundie Divorces

Bethella

10 hours ago, Bethella said:

According to my spreadsheet, they split a while ago. I got the info from fundiwiki in June, which says they split after 2017.

I noticed quite a while ago that they'd split up but forgot to mention it on here. I went back through FB and think that they split sometime in late 2018 or early 2019.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that correction!  I don't know why it popped up as a current news item on some random web site.  

Update: Looks like Perry has written a book about anxiety and started a new church.  No word on how he's maintaining sobriety, if indeed he is. 

He's on twitter and has two companies, one on how to grow your church and another on how to grow a business.  Sorry, but the church growing web site does not look at all professional:  iwantmychurchtogrow.com/

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly fundie, but I find this so sad.  I don't know too much about Jen Hatmaker, except that she's an influential Christian writer who left behind her conservative Christian roots and came out strongly in favor of supporting the LGBT community.  She and her husband started Austin New Church (Methodist roots, but I think they may have parted ways over the official Methodist position on not allowing gay marriage) in my city and then hosted some HGTV shows on home renovations.  Anyway, she and her husband have divorced after five kids and a long marriage.  Sounds as though she was blindsided and devastated. 

Here's one random article off the interwebs: Jen Hatmaker Criticizes Cruel 'Interlopers' In Divorce Announcement

• Sad 4

I feel a lot more sympathy than I do for Rachel Holli$, who went from classes on marriage to “vulnerable” post-divorce book without a single skipped beat.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

For some reason, Rachel Hollis and her ex are mentioned in articles about Jen Hatmaker's breakup.  I don't know if they are friends or even know each other or if it's just that both couples were considered Christian
"influencers" with mega followings whose marriages imploded. 

5 minutes ago, Howl said:

For some reason, Rachel Hollis and her ex are mentioned in articles about Jen Hatmaker's breakup.  I don't know if they are friends or even know each other or if it's just that both couples were considered Christian
"influencers" with mega followings whose marriages imploded. 

I think that’s probably it. Although Jen was more outspoken about her religious beliefs than Rachel. 

• Upvote 1

I think an article also mention that Dave Hollis commented on Jen's IG post "in support". So they also had that to use as a bit of a segue to fill up space with stuff about what they see as a similar story.

• Upvote 1

I might be very late to the game here... but have you all seen Lina's (of "Lina and Taliban Tony, everyone's favorite former fake Jews" fame) Instagram? You know, the one where she talks endlessly about the importance of courtship and following your headship and if you don't have a headship, doing whatever your father says even if you're a grown woman with children? The one where she bloviates about modest, feminine dress a la Lady Lydia ca. 2008?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, darkplumaged said:

I might be very late to the game here... but have you all seen Lina's (of "Lina and Taliban Tony, everyone's favorite former fake Jews" fame) Instagram? You know, the one where she talks endlessly about the importance of courtship and following your headship and if you don't have a headship, doing whatever your father says even if you're a grown woman with children? The one where she bloviates about modest, feminine dress a la Lady Lydia ca. 2008?

So, she's divorced...who is she mooching off of to support her family? Her parents? If so, they're crazier than she is! 

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

So, she's divorced...who is she mooching off of to support her family? Her parents? If so, they're crazier than she is! 

Yes, she and her kids live with her parents.

I wasn't particularly into Lina snark back in the day, though I remember thinking her and Tony's foray into "Judaism," such as it was, was hilarious. But now I'm intrigued; Lina experts, what have I missed for the last decade?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, darkplumaged said:

Yes, she and her kids live with her parents.

I wasn't particularly into Lina snark back in the day, though I remember thinking her and Tony's foray into "Judaism," such as it was, was hilarious. But now I'm intrigued; Lina experts, what have I missed for the last decade?

That would be a huge "HELL NO" from me. If you're desperate and one step from homeless, you can stay w/me to get on your feet. Otherwise...nope. Fortunately all my kids have good jobs and would not be relying on mom for support. As a matter of fact it's sort of, kind of reversed. My son (who built my apartment) is insisting on paying for all sorts of things these days. I'm cool with it though, I consider it pay back for all the $$ I've loaned him over the years...we discussed it and agreed on that. 

I would hope Taliban Tony is at least paying child support. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I wonder what ended her marriage. She seems like the perfect fundie wife & mother. 

Her ex-husband was a real piece of work, though I don't remember now specifically what he did. And she's been all over the place religion-wise, delving into Catholicism, elements of messianic Judaism, evangelical Christianity, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

It just goes to show that you can be a perfect fundie wife and your marriage could still implode. Look at Emily Case Brower. Or Kelly Brown Bradrick. There are no guarantees. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, darkplumaged said:

Her ex-husband was a real piece of work, though I don't remember now specifically what he did. And she's been all over the place religion-wise, delving into Catholicism, elements of messianic Judaism, evangelical Christianity, etc.

Hadn't paid attention to her in years.

She's still wack and still a total narcissist but is now quoting Debi Pearl's Created To Be His Helpmeet and the Botkinettes. Looks like her followers are too fucking stupid to see either the irony or the hypocrisy.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 9
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, darkplumaged said:

I hadn't seen her IG but she & Taliban Tony have been divorced for quite a while. They separated, reconciled, had a 2nd kid, then divorced. He is atheist now. She continues to be a delusional woman even though she is a divorced, single mother of two. She went from fake Jew to Catholic. I don't know which brand she is now. 

I don't know who supports her. I'm sure he pays child support, but otherwise? She's too precious to get a job so someone has to be footing the bill for her to live in her soft little flowery world. 

She has a post there about the Moody book. She manages to cite her "love of literature" in a post about Sarah Maxwell's book. Um, I think she misses the concept of literature entirely. But, that's not even remotely surprising. She's also an Above Rubies fan.

I think I answered my own question. She appears to have left Catholicism behind for your standard run of the mill Evangelical Kristianity. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

The first person I always go to when I have questions about marriage is ALWAYS a divorced single mom running a FB page about how to be a successful wife.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 21
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

On 12/3/2020 at 7:24 AM, bea said:

The first person I always go to when I have questions about marriage is ALWAYS a divorced single mom running a FB page about how to be a successful wife.

Lol! I mean, to be fair, my first unsuccessful marriage taught me more about marriage than anything else (what to not tolerate, how to not respond, what makes people not compatible, basically what NOT to do). I grew and changed a lot and credit the hard lessons I learned for many of the better decisions I’ve made in my current happy marriage. . . . But somehow I don’t think that’s the case with Lina. Not really seeing much growth, change, or self-reflection there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how fundie she is any more or what her real name is but the "freckled fox" and her husband have separated. She's the one who got married young, had a bunch of children and then her husband died of cancer and she immediately remarried. There was some issue where her new husband shot her or her husband (can 't remember which) and some financial issues. Anyway around Christmas she suddenly announced she and her family were selling their house (that they had bought with a friend) and moving to an RV and homeschooling. Then she suddenly announced she and her husband were separated and she was sending her children to a public school and moving to yet another house while she sold her other houses. Her life seems full of drama but now with much less fundamentalism.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 14

5 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I'm not sure how fundie she is any more or what her real name is but the "freckled fox" and her husband have separated. She's the one who got married young, had a bunch of children and then her husband died of cancer and she immediately remarried. There was some issue where her new husband shot her or her husband (can 't remember which) and some financial issues. Anyway around Christmas she suddenly announced she and her family were selling their house (that they had bought with a friend) and moving to an RV and homeschooling. Then she suddenly announced she and her husband were separated and she was sending her children to a public school and moving to yet another house while she sold her other houses. Her life seems full of drama but now with much less fundamentalism.

She wasn’t fundie. Just Mormon. Technically mainstream Mormon isn’t fundie but they have some overlap. Her name is Emily Meyer and her second husband is Richard Carmack. I’m glad she got away from him. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 2

There's a fine line between fundie, fundielite and mainstream conservative christian.

I am so happy Emily Meyer "Freckled Fox" is separated from her husband. I hope it leads to a divorce. I've been nervous since I first heard of her, which was the thread in which the shooting was being discussed. They claimed it was an accident, but it sounded like a strange accident to me. 

Good for her! I'm sending good wishes to her and the kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I am so happy Emily Meyer "Freckled Fox" is separated from her husband. I hope it leads to a divorce.

Yes, this is only good news. Richard Carmack -- a.k.a. Man Bun or Dick Bun -- seemed like bad news all the way around. He was probably interested primarily in Emily's money & property, which her first husband had been very careful to leave her so that she and the children would have something to live on.

The shooting -- Dick Bun's friend, who was actually there when it happened, said, "He didn't respect the gun" -- was said to be accidental...Also, Dick Bun never did a lick of paying work that anyone could discern but seemed to spend plenty (of Emily's money) on toys for himself. Finally, and perhaps most concerning, he did not seem to like her children very much and was always insisting that they be quiet around the house. Emily has had a girl with him so that will be a complicating factor in any separation and divorce, but I really hope she dumps him for good.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic